Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on February 6, 2006
I had to hunt for that ellusive song "Would I lie To You" until I found this debut album by Charles and Eddie. Though some would call them a one hit wonder, I think this debut album is outstanding. In addition to the mesmerizing hit, the song just before it "Can you believe this City?" clearly points to their roots. Openning with the two tone hypnotic vamp from "For What It's Worth" by the Buffalo Springfield, the duo immediately identify the timeperiod "It was the summer of Love...."

Cultural references are sprinkled into this seemingly autobiographical song "Scored me a copy of Marvin Gaye's 'Trouble Man'"... "Sly was on the radio singing "Que sara sara..." "There was a riot on the eastside..."

In short, this album drips the honey voices of the two logical successers of the late Marvin Gaye... In style, vocal range, and inspiration! Not to be missed.

I also like the fourth song on the album, and "Take It Easy On Me" is also mellow.

God, if you ever loved Marvin, you ought to invest the few dollars to pick this one up. You'll be glad you did!

What ever happened to Charles and Eddie? At least one more album, "Chocolate Milk".... but that is another story.
on February 4, 2006
Although Charles and Eddie seem to be relegated to the '1 Hit Wonder' status, their debut album is very good and if you enjoy 1970's riffs, wonderful singing and excellent melodies, you should buy this album. Definitely a great 'urban' album and effortlessly blends funk, soul and pop music. Still wonderful after 14 years. Their talents are missed!!
on March 19, 2006
WOW, I really, really, really love this album. Charles Pettigrew and Eddie Chacon are talented singers. Beautiful voices, great melodies and good musicians. Duophonic is a soul/pop/rock gem. One of the best albums of the 90s. In one word: AMAZING. My favourite song is "Hurt No More". Buy this CD right now! Five stars.
on May 7, 2014
I had Charles & Eddie cassette tape over a decade ago. I use to listen to it all the time in college. One day I let someone barrow it and he never returned it. I thought I've never own or hear their songs again because they weren't a very well known group. I could never find a copy of their cassette or CD again. Soon I forgot their names, but I've always remembered the first line in one of their songs, "It's 4 'o' clock in the morning and you haven't called." I type this into a lyrics website and it gave me the name of the song, group, and album. I ran straight to amazon and looked them up and there they were. I finally found them! If you love listening to mellow, jazzy, and upbeat music with great vocals and instruments, you will love Charles and Eddie's "Duophonic".
on May 17, 2013
Several reviewers have mentioned Curtis Mayfield and Marvin Gaye as influences in Charles and Eddie's sound, and all I can do is agree with that assessment. Not only do have the 70s sound down pat, but they've nailed the vibe and mood too. Truly, this is a flawless collection of 70s soul ... but recorded in 1992. The fact that this album, and their second effort "Chocolate Milk", slipped under the music radar is a total injustice. Plenty of great tunes on this CD, but it's the vocals of Charles and Eddie, particularly the way they harmonize, that really capture your ear, and can send chills down your spine. Really, this is special stuff. Sadly, Charles Pettigrew passed a way a few years back, but I think Eddie Chacon continues to sing. In any case, fans of 70s soul or recent retro singers such as Lee Fields, should check out the music of Charles and Eddie. Sincerely soulful.
on October 19, 2002
I bought this in 1992 after seeing their video on TV and my first reaction was, how can two different people have such Soulful and Voice Chemistry as these two?! Every time I play the CD I get a feeling of pure Love and Happy feelings and enjoy singing along to myself or my girlfriend, like you are instantly transported to a Beautiful place you immediately fall in love with (how can you not sing a long to such songs of Love, Fidelity, Friendship?). Not only the voice but the musicians that played on this session had a 70's Soul-Funky inspiration, some of the same Grooves you might hear in 1970'S Marvin Gaye and Barry White. Not a dud in the entire CD! This is one of those recording sessions where you could not duplicate the "Feeling" & "Vibe" that was captured, its too cohesive to replicate exactly on record but I am sure the same emotional expression can be delivered in a live setting. I have been keeping an eye out for another CD by these talented artists but seen nothing.
on December 17, 2011
This CD took me on an incredible journey of R&B sounds reminiscent of Marvin Gaye and Curtis Mayfield. It is like enjoying a fine aged wine that leaves you feeling warm and wonderful inside and wanting the feeling to last forever. Thanks to Duophonic for preserving this sound by embracing it with their very souls. If you love the Gaye/Mayfield sound you will love this CD.
on June 10, 2015
I really love that CD. It reminds me of the music I listened to as a teen. I bought it for the song "Would I Lie To You?" and have enjoyed several other songs on the CD. It's a good one to sing along with in your car traveling to and from work. LOl I'm very glad I bought it.
on November 16, 2009
Not ones to hop on the new jack swing bandwagon in 1992, Charles Pettigrew and Eddie Chacon's soft, textured backgrounds and haunting, lilting singing make for a beautiful showcase of earthy, subtle sounds that would be a better soundtrack for sitting on a rock and staring out at the water, or a quiet stroll through a park on a misty night, rather than making you want to hit the dancefloor or the bedroom, which was the primary intent of many soul/R&B albums of that time. Even the lone hit, "Would I Lie To You?" which is a mildly upbeat exception to the general formula here, is still a great song, and "Unconditional," will give you the best taste of the deep hauntingness that is the trademark of this album. Sadly, Pettigrew died in 2001 at the age of 37.
on September 5, 2009
If you aren't into this genre- then forget about it! Charles and Eddie were a pair of New York musicians that were maybe getting airplay with one song. The entire album contains some magically inspiring songs. The Caucasian half of the duo passed away years ago, and the other fellow is well- retired. They had their day, and they realy could 'Shine' together!