Top critical review
258 people found this helpful
Love this movie, but hate the unrated cut
on January 30, 2009
The 1 star is purely for the Bluray, unrated version. I am a huge fan of the theatrical cut and it was one of the first movies I upgraded from VHS to DVD. Dumb and Dumber has near flawless pacing in it's theatrical form. The unrated version throws in bits that are completely unnecessary, extremely crude, and not very funny. It is easy to see why they were cut and a little hard to understand why the Bluray version is only offered in this version. I sent the Bluray version back and I hope the next format upgrade of this film goes back to the classic theatrical cut.
For those of you who would like to know, here are the differences (info copied from wikipedia):
* In the PG-13 version, when Mental tears Petey's (Harry's parakeet) head off, it cuts after he says "I Tawt I Taw a Putty Tat!". In the unrated version, it shows him violently squeezing Petey's head with his fists.
* In the PG-13 version, Seabass is about to spit on Harry's burger, but the camera cuts to Lloyd, while the spitting sound is still heard. In the unrated version, it shows the spit coming out of his mouth onto the burger.
* In the unrated version, when Joe Mental and Shay (the female accomplice) are waiting by the side of the road for Harry and Lloyd to drive by, Shay says to Joe: "turn around, I gotta squeeze a lemon" and crouches down.
* In the unrated version, when Seabass finds Lloyd in the bathroom, Lloyd keeps repeating 'find a happy place' to which Seabass replies, 'I'll show you a happy place!' before dropping his own pants and grabbing his crotch.
* After the gas station scene a new scene occurs while driving where Harry makes fun of Lloyd about being in a bathroom with a 6 foot four man with his pants down.
* In the original PG-13 version, "The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead" by Crash Test Dummies plays during the scene where Harry, Lloyd, and Mental are in the restaurant. This song is absent in the unrated version, possibly due to copyright issues.
* The unrated version of the film features an extended dialogue scene between Lloyd and Harry in the honeymoon motel.
* The unrated version of the film features an extra scene prior to Harry's departure to the slopes with Mary, in which Lloyd comments on Harry's "revealing" ski suit.
* In the PG-13 version, when Harry is attempting to fix Mary's toilet, he shouts out that he's shaving, and we see Mary standing at the door. The unrated version shows Harry lifting the toilet to the window and dumping its contents out.