Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now DOTD

Format: PaperbackChange

on September 12, 2015
Like most books on Drupal, this one covers the basics but does not address the questions than an experienced Drupal developer may have. I think anyone would be better off reading documentation or starting with contrib modules like coder, module_builder and examples.

If you have no Drupal experience at all, this book might help you get off the ground and I'd probably recommend it.
on August 18, 2015
I was learning pretty steady, but the code that i downloaded does not follow the same format as the book. Yeah the code is all their, but their are extra files in chapter 6 that have the code broken up into them, no explanation of this is given in the book. So when my code doesnt work i like it is not now, i am back tracking through files to see whats different in my code than his. I dont know how this book received all of these great reviews. I mean in chapter 6, the entire code for "hook permissions is missing", i found it in the code and had to put it in. If i was not so desperate to learn i would ditch this book, and find another. I have learned a few things and half way through now, but it really takes your time up when you type every thing correctly and follow the book, and you code still does not produce the desired results, and you have to spend days back tracking and comparing your code to the download code.
on December 13, 2014
on November 28, 2014
This was an excellent book to see how modules are created.
on November 12, 2013
This is a good step by step tutorial on implementing modules in D7. I have found it to be clear and concise. My only criticism is that I would prefer terser explanations between the code examples, if possible. I have not finished the book yet, but I plan to, as it has improved my understanding, so far.
on October 10, 2013
The technical content of this book is exceptional and the authors have done an excellent job writing clearly and providing meaningful examples. The problem is that the Kindle version of this book lost all formatting on the code samples. Every block of code in the book is flush left to the margin--no nesting of code!!! In a few cases the code does not start on a new line--it just continues on at the end of the preceding line (at times with no white space where the one line ends and the following line of code begins.

I have viewed the book on my Kindle software on my PC and my Android tablet.

This makes the book hard to digest when reading the code samples. I suspect this problem is due to the compression method used by PACKT Publishing and is not the fault of the authors. Non the less, you need to understand the challenge you will have before you when reading the Kindle version of this book.
on August 27, 2013
Thorough and easy to use Did the job and was easy to use and a very good buy. Would highly recommend
on July 14, 2013
Having been a professional software web developer for almost 20 years, I've been dealing with Drupal development on and off for a couple of years now, personally and professionally. Just when I got a bit of expertise with Drupal 6, I was thrown into working with Drupal 7 and my learning curve had to adjust significantly since I was still learning Drupal in general and had to re-learn several important concepts as well as refresh the ones I (thought I) understood.
Drupal is an amazing tool that is quickly evolving into a very mature, well-structured yet flexible framework that, if not already, will be required learning for any professional web software developer.
As much as anyone, although I fully understand why there is a dearth of a complete approach to Drupal documentation, it is nonetheless a constant irritation when trying to grasp the complicated internals and best practices when working with it. As a result I've dedicated myself to researching all takes on Drupal - online, in user groups, and in print - with the idea of triangulating the information from each resource to get a better grasp of what's going on and how to make the best use of such a complex yet effective tool.
I think I've seen examples the best and the worst of what's out there. Some resources are poor, ill-designed as teaching tools, and sometimes wrong or at best out-dated; others are amazingly helpful, quickly get to the point, and treat viewers/readers as development-literate peers which is just what I've needed.
Drupal 7 Module Development in my experience so far is the best-of-breed. Although it seems mainly geared to professional, experienced developers who simply have never quite *got* Drupal, it takes the time to break down fully, step by step, the constituent factors that go into building modules and everything (database interfaces, theming, administration) related to it and how it all works together. I especially appreciate that, in several tutorials, alternate tacks are taken in order to reach the same results sometimes even to the point of deliberate dead ends which further illuminate how an effective approach works.
I would not at all recommend this book for those new to Drupal. The web and book stores are packed with introductory primers on it, many of which are excellent within the scope of exposing it to newcomers. I especially find many of the videos on YouTube to be good places to begin. However anyone who is coming to Drupal as a seasoned developer who can take the time to 'unlearn' practices to which they may be more accustomed and that are standard workflows in other platforms and frameworks in order to grasp how Drupal work should definitely check this book. This is the one that, for me, finally got me over the hump, as it were.
I would also add that The Definitive Guide To Drupal 7 is a strong second choice.
on March 24, 2013
But I would like to see more complete functions description like in Bjarne Stroustrup's amazing book "The C++ Programming Language".
on November 5, 2012
The author is very knowledgeable, and explains how various hooks work while taking you through some of the Drupal internals along the way. The first few chapters introduce the basics of modules and a related topic theming. But shortly after, there is a very steep curve where beginners are left in the dust. I guess this can't be helped since module development is a relatively advanced topic. If you're starting out like I am, do read this book but only after you have a solid foundation.