Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Due or Die (A Library Lover's Mystery)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on April 28, 2012
This series is called the "library lover's mysteries," and both the head librarian Lindsey Norris and the library-related activities hold one's attention nicely. As other reviewers have also commented, Heathcliff (the puppy who was found abandoned in the library's book drop) is a charmer. Ms. McKinlay writes very well about the puppy and his antics, and it's good to see how Lindsay grows to like the puppy so much that she decides to keep him. All in all, the female characters are particularly well-drawn in this second installment, and their friendships are solid, despite the differences in their personalities. There is a bit of humor too that makes for pleasant reading.

There are some characters whose personalities are quite unattractive too, and I thought this aspect was a bit overdone. However, the writing is engaging and has a nice, informal flow. I think this book is an improvement over some other library-related series, such as those by Kate Carlisle and Miranda James. It isn't necessary to read the first book in the series before this one; they can stand alone quite easily.
on July 17, 2012
A library setting in a small New England town by Jenn McKinlay? Count me in! Plus the fact that I read and reviewed the first in the series and really liked it so jumped on the chance to review this one.
What worked for me:
The characters are great; completely fleshed out, likeable and easy to relate to. Lindsey, as the library director and her best friend, Beth, the children's librarian are my favorites as they do day to day business in the library under the disapproving eye of "The Lemon". Ms. Cole, or as Lindsey and Beth call her, "The Lemon" due to her acerbic personality lends some spice to the library group.Bill Sint, ousted president of Friends and his main supporter Marjorie," Batty Bilson" lent some real color to the cast of characters.
The setting: coastal Connecticut town is well done. I always get the feeling I am right among the townspeople eating chowder at the local watering hole while watching the ocean motion. This time a nor'easter threatens the town and it took me right back to living in New England in winter.
The ending was pretty good even after a few false starts. The great reveal did make sense to me.

Now for my quibble:

It was a good 1/2 of the way into the book before more suspects other than Carrie were introduced and they were pulled out of left field (in my opinion) with very weak motives.

Even with this minor quibble, the book is a fun read. However, I did rate it a 3.5* instead of 4* for this very reason. I like to see more credible suspects either in the pre-murder build-up or right after murder is committed.
on May 11, 2012
I love this series. Knowing that her friend is incapable of murdering her husband, Lindsey starts an investigation into who really wanted this man dead. I really enjoy a mystery that keeps me guessing and first when the killer is revealed and then the motive, I'm like wow...that I didn't see coming and that is what this delightful book did in taking me on a wonderful journey that I could not put down. The mystery was great, but what I most adore is the relationship and interaction Lindsey has with her friends that brings this character-driven tale to life. This was a fabulously charming read and I can't wait for the third book in this entertaining series.
on March 6, 2012
Due Or Die is the second book in The Library Lover's Mystery series and a great addition it is.

Lindsey Norris, the library director, is asked by Carrie Rushton if she would attend the Friends of the Library meeting at which the election of president of the group will be held. The current president Bill Sint has been making uncalled for comments about her opposing him for president. Sint is even more upset when he find out that Carrie has won the election. When Carrie gets home from the library she finds that her husband has been shot through the window while he was sitting in his chair. Of course Carrie is the prime suspect, even though she has a pretty good alibi. Lindsey invites her to spend to come and stay at the house where she lives until Carrie's family arrives.

Before the police can really get a good investigation started a nor'easter hits, paralyzing the little town. So, with the help of her friends, Nancy, her hunky Sully, Beth and Carrie put their heads together to make up there own list of suspects. Throw in Lindsey almost be run down and being locked in a storage room things need to be solved before another body is discovered.

Another delightful character is introduced in this book, Heathcliff. Heathcliff is a young puppy that was found just after the nor'easter in the book drop-chute at the library. He is a mixed breed and does all the things that puppies do, be adorable. But he almost helps find Lindsey when she goes missing. I think he has found a furever home with Lindsey.

Will be looking forward to the next book in this interesting series.
on December 27, 2013
The Library Lover’s Mystery series is set in a small town in Connecticut, where the library is the center of the town. In “Due or Die,” book No. 2 in the series, opens with a change in leadership of the Friends of the Library. Crabby Bill Sint is replaced as president of the group by forward thinking Carrie Rushton. Her loser husband ends up dead, and of course Carrie is the No. 1 suspect.
A nor’easter buries the small town of Briar Creek, and library director Lindsey Norris has to step in and solve the crime because the police are distracted by the storm and appear to be taking the path of least resistance in solving the crime. Add in a whackadoodle who is obsessed with returning Bill to his former glory, a homeless puppy someone left in the book drop, Lindsey’s budding romance with a hunky charter boat captain, and her meddling friends and you’ve got an enjoyable read.

I love the scene-setting and descriptions in this book. The chapters covering the snowstorm had me wanting to put on a heavy coat and mittens. The addition of Heathcliff, the possible Pit Bull/Schnauzer cross drew me further into the storyline. I’m a sucker for homeless pets and Heathcliff is a welcome addition to the cast of recurring characters.

The Library Lover’s series isn’t filled with gripping, edge-of-your-seat action, but I am still intrigued by the characters and their relationships – they are what draw me to this series. I feel like I’m hanging out with friends. The day-to-day details of running a library, dealing with a staff with diverse personalities and navigating office politics ring true. Lindsey continues to grow into her job and I cheer her standing up to The Lemon (the circulation desk librarian). I’m hoping Lindsey will kick that crankypants to the curb … maybe in book No. 3?

I’m a big fan of Jenn McKinlay’s Cupcake Bakery series, and I find myself liking this series just as much. I like it enough that I’ve bought all the books currently available in paperback, because I know I’ll want to re-read them at some point.
on May 21, 2016
More depth of characters..Lindsey and her job as Director of Library comes with pains. The Volunteers need to vote on their new Head of Friends of the Library. Hard feelings erupt and Lindsey finds herself in the middle soothing ruffled volunteer feathers..until murder rears it's ugly head, with torrid weather to boot....fun mystery.
on July 26, 2015
A few months after the first book, Lindsey is settling into town. A puppy is found in the book drop off and the Friends get a new president which angers the old one and his stalker crazy girl. The new president's husband is killed and she is the prime suspect but when the crazy girl goes after Lindsey is there more to it? Fun dog, fun times with Sully, crazy town makes for fun background stories. The killer was obvious and part of the motive, but the whole thing didnt come together for me until the end
VINE VOICEon July 6, 2012
The second book was better than the first in the series. I love the setting, the characters, and the plots. In this book, Lindsey rescues a dog that is placed in the book drop. Heathcliff quickly becomes an important character in the book.

A Northeaster swoops in on Briar Creek, Connecticut. The Friends of the Library elect a new president but not everyone in town is happy about it.

If you love cozy mysteries this series has everything. A cozy story, recipes, and crochet directions for the Crafternoon meetings.

You will love this series!
on August 10, 2015
I think Jenn has pulled me into this series, I am enjoying it much more than the first cozy mystery series that I tried reading. This book makes the library seem like a much more interesting place. It's not just a place to check books out and read. A fun read, would be good to read on a cold, windy, night with some good hot chocolate.
First Line: "I could not believe that Lucy agreed to marry Cecil when she was so obviously in love with George," Violet La Rue declared.

The same evening that Carrie Rushton is voted in as the new president of the Friends of the Library, her husband is murdered. The evidence is stacking up against the well-liked woman, but head librarian Lindsey Norris and the Briar Creek crafternoon club doesn't believe a bit of it. When a nor'easter buries the small coastal town in snow, wind and frigid temperatures, the police are too busy digging out the residents to focus on the murder. Lindsey and her friends take this as their cue to conduct their own investigation.

This is the perfect book to read during a typical summer in Phoenix. I sat in the pool and smiled as I read about frostbite, howling winds, and towering snowdrifts. Hey... some people are made for cold; I'm made for heat.

I enjoyed the first book in this series, Books Can Be Deceiving, because McKinlay created the perfect small town setting complete with the perfect library. She continues this in Due or Die. Lindsey is loving her new home, her new library, and her new friends more and more as time passes. Tall, dark and handsome Mike Sullivan makes her pulse race even more than Ms. Cole, the obstreperous librarian nicknamed "the lemon," does. From abandoned puppies to widows, Lindsey is always there to lend a hand, and when someone mentions that to her, she wonders Was it true? Was she incapable of not helping a person in distress? Or was she just a big buttinsky?

The camaraderie between Lindsey, her coworkers and her friends is a delight to read, and her decision to "foster" an abandoned puppy until a good home can be found for it will make any pet lover smile knowingly and sigh with pleasure. And while I'm speaking about emotional reactions... let me tell you-- when Lindsey tells Sully off at the end of the book, my fist pump went a little wild, I almost knocked over my umbrella, and my "YOU GO GIRL!" scared off a few of my feathered friends at the birdbath nearby.

For those of you who like the goodies at the backs of books, the author has included tips to set up your own crafternoons, a reading guide, a crochet pattern, and recipes.

There is so much fun in this fast-paced book; McKinlay had to be smiling as she wrote it. Due or Die has much more to do with the feeling of closeness and friendship between all the characters than it has to do with whodunit, and sometimes that's exactly what the doctor ordered. I can't wait for the next book in the series!