4.0 out of 5 stars A very good attempt to explain the fundamentals of algebra, August 7, 2011
This review is from: The Math Dude's Quick and Dirty Guide to Algebra (Quick & Dirty Tips) (Paperback)
This book can be considered a more intelligent version of the "For Dummies" style of explanation. Marshall tries to be hip and relate to young people yet does not descend to the annoying cutesy style dialog so often used in the "For Dummies" genre.
Marshall is best known for his podcasts where he explains mathematics to the audience and in that environment he is known as the "Math Dude." In this book he uses many diagrams, images and stylish text to explain the basics of algebra to the readers. Marshall does that quite well, he explains the tactics in several ways and on occasion goes lighthearted with segments he calls "Secret Agent (in Training) Math-Lib" where he leaves words out of what is purported to be a secret message. Hints as to what kind of word should go in the blank space are included and they have forms like "silly adjective", "unnecessary adverb" and "overly enthusiastic exclamation."
There are step-by-step tutorials to guide the reader through some of the more difficult material, regularly appearing pop quizzes of a few questions and end-of-chapter "final" exams. Solutions to the exercises are included at the end. The use of calculators is avoided throughout.
Math phobia is a reality in our modern world, many people shudder at the thought of even attempting algebra. As simple as it sounds, one of the best characteristics of this book is that it does not look like a math book. Marshall talks to the reader and soothes their feelings without talking down to them. For that reason, this book has the potential to help many people overcome their math anxiety.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like having your own math tutor!, July 12, 2011
Okay, I was not a math fan, nor was I someone who "got" math. I struggled in math throughout high school - boring problems, monotonous proofs, and more importantly, my teachers would never make math interesting!

However, after reading The Math Dude's Quick and Dirty Guide to Algebra, I absolutely LOVE math! This book is genius! Seriously, Math Dude's instruction and verbiage not only breaks down quadratic formulas and polynomials; but rather, he makes math FUN! This book contains a myriad of references to popular culture, Secret Agent Math Libs (so cool!), Algebra Decoders, pop quizzes, and numerous ways we use algebra in our daily lives, (from calculating budgets to finding algebra in your own backyard), these are just a few hallmarks that make this book better than any math book taught in high schools! I appreciate the way this book is written: genuine, enthusiastic, and even humorous at times. Math Dude carefully guides you through each chapter just like a private tutor would: clear introductions, intricate graphs and detailed illustrations, math in the real world connections, check for understanding exercises, and even "overachiever" opportunities!

Problem solved: I am a confident math fan! Thanks Math Dude!

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding book for those of us who need help with math, July 9, 2011
I have been a big fan of the math dude podcasts since I discovered them on itunes last year. They do a great job of explaining complicated math in a way that makes it easy to visualize and understand. This book takes the same style as the podcast but pairs it with simple to understand visuals that make it that much better. I think that for anyone like me who wishes they paid more attention in math classes when they were growing up, this book is an awesome way to refresh your memory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Math Dude's new book is a perfect resource for students and parents!, July 31, 2011
As a high school counselor I can tell you there are two subjects my students struggle with the most: Math, and Chemistry (which, let's be honest, is a whole lot of Algebra taking a joy ride in the Science department). Doing poorly in either of these two areas can make or break their ability to apply to go to a 4 year college, so barely passing, or even worse, failing, is simply not an option. Desperate parents come to me all the time wondering what to do when their kids are struggling in Math, and my feeble resources have often left me feeling frustrated and helpless.

I am SO excited about The Math Dude's Quick and Dirty Guide to Algebra! Finally, a resource I can feel good about recommending. This book is very user friendly, easy to navigate, and has fresh, easy to understand explanations that may be just the perspective your student needs to finally get it. It has games, practice exercises, quizzes, and tests, all with answers so students can check that they truly understand. If you want even more explanation, or your student responds well to multimedia explanations, you can even go on ITunes and search topics from Jason Marshall's highly rated podcast, The Math Dude. I've been recommending it to parents ever since it first came out, to positive results.

In a world where just getting by will no longer suffice, guides like this can help our youth build the foundations they need to be successful in high school, and beyond.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, December 4, 2012
I just purchased this book to refresh up on some algebra. Currently, I am reading books written by Ian Stewart, which I am a big fan; now, I am also a fan of Jason Marshall. This book is just awesome and I love the way it transitions and transposes with abstraction. I will be buying more of his books!

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is WONDERFUL, July 12, 2012
this book is wonderful. i was terrible in math till i got this book. now im very handy in math. my friends are impressed in how well i am in math now. my brother said he whould envy to have awesome math skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely reinforces the basics! :), November 21, 2013
This guide really helped me with my basic algebra & math skills. I got this so I could refresh my basic algebra skills from middle school. This guide sure did the trick! I am still not fully through with this guide. I hope this guide will give me the foundation to move onto higher level math such as trigonometry & calculus. Like they say, you need to start from somewhere and this book definitely reinforces the basics!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good supplement book., September 18, 2013
When you are looking for another way to teach an objective, just look here. It is fun. Presentations can be short or long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 18, 2014
A great resource in teaching math and revisiting. well packaged.

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked the book It puts icewater on the modern ways ..., August 21, 2014
I was a 20n year math teacher, he must have been taught math during the same timeline as I was. These are tricksw that I learned in grade school and I am now 68. I liked the book It puts icewater on the modern ways of teaching math.

The Math Dude's Quick and Dirty Guide to Algebra (Quick & Dirty Tips)
$19.99 $14.72
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.