Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on November 24, 2008
Went with the Duofold brand after reading some recommendations for them in various motorcycle circles. I needed a warm baselayer heavy duty enough for 70mph+ rides at 40 degrees for more than an hour. They couldn't be too bulky as I would layer on top of them. Duofold Expedition weight 2-layer products fit the bill perfectly. Marketed as the thermals of choice for the British special forces I was sold almost immediately.

Note that these are by no means windproof. You will definitely need a windproof layer, insulating layer and then whatever jacket of choice on top. Mine actually is a perforated leather jacket and I am plenty warm despite the perforations. "Motorcycle specific" thermals go for almost twice as much as these Duofolds. Final note is that they are moisture wicking. So any sweat or moisture that develops during a ride will wick away which any motorcycle rider will tell you is very important.
11 comment28 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 28, 2011
I have Duofold tops from a few years ago in both mid and expedition weight, and those were my favorite. To my disappointment, they changed the pattern and these new ones are terrible! The neck hole is sloppy large, the sleeves too short, and wrists loose. All these lead to drafty thermals that don't hold heat (and do not feel right either). I sent them back.

The new pants actually got better, though. The legs are longer and waist seems better designed.
on May 18, 2009
My husband is a trucker, and quite often goes where the cold weather is. It isn't always convenient for him to dress for cold weather, as he's usually in the warmer climate areas. I bought this for him to have on hand for those times when he unexpectedly goes north, and he's extremely happy with the warmth it provides without the bulkiness like some of the other shirts he has.
Duofold makes an exceptional double layered thermal undershirt with a crew cut neck for incredibly cold weather. I got this not too long ago; and this particular undershirt is probably the best one I have when I want to use it as a layer of clothing to protect myself from the cold. I am also extremely impressed that it was designed to help protect U.S. Special Forces--now you KNOW it's going to help you stay warm in cold weather! This can be worn as underwear under your outdoor clothes or you can wear it in bed with thermal pajamas on over it.

It does have odor resistant properties. Moreover, the fabric doesn't bunch up very much so it remains pretty comfortable while you're wearing it.

This will last years with the proper care. I put mine in the regular clothes washer and dryer and it comes out fine. Note that this only comes in black; if you're concerned about the black color "bleeding" onto other articles of clothing, wash this with garments that are not white. In addition, it shrinks very little.

If you want to order this here, check the pricing and availability chart and the merchant sizing chart before you order.

Overall, Duofold makes an awesome "expedition weight two-layer thermal tagless crew" neck styled undershirt. I highly recommend it for when the temperature drops and you need to stay warm!
33 comments12 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2009
unfortunately its not wind proof but if your in a cold room (30-50 degrees) then you'll stay warm. the fabrics aren't the best and shouldn't come in contact with your skin. so i recommend you wear like a cotton better yet silk, long sleeve under this and you will feel better.
on November 8, 2010
There is a slight misnomer when manufacturers describe the different weights of performance
theramals. The Expedition weight is construed to be called the heaviest top avaiable from Duofold,or any of their rivals, but should really be labled heavy weight.
My other suggestion is a matter of sizing. If you want a snug fitting top, go by the sizing chart. But if you want sufficient arm length when stretched, and overall length so the shirt stays in place, move up one size.

With those two clarifications, I rate the Duofold Expedition weight thermal with a 4.7 star
rating. It fits well with the mix of Lycra,wears very well, and holds it's shape, even after many,many washings. This unit has evolved over the years into a 21st century garmet, so cudos deservingly goes to Duofold for striving to producing an excellent product v/s the total cost.
Amazon offers one of the lowest cost on the internet. And that extends to many more products. With the added feature of free shipping for thousands, upon thousands of items, Amazon is hard to beat in 80% of my purchases. Would I purchase this product again? I will,and I have.
0Comment10 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2012
Wore these with a mid weight hunting jacket on a trip to Canada. Temps were in the low teans and sub zero Fahrenheit. I was walking most of the trip, so that alone helps to keep warm. but I found this base layer incredible comfortable and warm. The two days I wore a different base layer, I was nowhere near as comfortable.
on February 16, 2012
My son works outside and needed the expedition weight top. It was a great buy. He is very long waisted and 6foot tall- but this top says tucked. It is not too short. He loves it. He wears it with a t shirt over it and he is good to go down to 32 degrees. Below 32 he adds a hoodie.
on December 6, 2012
Not sure if anything changed in the making of this thermal crew, but the new thermal replacing the 820A is now Duofold by Champion KEW1. Fiber Content: 96% Polyester / 4% Spandex Bi-Ply Fabric. Looks like the same material is used.

The matching thermal pants are now KEW2. I have these and they are exceptionally warm and they are thin enough that you can layer them with another pair of thin thermal pants. I ordered this matching crew because of the experience I had with the pants. I can't rate this product yet because I haven't received it yet, but will give it 5 stars because of my experience with the pants.

I work outside for 8 hours as a security officer until 7 PM at night. We have had a few days where the temps have gone down below freezing with wind. The pants did keep me very warm. I do plan on layering them if need be when the temps as we head into winter get lower and lower.

What also is nice about this type of material is that it will not shrink under normal washing and wearing conditions. The only way you can shrink polyester/spandex is washing or soaking it in extremely hot, almost boiling, water. I always wash this type of clothing in cold water with minimal soap using DELICATE cycle of machine. NO fabric softener ever. Garment will last indefinitely.

I would highly recommend the set, top and bottom, for anyone who does stationary outdoor work in extreme cold temperatures.
on February 12, 2011
My husband absolutely loves this shirt. It is very nice to look at, comfortable, and well made. What more can you ask for? I would note that it is made a little on the small side. I would highly recommend this shirt.

See 1 answered question