Automotive Holiday Deals Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Dumb Question Regarding Backward Compatibility...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 9, 2012 3:25:20 AM PST
Jack Treese says:
Okay, I'm really just trying to get this record set straight. I recently purchased a 320GB PS3 bundle that came with Infamous 2. I've had it a couple months now. I know full and well that Slims support PS1 compatibility but dropped PS2 compatibility.

Now, this is the question I have: Will playing PS1 games on my Slim PS3 ruin or otherwise wear down the lens? A buddy of mine is pretty much scaring me out of playing a couple old school PS1 Mega Man games unless I can bust out my old PS1--which I just found out is basically ruined now.

So should I really go ahead and get a PS1 to play my old games on? Or is my buddy (who treats his consoles relatively poorly btw) being a little hyperactive about this?

Posted on Feb 14, 2012 12:16:41 AM PST
All PS1 games on PS3 are emulated, and thus would have little impact on the PS3 itself.

You have nothing to fear playing ps1 on ps3.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 2:53:01 AM PST
Jack Treese says:
Thank you! I was trying to explain this to my friend, and he seriously does not get it. He's seriously under the impression that PS1 and PS2 games are the same format, and I'm trying to tell him even that's baloney!

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 5:58:31 AM PDT
mc-Hotsauce says:
hit your buddy upside the head for me, please!

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 6:43:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2012 6:46:49 AM PDT
Jack Treese says:
Verbally, I have about fifty times already. ;)
He finally relented and left me alone about it.

Basically I had to bring a PS1 disc, have him compare side-by-side to PS2 discs... he finally noticed the CD logo on the PS1 game and the DVD logo on the PS2 game. I had to tell him pretty much, "If I shouldn't play PS1 games on this, you shouldn't rip CDs to it for the same reason," and realized he was wrong. Haha.

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 1:30:56 PM PDT
I've played PS1 discs on my PS3 for years and my PS3 is a champ. Rock solid.

Just keep the PS3 clean and ventilated.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Feb 9, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about