Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

David Lynch's film version of the science fiction epic "Dune" received some dreadful reviews when it came out many years ago. I must admit, I enjoyed the film: Lynch's approach to the material continues to intrigue me. And one of the elements of the film that impressed me the most was the stirring musical score by pop/rock group Toto.
Musical scores to sci-fi epics are generally more the territory of orchestral composer/conductors like John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith, but the members of Toto really rose to this challenge. The score captures the spirit of the film's alien worlds, as well as the many moods of the characters.
Some of the best selections from the CD are the dreamy prologue, the majestic main title, the weirdly energetic "Robot Fight," and the creepy "The Floating Fat Man (The Baron)." The final track, "Take My Hand," is an especially elegant and poetic composition. Two tracks are further enhanced by spoken-word performances taken from the film: the prologue by Virginia Madsen (Princess Irulan) from "Prologue," and threatening words from Baron Harkonnen (Kenneth McMillan) on "The Floating Fat Man." Overall, one of my favorite film soundtracks from the awesome 80s.
on March 28, 2001
Another import of this album exists which contains 32 tracks running about 72 minutes. I had purchased this shorter album domestically when it was released only to be both extremely satisfied to finally have the Dune score and also disappointed that much of the film's music was not included. The differences between the shorter version and the longer reissue, besides number of tracks and of course length, are that Eno's "Prophecy Theme" is left off and all songs are included without any film dialogue inserted in them. This makes the longer release even better since it doesn't entirely duplicate the shorter release that I already owned. So, until you can track down the longer import reissue, get the shorter version available here. I still play both regularly.
on April 5, 2002
I have both versions of the soundtrack and right now am in the process of blending the two together into one soundtrack. I happen to be one of the funky ones who happens to like Virginia Madsen's (Princess Irulan) voiceover on the prologue, and Kenneth McMillan (Baron Vladamir Harkonnen) on "The Floating Fat Man (The Baron)". Those two cuts and "The Prophecy Theme" are gonna get plopped into my personal copy of the soundtrack for playback in my car. Now, as to the rest of the music...well since I've had this CD for far longer than I believe any of the other reviewers (I've had it since it was first reissued on CD), I was very pleased at the soundtrack. It was bad enough that it took me about five years to find it. The expanded reissue is much better in that it is more complete, but I'm so used to the two tracks with voiceovers and the prophecy theme that I'll throw them onto the one CD and be done with it.
on April 25, 2004
I vividly recall seeing the 1984 movie Dune with my high school friends at the cinema during its original theatrical release. A few years later, I obtained a copy of this soundtrack from a friend on audio cassette. At the time (1986) our games group was playing the Dune strategy board game based on the book, and so we came to understand all about the world of Arrakis (=Dune) and appreciated how well the dramatic music here fitted the movie. It remains in my top three music soundtracks to movies of all time . The fight scenes have ominous conflict music, the crucial moments of Paul Atreides's testing such as the Box and the Water Of Life have suitably cathartic backing , and there is a memorable closing theme called Take My Hand. The psychotic, scheming "floating fat man" Baron Harkonnen is represented with a few villainous lines of dialogue, while the standout Prophecy Theme and Dune Desert Theme have always remained with me as classic tunes. Dune is a great story because it is about the fulfilment of prophecy and the very difficult struggles caused by facing one's destiny. It needed inspiring, epic-sounding music, and thankfully it received it . Highly Recommended.
on February 28, 2001
If you saw the movie, and loved the music, you should get this CD, for it is simply one of the best instrumental CDs I ever heard. But even if you haven't seen the movie (or forgot about the music), this CD will still get you. It contains 17 instrumental songs, all are simply wonderful. Especially "Take my hand", which was used for the credit's titles, and is probably the instrumental song I love most. I loved one of the other reviewers wrote, that this CD will be played at his wedding, funeral, and birth of first born. How beautifully he has captured the uniqueness of this CD.
on August 25, 2014
This musical soundtrack has enough of the film to re-create the entire cinema experience in sound alone. As such, it is as wonderful as the screen production. The awesome soundtrack includes both traditional/analogue sound and digital or synthesized music. Track 9 by Eno is a great accomplishment in sound, as it gets to the root of the sound experience. It is the sound equivalent of 2001's famous 'light trip'.

If you saw the film, then you have to get this to enjoy the experience yet again, both at home and mobile on any device you have. Even if you didn't see the film, but read the book, this CD will be something to enjoy...
on January 16, 2013
I got this CD primarily for the Desert theme (that I couldn't find in the video). The part when it builds up around 2:40 ... with the electric guitar ... for those three notes, it's worth it. Excellent job, Toto. Very musical, somewhat subdued...classic! I went and saw the movie because of the music (and because it was mentioned in Chuck...and sandworms are epic...)
on February 27, 2001
The most noteworthy and memorable tracks here are the Prologue with actress Virginia Madsen's introduction/plot setting monologue to the story of Dune, the semi-soft rock and classical fusion sound of Take My Hand(closing credits), the Eno melancholy and haunting synthesized Prophecy theme, and the Dune Desert Theme. All else is richly orchestrated, written, and performed by Toto with various background synthesizer effects. The Brian Eno minimalistic new age/spacescape Prophecy Theme blends in seamlessly with the rest of Toto's score; you will forget that there were two different artists involved with the soundtrack ! They work in unison and great coherency...Even though the soundtrack to Dune cannot rival that of New Age artist Vangelis' BladeRunner OST it still captivates the very essence and moody spirit of the film ! Toto and Eno will take you to the universe of Frank Herbert's/David Lynch's Dune...
on May 26, 2000
This is a great soundtrack, I enjoyed the movie very much, and the soundtrack is every bit as good as the movie. My only regret is that the final instrumental piece "Take my hand" is only 2.5 mins long. It should have been longer, cos in the movie it is played with the closing credits, and is much longer, and is just wonderful. Even so this CD is a worthy addition to any collection.
on January 31, 2001
The music itself is wonderful, it evokes such strong imagery of the film and I find it enjoyable. The reason I give it 3 stars is that not all of the score is on the album. There is so much more music that was in the film but not on the album. If you are going to put out an album than put the entire score on it and not a few select pieces.