5.0 out of 5 stars I've waited half my life for this.
Published on July 1, 2011 by Zer0

3.0 out of 5 stars Duke Returns in a Fun but Flawed Piece of History
Published on June 16, 2011 by M. MacMahon

5.0 out of 5 stars I've waited half my life for this., July 1, 2011
This review is from: Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
Background: Duke3D was my first foray and exposure to FPS's... and from then, I just couldn't care about what John Carmack did with Wolfenstein 3D or Doom I/II. I didn't care about slaughtering demons or nazi's... it was all about hitting up the Red Light District level, going into the club, and making those strippers dance... then taking out your frustrations on the pig cops that hurt them ladies! It was popular enough back then it was even installed on school computers, left as a reward if we finished our homework and classwork ahead of time. There was no question which class we got stuff done in then.

Back to the review...

Packaged arrived adequately protected, nothing harmed. At least till I got my hands on it.

Balls of Steel came with a nice set of goodies. The "Carpe Nukem" bust is well detailed, with the only disappointment being that I thought it was going to be bigger than what it was.

Deck of cards makes sense, and the box they come in has a nice motif; Just wish they could have been Duke Nukem-themed like the dice.

The Artbook is impressive, both for the assets shown, and for having a bit of insight from the creators that finally managed to bring the "unreleasable" to the grubby masses.

The papercraft figure of Duke is idea-wise a riot. Just hoping to get an exacto knife so I could actually assemble it properly. And the postcards are a keeper, too.

Now, to the review of the actual game...

Gearbox has went on and stated how this was basically intent to be a preserving of 3DRealms' original vision for the game, what they were originally going to bring us way back in 199X/200X. That being said, it's sad to see some "modern" features creep in. I get that it was a concession for console players... but I got it for PC. Did we really need a two-weapon limit? That's about my one significant gripe there.

Game looks good. Maxed out the in-game settings and it played liquid smooth on my machine. I too have noticed some of the "late loading" of better textures if I alt-tab out of the game to take care of something and come back for it to reload, but being this seems to be a fault of the Unreal Engine in general (I've lots of UE-based games that do this exact behavior), that's not something I can fault them with. All these people whining about graphics come off as if they were expecting this thing to be the next Crysis or something... which I think to me just means they came to it with the wrong mindset.

I'm aware of the criticisms, and some are indeed true... some just come off as making up excuses. I went into purchasing this game basically expecting a newer Duke3D - lewd and crude humor, killing aliens, babes - with better graphics and capabilities. And it delivered on this just fine. I personally find those that seemed most to be upset about the game fall into either:
- people expecting this to be some kind of "ultra-benchmark" tech demo that would be unplayable on pc's for years after release... Sorry, we already have id and Crytek covering the "tech demo" studio roles just fine. We don't need another.
- Were "modern warfare"/Halo fans that were probably not even born yet when Duke3D was available. And thus have no understanding of why this game is so important to the culture.
- Are based on the console version(s).

Loading times? Only time I notice it here is when I'm first starting up, or entering a new chapter for the first time. If I die and respawn, I'm looking at four seconds max on my machine. And many of the visual bugs I've seen from gameplay footage, seem to only come from the PS3/360 versions because they simply haven't happened ever while playing it here on my PC.

To sum up, if you enjoyed Duke3D back then, you owe it to yourself to play this. But for everything that is holy to you, get it on PC if at all possible. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration and have a much better experience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Duke Returns in a Fun but Flawed Piece of History, June 16, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
While I was much more of an occasional gamer in 1996 I did play Duke Nukem 3D and remember it fondly. Not long ago I played through the game using eDuke, a free engine source port that makes the game control and play at high resolutions and using modern control methods. It's a great game with varied level design and a fun atmosphere, though it definitely suffers from some issues. Jumping forward to Duke Nukem Forever I can say much the same thing... fun but flawed.

Duke Nukem Forever does not play like the 1996 original with it's open levels, key hunting and over-the-top weapon combat. It also does not play like a 2011 game, more scripted and almost painfully linear. Duke Nukem Forever plays like it came from roughly 2004, the era of Halo and Half-Life 2. Like Halo you have an "ego shield" that recharges, you can only use two weapons and the combat is more about moving and knowing which weapon to use. Like Half-Life you have to solve small little physics puzzles, explore the environment for ammo and bonus items and explore non-combat areas for story content and interactivity. If you like the idea of those two games melded together you're off to a good start with Forever, but unfortunately there are deeper hurdles to overcome.

Duke Nukem Forever had a long and almost insane development history as you probably know. The project was started in 1997 and went through multiple complete reboots. Trailers from the 90's and early 2000's show a completely different game than this one is. That fractured stop-start development shows all over the finished project. Levels do not feel naturally linked a lot of the time, design varies from interesting to terrible, the graphics go from pretty good to dreadful and back again. Think of Duke Nukem Forever as a patchwork quilt of ideas and development, never quite cohesively melding into something amazing but often being fun in spite of itself. If you like the Duke character, a parody of 80's action heroes and machismo, and you have a good time with average shooters, you might find yourself having a lot of fun in spite of the flaws, like I did.

That Duke humor is the target of most mainstream reviews. Personally I think a lot of them don't get... I see them complain about his old jokes and his sexism, but that's pretty much the point of the character. Duke is not someone you want to be or even hang out with, Duke is just a big doof who is fun to play ass when kicking alien butt. Your appreciation may vary.

The PC version of Duke Nukem Forever is pretty good compared to the console versions. Framerates are smooth and remain high, mouse control is excellent, keys are fully re-mappable, there are several quality graphics options and native blur anti-aliasing that actually works really well (choose FXAA if you can). One thing you will likely want to do is turn off processing effects which completely blur the image into oblivion. With those off the game looks crisp and detailed, often better looking than you might expect it to be. With most mainstream reviews based on the Xbox version complaining about horrible framerates, long load times, bad aiming and horrible graphics it should make you feel good to be a PC gamer that we got by far the best version of Duke. Steamworks DRM will mar the experience for some gamers, though I pay it no attention since the PC is an open platform with a huge community ready to make sure these games work in the future.

All in all I had a good time playing Duke Nukem Forever, which is the most important thing. The combat could often be really fun, the environments could often be fun to explore and the jokes often made me laugh. Yes the game suffers from feeling slapped together over 14 years and from being conceived at a time when certain limitations were in effect. Yes some of the jokes go too far and others fall flat. Yes it's clearly designed for multiple platforms and not a classic PC style FPS from the 90's. All this is true, but what is also true is that I had a TON of fun playing Duke Nukem Forever. If you're a fan of this style of humor and early 2000's shooter gameplay I think you will too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Game That Lives Up To The Hype, February 18, 2012
This review is from: Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
DUKE NUKEM FOREVER is a now-infamous video game that some waited 15 years to play, and this alone is cause for many of the game's bad reviews. I, however, was only six years old when Duke Nukem 3D came out and, even though I played the game all throughout my childhood years (and still love it), I never really waited for a sequel and eventually forgot about it until a year or two ago. Then the game last year and no one seemed to like it and some of the reviews told of things that I knew I wouldn't like, and that was almost depressing.

But I got the game anyway and I do NOT regret it.

DNF lives up to my expectations as someone who has played all the Duke Nukem games and knows what it is that makes Duke DUKE. It is truly a worthy successor to DN3D: lots of action, lots of aliens, and more hilarious one-liners from Duke. The story is fun, too.

The only downsides are these:
1) No jet-pack.
2) Limited range of level exploration
3) Very limited weapons inventory*
4) It is sometime unclear what you're supposed to do.

*The weapon inventory has received a ton of criticism (you get two gun slots standard), but I think it can be defended as such: it ads a level of difficulty that gamers should appreciate (unless you just don't like a challenge). Also, you really should be playing the game on PC (it's the superior and intended version), which gives the option of holding four guns instead of two. The four-gun system works well, as it lets you have three of your favorite guns and a fourth slot for whatever special weapon the level demands, or just four guns you like best and screw the rest. I like it.

As for the packaging of the BALLS OF STEEL EDITION and the bonus materials: it's good stuff. It all seems smaller than you might expect, but the overall deal creates a sense of appreciation for the fans on the creator's behalf. You can tell they want to make up for the insane wait and they do a great job. The bust is detailed and awesome, the 100 page book is a nice companion piece to the game (and the game's unlockable bonus material), the comic book is great for a laugh, the sticker will look awesome on your laptop or pc, the paper craft is an unusual but neat addition; the cards are small but nice and the accompanying poker chips and dice are very cool.

And finally: all this for under $25. INSANE. You get a modern game with all that extra stuff for less than the price of the cheapest modern games for 360 and PS3. It really is an unbeatable deal that any fan of Duke can appreciate. I'd give it a TEN STAR rating if I could, just for all the fun and laughs I had playing this excellent game.

1.0 out of 5 stars I waited how many years for this?, September 23, 2013
Terry (Fremont ,OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
Oh, my, oh, my. I waited years, biting my nails in anticipation. I purchased the deluxe kit because I was so filled with joy at its release. These balls of steel would be best used as boat anchors. What a dud and disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars After a couple days of play... I like it., June 16, 2011
This review is from: Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
Despite the early bad reviews I still purchased this game. I really don't understand most of the bad press. I've been enjoying the game quite a bit. It has a good mix of modern gameplay and old school shooters. The puzzles are a nice change to me anyway. I like using my brain to work through the obstacles. At the same time I find the adult themes and toilet humor fun. It runs very well on my PC with all the graphic options cranked up. The time for it to be considered a revolutionary game may have passed , but it's still very fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terribly Under Rated., July 15, 2012
This review is from: Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
Like many of you here, I waited for quite sometime for this game, I won't claim to have been waiting for "years", because I honestly did not; there were a lot of good games before this one and I wasn't holding my breath. I do however, remember playing Duke Nukem Manhattan Project back in 2002 and it was good, it had the classic Nuke we all know....babes, aliens and lots of guns... we all loved it, and now he's back with the same but better graphics and sound (in comparison) so why the negative reviews??? not quite sure to be honest. When I read the reviews from experts, I was quite surprised, when so many trailers had showed us what the game was all about, how can people expect it to be something else? I mean, there was a trailer where Duke would grab a turd and throw it around...can't get lower than that.

The Story:
Anyway, the game itself is FUN. The story kicks off with Nuke playing a video game of himself and even making a smart remark about the present game itself, of course he's got two babes at his side, pleasuring him as he plays, aliens attack, you gotta take care of business...so the classic Duke is back. The game has plenty of babes, aliens and guns. You get one-liners that oddly, do not get old; the game has an array of scenarios, from monster truck driving, to strip clubs, aliens with boobs and some nut punching. Unless you live in a convent and wear a robe, this is pretty freaking funny, if you ask me. Again, from all the trailers I saw before the release, I did no expect any less from Duke. I wasn't expecting an "interesting" story or any sense for that matter. This is Duke Nukem, it's not Gears of War or Half Life, it's a Duke Nukem game, a mindless, sexist, offensive, fun, blast of a game. This is the type of game you play when you have no time to "think" and just want to "shoot", a stress reliever, a game that delivers nothing more than gore, sex and good old alien shooting.

Graphics:
I'm currently running the game at all of its max settings. It looks pretty good. At times I notice some "grainy" aspects, but overall, the aliens, weapons and girls, have a good, not great, deal of detail. The backgrounds are good and sometimes, just ok, but with everything going on, I rarely paid any attention to them. Compared to what Duke "was" before this game, this is a freaking jewl of a game! If you have a rig that is at least a couple of years old, this game should run fine.

3D:
I didn't know the game was 3D enabled until I accidentally left my monitor's 3D mode on, when the game started, it was in glorious 3D, which, is amazing. I'm not sure why this wasn't mentioned before, perhaps I missed it, but let me tell you this, it is probably the best 3D I've seen, there is almost zero ghosting, even at max depth. (using Nvidia 3D Vision)

Sound:
This I didn't like too much. All the sound settings were at their max and not balanced, so I had to tweak them a bit to better enjoy the game. Explosions have plenty of bass and gun fire is loud enough to keep my attention. Both alien and human guns sound standard, nothing incredible here.

MP:
Fun, but didn't spend much time in it. I like every bit of it and I'm sure you will, but I'm into the single player more than MP, but that's just personal preference. You get deathmatch, team deathmatch, king of the hill, and capture the flag modes.

The Balls Of Steel Edition Goodies:
They're better than I had expected, specially after all the negative reviews. It's good, not great. The Duke bust is about the size of the wobble head from Fall Out 3...5" tall by 4.5" long, not very big, but with lots of detail, his face, ammo belt/strap and the ammo, his hair, they all have great detail. With it you also get a deck of cards, never seen cards this small to be honest, they measure 2.5"x2". You also get a set of postcards with the Duke in them, I wouldn't send them to my mother or wife, but maybe a college roommate would appreciate it. You also get a pair of dice with Duke's enblem carved in place of snake eyes. Two poker chips, again, with the enblem painted on them.
The art book...much better than anticipated. Not only does it have concept art, it has quite a bit of history. History that explains how the game came to be. To be honest, reading the few pages in this book gave me a much better understanding and that much more respect for the people behind the game. This art book is even better than the one included with AC Brotherhood, why am I mentioning this? AC is a powerhouse, Duke had to survive to exist.

In conclusion:
I saddens me to see such bad, biased reviews about this game, but I'm glad I didn't fully trust them. If you want a game full of gore, babes, aliens, guns, cursing and plain disgusting fun...then the Duke is Back and you can play it all you want. Don't expect it to be a story that makes that much sense, if you played any Duke games before, you should already know this.
Do yourself a favor, specially at its current price, buy the game, you won't regret it, if you are a gamer that goes back years before our current console generation, a PC gamer for that matter, then you will definitely appreciate this Duke Nukem game. A game terribly under rated.

2.0 out of 5 stars Closure for Duke Nukem., June 25, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
The only reason to buy this game is to give closure for Duke Nukem.

Duke Nukem: Forever is not a good game. It is a bad game with an infamous development cycle that somehow was released. If it was "Generic Alien Shooter", it would quickly be forgotten. I can't say anything positive about this game when compared to its predecessor Duke3D, the game just feels regressive in each aspect except for graphics. What's worse it is that the graphics aren't that great.

The weapons are no longer fun to handle and you can only carry up to 4 at a time (PC version update), the maps are the polar opposite of the original game where you can't go around exploring - a symptom of modern FPS'. Interactivity is limited like the original except now you can can pick up human shit and throw it. Also the goddamn stadium level is terrible, it's like going through your baby photos and on a random page your mother has a picture of Tubgirl there for no particular reason (don't look up tubgirl).

There is nothing particularly horrible about the gameplay but I expect better from a sequel to one of the best 2.5D games in history. Also quick time events suck. It feels that the version of the game I'm playing is all the derivative stuff from shooters post-2001.

I ordered the BoS Edition, the extras are nice but not awesome in anyway. Since the price of it is so low just buy this version, the trinkets might give you more entertainment. Any idiot who thinks the game is great they are lying.

The ONLY reason to buy this for closure. Don't get it for the gameplay - you will be disappointed. Don't get it if you're interested to see what's all the fuss about - you are a person who is 20 or younger save up your precious coins for a better game.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lot of fun, July 11, 2014
This review is from: Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
I don't know why people jumped on the hate wagon when it came to this game. Sure it wasn't as visually impressive as other games, but the classic Duke Nukem atmosphere and sense of humor is there! There are some weird parts but the game is loads of fun.

Definitely check out the DLC too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 6, 2014
Very good staff

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, June 28, 2014
This review is from: Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition - PC (DVD-ROM)
I already had one Duke Nukem forever Balls of Steel Edition, but I made the mistake of opening it. I liked this game so much that I bought this and one for my friend who introduced me to Duke Nuken 3D when it was released and I bought him this game for about $5.00 on steam, so he wouldn't be tempted to open this even if he did.

Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition - PC