3,539 Reviews
 (2,619)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome app for learning a new language or review
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great app but permissions...
This app is really helpful! The layout is fun, and I am actually learning!:D
It's free too so what do you got to lose?
Oh right, the fact that this app has permission to access your accounts.
Seriously guys? This app is so great and you do this?
Why? Why do you have to do this to me?
*dramatic cries and falls off bed leading to head injury leading...
Published 15 months ago by a double rainbow

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome app for learning a new language or review, September 24, 2013
This review is from: Duolingo: Learn Languages Free (App)
I downloaded this app just to see what it was all about, and I'm glad that I did. Although I've only done the first lesson in Spanish, I do like the concept of the app. It is similar to the Rosetta Stone in which you are given pictures and you have to choose the one that corresponds to the word. But it's not all about matching pictures to words. You are also given small sentences and phrases, you have to translate from English to the language you're learning and vice versa. The app also uses your microphone so that you can repeat what you hear. However, you can opt to turn the mic off for a period of time.

With this app, you can learn one or all the languages offered (Spanish, French, German, Italian). You will have to create an account (or sign in using Facebook), but the good thing about that is that if you install the app on different devices, your progress is maintained. I can use it on both my Kindle Fire HD 7 (although the mic feature is kind of iffy) and my Droid RAZR phone.

This is a great way to learn a new language. Or, it can also be used to review a language you've already learned. My daughter is taking French 2 in high school, so this app helps to keep her mind sharp and helps her to review what she's already learned last year.

Another great thing about this app is that it is also designed for people who are learning English as well. I would recommend this app for anyone who wants to learn or review a new language.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredilingo, September 24, 2013
This review is from: Duolingo: Learn Languages Free (App)
This is one of my favorite apps on my phone, I'm glad they also brought it to the Kindle. The amount of content that you get is absolutely mind-boggling, and even better...it's free! For a language-learning app of this quality, I could easily imagine paying at least $10 for a single language, but this lets you learn 5 and all you have to spend is your time. As others have mentioned though, there are some nuances to the languages that can be difficult to acquire if you're just using Duolingo, but I do feel like it gives you a fantastic foundation in the languages. My only advice for the developers: please please please add in Japanese! If you do I will go straight to your site and donate. I love the variety of languages so far but it'd be great to have some of the Asian languages such as Chinese, Russian, maybe even Arabic! Anyways, to the potential consumer out there: get this app, you'll be far from disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars great way to learn a new language, September 23, 2013
This review is from: Duolingo: Learn Languages Free (App)
I've learned more Spanish in the three months that I've been using this app than I did in three years of high school/college classes. I'm so glad this is now available on Amazon so I can use it on my Kindle Fire as well as my phone! And now that they've added voice recognition to the mobile app it's even better... Oh and it's free and doesn't have any ads! Can't get much better than that!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, possibly not ideal for a completely new learner, September 22, 2013
This review is from: Duolingo: Learn Languages Free (App)
Very good product. Intuitive interface that develops all aspects (writing, hearing, and reading) at once, as well as going both from English-German and German-English. The only downside I've found (so far), is that it assumes at least a very basic knowledge of the language. Pronouns, verb conjugations (regular and irregular), and noun declensions are never formally introduced, but just added in to the mix. I am using the program to relearn a language (German) that I used to speak fluently, so it's not a problem for me, but I imagine it would be difficult if I were to try to learn a completely new language. Still, overall, a very strong program so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I know about this before?, September 22, 2013
This review is from: Duolingo: Learn Languages Free (App)
This app is awesome! I took French for four years in high school, but was really sad when I realized I don't remember a lot of what I'd learned. I stumbled upon this and I'm in love. Easy to use, kinda fun, and I'm able to refresh all of what I knew before. Excited to show my sister, who is currently in a French class, when I see her next time :)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love duolingo!, September 22, 2013
This review is from: Duolingo: Learn Languages Free (App)
So happy to see it has made its way to Kindle Fire! I've been using this program for two weeks on my other devices and have really been learning a new language. My child is in a language immersion program and I don't speak the language taught. Over the past two weeks I've been able to truly comprehend more of the books he brings home from the library. This review is for the program in general. After I try it on the kindle, I'll update.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as Rosetta Stone, October 9, 2013
This review is from: Duolingo: Learn Languages Free (App)
I am not anti-Rosetta Stone. In fact, I tried Rosetta Stone and it is a top notch program; however I could not bring myself to dropping $600 in this economy to learn a foreign language. This free program, I feel, is just as good as Rosetta stone.

This program teaches by sight, sound, you talking into the microphone, you typing the words... It teaches each word and combination of words through all the teaching methods. Very nice.

Both programs immerse you into the language right away.

The very first lesson had four pictures. It said: SELECT "THE WOMAN". the four pictures were of a woman, a girl, a boy, and a man. Under each picture was the Spanish word for each. Under the picture of the woman it had the Spanish word "la mujer". You pick that picture and you hear a Spanish speaking person say the word (make sure your volume is up). From that lesson, you know instantly the Spanish word for "The Woman" was "la mujer". Each part builds on the previous lesson so you are truly immersed.

You have hearts at the beginning of each lesson. Each time you get something wrong, you lose a heart. This program will not let you advance to the next level if you lose all of your hearts. At first it annoyed me because I just wanted to get to the next level; however, I am glad this feature is here because each lesson builds on the lesson before - so if you don't know the material, it will make the next lesson very hard.

I am learning Spanish and Syntax is important. If you need the little squiggly line above the n as in Niña (girl), it won't count you wrong if you type in "Nina" (without the squiggly line) - *at least not yet - I am on lesson 4*, but it reminds you that it is important to use the proper n. Find out where the special characters are on your device so you can us the proper characters.

This program has a microphone feature so you can practice speaking the language of your choice. The program compiles your speech to make sure you said the phrase right.

One downfall to this program is that you can only choose from around 5 different languages to learn. I wanted to learn Japanese, but it didn't offer that language. I guess it would be hard because the alphabetical characters are not on the typical device.

I am only on lesson 4 so I don't know how deep the lessons go into learning your language. I do know Rosetta Stone takes you all the way, so if this program doesn't go as far as Rosetta stone, then Rosetta Stone is the better program. As I see it now, they are both equal.

Bottom line is this: If you want to learn a foreign language, this is a top notch program.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product at a Great Price, September 24, 2013
Pope Phred "pope_phred" (Joliet (and environs), IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duolingo: Learn Languages Free (App)
I have been using this app for three days now, and have really taken a shine to Duolingo. For me, setup was easy, deciding straight away to begin relearning German, which I took in High School. The style of teaching here is through immersion: you know it or you don't. I can imagine that this might be frustrating for those who have never taken a language course, but I think this is the best way to learn: making your brain work a little instead of learning through rote.

A note about symbols: if you need to add an accent to your letter, hold down the key for a second and the options will appear, like sö. SËÉ? Ït's eaßy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best way to learn a language, September 19, 2013
This review is from: Duolingo: Learn Languages Free (App)
I originally tried this app on my mobile and it's great. Then I discovered the beauty of the Duolingo website and fell in love. Now, with the Amazon app I can use the app version or the web version of Duolingo. I can honestly say that if I had this program to learn French in high school I would have had a much easier time. I can't recommend this program highly enough to anyone that wants to learn a foreign language.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great app but permissions..., September 28, 2013
This app is really helpful! The layout is fun, and I am actually learning!:D
It's free too so what do you got to lose?
Oh right, the fact that this app has permission to access your accounts.
Seriously guys? This app is so great and you do this?
Why? Why do you have to do this to me?
*dramatic cries and falls off bed leading to head injury leading to not being able remember my process on learning Spanish and forgetting that this app has access to my accounts leading me to using this app and giving it five stars then realizing that this app has access to my accounts remembering everything and then typing this review to warn fellow consumers*
*breathing in, breathing out*