2,679 Reviews
 (2,013)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best controller I have ever used
As a long time Microsoft supporter and someone who has never really liked the PS3, I felt it necessary to post this.

I picked up the new DS4 controller last night for the upcoming PS4, and I have to say I am blown away at how much better they made this controller.

Published 15 months ago by Joe Stacavich

3.0 out of 5 stars Great design, not durable and quality issues.
This controller has the best feel of any that I've used in the past and it was one of the biggest considerations when upgrading from the PS3 after trying out the console in the store. The wider stance and obviously upgraded ergonomics make for a great feeling device in your hand.

The problems:
I wore through the rubber on the left joystick of the first...
Published 13 months ago by Michael Jackson

5.0 out of 5 stars Best controller I have ever used, October 26, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: DualShock 4 Wireless Controller for PlayStation 4 - Jet Black (Video Game)

Everything about this controller feels better than the old DS3 and prior units. The joysticks are farther apart and actually have resistance for more precise movements.

The grips are elongated and this makes the controller fit much better in my bigger hands.

It is not heavy in the hand, so while using it I forget I am holding it. The movements feel more like second nature rather than thinking about which button to press.

I knew awhile back I was not getting the Xbox One and I had hitched my wagon to the PS4 train. This just makes that decision all the more grand.

This DS4 is the best controller I have used on any system to date. Will it beat the new Xbox One? Not sure, but I would have to say maybe. Even if it didn't I would say it won't matter, Microsoft lost my money this time around.

5.0 out of 5 stars PC Compatible if you can rebind!, October 26, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I agree with what the others have said regarding feel so I will post what I've found regarding working with PC

Controller is working via generic Wireless Controller driver on Windows 8 while connected with micro USB cable OR through bluetooth! Have tried with several games and have found the following:

Doesn't follow the 360 bindings, you will have to rebind games, may not work for games that don't allow this.

Works wonderfully with Battlefield 3, GTA: San Andreas, Strike Suit Zero, ZSNES, Dolphin etc. after rebinding.

A Micro USB cable is NOT included in the box!!!

Have not found a way to make rumble work.

Touchpad input is NOT recognized so far, but clicks ARE.

Share, Options, and PS button all register.

The front lit section slowly fade blinks Yellow while charging, is solid white while connected wirelessly, and off while charged and on cable.

Opens with a 0x2-1/2" or other small Phillips head.

Hope this helps early purchasers, if you are buying this substantially after launch please keep in mind a driver may have been released by then!

EDIT: Android information!

On my ATT Note 3, This controller is working wonderfully via micro USB (by using a USB OTG cable) but NOT bluetooth nor using the sixaxis app (just tried to to be sure). The controller shows up as a pairable device, but when selected the phone believes it is paired, but the controller does not. Will keep trying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Command and Control (feels grrrrreat!!), October 30, 2013
Length:: 0:47 Mins

___________________________________________________________
UPDATE (Nov 18, 2013):

After a few days of using it 'as intended', with the PS4, that is, there is consensus among all gamers in our family that this is the best Playstation controller so far. It feels comfortable to hold, it's precise, the rumble feels great, the built-in speaker is just awesome and the touchpad, while not yet used much by the games we've played, has great potential.

The 'issues' would be the battery life which appears to be a lot shorter than the DS3's (Sony claims it's the same but it just ain't so) probably because the light bar is always on and bright and the Options button which is hard to reach, recessed and squeezed between the touchpad and the face buttons.
___________________________________________________________

Just had the new Dualshock delivered today and, obviously, I can't use it with a PS4 yet but I can still discuss how it feels.

Sony calls the DS4 'evolutionary' on the packaging and they're right, it's not a radically different controller but there's a lot more evolution between the DS4 and the PS3 controller than there was between PS2's vs. PS3's. We are getting: touchpad, lightbar, speaker and audio out as completely new features and some nice changes/improvements in buttons shape and layout and in controller's overall shape.

I was afraid that the new controller would feel 'too big' or 'too heavy' but, it turns out, it's not the case at all. It feels better, much better than the Dualshock 3 while, at the same time, it feels very, very familiar. You don't need to 'learn' this one at all and the touchpad feels super-natural. Here are my first impressions. I posted a brief video and tried it with a PS3 but, let me share my impressions so far:

- LARGER: yet it still feels comfortable because of the slightly longer handles and them being set at a different angle.
- HEAVIER: yes, it is a little heavier but only a little. Hard to tell how it's going to feel after a few hours of play but I don't believe it's going to be a big issue.
- L3/R3 come with a redesigned top and require less push to click.
- L2/R2 have a trigger-like shape but not exaggerated to the point where your fingers would get stuck. Nice.
- 4 FACE BUTTONS ON RIGHT (triangle, circle, X, square) are smaller, closer together and can be pushed deeper.
- D-PAD didn't change much. The buttons are a little curved.
- PS BUTTON is smaller.
- CHARGES through a USB Micro, NOT a USB Mini port. Charged well both off a PS3 and off a MOVE charger that came with USB ports.
- AUDIO PORT: we'll need something that supports it on the PS4 to try it out
- SPEAKER: haven't had a chance to hear it yet
- TOUCH PAD: it's clickable, feels good to the touch
- LIGHT BAR: turns yellow while charging, flashing white when disconnected
- OPTIONS and SHARE replace the START and SELECT buttons
- RUMBLE: obviously, didn't have a chance to try it yet.

You do NOT get the charging wire which can be any standard USB Type A with a Micro plug at the other end and you do NOT get the earpiece. The packaging says that the PS4 comes with the USB wire but there's no mention of the earpiece.

So far, the new controller is a winner. It feels great to hold and everything appears to be within reach. It works with the PS3 but only in wired mode. Pressing the PS button did not cause the PS3 to respond in any way.

I'm in love already :), looking forward to getting our new PS4, soon.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great design, not durable and quality issues., January 6, 2014

The problems:
I wore through the rubber on the left joystick of the first controller within a week. I'm not even a serious gamer so I'd consider my use to be general wear. I've also never experienced this problem on any previous PS controller in the past. After that 1st week of use, the rubber has completely worn through and is exposing the hard plastic underneath.

I purchased a 2nd controller from the Sony store and the L1 button is annoyingly sticky so I think they may have some quality control issues to figure out. I'm also trying to be much more careful with the use of the left joystick with this one.

I'm hoping that they work through some of these quality issues in the next generations because I don't expect the early models to hold up over time.

1.0 out of 5 stars R2 button breaks quickly and repeatedly., October 6, 2014
Thomas Carberry (West Yellowstone, MT United States) - See all my reviews
I've had the R2 button start sticking on two of these controllers. Both within a month or so of purchase. Which renders them useless for any game that utilizes that button for a trigger. At my current rate, I'll have spent more on controllers than I did on the PS4 within 2 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A PlayStation gamer's review, October 26, 2013
I have big hands, and being raised with PlayStation controllers has molded my hands to be perfectly comfortable with them. I have NEVER had any hand cramps or soreness from any Dualshock controllers. Although the PSP and Vita put my pinkies to sleep after awhile. Anyways, on to the new controller and improvements I have noticed in my limited time testing it on the PS3 mostly with BF3.

Picked this up from GameStop today (they had the PS Eye in stock also) and am not disappointed!

THE DESIGN-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The DS4 feels like it was custom molded for my hands! It's amazing! All the buttons are easily reachable during a BF3 match except for the Options and Share buttons, which is a problem for BF3 on PS3 because Select (Share) is for spotting, but this is not an issue for the PS4.

The Touchpad is also very comfortable to reach for.

I was disappointed when I heard the textured half was plastic (not rubber), but in my hands it feels like rubber, so I am happy now.

The gloss surface for the D-pad and face buttons feels great.

THE BUTTONS------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the face buttons are now digital and not analog, I noticed no difference in BF3, sometimes they actually felt snappier.

The D-pad feels better, and has a dent in the center, though I will miss the texture like the DS3s has.

R1 and L1 feel snappier (could be because it's new).

R2 and L2 are much easier to grip due to the new curve. They also have a stopping point inside the controller before the buttons lip hits the frame like the DS3, so you know when it's pulled all the way. That may be enough to ween me off of R1 for the trigger!

I thought the Touchpads clickable button would be bad, but it actually is very well done. The "click" feels the same wherever you press it!

The PS Button is smaller and solid black.

The sticks are AWESOME! They are actually smaller in circumference and shorter in height, but it's not that noticeable. The texture of the sticks and the caved in center made it almost impossible for me to slip off. My biggest plus is the accuracy you can get with this thing! Even on BF3 on the PS3 I could turn my sensitivity up with no problem!

L3 and R3 are much easier to press while the sticks are facing out (example; walking to running on BF3).

Share and Options are definitely not for use as in game buttons. They are raised just enough to find them, but not by accident. I will always miss Start and Select though.

OTHER--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Light Bar is bright but faced down so you don't notice it unless it were to flash or something. Red and blue flashing lights for NFS would be SWEET!

It uses a Micro USB (not included).

I was unable to test the Light Bar, Touchpad, vibration, headsets, or any other functions that require the PS4.

Sorry guys! I don't really have anything bad to say about this controller! Maybe once I get my PS4, but for now it's awesome!
Makes me want to get BF4 on PS3 just to be ready for PS4!

Hope this review helped someone, and yes I am a shi**y writer. Anyways hit me up if you guys have a question or want me to test something!

WHAT WORKS ON PS3? ONLY the Analog Sticks, Face Buttons, D-pad, L and R 1, 2 & 3, and Share/Options as Select/Start. MUST be plugged in via USB port on PS3. Could not pair as Bluetooth device in Settings or use as Audio device. ONLY WORKS ON CERTAIN PS3 GAMES.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective rubber covering on analog sticks, January 18, 2014
At first I was very excited to see that sony had updated the design to its console controllers. The feel of the PS4 controller is great and very comfortable, with all the familiarity of the old dualshock controller. What PS3 users will notice is that the battery life is significantly less than the ps3 dualshock controllers, and additionally, after 2 weeks of light to moderate use (e.g. a few hours every other day), the left analog stick rubber has already worn through completely. Fortunately it seems like only a small subset of people have experienced this, but 2 weeks is far too soon to be considered normal wear and tear. If this continues to happen, I won't be able to continually replace the controller and use the PS4 for gaming.

I have spoken with Sony Support and they require you to pay for shipping in order to have the defective product replaced. Also, the rep (who was very nice), unfortunately could not tell me if corporate had heard about this problem or was addressing it. If you're experiencing the same thing, speak up about it so that Sony can make the changes necessary to improve the quality of their product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best controller so far..., October 30, 2013
E. Busch (Detroit, MI USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
First of all, there is no such thing as a perfect game controller. As soon as you optimize things for one type of game and/or one type of player it will be suboptimal for other types of games or players. I have been playing video games since 1977 and have played or owned almost every game system since the Atari VCS 2600. I have used the stock controllers, many aftermarket controllers, and even made and played a few custom controllers and in the few hours since my Dualshock 4 arrived I have held it in my hands, (carefully) opened it and looked at the fabulous internal design, and used it with my PS3. In my short time with it and mentally comparing it to everything else I can honestly say that this is the best, most comfortable joypad so far (the Valve Steam controller is in Beta still, so it will be awhile before this promising looking device is out).

Second, I am not, repeat NOT a fanboy (O.K. I was one in the past, first Atari, then Nintendo, and even championed the ill fated Dreamcast for a bit) and even prefer the X-Box controllers for some games. It was not about placement of the d-pad and left thumbstick, but more that I have big hands and the Dualshock always felt too small for me, the handles too short and the thumbsticks too close together. I did get used to it and liked everything else about it. Thankfully, the Dualshock 4 fixes these problems.

Even putting aside the light bar, touch pad, and speaker (all of which I am looking forward to seeing implemented in interesting and innovative ways) the Dualshock 4 is the most changed, most improved controller since the original Dualshock improved on the original Playstation controller (edit: actually, thinking further back, the SNES controller was a HUGE improvement over the NES controller; which often caused hands to cramp and bruised thumbs, leading to the term "Nintendo Thumb"). In fact, the most interesting change is that "Dualshock 4" appears nowhere on the controller (I guess there was no good place to put the name).

I did take a few pictures if the internals while I had it open and will post some in customer images (there are only 4 #0 Phillips head screws, but there are 4 snaps/catches holding it closed, 2 in front between the thumbsticks and 1 on each side about 1 inch from the shoulder buttons, making it not too hard to open). I may post an update once I've actually used it with my PS4 for awhile.

1.0 out of 5 stars The r2 trigger sticks within one month!, March 30, 2014
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
I have 2 controllers and within 2 weeks the first controller's r2 trigger started sticking. At first I thought I had gotten a lemon but I was wrong. 2 weeks after that one broke my other controllers r2 trigger started sticking and the rubber is starting to come off on the analog sticks. It is impossible for me to play any shooting game because the gun shoots nonstop. If you look it up this a major problem with the controller and not a isolated incident

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken R2 Button! Very Common!!, August 11, 2014
I am convinced that they manufacture these controllers to break, instead of building them to last, that way you have to keep buying them. My R2 button gave out after just 3 months of light use. One of the hinges broke loose. I called Sony, spent 30 minutes on the phone with an incompetent representative and never received the email so I could not send in an authorized return. I'll have to attempt that painful process all over again when I have the time. So I bought a new controller and have been handling it with 'kid gloves', and in spite of this, I can tell that the R2 button will eventually break because it is already feeling quite loose. If my second controller breaks, I'm trading my PS4 and all the games in for credit towards an xbox one. My original xbox 360 controller is 7 years old and is fine! Apparently many others have experienced the same, I guess I should have stuck with xbox.