5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Quality So Far
Published on January 1, 2012 by D. Kerr

1.0 out of 5 stars Professional Production Company
I have been in business for 5 years and produced thousands of disks though both my event video and video duplication businesses. I bought 500 of these disks a few weeks ago for a duplication project and was shocked at how terrible they are.

Published 21 months ago by J. Flanagan

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Quality So Far, January 1, 2012
This review is from: 16x Duplicator Grade Inkjet Printable DVD-R - 100 Pack (Electronics)
For the past few years, I used Sony DVD's for my printable disks. Sony sell for around 25% more than these Phillips disks, but I figured the quality was such that the additional cost was worth it. (Sony is available on Amazon here: Sony 16x 4.7GB Inkjet Printable Blank DVD-R (100-Pack Spindle) This was true up to the last time I purchased Sony in 12/11. I experienced two defective disks in my last 100, where I had no defects in the previous 200. Also, and more importantly, the Sony disks had a different coating that resulted in a dark circle in the middle of my printed disk. You can see the difference in my customer image added to this product page.

My experience with the Phillips disk has been much more positive. I have had no failures yet, and the center of the disk looks like it should. (Phillips calls these disks "Metalized" and I can see the shiny coating on the disk.) I would suggest that Phillips has not yet cheapened the quality of these DVD's, where Sony has. I would heartily recommend the Phillips disks.

One downside that I should mention (in case Phillips ever reads these reviews) is that the "cake box" that holds the disks is substandard. Although adequately packed by Amazon, the package was subject to the normal shipping mishaps. The spindle on the cake box broke off, and the tabs on the cover broke also. Thus, the cake box was unusable, but the disks were still intact and stacked. Phillips, could you please make the packaging of these disks more pliable and less brittle?

UPDATE: After 100 discs, no failures. As my image on the product page shows, these DVD's offer excellent printing also.
Addl UPDATE: I am on my second 100 pack of discs as of 2/1/12. Again, NO failures. These discs are superior to the Sony discs that another review supports. DVD's and Blu-rays are sometimes sensitive to the manufacturer of the burner used. I am using a HP DVD/Blu-ray combo burner. Unless you have had problems with other DVD's and your burner is sensitive to what it takes, I think you should ignore ONE negative review and go with these Phillips DVD's. It is not like they are some no-name bargain brand, these discs are produced by the same company in Taiwan (CMC Magnetics Corp.) that produces discs for TDK, Verbatim and many other OEM brands.

UPDATE Two (12/12): I have now used over 300 Phillips disks and have not had a single failure. During the basketball season, I record every single game and distribute the result to parents on Phillips DVD's with a photo label printed with my Epson inkjet printer. These DVD's have continued to be one of my best purchase decisions, with consistent and excellent quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality media and good print surface, December 17, 2011
I love these discs! The movie quality on a burn is excellent and the ability to print the label all the way to the small hole is oustanding!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, November 9, 2011
These Inkjet Printable disks are very reliable. I have not had a failure with one yet. I like the fact that the printable surface goes all the way to the small hole in the middle.

1.0 out of 5 stars Professional Production Company, July 23, 2012

I have two different duplication systems. Each made by a different manufacturer and maintained annually. Out of the 500 disks, 300 of them failed while burning. On average, I will lose 1 disk out of every 200 due to failure. Not lose 300 out of 500.

Thinking that it might be the duplicators, I purchased a pack of verbatim disks and all 100 of them duplicated without issue.

These DVDs are terrible.

4.0 out of 5 stars Used Thousands, March 14, 2012
We have used thousands of these DVD-r's. Only had a couple of bad ones every three thousand. Good quality and works with everything for playback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phillips dvd-r hub printable, December 12, 2011
these discs wright and play just fine. print quality is great. will buy again. mainly use to burn movies.
packaging was a little scary but none of disc were scattered around,

4.0 out of 5 stars DVD inkjet printable, November 24, 2012
These disks seem to be well made, and work well with my burner and software. No problem with this product so far.
Happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars weddings abound., November 24, 2012
These are simple my default "go to discs" when I am running the studio. I have had pretty good success with these. Yes I have had a few that just didnt work either due to the disc or the computer, ( i dont really know) I do not take chances on bad discs. Gosh I dont know exactly how many of these I have purchased over the years yet it is easily pushing 1500-2000 discs. Out of all of them I have had perhaps 8-10 failures. Not bad considering the price and quality! They are simply a good workhorse. One doesnt change what works... I say. I will continue buying them for all my standard Def work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good DVD's for the price, November 16, 2012
I have bought this in the past and had a very good experience with them, never had an issues, the printable surface is very nice, the printout looks like its on photo paper, real good quality

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than the product I used to use, October 25, 2012
I use these printable DVDs to make sales videos and installation videos for the machines we manufacture, in the past I used a similar product, HP DVD-R 4.7GB 16x Inkjet-Printable 100 Spindle (DMJPW045), the HP discs were very reliable and the printable surface was good. However the reason I switched to this brand was because on the back of the printable hub there is a silver disc, as opposed to the clear disc HP uses. This may seem like no reason to switch but when you print an image on the DVD the clear hub causes the image to be much darker than the surrounding area, whereas the silver hub matches the color of the rest of the DVD and the image is consistent. I will burn anywhere from 100 to 200 of these a month and have only had 1 defective disc since switching to this brand, that is one out of maybe 500 or 600 discs. The printable image is good quality and does not scratch off easily, as with some other discs I have tried, and produces good clear results, assuming you are using a good printer.

ARRAY(0x9bf1103c)