Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Duplex
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on January 23, 2007
Everything about this movie I love. I love both Drew Barrymore and Ben Stiller too!
They are so endearing and convincing as a newly married couple.
It starts out that this young married couple are having a hard time finding the house of thier dreams in their price range. It seems almost too good to be true when they find a duplex near the big city life in Brooklyn, it is beautiful and spacious, and the downfall is that it comes with a very, VERY old woman who rents the upstairs apartment.

Because of a clause in her rental agreement, they cannot kick her out,but being that she is old, they figure she will die soon enough, So they buy the place and move in.

Suddenly the old lady seems healthy as a horse, and is a constant nuisance to them.
She keeps them awake all night with her blaring TV, Always bothering them for favors etc.
As things continue to go from bad to worse, they decide to have a hit on her, and hire a hit man to do it...Like everything else, that goes terribly wrong, too.

This movie is full of mishaps, one after another, and soon you will be rooting for them to kill the old hag :)
There are a few twists that will surprise you in the end, but I guarantee it will keep you laughing !

Highly reccomended, and one you will want to watch over and over.
on January 27, 2005
In Danny De Vito's "Duplex," Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore play a young couple who buy a "dream apartment" in Brooklyn whose amenities include everything two upwardly mobile yuppies could possibly want: ample space, solid wood floors, three glorious fireplaces, and, above all, a quiet environment where Alex, a budding novelist, can spend his days writing in uninterrupted peace and quiet. Or so they think...for, unfortunately, the place also comes replete with what turns out to be the tenant from hell, a doddering old woman who lives on the second floor and who makes life miserable for the two of them with her continually blaring television and her constant intrusions into their daily lives. Finally driven to the breaking point, Alex and Nancy decide to take matters into their own hands in order to rid themselves of this human pest in any way they can.

"Duplex" is, essentially, a one-joke comedy and, as such, it does suffer from the occupational hazard common to all one-joke comedies of built-in repetitiousness. However, the writing has a surprisingly dark edge to it that lifts the film above the run-of-the-Hollywood-comedy-mill. I must confess to having a certain weakness for dotty old lady comedies, counting among my favorite films the original British classic "The Lady killers" from 1955. Eileen Essel is so delightful as the bete noire of the piece that it's hard not to fall under the spell of both her character and the film itself. De Vito, in a return to the black comedy form that served him so well in "The War of the Roses," keeps the comedy tough and brutal, even if it means bludgeoning the audience over the head a bit in the process. Stiller does his usual shtick as the put-upon Everyman, while Barrymore is able to use her customary cutesiness to full advantage as the sweet little ingenue driven to murder to save her own sanity.

"Duplex" is certainly not everyone's cup of tea, and I imagine that it would not win the stamp of approval from the AARP. Still, if you're in the market for something different in a mainstream comedy, "Duplex" just might fit the bill.
on July 12, 2014
This movie was truly laugh out loud funny. The darkly comic plot was very clever. The dialog and site gags were exceptionally entertaining. Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore turned in great performances and Danny Devito, who excels in this genre, did an amazing job as director. I highly recommend it!

Jennifer Leigh Wells
Author of "Rebecca: The Making of a Hollywood Classic"
on November 12, 2008
A friend at work recommended that I get this movie after telling her about the crazy old bat that lives in the condo above me. I laughed so hard at some of the scenes, learned a few tricks to use myself, and gave the old lady in the movie an A+ because she is way smarter than the old battle-ax I have to contend with everyday. This movie is a "must see" for anyone who lives below some old goat in an apartment or condo. The old lady is the optitome of the classical "neighbor from hell." I think we all can relate to this to some degree, especially those of us who live way too close to others!
on December 24, 2014
rip roaring funny! Not a fan of Ben Stiller, but i have lived in apartments my whole life and can totally relate to his frustration. Drew Barrymore is amazing, and the little old lady is just too funny for words
on December 29, 2004
Found this DVD entertaining, the elderly tenant had a way of coming off funny and had a way of antagonizing the owners in a sweet way. Very funny movie,
on March 21, 2010
I'm glad I saw this movie before I was tainted by the negative review in Leonard Maltin's movie guide. Maltin generally dismisses the film as unfunny and mean-spirited. For sure there is a degree of malevolence here but darned if it didn't keep me in stitches. Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore are the perfunctory stars but the film belongs to Eileen Essell as Mrs. Connelly, the supposedly sweet little old lady whose actions wreak havoc in the lives of her confident yuppie landlords. Essell's work here reminded me of a similar performance by the late Anne Ramsey in director Danny DeVito's dark comedy, "Throw Momma From the Train". Remove guilty from the word pleasure and laugh yourself silly.
on December 14, 2008
I watched this movie 4 years ago for Christmas, and I plan to watch it again because I liked it so much (I am not sure why so many people disliked the movie; was it because they couldn't understand the plot?). Anyway the movie is about a tenant who moves into a house and drives the couple (played by Ben Stiller who is a writer and Drew Barrymore who is a magazine editor) absolutely CRAZY and they try to come up with a plan to actually kill her. There are plenty of twists and turns in this movie that it will leave you breathless! I highly recommend that you watch it and if you have already see it go see it again. I believe it is THAT GOOD!

on March 18, 2013
I will rate this product 5 stars not only because it is an all-time favorite, but because I had no problems whatsoever. Shipping was fast and the price was right. Excellent seller, and yes I would recommend to anyone.
on May 24, 2014
This movie is Funny--Ben Stiller and Drew Barimore ara married in this movie. they Bought this duplex and Rented out the top section to a Old Lady which she had before The newly wedds bought the Duplex--Must Buy