on October 11, 2012
This would have to be the most decadent selection of all desserts. I have made dessert my specialty because, being the last item on any menu, it's the one people remember, and will overlook any slack in other areas. I had been looking for a substitute to revamp my old and tired collection for which I am renowned, and this book was a godsend, along with another book which I got at the same time on easy cheesecake recipes by the same author. I am now set for life.

The only problem I see with this is that you need to allow yourself plenty of cooking time, eventhough preparation time is only 5 minutes. But I have a solution, I am giving this book as a gift to some of my friends and they will not only be eternally grateful to me, but they will do the cooking and I will indulge in the eating.
on January 28, 2013
Dulce de Leche, 7 common household ingredients that turn into.... O M G.......the recipe for DdL Banana Pie, makes my mouth water.

Only recently was I introduced to DdL. The first time was with a version of the Banana pie recipe. The second was when hubby brought home little DdL cakes from Brazil. I am looking forward to expanding my horizons with this book.

When looking for a cookbook that I want to keep, I look for several things. Does the book describe the types of ingredients that are being used? Are the amounts and directions specific? Are there any personal anecdotes about the recipes being shown? Are there pictures to show me how it should look? Does the recipe give a preparation time? Is the layout of the recipe easy to follow and preferably on one page. For the kindle there is an additional thing I look for. Is there a clickable table of contents? None of these are deal breakers. However, the more of the above questions that are answered in yes , the better chance of me purchasing it.

Comments following refer to my cookbook wish list above.
1. There are no photos
2. The format is Title, followed by description, followed by an ingredient list with one ingredient per line. finally the directions are written in paragraph form (not my favorite method).
3. No mention of number of servings.
4. No mention of preparation time.
5. 4 methods of preparing DdL are given.
6. There is a clickable TOC.
7. The author discusses the history and importance of DdL.

I found the writing to be clear and concise. While I prefer bullet point style for giving directions. The paragraphs were well written.

I recommend this book. You can never ever have enough Dulce de Leche.
on October 10, 2012
This book is amazing. I was first introduced to this delectable confection when traveling in Argentina many years ago. I had no idea that I could make my own!

The author makes the sauce sound as tantalizing as it really is - and everyone should try it! After an enjoyable introduction, she provides recipes for making your own sauce and then, follows it with a myriad of recipes for ways to use it! You will never run out of great ways to enjoy this sweet treat!

What an amazing find!

Highly recommended.
on October 8, 2012
I like to make a lot of gifts for Christmas presents so I was on the lookout for some new things to make this year. I was excited to find this book on how to make my own caramel at home. The recipes included in this cookbook show you how simple it is to make and how to include the caramel sauce in many different recipes. This cookbook has given me so many new possibilities on how to share sweet treats with my family and friends this holiday season.

Dulce De Leche is a fancy name for a caramel-like sauce you can make at home. While it takes some attention to detail and patience because of time, once you've made it, you can use it in many different recipes.

And Monica is right--it is so much better than store bought caramel sauce!
on October 7, 2012
This cookbook has numerous recipes using the sweet, milk-based product dulce de leche. The cookbook gives 4 different ways of making dulce de leche, and then follows with a variety of recipes using it. This versatile ingredient can be used in cookies, cakes, tarts, flan, cheesecake, apple pies, frozen yogurt, bread pudding, cinnamon rolls, and many other dishes. One can even use it to make a martini, frappuccino, or smoothie. If you have a taste for sweetened milk products, this cookbook is for you.
on November 15, 2012
Dulce de leche is one of the most amazing toppings and this book give you many varied uses for it. Including, how to make it yourself four different ways. If you love Dulce de leche, you can't go wrong with this book.
on October 6, 2012
I think I've found a new secret ingredient to create tons of very intriguing decadent treats. With this ingredient and these well written and easy recipes, I'm going to have a lot of fun this week-end and I think...my family may love me forever. This is not just recipes for desserts...we're talking smoothies,cocktails, bars...what a wonderful surprise. Highly recommended. You'll get more than you thought you would.
on October 9, 2012
Being a cookbook, I have found very interesting details about origins of Dulce de Leche. It includes plenty of recipes for dessets, cakes and to succeed at any party. If you like sweet dessets and you like cooking this is a perfect book.
on March 22, 2013
Being diabetic and a glutton for punishment, I was drawn to this book like a moth to flame.
No I did not regret reading or drooling on my iPad but I did need an insulin shot afterwards.
on February 15, 2013
Everything I wanted with dulce de leche, including ice cream, from traditional South American treats to modern trendy items like cake balls, and unexpected dishes like tamales. Well done.