Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

Showing 1-10 of 33 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on November 9, 2012
I bought this Dual XDMA6415 less than three months ago. At first it worked fine but even after the first couple weeks, I started noticing problems. It became fuzzy sounding and the bluetooth stopped connecting. My iPod stopped charging and I replaced the chord twice with no results. After checking the wiring and the device, there is no connection problems. Now the radio does not function at all, nor does anything else for that matter.

I emailed the company about the 1 year limited warranty and after three weeks, never received a response. I called the contact number listed and I can never speak with an actual person. I am really disappointed with amazon, because they should not be selling a product with such a sketchy service warranty. I guess you get what you pay for. I should have spent the extra cash instead of wasting it down the drain with this piece of crap.

The warranty info if you are interested:[...]
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 9, 2013
I bought this stereo after my previous one got stolen. It had great features- bluetooth connectivity, USB/iPod link, etc. Installation was pretty straight forward, no surprises there. The first thing I noticed was that the CD player function did not work. It would play CDs but I could not skip between tracks. However, I mainly used it for connecting my iPhone so not a big deal. The bluetooth function worked for a few calls, then that stopped working too. The unit would freeze while trying to connect to my phone and I would have to detach the faceplate and reset the whole thing. Very annoying.

I kept using this receiver for almost another year after these initial problems, until one day my phone stopped charging with the USB cable, and then a month after that I stopped hearing any sound from the speakers at all. I assumed that something must be wrong with the speaker wiring or the ground cable, something like that, but I decided to try replacing the head unit just to see if that fixed anything.

I bought the kenwood bt555u and the difference between the two is night and day. The kenwood has all the same features, plus pandora control and sirius XM compatibility. However, all of the kenwood unit's features work superbly, and actually makes my music come alive. I didn't realize how much sound quality I had been missing with the Dual stereo. I just assumed that all head units produce more or less the same sound, but I could not have been more wrong! The kenwood produces a crisp, powerful sound, and makes my four 6.5" speakers sound like a professional sound system with two subs and tweeters. Really really incredible dynamic range. It's like I'm actually hearing my music the way it was intended to sound for the first time.

All that to say, pay the extra $30-40 to get a better receiver, this one is poorly manufactured and produces a wimpy and unsatisfying sound. I wish it had broken sooner so I could have been enjoying a much better sound for the past year.
on August 14, 2013
I installed this HU in my truck after receiving it in January. Installation was simple, as most aftermarket units are when combined with the correct harness for your vehicle; just match the colors. I'm not a installer, but I've done my fair share of wiring and electronics so I was comfortable taking on the task. The trickiest part would probably be routing the microphone wire behind the dash to place the mic in a convenient location, such as the top of the A pillar.

Once it was installed, I had several gripes, eventually leading me to entirely remove the unit and replace it. Unfortunately that happened over the course of 6 months, long after I could return it to Amazon.

The first annoyance was that this HU doesn't have a way to make it work with my harness' illumination wire, which in theory tells the radio to turn down it's brightness when the headlights turn on; "Night mode," if you will. No biggie, but it is awfully bright at night.

The second problem was the quality of audio over Bluetooth, which was a primary factor in my selection of this unit. While the pairing process was easy to follow and the radio auto-connected when in range, the quality of audio was really lousy. So bad, in fact, that I just used the 3.5mm AUX port instead of Bluetooth audio; The AUX audio had noticeably better quality sound.

The third problem was nearly a deal breaker; Whenever I was using the Bluetooth to place or receive a call, the person on the other end complained they could never hear me. I'm confident that the microphone that shipped with his HU was poorly made, or even defective; After I switched (to a competing brand's Bluetooth-capable HU) I had the same problem when I used the DUAL microphone. When I switched to the new brand's included mic, calls were clear to the people who previously couldn't hear me.

But the final insult that led to me doing away with this product entirely was that it had a significant drain on my battery when the truck was off. After a few days of not driving, I found my battery had been drained. Using a multimeter to measure the current draw on the battery I eventually found that the radio circuit was the culprit. The replacement unit (and factory unit) didn't have anywhere close to the parasitic drain the DUAL unit did.

In retrospect, there isn't much good to be said about this HU. The unit I replaced it with had better audio quality, better call quality, is lighter, and above all, doesn't kill my truck after 2 days.
on October 22, 2012
Amazing feature set for the price range. I purchased for <$70 October 2012. Your standard radio and CD, along with MP3 CD, USB, voice and music bluetooth, iPod connection, and auxiliary port, this has all the features of a single DIN head unit that you're looking for. A few things though:

1. Bluetooth voice: a slightly annoying hiss from the speakers that's not present in any other functions.
2. Bluetooth music: not for the audiophile. Lossless format doesn't sound that great.
3. Small-ish buttons: I have fat fingers

The most important thing that I've noticed after a weeks worth of use is that the USB drive that you use MUST use FAT32 formatted USB stick. I used an NTSF formatted USB drive and it would not recognize any files. I think USB music sounds better than Bluetooth music.

Other than those minor quips, I've been very happy with this purchase for my old 2000 Honda Accord. No DIN adapter was needed. Wiring harness adapter was needed as factory power plug will not fit into this head unit. I ordered this ( and it was color coordinated to make things real easy.

Edit: After 2 weeks of owning, I kept getting an alternator whine. Tried everything. Figured out it was the head unit itself. I got a defective one. Bought a new JVC instead, installed it without any issues (so far). Sorry Dual, you get 1 star b/c I got a lemon.
on November 21, 2013
Kills your battery! I did really like this unit for the first 6 months, but as many other reviewers noted, it eventually starts killing your battery. It probably was draining the battery all along, but I had a brand new battery, so it wasn't killing it immediately. I eventually tracked my parasitic battery drain problems to this receiver, which was drawing about 200mA with the ignition off! Even in a new high tech vehicle, around 50mA parasitic draw is the most a battery can handle.
The main other thing I didn't like was the brightness of the lights at night. Not able to dim them and it's very distracting. Other than these 2 big issues, it actually worked well.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2012
This radio is awful. Did not work straight out of the box. I had to keep sending broken parts to the company at my expense, and still didn't work right. Dual would not replace at their expense. I have spent a lot of time on the phone and writing emails. VERY FRUSTRATING. Amazon customer support is great, though, and has resolved my issues. I do not recommend this radio or Dual, however.
on February 13, 2012
Got this little gem installed at car toys 2 days ago. Cd's skip over the smallest bumps in the road. Skips on the highway. Skips pulling in any kind of driveway. Skips non stop....skips, skips, something else. For the price of this plus ($130) installation, I could have gotten an alpine with free installation.
on February 25, 2014
I seems to have all the right bells and whistles I was looking for but...

Ok, Yes it does have built-in bluetooth (big plus), BUT...there is no support for voice dialing from the unit. I have a $20 5 yr old bluetooth visor mounted hands-free bluetooth that supports it, so in practice receiving a call is cool, but placing a call is a big mess. You have to use the phone to place the call, or if you know the number you can key it in using the remote. Very disappointed in this.

Also MP3 navigation on this unit sucks, you can't tell what folder you are in if you are using the USB. From the manual it sounds like you can from MP3's on CD, but why would you bother burning CD-R's of MP3 when you have USB? And why on earth would a manufacturer make a device navigate MP3's differently depending on the medium?!?

Also it has a very cheap, flimsy feel to the dial controller, which does act up. Typically it tends to act up on really cold days while the vehicle interior is still cold. The dial turns but doesn't smoothly adjust volume. Thinking that control may just end up failing at some point.

Overall not a satisfying purchase, I feel I wasted my money, and will be avoiding Dual products going forward.
on November 1, 2013
Lets start with the minor annoyances and work our way up shall we:

1.) You cannot access the clock on this head unit without being in Radio mode. So if you're playing music via Bluetooth or perhaps playing a CD, too bad, check your watch.

2.) The Bluetooth will very often connect to your phone but refuse to play any sound. This means you're going to need to turn it off, let the BT disconnect, reconnect, and then attempt to play sound.

3.) If you're charging your phone via the USB port on the front and want to play music at the same time, you'll need to start playing that music and then connect to the USB. If you try to charge first it won't work.

4.) Sound quality is minimal, but hey, its a low cost product for what it is so we'll let it slide.

5.) It died exactly 1 year and 1 day after being installed. Go figure, it's warranty period +1 day...
on December 21, 2012
First this radio has a horrible interface and that's the least of the problems with this thing. The faceplate doesn't stay on. Every source has an awful hum in the background that actually will give you a headache and overpowers the actual music. The two promising aspects of this unit the Bluetooth and iPod control were ruined by this hum. Customer service through DualAV is awful they wanted me to mail this to them at my own expense then they would mail another. I just felt this unit had way to many flaws and forked over a little bit of extra money to get a radio with the features this one is suppose to have plus a few more. I am promptly returning this lemon to Amazon,