Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Math Dude's Quick and Dirty Guide to Algebra
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 12, 2011
Okay, I was not a math fan, nor was I someone who "got" math. I struggled in math throughout high school - boring problems, monotonous proofs, and more importantly, my teachers would never make math interesting!

However, after reading The Math Dude's Quick and Dirty Guide to Algebra, I absolutely LOVE math! This book is genius! Seriously, Math Dude's instruction and verbiage not only breaks down quadratic formulas and polynomials; but rather, he makes math FUN! This book contains a myriad of references to popular culture, Secret Agent Math Libs (so cool!), Algebra Decoders, pop quizzes, and numerous ways we use algebra in our daily lives, (from calculating budgets to finding algebra in your own backyard), these are just a few hallmarks that make this book better than any math book taught in high schools! I appreciate the way this book is written: genuine, enthusiastic, and even humorous at times. Math Dude carefully guides you through each chapter just like a private tutor would: clear introductions, intricate graphs and detailed illustrations, math in the real world connections, check for understanding exercises, and even "overachiever" opportunities!

Problem solved: I am a confident math fan! Thanks Math Dude!
on July 9, 2011
I have been a big fan of the math dude podcasts since I discovered them on itunes last year. They do a great job of explaining complicated math in a way that makes it easy to visualize and understand. This book takes the same style as the podcast but pairs it with simple to understand visuals that make it that much better. I think that for anyone like me who wishes they paid more attention in math classes when they were growing up, this book is an awesome way to refresh your memory.
on July 31, 2011
As a high school counselor I can tell you there are two subjects my students struggle with the most: Math, and Chemistry (which, let's be honest, is a whole lot of Algebra taking a joy ride in the Science department). Doing poorly in either of these two areas can make or break their ability to apply to go to a 4 year college, so barely passing, or even worse, failing, is simply not an option. Desperate parents come to me all the time wondering what to do when their kids are struggling in Math, and my feeble resources have often left me feeling frustrated and helpless.

I am SO excited about The Math Dude's Quick and Dirty Guide to Algebra! Finally, a resource I can feel good about recommending. This book is very user friendly, easy to navigate, and has fresh, easy to understand explanations that may be just the perspective your student needs to finally get it. It has games, practice exercises, quizzes, and tests, all with answers so students can check that they truly understand. If you want even more explanation, or your student responds well to multimedia explanations, you can even go on ITunes and search topics from Jason Marshall's highly rated podcast, The Math Dude. I've been recommending it to parents ever since it first came out, to positive results.

In a world where just getting by will no longer suffice, guides like this can help our youth build the foundations they need to be successful in high school, and beyond.
VINE VOICEon February 12, 2015
I'm studying for my GRE exam and need an algebra review. I'm also using Manhattan Prep, and they are good, but I wanted/needed more instruction. This book is easy to follow but provides the appropriate amount of depth and breadth of the necessary topics. Wish I had this when I was in high school.
on December 4, 2012
I just purchased this book to refresh up on some algebra. Currently, I am reading books written by Ian Stewart, which I am a big fan; now, I am also a fan of Jason Marshall. This book is just awesome and I love the way it transitions and transposes with abstraction. I will be buying more of his books!
on February 28, 2016
It's a good book that reads more like a novel then a textbook. There are math adventure exercises, like sentence decoders in puzzle books, that make use of content taught in that chapter. It uses a different and fun teaching style, that might not work for everyone, but is hard to find for those who dislike math text books. I gave it 4 stars because it contained a few minor typos that could be confusing for people learning algebra for the first time. Despite this, I think it is a good book and worth buying.
on November 21, 2013
This guide really helped me with my basic algebra & math skills. I got this so I could refresh my basic algebra skills from middle school. This guide sure did the trick! I am still not fully through with this guide. I hope this guide will give me the foundation to move onto higher level math such as trigonometry & calculus. Like they say, you need to start from somewhere and this book definitely reinforces the basics!
on August 21, 2014
I was a 20n year math teacher, he must have been taught math during the same timeline as I was. These are tricksw that I learned in grade school and I am now 68. I liked the book It puts icewater on the modern ways of teaching math.
on September 18, 2013
When you are looking for another way to teach an objective, just look here. It is fun. Presentations can be short or long.
on October 3, 2015
Too much unnessary talk that detracted from the "quick" guide.