Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Indie for the Holidays in Prime Music Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

Package Quantity: 1Style Name: BrownChange

on June 29, 2013
Being an outdoorsman and longtime fan of the Duck Commander products, people, and TV shows (including "Duck Dynasty") I was surprised when I saw several one-star reviews for this wonderful call here on Amazon. However, after reading these derisive reviews, it became obvious that the authors/customers did not have any idea WHAT they were, in fact, purchasing. As such, there are a few things that should be made clear for anyone considering buying this product:

1.) This is a "Wood Duck" call...not a WOOD "duck call." In other words, this product is meant to emulate the call of the Wood Duck (Aix sponsa.) It is made of high-impact plastic - as is mentioned in the product description - and is NOT a WOODEN call.

2.) A reviewer mentioned that "it sounds nothing like a duck..." To the contrary, it sounds REMARKABLY like the call of the Wood Duck, its intended mimic. While most persons unfamiliar with waterfowl hunting assume that all ducks "quack," the calls of the various species of wild duck found in North America range from quacks to squeals, bleats, whistles, and grunts. Most DOMESTICATED ducks do indeed quack, as they were largely bred from Mallards - who also "quack." As such, this sound is what comes to mind for most people when they hear the word "duck."

3.) Although the barrels/call bodies are made from plastic, and are not individually produced in the Duck Commander factory in Louisiana; the reeds, diaphragms, and soundboards are individualaly hand cut, pressed, and set by the guys at DC. Also, each call is individually tuned and blown prior to leacing the Duck Commander warehouse. So, in that regard, these calls are definitely "individually hand crafted," albeit not "hand made" - at least not in their entirety.

4.) With the popularity of "Duck Dynasty," a huge number of people are seeking to buy DC calls and other products simply as memorabillia from the show (Duck Commander's annual volume of call sales went from around 60-75000 in 2011 to over half a million in 2012!) If this is what you're looking for, and you want a simple, plastic, easy-to-blow call that makes a "quack" sound, I'd suggest the "Uncle Si," "Miss Priss," or "Max-4 Camo" models.

5.) If you're looking to purchase an entirely hand-made WOODEN Duck Commander call with a "quack" sound, I'd recommend the "Classic Commander." For those looking to purchase a gift of a handmade wooden DC call for the SERIOUS waterfowl hunter and/or call collector, check out the company's "Classic 1972" and "Dymondwood" lines.

6.) Videos of Jase, Phil, and John demonstrating the various models of calls in the Duck Commander product line can be found on YouTube.

Now, with all that being said, this product produces an EXCELLENT representation of the call of the Wood Duck. It's easy to blow, and - with practice - will bring these beautiful and tasty birds right onto your blind or duck hole. The pastic body resists cracking, scratching, and cleans easily. The call itself is very lightweight and fits easily onto a call lanyard or into the pocket of a good pair of waders. It sounds easily regardless of the weather conditions (hot, cold, rainy, humid, etc) and the sound projects well. Overall, I'd say you'd be hard-pressed to find a better Wood Duck call that's so readily available on the market - particularly at this price range. A solid buy for hunters living in the Atlantic and Mississippi flyways, and for all those who know what to expect from this product.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2012
I would definitely buy this call again or recommend it to a friend. It is extremely easy to learn, use and actually sound real unlike other calls. And plus who doesn't love the duck commanders!
on February 7, 2012
Got this call because I hunt alot of small wood duck holes. With a little practice we had wood ducks falling out of the sky this past season. First time I used it I we had 10 woodies lite in our spread. It was like that for the rest of the season. Can't wait for next year. The call just takes alot of practice to get it to sound good.
on November 19, 2013
This call really surprised me for what I paid for it. It is probably the sweetest sounding "Woodie" call I have blow and does a great job on feeding and "come on down" calls. Very easy to roll feeding sounds and held up well to a full morning's worth of calls. A great beginner's call or if you want to expand your species without dropping the big bucks. I will be keeping this on my lanyard for quite a while.
on January 22, 2013
I picked this particular brand because I was intrigued by the TV show. I am an outdoor environmental teacher and I am always looking for different ways to engage students. Some of our lessons revolve around the birds found here at the facility. One such bird is the Wood Duck. We have Wood Duck nesting boxes and in the springtime, they can often be heard calling. I plan on using the call to demonstrate the different calls of the Wood Duck in the classroom. My students will then use the call to mimic Wood Duck calls while we are on the trail.
on January 18, 2014
This is not a mallard hen call like you would see on the show, its a wood duck call. That doesn't mean the call is made of wood a wood duck is a species of duck and yes it sounds just like one if you can use it right.
on November 1, 2013
great call, great quality, I'm not the duck caller I thought I was though. Not an easy call to master, but i don't know that any wood duck call is easy
on January 19, 2014
First pick in my lanyard for my area. All works great and you can find Jase using the call on YouTube explaining the different calls to use!
on July 8, 2015
Duck Commander makes the best duck calls. I bought this duck call as a gift for my husband. It makes an awesome wood duck sound. It is easy to use and very durable. You can be a rookie hunter and use this duck call. I also like the durability of it. Hunters are usually pretty rough on their duck calls. My husband has been having it for awhile and it is in excellent shape even with the hustle and bustle of hunting. If you are a hunter this is a must buy!
on April 18, 2013
sounds exactly like a woddie. takes a lot of practice to get the sitting call down, but to get the flying sound just follow the step by step on the back on the box. phil and the guys at duck commander really did an amazing job with this call, I know ill be practicing a lot so I can sound as good as I can. I would recommend this call to anyone whos planning on going after some woodies, or even mallards