Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dude, You're Gonna Be a Dad!: How to Get (Both of You) Through the Next 9 Months
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on May 27, 2013
This book is awful. Seriously, save yourself the money. Instead, find a drunken frat buddy -- ideally one who is a failed comic. If they're childless, the advice will be on-par with this book. If they have a kid, then you actually might come out ahead. Either way, at least you'll be drunk.

This book makes every stupid cliche joke you can think of. Worst of all, it imparts little-to-no useful information.

Unsatisfied, I looked around for another book, and found "The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips, and Advice for Dads-to-Be." I'm about 1/3 of the way in, but I've already learned more than I did from the entirety of the "Dude!" book.

Seriously, I read the entire thing.

Learn from my pain.

Do not buy this book.
22 comments| 362 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 17, 2012
(Review from wife) This book had me laughing out loud at many points but after finishing the book I felt my husband would have a very cursory knowledge of what I was going through and what I would expect of him at the birth.

Summary: Wife will be "DEFCON 1 CRAZY", sex will not happen for over a year, you will never sleep, wife will spend all your money on "a whole new wardrobe". Basically, everything is not going to be fun but the reward is great.

A couple of times the author refuses to describe what an episiotomy *actually* is. Pg 93 "When you learn what that one is, you'll start to believe Eve did screw up and God did punish accordingly." and in the section Is It Sexy Time Yet? he says "Did she have to suffer through an episiotomy? (If you don't know what it is, dude. Pay more attention.)" However he NEVER tells the husband what it is! It's a very common procedure and requires special care, why wouldn't you just describe the procedure and how to care for your wife? I wanted this book to better educate my husband.

The book can be a liiiittle annoying at times, though I wasn't personally offended because my husband knows I won't blow $2000 on preggo clothes: Pg 38 "Now the bad news, she's going to need a whole new wardrobe," and it will cost "a mortgage payment." He does go on to mention you can try to borrow or buy used clothes, though.

His good advice moderately touches on: birth plans, doulas, c-sections, packing hospital bags. These all have a whole one or two pages of very basic information. The whole book reads like a pamphlet in the doctor's office.

Overall, if your husband/partner has agreed to read ONE pregnancy book, pass on this book and get The Expectant Father or Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads. I foresee science-minded or engineer types hating Dude, You're Gonna Be A Dad.

If you are having trouble getting him to read ANY thing, then try this book. It's funny enough to capture his interest in the beginning and possibly keep it long enough for the six hours it takes to read this book.
0Comment| 172 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2013
A female friend gave this to me as a gift. Her husband had read it and they thought I might like or appreciate the book. If you want to offend a male friend, do like they did.

I'm a "dude" who grew up with two older sisters who practically raised me. Father was a social worker who cleaned the house and cooked better than my mother. (To give just two examples.) Did my friend actually think I'd appreciate a book written from (to borrow another reviewer's comment) a frat boy perspective?

No, I did not read the entire book. I'd have no hair left if I had because it would be all pulled out. Every single page I turned to was full of idiotic nonsensical attempts at bad humor combined with a tiny scrap of somewhat useful info. For example, on one page the author comments that guys are clueless about how to hold a baby because we, the testosterone bloated beasts that we are, don't know how to be gentle with our hands unless we're touching breasts. Give me a random page number and I could give one or more example of this kind of crap.

Do not get this book for a man unless he's clueless. If he doesn't know the difference between a tampon and a pad maybe he might get something from this so-called "educational" book. Otherwise, give him something written by an actual expert on pregnancy and how men experience this life changing event. This doofus who wrote it - he doesn't have a degree, he's not a counselor. He's just some guy who's had some kids and someone told him he was funny and he seems to believe it. Worse, he seems to think he speaks for all other men. He doesn't. He's an idiot writing for other idiots. Unless you're one of those guys, stay away.
0Comment| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2012
The language and approach taken in this book assume that men are idiots and then proceeds to speak to them like they are bros at a frat party. Yes, I suppose the title should give that away, but this was even worse than expected.
on July 7, 2014
Easily one of the most condescending books you will ever have the misfortune of reading. Save yourself the cash and skip this. I was recommended this book by another expectant father on a forum and I couldn't regret following that advice more.

This book coaches everything as if you're a neanderthal with a frat-boy mentality and your wife is a shrieking frilly fru fru harpy. Every bad stereotype is used to full force in this book to deliver not very much information.

I was hoping to find a book that talked about the pregnancy process and how I could be a better father and partner and instead I got a book that basically says "Put your beer down and stop watching football long enough to help your crazy wife paint your man-cave baby colors".

Idiotic on every level. I was insulted by numerous chapters that talked to me in 8th grade level language about how clueless and stupid I must be and how my wife must be going gaga over the choice of baby car seats.

I'm going to be a stay at home father. My wife is a career woman who couldn't care less about what color a onesie that the child will outgrow in a month anyway is. This book is trash in the worst way.
on February 4, 2012
My husband and I learned we are expecting our first and made the fun trip to the book store. I wanted something informative for myself, and I urged my husband to pick a book to read too. He wasn't going to get one, but at the last minute I picked up Dude You're Gonna Be a Dad...and he paged through it and was smurking instantly. I said, "Get it!" He had the entire thing read in a matter of a couple of days of reading before bed. It was so cute to see him go to bed early to read the book. He shared little snip-its with me and some facts that I didn't know. It is a great compromise of informative and humor. I think it is a great read for dads to be, especially those who aren't big readers. It gives good insight without be too wordy, and he has retained the info! He has referenced the book several times throughout my pregnancy.
0Comment| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2015
Not informative, not helpful, and fairly insulting. I read the whole thing just to see how bad it would get. There were several moments where I turned to my wife and asked "is it just me or does this sound completely negative and cliche". This book covers a completely outdated way of men dealing with pregnancy and birth (or at least a completely stereotypical way). Do yourself a favor and don't buy this book. Read the book that your pregnant wife is reading (it's most likely more informative and helpful). Talk about your birth plans and come to a place where you can support your wife in the unique time in your marriage. She's growing a child and will later deliver that child. She needs positive support you especially can provide. What she doesn't need is you taking any advice from this book.
on September 21, 2015
The author is in no way qualified and has no business writing a book on pregnancy. His qualifications are: he has 3 kids and witnessed 2 of them being born. Of his 10 suggested additional resources, most are webpages. He gives no details and makes generalizing statements regarding birth.

The author is only qualified to relate his own experience (very little) on the subject and even fails to tell his own story. The author gives a table of contents to help you find particular subjects, but there is no substance to this book. At best, this book attempts to warn you about making comments to your "baby making partner" which are likely to make her upset.

You know how you read news articles on yahoo or worse, facebook? Those articles are generally only a few paragraphs long and only have enough content to explain the title that caught your attention. Full of opinion and provide no facts or details. Imagine reading a roughly 200 page book full of this regurgitated garbage and clueless male stereotypes.

This book was purchased for me because it is written by a man for men. That is not necessarily a positive thing, unless you are buying a book for the sole reason of telling everyone "I read a book on pregnancy". It does spare you all of the bloody details, so if you want to kick start your paternal career as an "absent" father this book is for you.
on April 3, 2014
As a man who regularly cooks and cleans and respects his wife as an equal, I did not find this book funny or even worth reading past page 10. I can only explain it as awkward. Returned.
on June 24, 2014
I guess it is an ok book if you are an over sensitive whipped hipster . It was written purely for the writer to read to himself over and over. The blatant overuse of "PC" abbreviations and adjectives for adjective sake , made it a job to read. I am not even going to sell it because I don't want to be responsible for passing this on.