Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation

Package Quantity: 1|Change

on May 31, 2007
This is the last nut cracker you will ever need. It's even endorsed by her highness, Martha Stewart.
We annually recieve a big bag of black walnuts from friends who have a tree in their yard. They are very good eating, much better than store bought walnuts. However, shelling them is often more trouble than it's worth, as black walnuts are among the toughest nuts to crack.
Then we heard about this inexpensive device, so we picked one up, and it works very well. You'll be amazed, it will leave the whole meat intact a high percentage of the time. It adjusts to fit a wide range of nut sizes, and it allows for a great deal of leverage to be applied to the nut being cracked without being unwieldy.
The only downside I can see is that is will sometimes send shell fragments flying at high speeds and for long distances. I'd recommend either doing your shelling outside, or using it in the nice box it comes in which will contain most of the projectile shell fragments. You might even consider safety glasses. (EDIT: We ordered another one of these for said friends with said tree, and theirs did not come in the same type box. You might have to cut open a long side flap to use it like I suggested.)
Overall, if you're in the market for a nutcracker, you can't go wrong with this one.
33 comments|121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2007
This is an excellent nutcracker for someone who wants to crack pecans or other tree nuts and finds using lightweight nutcrackers tiring or too slow. It could be useful for someone who doesn't have the strong grip needed for hand-held nutcrackers. I bought this nutcracker for my mother who is in her 80s. She loves pecans, but using hand-held nutcrackers was slow and tiring for her. She is very pleased with this nutcracker.
on June 29, 2006
The workmanship on this product is good. I have not found a product that works better.
on December 12, 2007
This is wonderful. We recently bought a home with several walnut trees that had not been taken care of so the nuts are all different sizes, and this cracker adjusts easily. You can sit in front of the TV and process almost a full grocery bag of nuts in less than an hour. Easy on arthrithic hands.
on January 13, 2008
Only good for cracking the same size nut.
By that I mean you can crack other sizes, but it takes for ever to adjust.

I bought two of these (at the same time or order) and returned both of them. You may want to google for Lehman's best nutcracker. It's expensive around $30 but the design is great, by that I mean there is nothing to adjust for any size nut and it will crack black walnuts with a
compound action, 11 inch lever, weight is around 4 pound I believe.
on January 31, 2010
Okay nutcracker, I have to put a towel over it so as not to get pecan shells flying all over the place. The product is made in China
on December 2, 2012
We received this product and Noticed a white powder in the bag it came in. We wiped off and set on the countertop the next day more white powder. We then put in the dishwasher and when it came out we noticed that there were WORMS inside the handle.. We are returning.. Guess this is what you get when items come from CHINA.. Learned my lesson.. BUY USA..
on July 14, 2010
This is the greatest invention since sliced bread. The cracker leaves the pecan intact which is great for pies and decorating. Leaves pecan dust on whatever surface you are using but it is worth the mess. Use a newspaper or something underneath where you will be cracking. The slide where the pecan goes adjusts for small to large pecans. I think the price is too high from Amazon especially if you have to pay shipping. Apparently you can get the same brand at Wal-Mart during the holiday season for a fraction of the price, but I never get lucky to snag one in town so had to pay the price! It is a well made pecan cracker and will last many years if well taken care of.
on December 10, 2013
This product is okay for the price. It arrived on time and does a descent job on "most" nut types. I purchased this product via its visual and functional similarities to my parent's antique rocket model, a very early predecessor to this model. Sadly, the quality is much cheaper and this product seems more flimsy in direct comparison. It is also shorter by about 1 1/2 inches. As such, it makes cracking larger nuts, like walnuts, more difficult... not just because of the smaller loading space for the nut, but also in the reduced leverage the smaller handle offers.

However, I do like the adjustable loading area to account for various sized nuts, and the handle is a nice touch, even if it is less leverage than its predecessor. I read one review complaining about the nut and shell flinging everywhere when they utilized this product, and in truth that can happen. However, many nut crackers experience this issue. I have found that if you adjust the loading space right (considering nut size), cup your hand over the open area (while holding down the product and being careful not to crush your fingers), and use the appropriate leverage pressure, this flinging of the shell and nut issue is significantly reduced. That being said, I do not think children should operate this product via risk of pinching and crushing their fingers, as is the case with most nut crackers.

In general, my wife and I have used this product twice now, and it works well on most nut types, but my 3 star rating is via its difficulty with larger nuts and quality.

Updated: 01-05-14
This product officially saw my family through the holiday season and it performed very well. This product seems to be visually and functionally holding up surprisingly well. I still will keep it in the three star rating though via it's often inability to fit larger sized nuts in the loading space to be cracked. However, smaller nuts, such as almonds, work very well with this product. I understand that you can buy a bag of shelled almonds/etc and make the process much simpler, but there is just something about grabbing a bag of mixed nuts to be shelled that carols in the holiday season, thus making it a tradition in my family for as long as I can remember (~30 years now). As such, I recommend this product. It arrived quickly, it is not too expensive, and it does a good-enough job to crack "most" nut types. Once again, I would keep it away from children for safety reasons, but other than that, I would recommend it to anyone who fancies the shelling process as I do.
on December 1, 2013
Easily adjusts to the size of the nut. I think it cuts the time in half. You do have to be gentle with thin shelled nuts but can easily get the hang of it and continue on. I have over 50# of pecans to shell. Before this, I was doing it by hand and would be sore after a few hours. This cracker is going to save my hands AND help me get the job done faster. It's small but it gets the job done.