5.0 out of 5 stars fabric
Used this product for all fabic including the carpet which was light gray in my old camaro.The interior now looks like new it took 3 x 11oz cans. Fantastic would buy this product again.
Published on April 21, 2012 by camaro

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad...
Edit to prior review, (important for best results & reinforces 3 star average rating):

After just a few days of my new interior paint job, I've noticed in areas of "higher usage" spots are beginning to fade and rub off from rubbing my leg or adjacent surfaces to the painted parts. Long story short, not cool BUT I have a fix to this, as followed:...
Published 12 months ago by Michael Bremer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and bad..., August 14, 2013
This review is from: Dupli-Color HVP106 Flat Black High Performance Vinyl and Fabric Spray - 11 oz. (Automotive)

Prior to painting the parts, after cleaned, I highly encourage using a primer that is both compatible with plastics AND a comparable color to your desired finished painted product. For example, if you are painting from light to dark, use a darker colored primer and vise versa. Why? Better coverage and more importantly, better surface adhesion to help prevent peeling and cover any harsh stains.

After painting, to protect your new paint color, I highly recommend using rustoleum brand MATTE clear coat. One light first coat and a slightly heavier top coat should do the trick. This will provide MINIMAL additional gloss without getting too much gloss like a typical clear and as previously stated, add an additional layer of protection to the surface to help aid in the prevention of "rub off". If my paint is rubbing off slightly in just a couple of days, I couldn't imagine what it would look like a year or two down the road!

Products used:
rustoleum black 2x coverage primer (bonds to plastic surfaces and black because painted the parts black) 1-2 light coats
Duplicolor flat black vinyl and fabric adhesive 1 light coat 3 top coats.
Rustoleum 2x coverage MATTE (low gloss) clear coat. 2 light uniform coats.

Allow yourself plenty of time between priming and painting and painting and clear coating to avoid chemical reactions and blending of products. I waited about a half hour between products. Might be longer if weather doesn't cooperate.

Beautiful end result once these addition steps are taken!

About me: I have my own automotive detailing business so I know a thing or two about car interiors. I own a 1994 Ford Bronco that was my "test" vehicle when it came to this product.

Vinyl/plastic: this product adheres quite well to properly prepped vinyl and plastic. Please be advised however that if you have extremely flexible rubbery vinyl surfaces that this product will NOT adhere to the surface efficiently and as it flexes it WILL crack and peel off. This doesn't effect the overall rating, just something to keep in mind. Moderately firm vinyl is a NON issue.

Fabric: ive seen positive reviews and I can NOT trust these sources. First of all, if you are thinking of spraying seats and or carpeting, stop wasting your time and money HERE. It will take way too much product to cover the surface, it will NEVER look completely thorough and this is especially true when trying your hardest to change from a darker color to a lighter color. Finally, when finished, the end result is stiff like you just sprayed hair spray all over your carpeting and cloth upholstery. Don't believe me? Buy a can and test it first on an old worn out floor mat. Sure, someone out there might feel "somewhat satisfied" with the overall outcome, but even that person deep down inside will have some regret once they are finished. Bottom line, try it first and DON'T even try going from a darker original color to a lighter color. Even going from a tan floor mat to black took me an amazing two cans which translates to about 15.00, for a single floor mat. You can buy quality replacement mats for cheaper, new ones!

My trucks tan interior has always bothered me. I hate tan unless its on some sports illustrated supermodel... Tan has no place in the world though when it comes to me and vehicles. I successfully transformed the tan interior into black interior and the black accents were successfully transformed to silver. I do not recommend the gloss for dash boards and areas of direct sunlight reflection concern. I used the flat black instead.

Your product WILL scratch easily when finished. Be sure to take extra precaution as to not excessively rough the surface up or you will be unpleasantly surprised at the outcome. With that being said, I did not use nor see the product in the duplicolor line "low luster clearcoat" but it does exist in other lines. This may be a very good choice to consider to help protect your freshly painted parts without adding excessive blinding gloss and glare from the suns reflection.

Application:

I cleaned all of my painted pieces with Meguiars all purpose cleaner, which I HIGHLY recommend to you automotive enthusiasts out there. It's cheap and effective on many surfaces including your own homes carpeting, upholstery, plastic, etc. etc etc...

Before cleaning, I REMOVED all parts to be treated. Depending on the tools you have at your location, and your general skillset/ease or difficulty of your vehicle, this may not be feasible. But it is highly encouraged 1. For your own safety and 2. To prevent overspray on undesirable areas.

If you do spray the parts in your vehicle make sure to properly mask off all surrounding surfaces and WEAR a chemical respirator. This stuff is strong and will put off nauseating fumes. Open all windows and doors as well.

Once cleaned, I took a fresh lint free towel along with a 50/50 blend of alcohol and water. This is a fast drying "solution" that ensures any oil and grease has been removed. While we are at it, wear nitrile or at least latex gloves. One thing I've learned in working within the auto body industry is your hands sweat and generate oils and grease. Your wasting your time cleaning if you are soiling the parts in the process.

Paint application: first cost must be a light misting. The part won't look covered at all at this point. I waited 10 minutes between costs at 75 degrees and low humidity. Wait longer if the temperature is colder, the air is still and or the humidity is high. I happened to have perfect painting conditions., for being outdoors that is.

Second coat and at least third coat your surfaces. The more coats the merrier but I wouldn't suggest you need more than 3 coats after your first light coat.

One nice thing is, under favorable weather conditions, this product dries quickly, even to the touch. I reinstalled all of my parts about an hour after final coat with no issues whatsoever, if you removed your parts, take care when reinstalling not to scratch the surface. This is easier said than done considering often times parts will fight you, slip, fall and mind you, you will be using tools to reinstall often times, allowing for sharp objects to damage your freshly painted surfaces.

Bottom line: hard plastic and firm vinyl, I highly recommend this product for older vehicles or vehicles that have seen much wear, I couldn't recommend taking this product to a brand spanking new car that has minimal to no flaws though.

Fabric: avoid at all costs. By the time you get done you likely won't be satisfied and you will have spent a very good fraction of the cost that you could have spent to just replace your vehicles carpeting or headliner altogether. My own personal estimation of my vehicle is that if I were to do the entire carpeting and headliner I would need about 9-10 cans only to marginally yield a somewhat subpar result. At 7.00 a pop, that's roughly 75.00. Comparably, I can replace my own carpeting and headliner with NEW material for about 225.00. Yes, 3 times the cost, but if well maintained, I could get it to last as long as my original 20 year old carpeting and be thoroughly satisfied with the end result.

Hope this helps! Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars fabric, April 21, 2012

2.0 out of 5 stars Just ok. Expensive for a big project. Not cost effective., November 27, 2013
to0pink (Newport Beach, CA) - See all my reviews
Just an ok sprayer. These cans do NOT give you nearly as much coverage as you think it would. One spray can was barely enough to cover the front/back of a chair with two coats. I went from beige to charcoal grey, but two coats was still not enough.

One important tip to improve coverage and cost. Use a spray bottle with water to get the fabric damp BEFORE you apply it. This will help the paint "bleed" more evenly into the fabric. Yes, it will take longer to dry, but helps for a more even coat. The steps I use are:

-Gentle rub down with fine grit sand paper
-Damp fabric with spray bottle
-Spray paint
-Spray more water on areas that look uneven or too heavy with the paint
-Repeat for more coats
-Gentle rub down with sand paper again to get rid of that tough texture

If you are looking to redo the inside of your car or any other piece of furniture, I recommend you spend the money to get new fabric so it's done right, or go in the opposite extreme and use a mixture of latex paint with water. Yes that's right, I just said latex paint with water. I ended up painting my fabric chairs using latex paint from your local store. 1 $30 gallon was able to cover more than 10x the sqft than the spray can. It sounds crazy, but there are lots of online guides on how to use latex paint to paint fabric. The end result is, yes, it is even more rough than spray painting fabric, but it is way way cheaper and you get the exact color you want. If you are spray painting your fabric instead of buying new, chances are, you are like me and you are looking to save money and extend life. These are my tips for doing your fabric with latex paint instead:

(of course, as always, test this in a small area to make sure you're happy with the result before diving in head first. This guide is NOT for everyone's taste.)

-Clean and sand the surface. Use some fine grit sand paper and just rub it down a couple of times.
-Get the fabric VERY damp with a spray bottle
-Mix 1 part latex paint with 1 part water. (you will need to mix it around often. interior flat works better than the glossier stuff)
-Optional: Add in 1 part textile medium (or fabric medium). This softens the texture just a little bit, but it is pricey for a big project and it doesn't make much of a difference unless your skin will be touching it.
-Brush on the watered down paint onto your fabric
-For uneven blotches, spray more water on it to make it bleed into its surroundings
-let it dry for 24 hours before applying more coats.
-When you are finally done, give it a nice thorough rub down with fine grit sand paper again. It will soften the fabric significantly when you are done.

Again, this is a low cost alternative to recoloring your fabric. I felt this spray paint for fabric was a "worst of both worlds" solution to the two extremes. Gonna do it right? Get new fabric. Gonna do it cheap? Mix latex paint with water. Gonna do it lazy and moderately priced with mediocre results? Use the spray paint.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked well for carpet, August 2, 2011
I bought some new carpet for an acura that was grey and spray painted it black. worked well. I just painted small areas at a time and rubbed it in immediately with a stiff carpet brush. This stuff dries really quick, but it was 102 degrees outside. I was a little worried spray painting $400 worth of new carpet, but it worked better than I thought it would. The carpet felt pretty much the same after I was done painting it. I also painted a couple trim parts, that didn't turn out quite as well. the paint "spatters" out of the nozzle randomly. I would recommend several VERY light coats for plastic trim. Again, it was also 102 degrees out side and it says on the can not to use it above 90 degrees, maybe that was why. Would've been 5 stars, but i wasn't impressed with the trim pieces. I'll post an update it this stuff ends up wearing off or sucking.

5.0 out of 5 stars works great when u do the prep!, August 27, 2012
I have used red,blue, many cans of black and even white. it works awesome. clean the surface with wax and grease remover. this is a must!! the worse it smells the better it works. nothing oil based like orange. then scuff surface with a scuff pad, green, red, or gray. like you would use in the kitchen, to clean pots. scuff it up real good, going over it several times. Then clean again with wax and grease remover. paint an even, very light coat. timer 3-4 minutes. paint an even medium coat wait exactly 5 minutes. paint a medium to heavy, even, wet coat. wait 15 minutes to handle. NO peeling!!!! No Camo blotches!!!! just perfect paint that lasts on plastic and soft materials. i have not tried it on fabric.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so good, June 21, 2014
I received the spray paint and we were changing our tan carpet in the truck for black and the paint is wearing off on the rug after 4-6 cans of using thus will have to come up with a plan b now

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment extreme, April 2, 2014
Patrick "snowyb" (Jasper County, Missouri USA) - See all my reviews
If the cap is held up against the carpet in my 66 Cadillac, it matches. However, the fluid that emerges from the can is much redder and does not match the cap color. It's more of a scarlet than a burgundy. After all the prep work, It has to be redone again. It seems as if no manufacturer can be trusted to deliver any more; it's especially galling when one is called" Dupli-Color" and their paint doesn't match their own cap color!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic option for an ugly vinyl chair :), December 10, 2013
Fabulous! I bought this paint in silver to use on a vinyl chair I bought at a garage sale, which was originally dark rust. Although it took almost two full cans to cover the chair, I expected that it may before beginning in order to get full coverage. The chair turned out wonderfully and I'm extremely pleased with it. As with any spray-painting project, several thin coats worked very well and there were only a couple of small runs where i got impatient... It took about a month for the chair to fully "cure" so there was no smell, and I didn't allow anyone to sit on it for that amount of time just to be sure. You would never know this chair has been spray-painted. It doesn't crunch, crack, wrinkle or split when you sit on it. I couldn't be happier. The chair definitely makes a statement now. I'm considering buying more of this paint for an upholstered chair, as the application was a fast and simple remedy for the uglies. I wish it was cheaper, but I'd drop the money again vs. new upholstery or a new piece of furniture.

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of money, March 5, 2013
paint cracked after first use was a waste of money does not cover well glad a tested it on something first

4.0 out of 5 stars dupli color hvp101 yellow, March 3, 2013
Good product does require several coats for desired finish make shure its warm outside to spray do not attempt in the cold read directions

Rate and Discover Movies