Dry as Rain
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$10.05+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 34 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
on August 28, 2011
Behind every broken vow, lies a broken heart.

When Eric and Kyra Yoshida first met, they thought their love would last forever. But like many marriages, theirs has crumbled, one thoughtless comment and misunderstanding at a time, until the ultimate betrayal pushes them beyond reconciliation. Though Eric longs to reunite with Kyra, the only woman he has truly loved, he has no idea how to repair the damage that has been done.

Then a car accident erases part of Kyra's memory - including her separation from Eric - and a glimmer of hope rises from the wreckage. Is this a precious opportunity for the fresh start Eric has longed for? Does he even deserve the chance to find forgiveness and win back Kyra's heart? Or will the truth blow up in his face, shattering their last hope for happiness?

My Review:

I received Dry As Rain by Gina Holmes compliments of Tyndale House Publishers for my honest review and found this to be a perfect example of what it truly means to seek and find forgiveness. While the premise behind the story involves infidelity, the second chance that Eric sees as a sign from God leads him to delay telling Kyra the truth, even though the doctors have warned him that Kyra's memory could come back at any time.

He spends the first few nights dealing with the feelings of guilt, remorse and regret because even though Kyra remembers nothing, he still knows that nothing has changed from his own perspective. He now holds in his hand a simple choice, to tell the truth or live a lie, and ultimately he chooses wrong. The book is filled with what happens when we don't live alongside God's truth and the darkness that will follow for those wrong decisions.

For once I was happy that this didn't end up the way we would all like, because much like reality, we don't get second chances. Not all our life decisions end up for the best and sometimes life throws us a curve ball. Yet its what we chose to do in THAT moment at the crossroads, that determines the course of the life that follows. This is a shining example of that and how the road to forgiveness isn't an easy path as we'd like it to be sometimes. That is real and for that reason, I award, Dry As Rain, a perfect 5 out of 5 stars because life isn't perfect!
on August 1, 2012
This novel really stretched my mind...as Eric grew from a self centered, inconsiderate husband who had willingly committed adultery with a co-worker, to one who was willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice to win back his wife in a marriage going south fast. Told from his point of in the first person present, gives the reader first hand knowledge of Eric's thoughts (which also includes his intentions) and actions. It was an interesting read as I have not often read this type of novel as told from the male character's perspective. I would have to say I think Gina managed very well in portraying this. I appreciated how his friend and fellow worker tried to keep Eric on the straight and narrow, though I am not sure that in real life we would always have a friend who would be willing to step out and face us.
Having his wife Kyra living in the shadows of not remembering the recent pass gives Eric a type of blank page to work with. It was rewarding to me as a reader to see how Eric tried to redeem himself of his past indiscretions and misdemeanors first with works and then with the truth. I appreciated the fact that this story is told with candor and realistically deals with the theme of unfaithfulness and comes to a satisfactory conclusion.
I would love to recommend this novel to my friends, especially those who have read novels that deal with the theme of unfaithfulness to a spouse with an unsatisfactory ending. Those who do not like romance novels should find this equally engaging, and those who do like romance in their stories will enjoy this one as well.

This novel can be found where ever fine books are sold.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Gina Holmes in a master wordsmith and story weaver and in her second novel, Dry as Rain, I was once again captivated.

I love first person novels and done well, I feel I can really crawl within the skin of the character. The first person in the male point of view isn't often seen, but I thought it well done. There were a few times I would have liked to climb within the mind of Kyra (the wife) and feel what she was thinking, but for the most part she was a transparent character, which worked well on the `stage' of this story.

The plot of this book will, I believe, touch many lives. Relationships, control, mistakes, you don't necessarily have to be going through a separation or divorce to grasp the depth of Eric and Kyra's emotions.

I grew to admire Eric's convictions as he realized just how much he did not want to lose his wife. We don't realize how much we want something until we can't have it. This novel kept me hanging. 15 pages from the end and I wasn't sure how it was going to wrap up! There is a great concept to this novel that takes it beyond just "finding love" again. There is depth to the plot.

An excellent story cover to cover, I am once again thrilled with the voice of Gina Holmes. She crafts a masterful story!

This review is my honest opinion. Thanks to the publishers for my copy to review.
on August 31, 2011
Gina Holmes' book surprised me. I never expect fairly new authors to be very good and don't generally run to their books, or even finish them if I do decide to try them out. But Dry as Rain was a very moving story.

I decided to read Dry as Rain because I was in the mood for fiction and there was no historical fiction available for review. I'm glad there wasn't, because truly this book touched my heart.

It's a love story about a marriage that's falling apart. Eric has cheated on his wife and she's leaving him... and then she has an accident that leaves her memory a mess. The last she remembers, she was madly in love with Eric.

God uses what could have been a disaster and turns it around for good... but not in the easy-going, lovey-dovey way you might expect. The story screams genuine and the ending iss very bittersweet... but mostly just sweet. You definitely need kleenexes for the last few pages of this one!

Thanks so much to Blogging for Books for providing me this book for the purposes of a fair and honest review!
on July 18, 2012
Eric Yoshida, manager at a car dealership, has been married to Kyra for 20 years. He awoke to the reality of a failed marriage, one that was supposed to last a lifetime. When Kyra is the victim of an accident and her memory lapses from the time spent apart from Eric, he begins to think that maybe this is a blessing. Can love be renewed or will it just fade?

What a fantastic and realistic novel! I loved every minute spent reading and digging deeper into the characters lives and situations. I was highly entertained and found this novel to be impossible to break away from, but when I did have to leave it for a short period of time, I couldnt wait to continue and see what happens to the characters. From the beginning I was glued to the pages. Well formed and interesting characters, exciting storyline and ending. Romance, deception, heartbreak and compassion at its best. I will highly recommend this well written novel to others.
on April 19, 2012
Dry as Rain is a book about sin, forgiveness and redemption. Forgiveness and redemption in a marriage gone dry. A story of a married couple who have lost their way, spiritually and relationally. It's a multifaceted and riveting account of a husband who realizes "too late" that he has made a terrible and seemingly unforgivable betrayal.
I love stories like this one that reveal a REAL aspect of the human condition and the concept of finding God's forgiveness, repentance with accompanying sacrifice, to right the wrongs in relationships.
In Dry as Rain the characters blend with aspects of family life that affect the whole of a family. Gina has given us a real-to-life narrative that makes us look inside ourselves and see what God is willing to do with a repented heart and a tenacious and creative spirit!
on June 11, 2012
I read, "Crossing Oceans", Gina's 1st book, and enjoyed it very much. When I heard she'd finished her 2nd book I was excited to read it, knowing it would be good. However, it wasn't just good - it was GREAT! Without giving anything away, I want to say the issue of unfaithfulness in marriage is handled delicately and very realistically. The story is told from the husband's point of view and there is not condemnation or justification for him being unfaithful to his marriage vows. I know she has a 3rd book coming out sometime in the next few months and I'm SUPER excited to read it!!!
on December 28, 2013
The depth of emotion with the reality of life's difficulties, made this well-written book a fast read! It delves into marriage & infidelity, imperfect people who struggle to understand what went wrong, and brings hope into the picture because of God's grace.
on November 3, 2013
Gina Holmes had my attention from the first sentence in Dry As Rain like she did in Crossing Oceans. This story was a "real life" topic and she did not soft soap it. I can't wait to read her next book. Gina Holmes' way of taking a very tough topic and making it something you can't put down until the last word is amazing.
on December 19, 2011
Dry as Rain is not only a great title, but an incredible story of redemption and discovering what is truly important in life. Money won't keep you warm at night or hold your hand when you are old. Just like in real life, the author doesn't make it easy on the characters when their lives unravel. I've read a number of great books this year on the subject of infidelity and found this one to be better than most for a number of reasons. First, I loved how the author wrote the entire story from the male point of view even though the author is a woman. I thought she did a great job with first person point of view. Eric's internal dialog rang true to me. For the duration of the novel, I felt like I was Eric.

I really empathized with Eric on a number of issues. He'd dug himself a pretty big hole with a few dumb decisions that cost him dearly, and he couldn't take the consequences back for a do-over. Who wouldn't want their wife to forget the bad stuff from their past when an opportunity to have their heart's desire--intimacy with the person who hate been hateful toward them--presented itself? The guilt he experienced was plenty of punishment, and typically the anguish a person can inflict on himself from guilt is often worse than what the spouse can dish out anyway.

While it's not an excuse, as is true in most affairs, one person strays because the other has grown cold toward them. It usually starts out with something as innocent as an e-mail. Most of the people I know who have had infidelity in their marriage said it started the same way. It's a sorry substitute to feel valued and attractive by someone other than your life-mate, which Eric soon discovered after he got a taste of what he thought he wanted. He learned the hard way that he'd sacrificed his family to earn more money, which caused his wife to resent him and grow distant. So many men do that when what their family really wants is not a bigger house, but a dad and husband who spends time with them.

I have never understood how women can become such witches when they have been cheated on, but I found the portrayal in this novel totally believable because I've known many women who acted just like Kyra did. Their anger and hurt just makes them look ugly and bitter, rather than attractive and someone desirable to the person who cheated. So in my opinion, Eric was a saint to be patient with her. I know he's the one who did wrong, but how many times does someone need to be yelled at and reminded of what they did wrong over and over again? He was truly sorry for what he did. He realized his mistake and had no desire to repeat it. Bitterness just hurts the person who is bitter about things, and Kyra was a great example of that. Sure she had the right to be angry, but she hurt herself more than she hurt Eric.

At any rate, I loved how the story played out and how Eric learned to be honest with himself and others over time. I loved how his priorities changed and how he decided to never give up regardless of what he faced every day. Most of all, I loved how God took an ugly situation and turned it around so it was used for the good. Great story with a convincing spiritual arc too. This is a powerful novel that is definitely making my top fiction list for 2011.