4.0 out of 5 stars Duofold Expedition Weight 2-layer thermal top
Published on November 24, 2008 by JC in NC

1.0 out of 5 stars Waaayy different fit from the older ones
I have Duofold tops from a few years ago in both mid and expedition weight, and those were my favorite. To my disappointment, they changed the pattern and these new ones are terrible! The neck hole is sloppy large, the sleeves too short, and wrists loose. All these lead to drafty thermals that don't hold heat (and do not feel right either). I sent them back...
Published on January 28, 2011 by Kevin

4.0 out of 5 stars Duofold Expedition Weight 2-layer thermal top, November 24, 2008
Went with the Duofold brand after reading some recommendations for them in various motorcycle circles. I needed a warm baselayer heavy duty enough for 70mph+ rides at 40 degrees for more than an hour. They couldn't be too bulky as I would layer on top of them. Duofold Expedition weight 2-layer products fit the bill perfectly. Marketed as the thermals of choice for the British special forces I was sold almost immediately.

Note that these are by no means windproof. You will definitely need a windproof layer, insulating layer and then whatever jacket of choice on top. Mine actually is a perforated leather jacket and I am plenty warm despite the perforations. "Motorcycle specific" thermals go for almost twice as much as these Duofolds. Final note is that they are moisture wicking. So any sweat or moisture that develops during a ride will wick away which any motorcycle rider will tell you is very important.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waaayy different fit from the older ones, January 28, 2011

The new pants actually got better, though. The legs are longer and waist seems better designed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps the hubby warm, May 18, 2009
My husband is a trucker, and quite often goes where the cold weather is. It isn't always convenient for him to dress for cold weather, as he's usually in the warmer climate areas. I bought this for him to have on hand for those times when he unexpectedly goes north, and he's extremely happy with the warmth it provides without the bulkiness like some of the other shirts he has.

5.0 out of 5 stars the very best, October 19, 2009
Matthew G. Sherwin (last seen screaming at Amazon customer service) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Duofold Men's Expedition Weight Two-Layer Thermal Tagless Crew (Apparel)
Duofold makes an exceptional double layered thermal undershirt with a crew cut neck for incredibly cold weather. I got this not too long ago; and this particular undershirt is probably the best one I have when I want to use it as a layer of clothing to protect myself from the cold. I am also extremely impressed that it was designed to help protect U.S. Special Forces--now you KNOW it's going to help you stay warm in cold weather! This can be worn as underwear under your outdoor clothes or you can wear it in bed with thermal pajamas on over it.

It does have odor resistant properties. Moreover, the fabric doesn't bunch up very much so it remains pretty comfortable while you're wearing it.

This will last years with the proper care. I put mine in the regular clothes washer and dryer and it comes out fine. Note that this only comes in black; if you're concerned about the black color "bleeding" onto other articles of clothing, wash this with garments that are not white. In addition, it shrinks very little.

If you want to order this here, check the pricing and availability chart and the merchant sizing chart before you order.

Overall, Duofold makes an awesome "expedition weight two-layer thermal tagless crew" neck styled undershirt. I highly recommend it for when the temperature drops and you need to stay warm!

5.0 out of 5 stars keeps you warm in the winter, December 25, 2009
unfortunately its not wind proof but if your in a cold room (30-50 degrees) then you'll stay warm. the fabrics aren't the best and shouldn't come in contact with your skin. so i recommend you wear like a cotton better yet silk, long sleeve under this and you will feel better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely disgusted!, March 26, 2011
I bought this shirt after searching for the perfect thermal shirt for my boyfriend who works outside all day. After just one wash, and NO dryer time (I hung the shirt to dry) the sleeves shrunk almost up to the elbows! I spent the extra money hoping for good quality and was absolutely disgusted after one wash! Never again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Thermal. Just pay attention to the sizing shart., November 8, 2010
There is a slight misnomer when manufacturers describe the different weights of performance
theramals. The Expedition weight is construed to be called the heaviest top avaiable from Duofold,or any of their rivals, but should really be labled heavy weight.
My other suggestion is a matter of sizing. If you want a snug fitting top, go by the sizing chart. But if you want sufficient arm length when stretched, and overall length so the shirt stays in place, move up one size.

With those two clarifications, I rate the Duofold Expedition weight thermal with a 4.7 star
rating. It fits well with the mix of Lycra,wears very well, and holds it's shape, even after many,many washings. This unit has evolved over the years into a 21st century garmet, so cudos deservingly goes to Duofold for striving to producing an excellent product v/s the total cost.
Amazon offers one of the lowest cost on the internet. And that extends to many more products. With the added feature of free shipping for thousands, upon thousands of items, Amazon is hard to beat in 80% of my purchases. Would I purchase this product again? I will,and I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dont be frozen, February 16, 2012
My son works outside and needed the expedition weight top. It was a great buy. He is very long waisted and 6foot tall- but this top says tucked. It is not too short. He loves it. He wears it with a t shirt over it and he is good to go down to 32 degrees. Below 32 he adds a hoodie.

5.0 out of 5 stars NICE!, February 12, 2011
My husband absolutely loves this shirt. It is very nice to look at, comfortable, and well made. What more can you ask for? I would note that it is made a little on the small side. I would highly recommend this shirt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, December 3, 2012
Wore these with a mid weight hunting jacket on a trip to Canada. Temps were in the low teans and sub zero Fahrenheit. I was walking most of the trip, so that alone helps to keep warm. but I found this base layer incredible comfortable and warm. The two days I wore a different base layer, I was nowhere near as comfortable.

Rate and Discover Movies