on September 10, 2005
I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit. The hero's consist of a Rogue, barbarian, fighter, cleric and wizard. Some funny moments involving the barbarian and the rogue were great. Special effects overall were fine. Nothing award winning but they did the job.

The traps in the film were good, one in particular I absoletly loved. We got to see what happened when spells don't quite work out the way you expected them to (oh oh).

We got to see more of the MM (Monster Manual) creatures in this one than the original (which was basically just a bunch of dragons).

I got to see my favorite creature cause some havoc (Magmin).

Now to put a rumor to rest. Damador is definately NOT a caster in this film. Though they do not say it outright there is a scene in the movie that hints heavily at this (btw I also have official WotC stats the state Damodar at the time of the original movie to be a lvl 7 fighter). So the rumours that Damodar is a lich/caster are false, though there is a lich in the movie.

Overall I think the movie was far better than the original. I could see plenty of spots for improvement but I think they are finally doing the right thing, seems like WotC's imput in the film was listended to this time.

The special features though few are good.

Rolling the Dice: The cast, director and some others talk about translating D&D to screen. There are also behind the scenes clips of stunts and makeup effects.

The Arc: Gary Gygax talks about the characters of the movie, their roles and what he thought of them. Clips of each character in action are shown in this.

Servant of Decay: This is the DVD-Rom special feature. It is a 20+ page 3.5 adventure set in the WotDG world. The adventure takes place in one of Malek's Vault's.

The Commentary: The commentary is the one feature that is lacking on this dvd. Personally I don't care about Wizards of the Coast ED Starks thoughts on it, I would have preferred to have heard from the cast of the film, from what I saw in the other special features it looked like they had a great time making this!
on March 28, 2006
I am a fan of the fantasy genre and have played Dungeons and Dragons way back when. Like most other folks who have fond memories of AD&D adventures, the film version based on D&D was a complete let-down. I wont go into a tirade about it, its been slammed enough!

Now comes a made-for Sci-Fi Channel sequel. I thought, yeah another Sci-Fi cheapie film with horrible production values and cartoonish CGI and wooden acting. I rented it anyway and was very suprised to find out how good it was. Granted, it was obviously made on a limtited budget, but it was above-average for a Sci-Fi Channel film. The film makers obviously had a love for the source material and took great pains to remain faithful to the spirit of D&D.

The plot is standard stuff: A city is in peril from a gathering Evil and a select few must become its champions and go forth on a quest to retrive a magical artifact and destroy said Evil once and for all.

All of the actors in their respective roles do a competent job of portraying their 'class'. However, the female Barbarian was more eye candy than anything else.

Bottom line: If you are a fan of D&D, rent it. The extras on the DVD are informative and entertaining, except the audio commentary. On the DVD I had, I could not hear Ed Stark( special projects manager for Wizards of the Coast) and the two other people on the track were in 'character' of a halfling thief and half-orc fighter. It got a bit annoying and there were gaps in the conversation.Maybe I had a defective disc, but I could not get through it all and shut it off.
on January 17, 2006
Sometimes you just gotta trust what people say and save what precious hours of your life remain; which is to say, I didn't waste any time on the first D&D film. This review is written about one film and one film only: D&D 2: Wrath of the Dragon God.

As far as fantasy films go, this one comes off as a middle of the road production. The budget allocated for the film was enough to create a believeable backdrop of medieval proportions. Plot-wise, it's not unlike what you'd find in any heroic epic: a hero averts a great disaster that will befall his society.

The characters, while little more than archetypes, do little to make you care about them and barely develop as the film unfolds (though this is not unusual for the genre). There is occasional interplay, mind you, but you'd probably be better served with a second or third viewing of Conan the Destroyer.

Truth be told, I watched this movie strictly from a gamer's perspective and I suppose that's what drew me to it in the first place. If you play D&D, then the film holds your attention: the rules mechanics behind D&D are rendered in accurate terms; the creatures with whom the characters interact are straight out of the monster manual; and nearly every aspect of this film suceeds in conveying what it feels like to sit down to an evening of gaming, eating pizza, and rolling d20s, but not necessarily in that order.

If you have ever played D&D, this is an enjoyable way to kill a couple hours til your game starts. If not, then rent Lord of the Rings. Or Hamlet. Or the 13th Warrior (an excellent Beowulf remake, btw). Or the Princess Bride.

If, however, you're interested in more of this type of stuff, check out a film called 'The Gamers,' by Dead Gentlemen productions. By comparison, there are many more instances of hilarity and intertextuality between gamers and the games they inhabit.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
If you hated the first D&D movie for bad acting, bad writing (who else besides me cheered when the extremely annoying "Snails" finally kicked the bucket?), don't give this one a pass just because it's a sequel. Actually, the writers were wise in retaining the only decent character from the first film, Damodar, to be the bad guy. (Although sadly, he's lost his neon blue lipstick in this film.)

***SPOILER ALERT***

THIS go round, the movie is set a hundred years later, the plot is decent, the acting decent, and oh my gosh! They ACTUALLY paid attention to character classes! When you meet THIS movie's thief, you know he's actually a THIEF, and that's how he makes his living. The barbarian is a surprise, but very well-played. While the actor's expressions are a little wooden at times, and there's a couple of continuity blips (i.e. supporting cast is in one clip, and when you go back, they've suddenly vanished with no explanation), it's overall an enjoyable film for longterm gamers.

And while the action (and hack and slash) are pretty cool, it's the mage Mallora who steals the show---along with some truly creative traps, and a lich secondary character. It's definitely worth the rental, or even adding to your home collection. I hope, should further movies ensue, that they will continue improving... because the rate of improvement over the first movie, to this one, is truly vast. I give it three stars because there are areas where the dialog or reactions are a bit wooden, and the story a bit predictable... but it's enormously better than the first film, and should've been the one released in theatres.

One area I was a little disappointed in was the musical score: very inconsistent. They had some nice "celtic music" type segments... but for the scenes with full orchestral arrangement, the music failed to add enough to the suspense and to help build the action. I'd like to see them get someone like Alan Silvestri, Howard Shore, or Gerry Goldsmith for a third movie, to score the music.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 9, 2005
After seeing this movie on the SciFi channel last night (10/8/05), I was pleasantly surprised. While the script was not on par with recent fantasy/sci-fi fare (Lord of the Rings, Firefly/Serenity), it was much better written and closer to the spirit of the Dungeons & Dragons RPG than the first. Experienced D&D gamers will appreciate the fact that the movie holds to most of the rules in terms what is possible, and non-gamers will find plenty of compelling action and a light enough plot to follow without the need to be well versed in the game.

The writer did an admirable job tying in this sequel with the original while distancing it enough so that it could be a completely different story. Damodar, the main villain's henchman from the first film, is the Big Bad Evil Guy in this installment. He is, as usual with B-list fantasy, wholly and irredeemably evil, but with semi-plausible motivation unlike his boss Profion in the first film. The protagonists are somewhat clichéd, but there are enough twists in their characterizations to keep their adventure fresh and interesting to watch. All in all the acting and writing combine to make this movie as good as it is.

Such a film is not without its problems, though. It is clear that D&D 2 had a smaller budget than the first movie, made obvious by the lack of star power or refined special effects. I suppose that this is par for the course after such a miserable showing in the first movie, but it's hardly the way to cement a new following. Also, the ending, while I will not spoil it here, seemed overly abrupt and somewhat unsatisfying. Had the producer spent more money on fan recognizable talent or bigger effects shots and the writer taken the time to write a full ending, this movie would have merited 4 stars instead of 3.

As an avid gamer, I was relieved and happy to see one of my favorite games portrayed in a mostly accurate manner and that D&D 2 was much better than the cinematic disaster that preceeded it. I recommend it to any current D&D players and all curious fantasy fans who REALLY want to know what D&D is all about.
on January 12, 2007
This was much better than the first cornball movie with Jeremy Irons horrible overacting and camp tone. No academy award performances here, but if you are looking for light entertainment based on the D & D game this is the movie for you. Characters are still one dimensional, and production values are low, but you get what you would expect from this movie.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I really liked this movie, It first came out on Sci Fi Channel so it was a low budget sci fi channel movie. But over all it was a lot better then the first one. The first one had a 100 mill dollar budget and it sucked. This movie was pretty cool and done very will and fun to watch, Lionsgate / sci fi (NBC) done a lot better with a low budget. They actually followed what a group of adventurers would be doing during a average adventure. It brang me back to the old days of DnD.
on October 9, 2005
Ok, I just watched it. It is a far cry better then that other garbage Courtney Solomon made. I hope for more. I know there is a gross (low) budget on this movie but they did it pretty well.

maybe one of these days A "Peter Jackson" will make a "Dragonlance series" (dare to dream).
on August 12, 2013
This second D&D movie was GREAT. A truly fun movie. The characters were well acted and well depicted. The flow and pace of the movie was great. If only they would keep making movies of this kind, the kind of movie that's actually fun to watch and involving. The plot was both believable as well as well written in terms of screenplay. The first one was god awful and very disappointing.

All of the actors were great in this movie. If you like fantasy type stories, especially sword and sorcery, you'll like it. In fact, I thought this was MUCH MUCH better than ANY of the latest attempts like 'Percy Jackson' and that other one with Nicolas Cage, both of which, for me, were so boring an empty that I utterly lost interest not even half way through.

It's surprising, truly, when you see that some directors [however rare they may be], manage to do a heck of a LOT with a very limited budget, when other directors can't seem to deliver ANY of the goods with a budget that is ten times greater. I guess we've all gotten used to crappy movies that 'look great' but are soulless turds. Well, this movie will make you smile. The banter between companions is great, and it's really nice to watch a movie of this type that is actually fun and involving like this one is. I'll likely watch it again some day.
on February 28, 2008
This is one of the better Dungeons and Dragons type movies. The story, cast, effects , and music are all good. Typically at least two of those things fail in many of them. I sat through the whole movie without any wretching or desire to leave the room, which was a pleasant surprise. The story centers around a retired captain of the guard taking command of a group of five champions to fight an evil wizard. The group is comprised of the captain, a female warrior, a male thief, a female wizard, and a male cleric. The characters are well developed during their journey together and work well together. Initially with the right amount of friction and later trusting each other with their life and limb literally. A nice mix of mythical creatures, and the effects were as good as any I have seen. If you enjoy fantasy movies like "Stardust", "Earthsea", and "George and the Dragon", I recommend it. The only thing missing was a little humor. Good quality DVD and replayability.