5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, Cute, Cute! - a review of Duck! Rabbit!
Amy Krouse Rosenthal has written a ton of good books, but I think this has got to be our favorite. "Duck! Rabbit!" is just a lot of fun and my two kids -just turned 7 and 9-- have poured over the book ever since it arrived.

Published on March 4, 2009 by aa-Pam

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money
The spacing was off so the words that go with the picture are on the next page, it was very short and overpriced. If it had more pictures of animals then ok but it was only one. There was all this hype and positive feedback but it's really not worth the $10 I . Paid for it.
Published 22 months ago by Meave

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, Cute, Cute! - a review of Duck! Rabbit!, March 4, 2009
This review is from: Duck! Rabbit! (Hardcover)

The story's roots are in the age-old optical illusion and Tom Lichtenheld has done a fabulous job in making the image simpler and more kid-friendly while keeping it's dual element (it's a rabbit. No, it's a duck!).

Considerations:::
Duck! Rabbit! is great fun. My kids love both the artwork and dialog.

The book has broad appeal (I thought it was fun) and it ought to appeal to children in the 3ish thru 9ish age range.

It is an Excellent Read-aloud which I think could be used as a primer: the text is large; the sentences simple.

The Accelerated Reading number for Duck! Rabbit! is a generic "1". This means that the vocabulary and syntax have been found to be at the 1st Grade level. The exact month within the 1st Grade hasn't been determined.

Pam T~
mom and reviewer for BooksForKids-reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have, April 13, 2009
larr44 (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duck! Rabbit! (Hardcover)
Like "The Ok Book" and "What Are You So Grumpy About", "Duck! Rabbit!" has quickly become a mainstay at bedtime. Much to the chagrin of Curious George. A clever concept with equally unique writing and illustration styles make this a fun read that brings a laugh every time we read it. We look forward to many more titles from these authors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Duck Rabbit, May 7, 2009
This review is from: Duck! Rabbit! (Hardcover)
I first saw this book on Grandparents' Day at my grandson's school. I was amazed that a children's book about different ways of looking at the same thing was so cleverly written and illustrated that even an adult found it interesting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute concept, but not for everyone., April 25, 2010
This review is from: Duck! Rabbit! (Hardcover)
I saw this book when browsing through others, and the title and cover illustration drew my attention immediately. I could see that thing being a duck or a rabbit, so I got where they were going with this. The whole 'story' (I use that term loosely) is two people off-page arguing over whether the thing is a rabbit or a duck. One person explains why think it's one thing, and the other shares their reasoning too. One page had the beak/ears in water, and one side says that the duck is drinking water. But the other person says that the rabbit is cooling its ears off. That's the whole book, save for a slight twist at the end, and you're going to be seeing the same image over and over again.

I liked how this book teaches kids to look more than one way at a situation, regardless of how silly it might be. Things aren't always what they seem, and it's good to see a basic book for children explain this using a simple drawing and without over-explaining things. What you see in the sample images above is exactly what you'll get with this book, so don't expect much more out of it. I can see how some parents would be mad over seeing the same picture on every page, but I think if they showed any more of it, it'd kind of ruin the whole perspective thing, since you'd obviously see the body and that'd be a dead giveaway. At the same time, it's hard to tell if this book is going to be good for more than a couple of reads, because once you get what's going on, the book might lose its charm, and you'll be looking for another similar title. 'all depends on the person though.

For any parents looking for a different book to read to their children that also teaches them something, I highly recommend Duck! Rabbit!, but don't get mad about the lack of variety in illustrations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book for laughs and on the coffee table, May 18, 2009
This review is from: Duck! Rabbit! (Hardcover)
I absolutely laughed with every page. I donated two copies to an Air Force Base library. The head librarian loved it and had it read at story time before being put out for the public.

No matter what age you are, it is all in you perspective how you read the book. The covers are even a laugh.

Excellent ice breaker

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Read, September 20, 2009
Grandma D (Rochester, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duck! Rabbit! (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book for 2+ year olds! The simplicity of the illustrations, the upbeat words, the "conflict" make it a wonderful read. My Grandtwins (age 3) knew the book by heart after just a few reads and ask for it to be read again and again and again and again.......

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Creative, June 4, 2009
Ms.Bane (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duck! Rabbit! (Hardcover)
This is a great little book. I purchased it for my 5 year old grandson. It's just very clever and creative. I think it inspires children to think more about how things can be perceived in different ways. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from www.firrkids.com, June 24, 2009
This review is from: Duck! Rabbit! (Hardcover)
As you may notice from the cover and interior photos, the main drawing presents an ambiguous figure in which the brain switches between seeing a rabbit and a duck. Honestly, when I saw this book for the first time I didn't see the duck at all. The rabbit jumped right out at me and I really had to concentrate before I could see the duck.

The old rabbit/duck illusion has been around for a long time, but the animals have never been drawn this cute before. Plus they do fun stuff that helps you see the duck vs the rabbit. It's easy to identify the duck when he has a crust of bread poised in his bill. Or is the rabbit ready to nibble the carrot stick? Shortly thereafter, we hear animal noises, quacks alternating with rabbit-like sniffing. The argument over the type gets so heated that the animal in question is scared clean away.

This is a super simple, fun twist on an old classic. Kids will have the best time debating which animal it is they see and their reasons why. I'm definitely on the rabbit side of the fence, but open to hearing the duck point of view. Our group of kids had a terrific time voicing their opinions!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the imagination, August 7, 2009
This review is from: Duck! Rabbit! (Hardcover)
What a wonderful concept - not new by any means, but done so well. I am reminded of the old woman/young woman that always showed up in communication and psychology classes - how we can see different things depending on our point of view. This book can just be for fun or a way to teach a child some interesting learning concepts.

My six year old and eleven year old both liked it, as did I. We even tried drawing our own pictures to see if we could create an image that could be two items, depending on the view.

highly recommend this book for many ages and look forward to more

5.0 out of 5 stars My toddler and husband love it!, August 3, 2009
This review is from: Duck! Rabbit! (Hardcover)
This is a book you will not tire of reading! It is rare that I find a book that the whole family enjoys, but this is one! My daughter has asked me to read it everyday since it came in the mail. So what do you think...is it a duck or a rabbit? Your child will have their own opinion!

Duck! Rabbit!
Duck! Rabbit! by Amy Krouse Rosenthal (Hardcover - March 11, 2009)
$16.99 $13.26