4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely warm and low weight, but get one size up
Published on January 16, 2010 by Manzanilla Olives

3.0 out of 5 stars Not like they used to be
Published on February 14, 2009 by Dave in wi

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely warm and low weight, but get one size up, January 16, 2010
This review is from: Duofold Men's Expedition Weight Two-Layer Thermal Tagless Bottom (Apparel)
I find the Varitherm expedition weight material to be very warm, as well as soft and lightweight. These are designed to be used by people who need to move, so they are form fitting and moisture wicking. There is also a 'sportsman' expedition weight model available from Duofold which might be heavier but it is not designed foe moving. I usually wear 34 pants, and I can even just button 32 size pants, so I ordered the medium (32-34). This turned out to be a mistake, since the elastic band is very tight. The material around my legs fit perfectly, but I ended up cutting the elastic with scissors which was a big improvement. I also ordered the large as a second pair, and these fit my 34 waist without any discomfort, but the legs are just a tad looser than form fitting. I'm not sure why they use tight elastic at all, especially since they also include a string if you want to make it tighter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Duofold 820h Expedition weight 2-layer thermal bottoms, October 28, 2008
Very warm baselayer long underwear. I wear size 36 pants so I ordered size large. A bit snug but I think that's the idea. I bought these primarily for coldweather motorcycle riding. When used in conjunction with good windblocking pants they are very effective. They keep me warm while wicking away moisture and sweat. They are not bulky at all which is very important and are priced less than half of comparable underarmour models. I've found they work well just wearing underneath any other clothes when it's cold out.

Highly recommended for any cold weather activity.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not like they used to be, February 14, 2009
I bought a set of Duofold Expedition weight thermals over five years ago. They are really comfy and very warm. I only wore them on those really cold nights. Well, after this winter of more really cold nights than usual, I decided to get another pair. I was disappointed. This new pair is not as thick as the old pair and not as warm. Also, the old pair of thermal bottoms had a brief-type opening in the front so you could access your equipment when nature called. The new thinner version has no opening of any sort in the front.

These are decent thermals, but being thinner than the old ones and not as warm, I wouldn't order them again at the price they are selling for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full Review, October 29, 2011
Package was recieved fast and as described. As usual with Amazon)

Ok, so I got these as my primary base layer for hunting. I broke them out on opening day and here are the results.

It was a crisp 41 degrees with a 5 mph breeze. I put these on as my base layer.

Layering:

Top: Over the base layer I had a plain cotton tee shirt, long sleeve flannel and a heavy jacket.
Bottom: Over the base layer I had a standard pair of camo pants.

I had to walk about a half mile to my stand. I got pretty warm doing this, and the base layer handled the moisture wicking remarkably well. Once in the stand I settled in and got still. After a short time I noticed my legs getting cold. It wasn't a fridgid cold, but just enough to make you want to move around to generate some heat. You hunters know what I mean. It never got colder than this, but it wasn't a sub-freezing day either. Up top I stayed nice and toasty.

So, taking into account all factors, I would say these are very good at moisture wicking, ok as heat retention when thinly layered, and good once more layers are added. My thoughts are that adding more layers will always hold in more heat, however, these will help in keeping moisture wicked away from too much heat and will thus keep me toasty on those colder mornings.

Overall pretty good. Just not the miracle worker I was hoping for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Warmth and Comfort, January 12, 2008
These are a comfortable weight and very warm. I also purchased the top and shipped both to my grandson who is very appreciated of the warmth provided. And they were half the price of the big name brand product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, October 22, 2009
I purchased these to ride my motorcycle in colder weather. Being from the Northeast it's possible to get caught up in some chilly temp's once the sun goes down. Anyways, these pants are comfortable and form fitting. I bought a pair of XL and I am 6'3" 205 lbs. I'd say they fit percetly as I wanted something thight to go on under my jeans. Good material, I have yet to see how much they will shrink in the dryer, but hopefully not much. I would buy these again if I needed another pair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, February 4, 2011
Ryan Reddell (Worcester, ma United States) - See all my reviews
Bought this to use as a base layer during a 3 day snowmobile trip through Yellow Stone. After the first day, I just wore these with a gym shell pants and my suite. Kept me NICE AND WARM! I now use them when I have to go out and snow blow.

Will pick up a few more if they go on sale!

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommend Long for regular size wearers, December 8, 2010
These are great. Nice and toasty. Ride my Goldwing in 20 degree weather (today) and bearly feel a chill. They also breath nicely all day so I don't get too hot. Bought some of that special motorcycle long underwear at twice the price. These are the one I wear. Do recommend the long size as the regular seem to want to pull down a bit at times. Great item will buy more.

4.0 out of 5 stars worth what you pay, January 17, 2011
its a bit long but i might just be short, i didnt like the fact that i couldnt fit the bottom of the pants over my snowboard boots. so i end up having to put it in my boots and it left seams on my leg because my boots were really snug. they were warm but when youre constantly sitting in the snow you might want to consider another layer under your outer layer pants

1.0 out of 5 stars Pathetic products, December 4, 2009
Unlike any other thermal bottoms including previous Duofold purchases, the "men's" product I received has no fly opening. Is there a serious expectation that the wearer needs to take his pants down every time he stands in front of a urinal?

Btw, the tops that I ordered at the same time are both heavier and less insulating than the previous Duofold purchases that I was hoping to repeat.