Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

on July 29, 2009
CTA's "Wii-Dum" dumbbells look like a good way to improve your workout.

Don't be fooled.

These are extremely flimsy, poorly made plastic shells. They weigh 1.7 lbs each, which doesn't provide much of a workout if you routinely lift items heavier than your TV's remote control.

The weights are located in the head closest to your body, which makes the dumbbell unbalanced and awkward to hold. The heads are strictly for show, but they're bulky enough to press into your wrist. Gripping the dumbbell is uncomfortable and forces your wrist into an unnatural position.

You cannot use a charger base with the dumbbells, and the gel sleeve must be removed before inserting them into the shells.

This was a great idea poorly executed. Avoid this shoddy and useless product!
66 comments250 of 260 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2009
At first I was pretty sure these were something for the kids, and to be honest they probably are better for the kids, than they are for a grown man. I mean they are pretty light. But this is the Wii Fit we are talking about, not an actual dumbbell to use for BULK-ing up. Go get some wrist weights for that. Are these great for Yoga? Yes indeed! Are they great for tone-ing workouts? Without a doubt. Should the kids use them? YES!!! Should you use them? YES! They are solid, well balanced, grip well, and after using them for a little bit your arms will feel that "burn" much faster than using the 6 oz wiimotes.
33 comments51 of 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2010
Picked this up for my girlfriend as a Christmas present. It was an impulse buy, because I saw it at Kroger for under $10. I already have Wii Fit Plus and a Wii Balance Board under the tree (along with a cover for the Balance Board) so I figured this would be a good addition. Due to injuries sustained in a car wreck several years ago she has weakness on her left side so I figured that a light set of weights like this would be just enough to add a little bit to her exercise without overwhelming her.

I checked out the weights before wrapping the box and was surprised at how sturdy they actually are. If I were getting weights for myself I'd want something that was a bit heavier, but for those looking to add a little toning to their Wii Fit or other routines then these are perfect. And even for me I imagine that they'll add a little something extra to my exercises; if it's not enough, I'll just strap on some wrist weights to go along with the controller weights.

The obvious use of these is for games like Wii Fit and Yoga, but I see them getting some use with Wii Sports Boxing in my future as well. Probably Wii Sports Resort Swordfighting as well... I used to be a sport fencer and have been thinking of getting back into it, and the weight could definitely help to tone my sword arm. ;)

Bottom line: Don't buy these if you're looking for a major weight-lifting experience... go buy some free weights instead. If you want to tone your arms a bit when getting some exercise on the Wii, though, these weight clip-ons will give you that little bit extra you might be looking for.
on April 7, 2010
I really like using these with the Wii Fit. At 2lbs, they aren't going to give you a huge workout, but it will add a little resistance to your daily workout. They are easy to slip the remote and nunchuck in and out quickly too (like in between "My Routine" exercises). I use them on "My Routine" on a few of the exercises (tricep extension for sure) and then on Rhythm Boxing so far.
on March 20, 2012
Do you know that exercise on Wii Fit plus that suggest you hold a bottle of water? Well how in the heck is it supposed to measure your reps if you aren't holding the Wii Mote! Enter this product. It's sturdy, just about the right weight to kick it up just a notch on your arm workouts, and works with both of the games listed and any game that uses the Wii mote to do arm reps. I wouldn't risk buying any other kind.
on January 1, 2011
I love accessories that I can use with my new wii fitness craze! These certainly aren't necessary. However, I recently tried them with the EA Sports Active while doing upper body workouts and it was a lot more comfortable than the resistance band. I intend to try these dumbbells with Wii Fit Plus in the near future, but with the same "Weight lifting" strengthening workouts I feel it will yield the same result. These dumbbells are not that heavy, but if you lift correctly you don't need a ton of weight to "feel the burn". These will certainly supplement your wii workout. The wii remotes fit very well inside the dumbbells. My only complaint is that while in game play it is a little harder for the game to "sense" your actions but it wasn't too annoying to me.
on March 4, 2010
I use them daily as boxing gloves for my boxing. Adds weight to my workout and works well!
11 comment3 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2015
It's true that these dumbbells aren't very heavy, but they sure do come in handy when using my Wii Fit! I can absolutely tell a difference when compared to not using these during my workouts, and it's great that they're functional and can hold the remote and nanchuk at the same time. I use them mostly when doing the step aerobics and free step, but I also use them while on my recumbent bike. These are a nice way to get your body moving more without overdoing it, so I'm very pleased with this purchase.
on June 28, 2014
The Wii remotes fit in there perfectly and they are easy to use while working out. The workout game I'm using right now does not require the numchuk, but I have it in the weight anyway just to keep them balanced.

Only con is that the weights are pretty light and there's no way to adjust the weights to be heavier as I get stronger. Using regular dumbbells is awkward with the remote. If there was just some rings or something to add to these it would be perfect.
on May 14, 2015
I love my Wii Fit, and I saw this dumbbell set as a way to add to add a little extra oomph to my exercise routine. I use the word "little" because the added weight seems barely noticeable. If you believe in the philosophy of "no pain, no gain," maybe these aren't for you. But if you spend at least several hours a week with your Wii Fit, as I do, why wouldn't you want the added benefit these dumbbells can provide?