Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro STEM

on August 13, 2015
To find this quality of instruction available in book form is a rare treat. I have been creating sugar flowers for about two years and started into this book with a moderate amount of experience. I do not find the instructions lacking for anything at all. Basically the approach is to demonstrate a beautiful arrangement of sugar flowers that may be mounted onto a cake. Then each flower is demonstrated in how to make it, and finally there is a description on how to combine the flower you have made into a finished arrangement that is ready to use. From that point of view each chapter is quite comprehensive in what it has to offer! Alan Dunn is one of the top great sugar artists of our time. It is an honor and a privilege to have a chance to own his teaching in book form. He also teach classes via video on the internet which is wonderful as well. I have mastered flowers in this book that I never imagined would be possible. Thank you Alan Dunn for sharing your love of sugar craft and your skill as an artist! I'm including a photo of an Blue Egyptian Water Lily that I learned from this book on page 77 through 79 and this was my very first attempt. Follow the directions and you too will be creating gorgeous sugar flowers for your cakes!
review image
on August 1, 2013
I had ordered this book from MediaMall Retail, but it never made it to my doorstep. I was very disappointed as I couldn't wait to start making my tropical and exotic sugar flowers. When the Company learned that I did not receive it, they attempted to contact me several times to clear the matter up. I was having problems receiving their notifications, but eventually got them. After contacting them, they immediately resolved and refunded my loss, and gave me a "Goodwill" refund. This Company is honorable and I hope they'll do business with me in the future.
on November 28, 2012
I give this a four mainly because I wish there were a few more explanations in the making of the flowers. There are lots of beautiful pictures of the completed designs. There are some photos of the in-process project. The photo of the in-process are kind of the same through-out the book though. The parts of each project that are different are not specifically included in the photos. I am not an expert at gumpaste making or design, but I am not new to it either. Sometimes its a bit hard to understand. Thats why I think the other photos would help. All in all a beautiful design book. I have page-marked some designs and just plan on making them however I can lol. I also have several of his books. The books differ mainly in the photos of completed designs.
on April 26, 2014
alan dunn is very talented in sugercraft. All of his books are great (and I have several). I especially recommend his book Sugar Flower Skills, because of the detailed instruction on how to make sugar flowers look real (very clear and easy instructions, nice images to guide you too). and this one of course! Also love his Sugar Orchids book...hard to choose!
on December 23, 2012
I purchased this book for my niece who is learning cake decorating and every year I purchase a book for her. This year I wanted her to expand her knowledge and make some wonderful tropical flowers for her friends & family and this book certainly had that to offer.
on April 28, 2012
this book is excellent. I recommend it for people who 1st off have patience & as well as fpr people who have prior knowledge of making/dealing with gumpaste flowers. in this book, the outcome of everything is beautiful, but like i said the knowledge of what youre doing will be very beneficial. great work!
on November 5, 2013
This is yet another amazing book by Alan to help us further our craft in gumpaste flowers. His step by step pictures and descriptions make it so approachable you will want to try them yourself. The best part is, you will be successful. I would tell you to buy all his books.
on January 10, 2012
Alan gives specific details along with useful illustrations enabling the reader to make superior sugar flowers. Some conversions need to be made in relation to cutters, veiners, and petal dusts as Alan purchases his supplies from UK merchants. I have many of Alan's books and find them all to be excellent.
on September 25, 2011
This is an excellent book on tropical flowers, I am very happy because you cannot find this type of instruction easily. Alan did a wonderful job like with everything he does. I love this book.
on February 4, 2013
I recommend this book for making the "above average" sugar flowers. Alan's instructions are the easiest to understand because of the illustrations that go with each instruction.