4.0 out of 5 stars Hysterical
Published on June 1, 2000 by Jason Ward

2.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Enough, but for All the Wrong Reasons.
Published on May 3, 2001 by Bradley Tobin

2.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Enough, but for All the Wrong Reasons., May 3, 2001
Bradley Tobin (Penrith, Sydney NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dudley Do-Right (DVD)
A Score of 2 is a Little Harsh, Its Really more of a 2 1/2, but be Warned, when Considering Seeing, Hiring or Buying "Dudley Do-Right", Ask yourself these 3 Questions. 1: Do you Enjoy seeing people Fall Over? 2: Do you Enjoy Funny Sound Effects (eg. Boooiiinnnggg, Tweety Bird Noises). 3: Do you Enjoy seeing Horses blow Raspberry's at people and Pass Gas? If you said No to all three, run away from this film as Fast as you Can. If you said Yes to One, See it when it hits Cable. If you said Yes to Two, Hire it. If you said Yes to All Three... Buy It Now; It Is Your Dream Film.
When I asked Myself these questions, I fell Somewhere in the Middle, I was never Hysterically Laughing at Do-Right's Antics, but I was a Little Won over by his (and the films) Childish Charm and Endless Energy. In the end, though, most of the laughs come from Pity.. or Stupidity.
Like the Somewhat Superior "George of the Jungle", Brendan makes a Fool of himself for an Hour and Twenty minutes for the kids, while also proving that Slapstick Isn't Dead for the Adults. (it mightn't be Dead, but it Certainly isn't Thriving)
Brendan doesn't have as much to do Physically as he did in "George", but he still makes a Fool of himself. The Real star of this film is Alfred Molina as Snidely Whiplash, Do-Rights Arch Nemesis. His Comically Evil Expressions and Hilarious Laugh had me laughing Every time. Sarah Jessica Parker and Eric Idle share what is left of the Screen time, (which isn't much) Neither make much of an Impression.
The Storyline is more Clever than I Imagined it would be, Every time I considered turning the film off in Embarrassment, A Clever Twist, Satirical Comment or Whiplash Laugh would force me to Stick with it, and it Is worth it, as it Does get better as it goes along. So Stick with it, even through it's Darkest moments, even the most Critical Reviewers should find a few laughs here and there.

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the funniest mediocre movies I've ever seen, March 18, 2003
This review is from: Dudley Do-Right (DVD)
With this movie, you have to think about what you're bringing to it. Let me explain: though I enjoyed the Rocky & Bulwinkle show from time to time, I had never before seen a Dudley Doright cartoon, so I didn't have any of that baggage. I saw George of the Jungle but was offended by it in certain parts. I came to this movie really expecting a better George of the Jungle (as promised in the trailer gag (no, I'm not kidding.) "From the STAR of George of the Jungle and the PRODUCER of George of the Jungle and the NARRATOR of George, etc." and lastly, I came to the movie with a clean mind (this isn't gonna be PC, but if you see everything in sexual or homosexual overtones, you're gonna see everything in this movie under those tones. If you're not, you won't.).
That said, I got a blast out of this movie. This is not an intelligent movie, this is a fun movie. I love it's randomness: From miniature golf to indians with New York accents, you're never sure where the laughs are going to strike next. I nearly died during the "training" scene.
All the actors turn in good performances, but kudos go to Eric Idle for taking a slightly stereotypical character and making him not so and also I must give praise to Alfred Molina for producing one of the funniest comical scene chewing villains I have ever seen.
Intelligent this aint. Fun it is. Safe for the whole family.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hysterical, June 1, 2000
I've been a long-time fan of movies with no point other than to entertain. This one goes near the top of my list of good slapstick films. Brendan Fraser is totally convincing as the Goody-two-shoes Dudley, and Alfred Molina is a scream as Snidley Whiplash. Eric Idle as the Teacher is goofy as usual. The Kumquat (sp?) Indians are also a riot. (Riverdance?) The only problem I really have is Sarah Jessica Parker. To me, she didn't seem to really pass of as a believable Nell Fenwick, Dudley's Love Interest. Don't expect great art, just a fun way to kill 90 minutes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Did Bendan Fraser really want to do this film?, March 13, 2000
Downunder Blunder (Ashburton, Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dudley Do-Right (DVD)
Having been a lifelong fan of the old Dudley Do-Right cartoon series (He's my hero)(I'm 43)I found Brendans' portrayal very, very labored. The expression on his face for the most part was "do I really want to be here?". Sarah Jessica Parker would have been my 10th choice of ladies to play the part of Nell (I guess Sex & the City is where she belongs). Also being a Python fan, the inclusion of Eric Idle originally got my interest up....but sadly the role given him was a complete misuse of his comic genius....he would have been better suited as Snidley. The movie overall was somewhat enjoyable to watch, but I think I'll stick to watching the old cartoon series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dudley does right!, April 4, 2001
A Kid's Review
This movie tries very hard to be the old cartoon. It's not as funny, but it's still great. Brendan Fraser is remarkably good as Do-Right, since he wasn't so good in George of the Jungle. Alfred Molina is not quite as evil as Snidely should be, but he is still a LOT of fun. Nell Fenwick (Sarah Jessica Parker) is an error, as she can't act. The minor characters (Eric Idle, The chief) are funny too. What happened to the inspector? He was minor! He was so main in the cartoon! I love this movie. It is so much fun. I would buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dudley Do-Right, January 15, 2014
This review is from: Dudley Do-Right (DVD)
We ordered this old DVD to replace some of my daughter's DVD library which was stolen. It was good to see old Dudley again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jay Ward would be proud, December 30, 1999
This review is from: Dudley Do-Right (DVD)
It's not quite the story of the Dudley cartoons, but they never had 90 minutes to deal with. I think Jay Ward would be proud of what was done with it.
And the Fractured Fairy Tail is almost worth the cost all on its own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dudley Do-Right - The Movie, April 25, 2008
This review is from: Dudley Do-Right (DVD)
Hilarious. Start to finish, it's just good, clean fun. Somewhere along the lines of Finding Nemo and Shrek humour. You can judge this DVD by its cover. (Note: The horse is backwards - Silly horse...)

2.0 out of 5 stars A failed effort to bring cartoons to life, June 23, 2000
I gave this movie a look mostly out of nostalgic memories of Saturday mornings including the likes of Bugs Bunny, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and, yes, Dudley Do-Right and crew.
I have to admit that I didn't have high expectations going into the viewing, but even my low expectations were not met. Fraser, who I thought did a passable job as "George of the Jungle," didn't come across as a very good Dudley for me. It's like he never hit his character's stride during the entire movie.
I wonder if Fraser watched Dudley Do-Right cartoons as a kid. They were highly melodramatic, but this movie didn't even reach the low plateau of a formula melodrama. Dudley's character was not appropriately naive and likeable, he came across instead as simple, even idiotic. I was also disappointed in that the setting for the movie was much more modern than Dudley's cartoons were. In addition, the villain was not especially villianous, he was, rather just greedy and slimy.
The movie was also only barely watchable for the elementary school crowd at our house.
2 stars, not quite making it to 3 stars...
...there were also too few scenes involving Dudley's horse, and Nell.
Good luck out there.
Alan Holyoak

3.0 out of 5 stars Dudley Did All Right, September 6, 2007
Craig Connell (Lockport, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dudley Do-Right (DVD)
This actually wasn't as bad as you might think. It's harmless fluff, silly in many parts but also a movie filled with likable characters and good adult jokes that go over the kids' heads. It's clean stuff: references to other movies and things. It's one of these films you find yourself laughing more than the kids but the next day you really can't remember much that you saw. In other words, you will be entertained but it's not a memorable movie.

The horse might be in the running as the most memorable character in the film. Even the villain isn't despicable. He's more cartoon-like than evil. Alfred Molina does a nice job as "Snidely Whiplash." Eric Idle and Sarah Jessica Parker are also good in here.

Brendan Fraser, playing the title role, was on a role their for a couple of years, playing these silly, comedic roles and being successful in doing so (i.e. George Of The Jungle, Bedazzled, etc.)

Don't dismiss this as totally stupid. It will surprise you. All of us can use a good laugh and this movie provides plenty.

Dudley Do-Right
Dudley Do-Right by Hugh Wilson (DVD - 2010)
$14.98 $9.99