5.0 out of 5 stars Best Soap We Have Ever Used
Published on March 30, 2008 by Canthespam

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
Before buying a multi pack, buy one to test on your skin first. I read reviews on how it is good for sensitive skin and thought I'd give it a try. i started itching after getting of the shower from using it. At first I thought it was the lotion I was using so I disregarded the soap. But it happened the next day before I used any lotion. A relative and neighbor also...
Published on June 23, 2009 by Mi Li

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Soap We Have Ever Used, March 30, 2008
Canthespam (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Dudu Osun Black Soap, 6-Count, 150g (Misc.)
My husband and I are Caucasian, and we both have occasional facial break outs. My skin is very sensitive and reacts immediately to most facial products. Three years ago while on vacation and browsing in a store in that carried African products, we discovered Dudu-Osun Black soap. From the moment that we started using this soap, we have been thrilled with the results. This is the only soap that we use on our faces and our bodies. I am constantly receiving compliments on my skin.

I have always ordered online and I learned one very important lesson after my first order.... ask the vendor for the expiration date printed on the boxes. This is a natural product and my first order, which was non-refundable, was almost outdated when I received it. Now, that is the first thing that I ask the vendor.

I have never ordered from this vendor, so my recommendation is only for the soap itself. However, I did email them 4 days ago requesting information and I haven't heard back from them, so I today I ordered through another vendor, at a much much cheaper price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Soap / Excellent Price, July 17, 2007
Diva (Nations Capital) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dudu Osun Black Soap, 6-Count, 150g (Misc.)
I currently use this soap but I was usually paying $4-5 for each bar. I highly recommend this soap for blacks, may be good for others but I just don't know. I first started using it to help clear up my face. I wanted something to help close my pores and I had tried all of the expensive stuff at the cosmetics counters and all of the cleansers, masks, toners, exfolliants and peels available at the drug store. I met a women who had the clearest skin I have ever seen she was from West Afria I asked her what she used because her skin was so beautiful, she told me black soap. She told me that is all she ever used and she was at least 40. She was from Ghana and so used what was from her country. I did some research and found out that the so called best black soap came from Nigeria and so I bought it and I LOVE IT!
Best soap you will ever use, I use it all over my body now. Best thing is you can get a good lather, I mean really soap up your wash cloth even when the bar is almost gone. Also if you forget to put on lotion you will NOT be all ashy at he end of the day. You skin feels so good after using this soap exactly how your skin should feel.
*The only bad thing I can think of is Do Not use White or light colored wash cloths they will get stained. Small price to pay, I now use all of my old wash cloths and keep the soap in a plastic soap dish in the shower. However does not stain tub, shower etc. rinses away clean.

4.0 out of 5 stars An effective antibacterial soap when used with caution, May 2, 2012
This review is from: Dudu Osun Black Soap, 6-Count, 150g (Misc.)
After I passed the age of 60, I started having facial breakouts for reasons that escaped both me and my doctors. After abandoning the medical profession's expensive prescription remedies, I started using a combination of sulfur soap with Dead Sea salts, vitamin B-5. And Tri-Derma skin repair creme. This was effective.

One day I discovered that my sulfur soap was gone, and I had a bad breakout on my scalp. I decided to give the Dudu-Osun soap a try. How and why this soap may be effective requires some explanation, and I apologize if this seems a bit like lecturing.

Dudu-Osun soap contains different forms of wood ash, which in turn has a high percentage of calcium carbonate (used in agricultural lime) and potash (used in lye). Lye is a common soap ingredient. Lime is not so commonly used. Both are alkaline (high pH level). As such they can be caustic and corrosive although in small quantities this can be controlled. Dudu-Osun soap contains things like palm oil and shea butter which should help to reduce the burning that caustic substances can cause.

What does this mean for a soap meant to help with breakouts? Here is my own analysis, based on chemistry and personal experience:

1. Anti-bacterial action. Bacteria do not thrive well in alkaline environments. Dudu-Osun creates a highly alkaline environment which has a more highly disinfectant action than most soaps.

2. Skin irritation. Caustic alkaline soaps have a very high potential for skin irritation. The more sensitive your skin, the worse this will be. This is the downside of Dudu-Osun's disinfectant qualities. If left on the skin for even a minute, I can feel the burning for up to six hours later, and my skin sensitivity level is normal. If you use Dudu-Osun, wash it off immediately. Don't let it get near your eyes or other more fragile tissue.

3. Exfoliation. Exfoliants remove dead skin cells, which clears pores, allows hair follicles to grow, and generally promotes skin health. Chemical exfoliants are typically acidic (e.g., alpha hydroxy acid). Dudu-Osun is alkaline. It is not the best solution for skin exfoliation. With a good exfoliant, your skin will feel more refreshed. While your skin will feel clean with Dudu-Osun, you won't have the refreshing quality that a good exfoliant produces.

4. General effectiveness. It took only a couple of days for me to resolve a scalp breakout with Dudu-Osun. But when I wasn't careful about flushing with water, it hurt.

5. Alternatives. Sulfur soap with Dead Sea salts (such as what Jericho and Adovia offer) tends to be acidic when combined with water. Acid also has an anti-bacterial action as well as being good for exfoliation. The salts themselves have magnesium, which has anti-inflammatory and hydration qualities that people have found therapeutic for over 4,000 years. I rate these soaps as better than Dudu-Osun.

6. Value. What can I say? This product is a steal at its current pricing. If you're careful about flushing with water and don't mind getting a separate exfoliant, it should serve you well.

I hope that some of this helps to clarify the sometimes conflicting comments from other reviewers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dudu Soap, December 15, 2009
This review is from: Dudu Osun Black Soap, 6-Count, 150g (Misc.)
THe Dudu soap has been a lifesaver! This soap has helped to clear up my body and facial acne. It has also gradually lightened the dark spots I had from acne. In the beginning it brings all of the germs (I guess) to the surface and my face looked horrible but eventually everything cleared up. My face looks better than it ever has. On the flip side, it does dry out my skin but lotion does the trick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for caucasian skin also!, November 3, 2007
This review is from: Dudu Osun Black Soap, 6-Count, 150g (Misc.)
I have used this product as an all-over body soap and in the art studio where I am constantly in contact with harsh paints, solvents, etc. The soap makes my hands feel instantly restored. My daughter who has had eczema her whole life also uses this product with wonderful results - we are Northern European by heritage with extremely dry itchy skin and this is now our soap! Incidentally, I've discovered it also keep natural bristle brushes in wonderfully supple condition - probably not it's intended use, but far better than anything else I have used.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST SOAP EVER!!!, November 21, 2007
Seketha D. Wilson (EAST POINT, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dudu Osun Black Soap, 6-Count, 150g (Misc.)
THIS SOAP IS GOOD FOR ANYONE THAT HAS A SKIN DISORDER. I HAVE ECZEMA BUT WHEN I USE THIS SOAP EVERDAY AND APPLY SHEA BUTTER, I HAVE CLEAR AND HEALTHY SKIN. SINCE DISCOVERING THIS SOAP AND SHEA BUTTER, I NO LONGER GO TO A DERMATOLOGIST WHICH WAS COSTING ME $$$$.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazin! Great for all skin types and colors!!!, March 12, 2010
This review is from: Dudu Osun Black Soap, 6-Count, 150g (Misc.)
This soap works better than anything I've ever seen, heard off, or tried!!! I'm Hispanic, my skin color is brown, or deep tan. I have very sensitive skin and it's quite dry and has an uneven tone, with no acne. In addition to this I also have stretch marks on my inner thighs, arms, hips and butt. I tried the soap first on my face and I kid you not, my face got about 5 shades lighter the first time!!! I also bathed with the soap for a week and my strech marks have faded so much it is ridiculous!! My skin was so soft without even applying lotion. I gave a bar to my friend and her mom, who are hatian, with sensitive, oily skin; and they love it as well. It controls acne very well apparently. I now bathe with the soap daily but exfoliate only twice a week because I have dry skin. It depends on your skin type but for me I put a very small amount of it on my face, if not my face can get a little red and look like I got a face lift. The soap is all natural and contains lime juice which is why my skin got so much lighter, and why the acne goes away. I also tried the soap on my husband who is white, has a balanced skin type, no acne, but has awfully cracked feet and we saw a significant improvement in about a week. (I don't know how many times he used it) The soap is very powerful and I decided to by the all natural raw Shea butter to help me out with moisture, these two products combined will absolutely transform your skin. This soap lathers incredibly, so if you keep it away from water when you are not using it, it will last for a very very long time. I've ordered twice and over all, I'm very pleased with the product, the results, the price, and the seller's prompt delivery. In fact I need more stars for this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars The ONLY Soap I Use, October 14, 2008
This review is from: Dudu Osun Black Soap, 6-Count, 150g (Misc.)
Dudu Osun has been my best-kept secret for many years now. People always compliment me on how beautiful, smooth, and even my skin is. I say "thank you", but almost never tell them what I use- Dudu Osun to clean and pure shea butter as a moisturizer! This is truly the best soap on the market and too many people let the color turn them away. It is REAL black soap, and it does not stain as some would have you believe. I also love the earthy scent and love to just sniff the boxes when they arrive in the mail! Too many of my African sisters come to the States with beautiful, smooth skin then start using Western products because they believe these products are somehow "better". Then, they are confused when they start having breakouts and acne. They attribute it to the different food- which may play a role-but I believe it is because they stop using native products like Dudu Osun. This soap lathers richly and rinses clean- squeaky clean. The lather is so rich, I also use it as a shampoo for my dreadlocks. My skin is flawless, my hair is clean and healthy. You couldn't pay me to try anything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars No kidding.. this soap is MIRACULOUS!!!, June 21, 2012
This review is from: Dudu Osun Black Soap, 6-Count, 150g (Misc.)
First off let me give you a little background... I am a hardcore buyer and trier of new products to better my skin (anti-aging, blemishes, spot correcting), along with other products like cosmetics, hair products, and body moisturizers. I am on a constant search to find a beauty regimen that suit ALL of my needs. If you ask anyone I know, they will tell you I am always looking for the "next best thing".

I have to look no further for face soap!! I do use it on my hair and body as well, so it's an all-in-one, but the most notable difference is in my face. I am biracial and suffered from random breakouts below my cheek bones over the last few years. And since I can't just let things be, I picked them and left dark marks on my skin. I used the clinique bar for years, and it left my skin feeling clean, but there's no discernible difference in the health/appearance of my skin. I switched to Cetaphil for about a month and it was too gentle. Anywho, I have been using this soap day and night for about a week and I'm telling EVERYONE I know about it since I am the cosmetics/beauty guru at my work.

My skin is combination with a little more than occasional large cystic acne in the aforementioned area. I have small blackheads on my nose, small bumps in my t-zone area, and under my eyes called milia (possibly from concealer that contains oil). I also have some sparse, very small, clogged sebaceous glands in various areas on my face (forehead/chin). THIS SOAP IS CORRECTING ALL OF THESE PROBLEMS!!! Again, I have only used it for about a week!! Also the pores on the side of the bridge of my nose, under my eyes, have noticeably gotten smaller AND the dark marks on my cheeks from picking at old blemishes have lightened considerably in this short period of time. The women in my life that I VERY OFTEN discuss beauty products with have also noticed a difference. I suspect that I will have the skin I used to have (before quitting birth control) in the next few weeks. THIS SOAP HAS BEEN A MIRACLE FOR ME!! No need to ever try the "next best thing".. this IS the best thing!!!

Since everyone's skin is different, all I can do is suggest you give it a try. I bought the 3 pack to save a few bucks per bar figuring that I could always just use it as a shampoo or give it away if it somehow didn't agree with my skin. My skin did NOT burn but I feel a slight tingle in the crevasses around my nostrils after sudsing up. I love a deep clean, so I lather my face and rub in small circles for a few minutes before rinsing. My skin feels tight and dry post-wash, so I moisturize immediately after. This has not stained my tub or towels and the only way I would see this happening is if people are using too much soap and not rinsing thoroughly. This soap is quite concentrated and a little goes a loooong way!!

I will definitely be purchasing more of this soap in the future (in greater bulk), and I'm sorry I haven't found it sooner. I do plan to try the 1 lb block of soap at some point, but this is working so well on my face, why would I want to ruin a good thing?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, July 22, 2008
This review is from: Dudu Osun Black Soap, 6-Count, 150g (Misc.)
I have only used this product for a month and my skin looks better. I am a victim of acne, so I was skeptical at first. However, to my surprise it really improved my skin tone by fading away blemishes.

Dudu Osun Black Soap, 6-Count, 150g