on February 3, 2013
I used to sell these types of kits when I worked in retail. There were always issues when customers didn't follow instructions. For the price you will not find a more economical way to weatherproof the windows in your house or apartment. The Duck Brand is, in my opinion, a winner in the do-it-yourself window insulation industry. Just keep in mind that you have options when using a kit like this. One option is to double the plastic when installing it. According to how cold it is in your area, one layer may be okay but I find that for the price two is better. The product is very durable and resists holes being poked in it like the type you can make with your finger. It is crystal clear so you can see outside even with two layers. The other option is that although you can use a blow dryer on this product to shrink it to an airtight fit you can also just install it and not heat the surface and use it just to cut the draft in the room. Make sure that around the window frame is clean, use the double stick tape around the frame, roll out the plastic and put it up against the frame from left to right then cut with scissors and unroll the length and apply. It was so easy and you save money. Buy this item and stay warm.
on November 1, 2011
Am a 66 year-old male, live by myself, am not strong and am in poor health. Not fussing, just letting you know if I could do it, anyone can.

Have a 40 year old mobile home, no insulation top (roof), bottom, or side walls. It has single pane windows, and they are very cold and drafty in the winter.

Have purchased from Amazon many times, and have never had a fuss with them. Low prices, prompt shipping, and good product descriptions. In over ten years, have only had to return one item, and it was not an issue at all for Amazon. Yes, I pay for Prime shipping. No regrets at all.

Have ten windows in the home, so got two Duck 1299529 window shrink film kits, and a low cost Jerdon 1600 watt blow drier. (hair)

It took a pair of scissors, and the kits. Only took maybe 15-20 minutes per window (after the first one!), and three of them were 5X6 foot. Wiped the dust off the trim with a damp paper towel per window, dried, then used one of the four faces on each alcohol wipe for each side of the window trim.

Lift an inch or so of the tape off the roll, grab one end, and pull on one side until you hear/feel a soft pop, then the other side the same way. The pull the half inch of the tape until it pulls off. The double sided tape will be easy to separate now. Peel back the protective cover an inch or two, cut the half inch off of the messed up tape with your scissors, and and fold the cover crease) to one side ninety degrees. You can roll it out, press it down carefully, and leave the cover on until you apply the film. Cut the end at the end of the side (or top), and do the same for the other three. It will take just a couple of times, and you will know you're a "pro"!

Leave at least two or three inches of extra film on each side. I did the top first, then a side, then the other side, then the bottom.

With the 1600 watt drier, I installed the diffuser, and learned to hold it gently against the film (high setting). Move it back and forth, and have good light on it, and it will tighten up almost magically! Was really worried about melting the film, but had no trouble with that at all.

Trimmed the surplus film on the edges afterward.

A very good product, inexpensive, well described, and it is very effective. Cuts the drafts and heat losses like magic.

Yes, I put off doing this for years; just wasn't sure I could do it.

Thanks, Duck!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 26, 2010
well. Like many others, I read a lot of the reviews on here and decided to take a chance since it was only $9.
So, I got $9 worth. If you are fairly smart about things then you should have no problems putting these things up on your windows.
I read a few people who had difficulty putting these up cause they unraveled the entire roll of plastic (length and height) then cut.

You should roll it out to the width of your window then pull the plastic apart to fit the window.
well, I followed the instructions with the tape and hair dryer. It stayed in place for about a week then the adhesive tape started to peel away from the windows.
I did clean the area with the provided alcohol pads first. It does block the cold draft I was getting for about a week. Then the adhesive tape started to come off.

My solution was to get some painter's tape and apply the tape on top of the plastic to keep them in place. it is unsightly but it does get the job done until the weather warms up.

so, for $9 I got what I paid for, I think I will try a different brand next year. Hope this helps somebody.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 28, 2012
I've read a number of the reviews here and here's the keys to getting this stuff to work:

1. WIPE DOWN ALL OF THE SURFACES! This product needs a clean surface to stick onto. Any dirt or dust will make the tape not stick well.

2. USE A HAIRDRYER! After this is applied get a hairdryer out, throw an extension cord on and first go over the tape at high heat, and then do the center area to get out the krinkles.

3. Don't cut to size before applying. Use a much larger piece and then cut the edges off and use the extra material on the next window. If you cut it to size there's no way it'll work out well for you. You need to give yourself room for error.

4. Stick this to the trim and not the window, anything that fluctuating in temperature a ton will not let the tape stick well.

--------

The downside here is that this is a lot of effort. I find myself swearing every year when this stuff goes up. I've gotten better at it, and if you take your time you can get a "glass" like finish with the plastic and a very tight seal. The hairdryer shrinks this stuff with it's heat.

It's a great product and creates an air pocket that insulates your house/apartment. I does what it says, it just takes a ton of effort. One star off for not giving more tape. It's easy to mess up and need more, they should just give you a little more.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 7, 2014
For those of you who are in doubt of their own capacity and ability to properly install this like I was, DO NOT FEAR.

I have never installed something like this before, and mind you, I am not the handy-wo/man kind of person either. But I had absolutely no issue installing this whatsoever, and as they promised, it is Cyrstal-clear indeed.

When I actually taped the plastic film to the tapes, I was sure that I have ruined it for sure, and that I will have to restart the whole thing: I had sections that slightly overlapped, creating a fold. The way I attached the plastic was visibly and obviously a little skewed to one side.

BUT, THESE SHRINK LIKE NOBODY'S BUSINESS. I wasn't sure if the shrinkage would solve the problem, but it sure did after about 15 minutes of blowdrying.

Blow Drying Tip: when blowdrying, rather than blowing at the wrinkled area directly, sway the blow dryer gently around the wrinkle itself and the wrinkle will come out much faster.

I've attached a photo of the finished product. You can't really see that there's a film except for the ghostly reflection on the film itself. You can kind of see the ruffled edges, for I just roughly trimmed the extras off with a scissor after I was done.

Plastic Film Cutting Tip: have plenty of extra space. If you're anything like me, you will most likely end up with a bit slanted film application, and the extra allowance will make sure you're not left with a gap. For me, I first adjusted one entire film by the long length first, and didn't really trim the sides. I applied the top first, then the sides, then the bottom, THEN I cut any extra on the bottom.

Seriously, I do not know what this plastic film is made of, but they shrink like nobody's business and I have to say I'm almost in disbelief of how crystal clear it turned out to be.

Feel free to read the rest of my reviews on Amazon: I rarely write reviews here, but when I do, it's because I had a bit of doubt myself when purchasing it, but turned out to exceed my wildest imaginations.
review image
on November 19, 2007
I bought the window kits last year to prevent drafts and lowered by heating bill instead of replacing all my windows. It was easy to put up and lasted all winter (I even left one on for a year because I rarely use that window). I would use an all surface cleaner to wipe the perimeter of the window instead of using the towelettes. You'll also need an extension cord for your hairdryer to completely seal tall window.
on December 14, 2009
i am a cheapskate. I saw the "other" 5-window kits for (at least) twice the cost of this one, and all i had to do to save $10 was cut the film myself!
Yes this kit takes a little more work and planning, but really, you're trying to save money in the first place so why pay twice the cost for pre-cut?
Another advantage to cutting it myself is that not all the windows in my house are 3x5's, the windows upstairs are bigger, the windows downstairs are smaller. Less product waste meant that i was also able to insulate the skinny windows on the sides of my door as well.
This is the second year I have used this exact product and it worked GREAT last year, i expect it will work just as well this year.
I have had no problems with the tape, it stuck to the film and window frame just fine (make sure the window frame is the proper temp to begin with, CANNOT be cold) and also run the hairdryer and your thumb (or whatever) over the tape AFTER sticking the film to it to give it better adhesion. They provide PLENTY of tape, even if you do screw up. The tape held firm all winter and most of the spring, and it peeled off easily and did not take any of the paint with it when i did finally remove it.
I gave this product 5-stars because it did exactly what it claims to do, and it did it well, 2 years running.
on January 7, 2008
I didn't really see how this would possibly work, but we were cold and could feel the draft coming in through the window. After a painless installation process (we followed the instructions to a T), we're rather pleased with the results. The draft is definitely gone!
on January 4, 2012
There are tape issues as other reviewers have noticed with Duck brand kits.

This is a box containing 2 long sheets of plastic which can lead to cumbersome installation. Also many people may be confused by the orientation of the sheet, and instructions are not properly given in the box (the sheet fits into the window by the width, not by the length, so the excess comes off the side)

But all that aside, its likely to last you through the winter and that's all I really wanted out of this product. I had a few tape issues, and I found them readily solved by using a small strip of clear box tape or clear weatherstrip tape.

I'd still recommend this product (and this is my choice pick of window plastic) due to being by far the best price/coverage out there. If you're wiling to budget for some higher quality brand such as 3m it may be worth it. However rembmer that this is a yearly item that gets disposed every year, and the money spent is probably better spent on other items that you'll be using around the house for a longer period of time. The big idea of these kits is to save money, so get the best bang for your buck.

Pros
2 long sheets:
This kit can cover larger windows that still meet the width requirement without needing to buy a "extra large window kit" which tend to leave a lot of waste, and add too much to winterization costs.
Price/coverage:
This is the kit that gives you the most plastic sheeting for the best price.

Cons
Varying tape strength:
Some spots may come up before the winter is over, some others may pull off old paint when you take them off. Clearly some QC issues apply.
on September 28, 2013
Simple, easy to use...all you need is a pair of scissors and a blow dryer (with an extension cord). Use the alcohol wipes in box to clean surface before putting on the double sided tape. I have two tips that could help...
1) Once you've placed the plastic on the tape DON'T remove it to reposition (the plastic will come back off a little time later) just trim the excess with scissors.
2) It seems best to wrap entire window frame...placing double sided tape on sides of trim that is against wall...the plastic doesn't pull away from the tape this way
I have use this product for three years now (I take plastic off for warmer months so I can enjoy the fresh air outside). However I put this on my Mom's windows (who doesn't take plastic on and off), and it stayed up for at least 3 years with no trouble...we just removed it a few weeks ago to repaint, and the tape and plastic were still in great shape!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...