5.0 out of 5 stars Loooooved it!
Published on September 4, 2007 by T. L. Fentress

2.0 out of 5 stars Falls short..........just too unbelievable
Published on June 7, 2007 by Misuzmama

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Falls short..........just too unbelievable, June 7, 2007
Misuzmama (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Duke's Indiscretion (Avon Romantic Treasure) (Mass Market Paperback)
Lady Charlotte Hughs has a scandalous secret. By day she's an ordinary Lady of the ton but by night, she's the infamous Lottie English. A celebrated opera singer loved by every hot-blooded male in London, especially one in particular. Colin Ramsey, Duke of Newark, has been in lust with Lottie since he first saw her on the stage three years ago. Now he finally decides to make his move. But its Charlotte (Lottie) who has the ace up her sleeve. She proposes that if Colin wants her, he has to wed her and fund a trip abroad to so she can sing with the masters in Italy. Will Colin agree to such a bargain? Will Charlotte get out of it what she really wants? And what of all the 'accidents' happening in the theater?

Ashworth (author) just killed this one by expecting too much from a historical romance reader. I can accept one or maybe two unlikely events in a book but this one seems to be bogged down with many. First of all Charlotte is an Earl's sister and he knows of her alter ego. True that he condemns her behavior but he doesn't put a stop to it??!??! Second, Colin waits THREE years before he makes his first move to bed Lottie??!! What? -did he have to work up the courage? Third, why would Colin even agree to marry her? Why couldn't he just blackmail her into an affair by threatening to reveal her identity? And why would she be upset that he wanted to marry her for Lottie and not for the real Charlotte? Hellllooo! He didn't marry you for your brains honey! And she's actually shocked and saddened that he doesn't want the world to know that his wife is an opera singer?!?! And the list goes on and on.

It just doesn't make any sense at all. I liked the overall premise but it just didn't work. If you really want to read it then save your money and get it from the library that's were my copy's going.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat implausible, March 19, 2010
austenfiend (Escondido, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I had a couple of problems with this book. First, I found Charlotte to be awfully cocky. Second, she has this alternate persona (That is totally out in the public eye) that and no one can figure out it's her, but Colin realizes it right away? Oh, and if he's supposed to be this notorious playboy, why does he wait over three years to approach her? It just didn't ring true for me. However, I enjoyed the writing overall and the love scenes? Wow!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loooooved it!, September 4, 2007
T. L. Fentress (Bowling Green, KY United States) - See all my reviews
I loved this book....looooved it. Obviously some people have very different taste in what they think is a good and substantially well written book. But I waited a long time for this book and was not disappointed. The plot was different for me and pulled me in completely. The tension was there. The character development was strong. I never got bored and thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a keeper and I was enthralled. I won't go into a big, heavy review as others have. I just wanted to get my two cents in. It was worth it to me and I will read it again. It also sizzled which is always a plus too! If you like Adele's book then I think you should like this one as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars It worked for me, January 2, 2009
Rae (Iowa, USA) - See all my reviews
Lady Charlotte is an Opera Star and Colin is a duke in love or in lust with her onstage persona Lottie English. Surprisingly the booked worked. At first I was worried that there would be a weak plot, but I was pleasantly surprised. The book focused on their relationship with a little added intrigue. I have been avidly searching for new authors to enjoy, and I will enjoy reading another book by Adele Ashworth.

2.0 out of 5 stars Letdown, July 24, 2007
The book had promise. I thought the premise was good. A Duke who secretly works for the Crown falls in lust with an opera singer who happens to be the sister of an Earl? Great. I enjoyed the first 2 chapters and then...wham...what happened? Lets start by finding out he's been in lust with her for 3 YEARS. 3 YEARS?!?! Why did it take him so long? I thought he was a rake of some esteem but sheesh. Then he goes to visit Charlotte (on the pretense of checking out her brother) and he doesn't recongize her as Lottie? Some spy he is. I had hopes for Charlotte too. I thought Lotte was great and couldn't wait to see how she develops. But nooo. After marrying the Duke she turns into some kind of prude. After a wedding night from hell, she will not let him touch her and then they try to seduce each other.

I couldn't finish it. I got half way and had to put it away. It didn't grab me like I thought it would. I didn't read the other 2 books in the trilogy and if this is a sample of her work, I don't think I'll waste my money. I have many other authors of Regency romance that I like who are much better. I'll buy their books.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Steamy Read, September 10, 2007
I enjoyed this book. While agreeing with some of the other reviewers who point out plot holes, I didn't mind them enough to stop reading. I thought the characters were well developed and believable. More importantly, I thought the sex scenes were inventive and very steamy. Not at all the usual fare you get in a Regency romance. I found this one hard to put down!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Recommended, December 12, 2013
I really enjoyed Ashworth's Winter Garden and a few others of hers, so I always check to see what else she's written that's new or I missed. But I found The Duke's Indiscretion to be uneven and jarring.
One of the first things I noticed was all the grinning the characters were doing. First, the word 'grin' does not feel right in the time period at all even though it's been around since the 12th century, according to the dictionary. In any case, its over-used to the point of distraction. Ditto the word 'sly'.
I didn't find either character believable, perhaps because they both kept switching back and forth between different personalities. In the end, I didn't like either of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scandalous, March 31, 2013
Charlotte has loved Colin from a far. Colin has lusted after lottie English for a long time best book about finding love

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty disappointing, February 28, 2013
This book gets two stars, which is pretty low for me on a romance novel, because there was nothing particularly memorable about it. It had the potential for greatness, storyline is an Earl's sister moonlighting as an opera singer. But the writing was mediocre and there were just too many obstacles for the heroine/hero. Also there were lapses in time. Days and weeks were literally skipped over when the happy couple weren't getting along.

5.0 out of 5 stars AS DELIGHTFUL AS ALL HER OTHER NOVELS!, March 16, 2009
M. Hebdige "Nanette Hebdige" (California - Las Vegas, USA) - See all my reviews
Lady Charlotte Hughes has lived a double for so long that it is hard for her to remember who is the real her. At night she is the famed Lottie English, an opera singer without compare; a stunningly beautiful woman who is as fascinating as she is mysterious. By day, she is an ordinary woman, sister to aN overbearing, dominant and despicable brother who wants her wed and out of his life.

Even as she drives men wild with her evening persona, Charlotte, "Lotty" has only had eyes for one man - Collin Ramsey, Duke of Newark, but has never once thought that he night share the same attraction. To her surprise, the Duke spirits into her dressing room one night and professes is undying admiration! Knowing her as only Lotty English, Colin purely by coincidence finds out her true identity.

Now that Colin has found her out, Charlotte will succumb to Colin's desires but only in matrimony - as being married to him would allow her the freedom she so long has desired to tour the continent with her singing and continue with her carrier.

Now, Charlotte has a husband that also has secrets of his own and is nothing what she believed he would be, plus sharing with him a passion she would have never imagined!

I always love Adele Ashworth's books. The plots are original, the characters engaging and she always takes the sensuality to a whole different level. This was a beautiful book - one I highly recommend!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Duke's Indiscretion (Avon Romantic Treasure)
The Duke's Indiscretion (Avon Romantic Treasure) by Adele Ashworth (Mass Market Paperback - April 24, 2007)
$6.99 $6.29
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies