Dungeons and Dragons Classic Anthology - PC
|Price:||$106.50 + $6.99 shipping|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
All six are isometric Role-Playing games and (with the exception of TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL) they are built on variations of the Infinity Engine. They also share similar gameplay mechanics. They are story driven (prepare to do a lot of reading when faced with dialogue options - something I missed in their latest successor, Dragon Age: Origins), and they offer almost an infinite number of customizations for your hero and his companions.
If you are hooked on graphics you should know that these games are no eye-candy anymore. However, we have all played or rather tried to play bad games with impressive graphics and know that a game does not have to offer the latest graphics to grab you, immerse you into its world and offer endless hours of escapist fun.
Because there are tons of reviews on the individual games (links provided), I shall only give brief descriptions of them.
BALDUR's GATE Saga: The Stone years. This includes Baldur's Gate I & Baldur's Gate II, each with its own expansion (this is how it is done, good games are followed by a single solid expansion - not a endless string of DLCs!).Read more ›
1. Excellent top notch writing. Fun intricate characters that you will actually care about.
2. Non-linear gameplay (to a point).
3. Length of the game (you can get anywhere from 50-80 hours out of one game, with the exception of Icewind Dale 1+2). I can't stand shelling out 60 bucks for a game I can beat in 5-10 hours.
4. Engrossing storyline
5. These games have "the magic". You know when you pick up a game and you can't explain why, or how, but you can't stop playing? All of these games have it.... All of them...
6. They work on Windows 7! And yes I have played this version on my Windows 7 PC, it does work. Yeah!
1. Graphics are far inferior to what is put out these days (it was top notch when they were released)
2. Speed. There is a lot of simply waiting for your characters to walk from point A to point B on the screen, and they walk slowly...
These games are classics and will always hold a special little nook in the gaming section of my metaphorical heart....
Unfortunately, there is a Runtime Error occuring when you download the "Heart of Winter" expansion to the original "Icewind Dale" game. Whenever you Create a Character and look at that char's Bio then click Done, or while Importing a Character, there is a runtime error. After some online research it seems that Avast Anti-virus is causing this, and it is a fairly recent problem. (Hopefully Avast will have a patch that fixes this.)
In the meantime to get around this error, you can either skip the Bio's when creating a character, disable Avast temporarily while creating your party (as this error does NOT happen in-game), or add IWD's file to the Avast system. This 3rd option is the best. The steps to doing so are: Click on your Avast icon > Real-time Shields > Behaviour Shields > Expert Settings > Trusted Processes > add in the file to be excluded, for example mine is C:\Program Files\Atari\DnDMC\Icewind Dale\IDMain.exe (your's may be different). Click "Okay".
It's a little annoying, but an easy process. After this, enjoy playing Icewind Dale & Heart of Winter!
Installed it immediately after download, headed over to Pocket Plane Group's website to download EasyTutu and varying other mods. While BGI and BGII are still enjoyable, there are many things that the mods fix. However, I quickly found out that this compilation install does two things:
1) It creates file directories differently than the original disks did
2) It DOES NOT install an essential file, bgate2.mpi
Without bgate2.mpi, EasyTutu failed to properly install, and due to the differing directories, game text fixes would not install.
So, while I'm happy to get the collection, I'm not able to play the games at their full potential.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This is the most wonderful collection of games for anyone who played these as a child, but also, for anyone hoping to play some of the greatest RPG games made. Read morePublished 12 months ago by James cousins
I had to buy this when I saw it. All these classic D&D-based games (BG2 and Torment are among the best RPGs of all time) on TWO DVDs and updated for compatibility on Win7? Read morePublished 16 months ago by Banon
Classic D&D computer games in one package. I love this set! I love playing these games over & over again. Read morePublished 17 months ago by Brian E