Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Grocery The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation

Platform: PC|Edition: Standard|Change

on June 21, 2011
When I buy a PC game, I expect a PC game ... not a console game with the letters P and C slapped on it. If I want to play a game for a console, I'll buy a console- they're completely different gaming mechanisms.

I've been looking forward to this game since it was announced; I pre-ordered it as soon as it was available on Amazon, based solely upon the continuation of the Dungeon Siege franchise; Dungeon Siege 1 is in my list of top-ten favorite computer games.

I'm disappointed that this appears to be yet another game that builds its fanbase upon PC users, then panders to the lowest common denominator of consoles.

I don't want to play a console game on my PC. If I did, I'd buy a CONSOLE. I don't want to have checkpoints; I don't want to have to play with a controller. I DO NOT HAVE A CONSOLE IN FRONT OF ME; I HAVE A PC.

I'm tired of my game experience being limited to what an aging console is capable of accomplishing.

I went into this game with an open mind, hoping I'd enjoy the experience. I spent the weekend playing through DS1 in anticipation. This did not happen.

I can choose from ... four characters. I can't even pick a name. I can't customize them. I can't even tell what they are. My friend and I lasted 15 minutes in multiplayer before I shut the game off because I had motion sickness to the point I felt like vomiting. It's bad enough that both characters have to be on screen at the same time (On a PC?!) But when the other player moves, it move MY camera. Even when I'm trying to stand still and maneuver close enough to something that I can use the freakin' "action key" teh screen is swaying and churning like a boat at sea.

The viewing angle is already exceedingly awkward. If at my native resolution of 1920x1080, when zoomed out as far as possible, I felt like I was playing on an 800x600 screen.

Save points? Again- I AM NOT ON A CONSOLE. I have an ENTIRE 500GB hard drive for nothing but games. Save away! I don't mind!

The game automatically activates your microphone if you have one plugged in.

The music sounds like bad early German ambient electronica at the beginning of the game. So much so, that I'm not sure it was even playing correctly, as it mostly sounded like a collection of random beeps and feedback.

I'm done with pre-orders before reviews are out. I'm tired of console ports that fail to live up to the PC's capabilities; I'm equally tired of reviewers glibly accepting this without calling game companies to task.

And why is the game so ... French? I'm in the Kingdom of Ehb, yet everyone sounds like they spent the month in Paris.

This is NOT Dungeon Siege. This is not even a PC game.

And why do I need a Steam connection to play at home on my LAN?

Thank you, Square Enix and Obsidian. I will not pre-order games ever again; I'm tired of being burnt by crap like this.

EDITED TO ADD:

One of the biggest problems with computer games is that they are non-returnable. You buy a game, it utterly sucks, and you're stuck with it. There is no way to get your money back; and therefore, no incentive for game companies to improve their products.
1616 comments|180 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2011
Before I explain why I am giving this game a 1, I will give you the pro's of the game first.

1. Good character development
2. Story Line.

That is pretty much of all the pro's I can think of.

The con's of the game.

1. This is not Dungeon Siege! The world is pretty much closed and you follow a predefined path. The world is not open like the other two Dungeon Siege games. It is pretty much linear.
2. It did not come with a manual. The site I was told I could download the manual, [...] gave me a 403 forbidden error. I even tried at Square Enix's site and got and error.
3. My registration for the game worked fine for steam, but my red registration card to register with Square Enix told me it had expired. Amazon delivered this game the day it was released to me.
4. I don't like having to use STEAM to play the game. Maybe i should have looked into this before purchase.
5. No Health Potions, Mana Potions. You just pick up little green or blue floating balls to refill.
6. You can start with a choice of 4 characters. You can not customize characters at all, or even name them.
7. The area's were you can walk are so small some combat is so hard you cant run to get away and fight a few at a time.
8. The world is dark. Never seems to be bright daylight. As stated above you spend most times in caves, dungeons ect.
9. I will admit I am not great at combat, but i get caught in small spaces so much I am constantly reloading.
10. You can only save at certain spots.
11. Although I have not beaten the game yet, it seems that a lot of people are finishing it in about 12-16 hours.
12. For the price they charged for this game, the content could have been a lot better. Instead they plan to make you purchase more content.

With that being said, If you don't look at this game as a "Dungeon Siege Game" maybe you will like it. I am sorely disappointed, I will try to finish the game simply so I haven't wasted my money.
66 comments|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2011
Very dissapointed beat the game in about 12 hours of gameplay. Not at all what I expected in the Dungeon Siege franchise. I guess it just boils down to is, it's cross platform now and what has been a PC title with some complexity and replayability has been overly simplified so it can be played on consoles. You can't even map ablities to new keys, you are stuck with the default and have to play the game like you're using a controller but with your keyboard and mouse. Good thing there's a complete lack of abilities in the game, that all your attacks can be used with the 1, 2, and 3 keys. Anyways skip the PC version, Dungeon Siege is an oversimplified console game now with a party size of 2 and very little content and no replayability.

Also, the last boss fight for me was bugged and there is no way for the player to lose, you just automatically win.
on June 21, 2011
I am a Dungeon Siege fan through and through. I am also a PC gamer, not a console gamer. DS 3 is neither a Dungeon Siege game or a PC game.
When I buy an RPG for PC I expect an engaging, immersive world with highly customizable characters and equipment that can be used to explore unique areas with parties of at least 4 or more heroes/henchmen. This game has NONE of that. It is obviously an attempt to release an RPG simultaneously on both the PC and console. In order to accomplish this the game must work on the console's limited controller structure. By doing this you remove all the functionality of the PC's mouse and keyboard input devices.
I am extremely disappointed in this release. I'm out $50 after playing the game for about 10 minutes. Other reviewers have gone into much more detail about the poor control structure of this game. Please read those reviews and make an informed choice before deciding whether to buy or not.
44 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2011
At the end of the day I found Dungeon Siege 3 to be enjoyable on some levels, but I feel as though releasing this game under the Dungeon Siege banner may have been a bit misleading to loyal DS fans. I get the feeling that the game was titled more out of a desire to hook into an established customer base for use as a marketing tool than being titled out of any true relation to the Dungeon Siege series.

I found the control setup and overall feel of the gameplay to be very familiar. In fact it reminded me of another Square Enix title, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. Both titles feel very similar to each other in terms of gameplay, style, and mechanics. DS3 did not remind me of DS1 or DS2, so loyal fans beware.

In the past the Dungeon Siege series has been a PC exclusive. The third installment marks the first time that the series has gone multi-platform, making an appearance on consoles. The control mechanisms and even the HUD suggest that this game was designed primarily for play on consoles with the PC as an afterthought, so much so that I would not recommend getting this game unless you have a 360 controller (or equivalent). The controls are very cumbersome on a keyboard/mouse setup.

This game seeks to fill the action RPG void but places a stronger focus on the action. Most RPG elements have been significantly reduced in scope, at least when compared to typical PC action RPGs. There are really only a small handful of active skills to select and a very limited variety in items/drops. I suspect the limited choices are due to making the game more console friendly, where the inclusion of full skill trees wouldn't have mapped well to a controller.

In some small way the simplistic nature could be viewed as an asset, I found myself "just playing the game" as opposed to overanalyzing potential character builds. In fact this game doesn't allow you to save up unused skill points; the game simply halts and forces you to spend points before you are allowed to continue. Again, this design choice points away from action RPG and more toward pure action and significantly reduces the replay value.

Each of the four character classes has two "stances" for combat. An example for the ranger class is a ranged stance to slowly dish out high damage at distance vs a close quarters stance for dealing less damage but quicker and at a reduced range. The skills you are able to use change depending on which stance is taken.
The quantity of available skills leaves much to be desired. Even with the limited number of skills I found myself exclusively using only one skill and ignoring the others. Most skills simply aren't useful at all.

There are no potions; DS3 opts for using health and mana orbs that are randomly dropped by enemies.

This game is very linear. While other DS games haven't exactly offered open ended exploration, I found that the bulk of the game was limited to very narrow corridors with little to no open space. You'll be walking down a lot of long narrow paths.

You are allowed one PC controlled party member in the single player campaign. The party member may be swapped out at any time. There are three choices of party members, namely any one of the three character classes you didn't pick as the main character.

As of yet I haven't played multiplayer, but I hear that multiplayer aspects haven't been implemented very well. Hopefully other reviews will elaborate on multiplayer.

I've found the game to be compelling and fun and I imagine I'll eventually do a few play-throughs but expectations will play a large role in determining whether you will enjoy the game. In this regard Square Enix has set themselves up for some backlash from the PC gamer community. "Dungeon Siege" carries a whole set of expectations along with it and those expectations simply weren't met. They would have been better off going with a different title. The good news is that a free demo is available, and it will give you a good indication as to whether you will enjoy the game.

One final note... while fun in its own unique way I feel as though the simplistic nature of the game warrants a lower initial price point. A true Dungeon Siege sequel with all the depth and trimmings would have warranted the higher price, but this game definitely has an Xbox live feel and should have been priced accordingly.

Edit: A few important things I haven't seen mentioned yet.
- There's no ability to start the game over at a higher difficulty with an established character. You will be starting over every time you replay.
- During the course of the game you will acquire all available skills. This removes decisions and builds from the equation; since one ranged character will have the exact same skill set as all others. There is some choice in that each skill has one of two "synergies" but the synergies offer little customization and the overall skill is the exact same.

The synergies only represent slight tweaks to percentage chance to burn, stun, etc. and don't make a significant impact. This really, really impacts the replay value. You won't go back to try a different build because there are none to be had and you'll likely get your fill of the three remaining classes you didn't select because they make up your party. At this point I don't really see myself replaying the game with each of the 4 character classes. I'll likely only play twice so I can see all four characters in action (player controlled and PC controlled ally).
66 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2011
There's an old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Dungeon Siege 1 was brilliant in that it was a simple hack and slash game, with tons of loot in an open world (as in it didn't feel cramped and completely linear). Character customization was through the roof. Game play could last for days, weeks, months... hell I still play it from time to time. I won't ramble on with it, but moving on to the sequels, it seems that they keep changing and adding new ideas which completely broke away from what the original was all about.

Dungeon Siege 3 is a monstrosity if compared to its predecessors. This is a completely unrelated game with its own mechanics and should not bear the name of Dungeon Siege. The Dungeon Siege series was a PC exclusive game, till now and this shows the full force of it. This was blatantly made for the console with the PC as a mere afterthought.

Character Customization:
There is none. Zero. Nada. Zip. You have four characters to choose from and they are all pre-made and stuck in their specific field. Want a warrior that can shoot spells or used ranged weaponry? Nope, sorry. You cannot change your characters name, you cannot customize your characters appearance, you cannot change how your character plays. The only thing that CAN be customized is talents as you level. Even though by the end of the game, you will have ALL of the talents for your specific class, throwing decisions and builds out the window.

Multiplayer:
One of the key aspects of this game was cooperative multiplayer. Here's how it works. One player creates a game and can set it to Offline (default), Private, or Public. With Private, you can invite friends to join or Public random people can join in. The player that created the game can keep any loot or xp they acquire throughout the game. Any players that joined, choose a pre-made character to "help" the main character (eg the person that created the game). Secondary characters do NOT keep ANYTHING from their multiplayer session. All players must remain on screen at all times or you cannot move anywhere. If a player tries to run away, the camera will skew to such a degree so that you are always facing the other players and will hit an invisible wall. Does this sound fun? Absolutely not. Massive restriction here.

Controls/Camera:
This was the worst of it I think. I mentioned the camera in multiplayer above. On top of that, it's restricted to a near top/down view, hindering view distance and visibility. I felt like I was stuck in a resolution of 800x600 while in multiplayer. Single player camera seems to play out differently, and I did not have much of an issue with it besides the control interface. Movement is solely with the ASWD keys (no point in click found in the previous titles). There is NO keyboard customization in this game. NONE. What game does NOT allow keyboard configurations?!

DRM:
This game makes use of Steamworks as its DRM of choice. While I have no issue with it, as I make extensive use of Steam, others may. If you do not want to be forced into using Steam, do NOT buy this game (although I wouldn't recommend this game regardless).

Stay far and clear of this title. If I could get a refund for this, I would do it in a heartbeat. Game completion time is less then 15 hours, not worth the price tag. Re-playability is none.
on June 23, 2011
I was looking forward to checking this game out (although I did have some doubts based on Obsidian's track record).

First impressions:
The opening graphics look good and pretty polished.
I was able to use all high or ultra settings with my video card and it all looked pretty cool complete with glowing eyeballs at character selection.

The first character selection looks cool, then the next looks even cooler, the "flame chick".
Oh then a bad thing is you can only play a female.
I dig chicks, but then maybe I wanted to play a "fire dude".

Into the game:
First thing you feel is the controls are odd.
Not intuitive at all. The right mouse control sort of duplicates what the 'A' and 'D' keys do, etc.

PC users are used to a certain control style with the WASD keys and the mouse where Right click is usually the camera control, etc.
I thought fine, it's just a bit unusual so I have to get used to this style.
But after playing for a while I realized this is not the case at all. The controls are just horrible period.
It feels like the game was targeted for Consoles and the PC got no love with a quick and dirty hack job.

Horrid camera. This game leaves one wondering what it is that you can't see.
So frustrating that it was like I was trying to lower my head at an angle to see what is on the horizon but just couldn't.
Maybe if the camera could zoom out farther and at a bit better angle so I could have a better sense of my surroundings.

The game it's self:
At the beginning the game is pretty interesting. More nice graphics et al.

Then there are these oddities like you travel down a fairly long path only to find a locked door that needs a key.
There is no explanation, tie-in, or connection to it leaving you wondering "WTF is this key?", "Where do I get this &^*#%$ key?"

Also despite what the gama tool thing says, should actually turn it up a little higher to see things properly.

To open your inventory you press 'I'? Nope, you press 'C' and go through a series of menus.
There is this annoying little animation every-time you open it up that gets old fast.

With any kind of dungeon crawler game I want to find special loot to trick my character out.
So I look around scouring for it.
More frustration, the bad controls making it a chore to get anywhere, and because of how the world/map is designed leaving you wondering what you are missing.
Furthermore when you do find some chest awkwardly hidden behind a wall there is little sense of reward for it.

I kept reaching for the 'M' key to realize there is no world map.
Maybe not a necessity for the genre but the urge for one is probably do to a bad sized mini/radar map.

There are quests but no modern direction indicators too, again wishing there was a world map at least to show where to go for them.

The game feels pretty lifeless. The NPC mostly stand in one place and you can only interact with so many.
The AI is dumb and pretty uninspiring. You move into their trigger area and they run after you, if you run so far they just run back to where they were, etc. The way they move, how they attack, is all pretty bland.

A common fight scenario:
I run down a path and encounter baddies. At least I think so, I hear them anyhow.
So I pan and tilt the the 1917 Albatross controls hunting for where it's coming from.
Ahh there they are!, they are already hitting me having run behind some place I couldn't see.
My mage character needs distance to be the most effective.
More awkward fiddling with the controls trying to run in a location where I can strike at them with my AOE.

I just read they are making a patch to fix the PC control.
As with other Obsidian games this is baffling to me.
Don't they have any kind of QA, and, or, any play testers at all?

In conclusion:
Playing this game is like watching a bad movie. You keep hoping it will get better, but it never does.

I played for a few hours, did a few of the quests, etc., but just could not play it any longer as the camera and control was so unintuitive and distracting it started to make me feel physically ill.

It has nice artwork on the box and promotional materials but don't be fooled.
Avoid this game. If you can handle the bad controls and camera you will probably find it boring and uninspiring.

IMHO there is much better to spend your time and play.
If nothing else, wait a week or two and pick it up at the $9.99 bargain bin.
And while you are at it, best pick up a dramamine or two.
on June 23, 2011
So.. fans of Dungeon Siege will probably notice a few things in common with the series. That is... they share the first two words of the title and a few references to Stonebridge and the kingdom of Ehb within the game..

Like others have mentioned, this game was clearly designed for the console and ported to the PC as an afterthought. The controls are horrid and from the very limited and basic options menu, there just doesn't seem to be any way to customize them at all.

It's a fun game, albeit the controls and cameras are annoying at times, but I had to drop all my expectations of it living up to the Dungeon Siege name.
on June 22, 2011
Did I go back in time 3 months, because this must be April Fool's Day. I thought after the Fall Out New Vegas fiasco, Obsidian would get their act together and create something a lot more engaging. Instead this game makes New Vegas look like the Mona Lisa of RPG's.

This game may be playable on a console, but on a PC every thing from movement to looting is mind boggingly ridiculous. And based on the other reviews, it doesn't seem too good on the consoles either. Key strokes to loot? Why not just go full out 90's and make every action type based? "Equip Shotgun of Mercy." "Point gun at head." "Pull trigger."

Well, another $50 bucks wasted. And because of Steam, I guess I can't even sell it. Thanks game developers for shoving another heaping pile into the mouths of your loyal sheeple yet
again. Anyone want a shiny frisbee? I will never pre-order another game again. Be warned.
on June 28, 2011
I've been waiting for this game to come out for almost 6 years now, and I assumed it would either be better or at least not too much worse than Dungeon Siege 2. I guess my expectations were too high, as this has easily joined the ranks of the worst games I've played in quite some time. Even the retail packaging felt flimsy, as they had the disc in a cheap plastic DVD case designed with huge holes so that when you hold it, your fingers sink into the interior of it. The "instruction/gameplay" manual was a joke as it just tells you to download the "full" manual from the website. I don't know why they didn't just print it, as the PDF you can download isn't much more meaty than the pamphlet they already include. They included a slip of paper with a registration code for some site called "Square-Enix Members" which I was unable to figure out how to activate. This game is Steam enabled and uses Steam DRM which is totally lame.

It sort of felt like they tried emulating some of the other games that were released recently, like Dragon Age, etc., however they missed the mark. I'm surprised they failed so miserably, as Neverwinter Nights 2 (or Fallout:New Vegas), also produced by Obsidian was a much better game. Dungeon Siege III, is extremely linear without the ability to freely explore your surroundings. I was a little surprised that the graphics weren't all that great either. Often in the cut-scenes, the movies had blaring compression artifacting and the in-game graphics weren't anything to write home about either. While I can accept that, one thing (out of many) I found frustrating is that I kept getting stuck on the sides of the explorable areas and often you could only get out of it by reversing out at the exact angle that got you stuck in the first place even though it looks like you should be able to angle a little to the left or right to traverse around it. Additionally, there were little obstacles in the middle of the path that serve no purpose other than to make you have to move an inch to one side or the other or get stuck the same way.

The two camera modes were annoying, as you couldn't really look forward much and couldn't look up at all. The field of vision was extremely limited and the mini-map made exploration sometimes challenging. There is no way to expand the mini-map, and there isn't a full map you can use to trudge around with. The back and forth nature of the quests in the game drew attention to just how slow your character party moves. The controls are quite clunky, and getting to certain highly useful screens was a real pain as there weren't any keyboard shortcuts for them. It was also annoying to have to get to save points to save your progress, which meant that you can't just save and go do something else. You have to look around for the nearest save point and hope there wasn't a battle next to it, since you cannot save while you're in combat. It'd be nice if they used the normal RPG items like health and mana potions, etc, as in order to heal up or get mana/focus you must be in combat and pick up little floating green and blue balls. Walking through a save point doesn't heal you, although it will if you take the time to save your progress.

There are so many things to nit-pick, that I'll forego most of the rest of them and comment on two last things: The A.I. was pretty pitiful. While most of the battles required some strategy, I found that the A.I. chose to normally attack the player directly. I'm not sure if the A.I. chooses the character with the most hit points, or damage per second or something...but it made boss battles a joke. If I found it challenging, all I had to do was run around the boss in circles and the boss and his/her underlings would follow me around the screen trying to attack me while ignoring my second party member that's plunking away at them, which would eventually kill them. And secondly, the game was pitifully short. It can be completed in 10-15 hours. It took me 15 hours of gameplay to do almost all of the side-quests and all of the main quests.

My recommendation: Wait until this game hits the bargain bins. Buy it new because it's Steam enabled and once you activate it, you cannot use the code again on another account so it's worthless as a hand-me-down.

See 1 answered question