Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Duplicity
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on December 6, 2009
The one thing I regret about this film is that I didn't get the opportunity to see it in a theater. I'm truly puzzled by the negative reviews on Amazon.

This isn't a film to watch while you're doing something else; fixing dinner, checking your emails, etc. The screenplay was brilliant and it kept me on the edge of my seat. I never lost interest, not for one moment. Clive and Julia have terrific chemistry and I loved the dialogue.

This film plays to an intelligent audience and it keeps you on your toes. I've watched so many films where the ending is predictable. There was nothing predictable about "Duplicity". It may have you feeling that you've nailed it, only to turn around and pull the rug out from under your feet.

I'm very selective about the films I actually choose to purchase. When I finished watching this last night, I knew I had to have my own copy and I want one with all of the bells and whistles, including interviews with the Director, Producer, actors, etc. I'm watching it again tonight and that's a rave for me!

I love Clive Owen and he has some really memorable lines. It's great to see Julia Roberts back in full force. She's as stunning as ever and plays this role with great finesse.

If you want an action paced thriller (ho hum), this isn't your movie. No graphic sex scenes either but lots of great sexual chemistry. I hope to see Clive & Julia team up again soon.

The entire cast is brilliant! Paul Giamatti and Tom Wilkinson fit their roles like a pair of old shoes. I don't know how anyone could find this film boring. I found it suspenseful and I was on the edge of my seat more than once. There is nothing predictable about this film. It has elements of "Sting", one of my favorite films of all time. Duplicity is absolutely one of my favorite films of '09!
I found this film very confusing. I realize it is an elaborate spy vs. spy in a corporate espionage matter. One spy is Julia Roberts and the other is Clive Owen. At first it seems like she is the one with the upper hand as she rolls him after one wild night. Then the scene shifts and he has gotten one over on her. They leap in and out of bed at various points because they are wildly attracted to one another.

It didn't work for me. If sparks were jumping between these two, if love and lust were in the air between them, I couldn't sense it. So there were two things we were supposed to care about: would Julia and Clive get together and, secondly, which of their clients would win in the spy war? More than an hour into this film, I realized I did not care about the resolution of either issue. I stopped watching it, I was that bored.

I am not a huge fan of Julia Roberts although I think she is talented. She just rarely does it for me as a romantic interest. Conversely, I LOVE Clive Owen and it is very rare for me to be bored with him. I also really liked CLOSER which also featured Owen and Roberts. They didn't need wild attraction to one another in that film though.

Much to my surprise, the NEW YORK TIMES absolutely loved this movie. Its review found this movie a stunning pairing of Roberts and Owen plus the spy scenario vastly entertaining. Its review says, "It's a caper movie, a love story -- with Clive Owen and Julia Roberts, no less -- an extra-dry corporate satire. However you describe it, 'Duplicity' is superior entertainment, the most elegantly pleasurable movie of its kind to come around in a very long time." I was shocked to read this. I read the whole review and it's as if we were seeing two different movies! So go over and read that review if you are still interested in this film.

Visit my blog with link given on my profile page here or use this phonetically given URL (livingasseniors dot blogspot dot com). Friday's entry will always be weekend entertainment recs from my 5 star Amazon reviews in film, tv, books and music. These are very heavy on buried treasures and hidden gems. My blogspot is published on Monday, Wednesday & Friday.
33 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2010
This film - to judge both by the reviews here and by the hubbub over A O Scott's very positive Times review - clearly polarises viewers. I thought it fantastic, with far deeper and more controlled performances by both leads than I've seen previously, together with a solid supporting cast, great locations and a seriously clever script, but for others, evidently, its lack of slickness, predictability and cardboard cutout indications of who's bad, who's good, who's with (or not with) whom has clearly struck a nerve.

It's a good, complicated, and pretty cleverly structured film with stylish but credible performances to match. If you can cope with the notion of a spy thriller that doesn't have a car chase or an explosion and/or a romantic film that doesn't end in a big white wedding - which is, evidently, too much to ask of many reviewers here and elsewhere - grab with both hands.
on January 1, 2010
Duplicity is the latest movie written and directed by Tony Gilroy (I loved Michael Clayton). I will tell you only the barest of details because if ever there is a movie you should nothing about it is this one: Julia Roberts and Clive Owen are spies. This film is a sexy, suspenseful, funny and smart spy caper. I loved it throughout, and I loved it even more when it finished. Go watch it now.
on February 25, 2016
Bottom line.. British intelligence is higher than Americans. . The entertainment and screenplays are so far apart in what excites and keeps a person motivated.. American is raunchy visual cues, nothing to give much of a thought too.. I even suspect billions of braincells have committed suicide regarding the last 3 decades here in the US while sitting in front of the tv or theatrical screen.. don't bother to watch it if paying attention fatigues you.. I love British movies and actors because... well.. they act for one thing.. and they use intellect to stimulate the viewer, not so much in the way of gore, loud explosives and foul language as the draw.. I guess this is why you hear the back round music and noise over the actors voices in america.. because no one really cares about story line, just who gets punched in Tha face..
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2014
What makes this movie interesting is the idea that how today's business is run secretly. No body seems to be safe and obviously in this movie a lot has to be explained. Clive Owens and Julia Roberts make the movie much more interesting and at points thrilling. Since I like cyber crime, I loved it.
on May 15, 2016
Very good movie. Lots of twists and turns but actually rather straight forward in the end. Plays like a mystery/espionage thriller but is actually a romantic comedy. One of the better and more sophisticated romantic comedies. Loved it. Owen and Roberts have definite chemistry.
on April 29, 2016
This movie made my head hurt.This couple is leading multiple lives, part spies, part lovers, part theft ring. The entire movie I was bored out of my mind, then the ending just really sealed the deal. Hard pass, not even the actors involved could have saved the story line.
on August 22, 2009
Clive Owen and Julia Roberts absolutely crackle and sizzle from their characters' first chemistry-charged meeting at a party in Dubai to the final scene of the movie. Their border-traversing love affair is the most compelling part of the movie, but the clever and twisty corporate espionage plot will keep you on your toes. Paul Giamatti is always an asset to any movie, and Duplicity is no exception, although you may find yourself loving to hate his rodent-like character. But again, watching Clive and Julia drift through airports, pop open bottles of champagne, and savor each other's company is the film's hook.

Julia has one of the foxiest and flirtiest wardrobes I've seen on the silver screen in a long time (especially the floral plunging neckline frock in the opening scene and her demure sundress in Rome). I could have melted towards the end of the movie when Clive's character tells Julia's, "I think about you all the time. I think about you even when you're with me." Sigh. Such a simple but profound sentiment to express to a lover.

I watched this movie twice in the theatres, and I'm not much of a movie-goer. I'm very picky about my cinema and hate to waste two hours watching absurd and inane mainstream tripe. This film was a deep cut above the rest, tasty escapism for the discerning 30+ film lover.
on March 17, 2010
I'm surprised at the dichotomy of views on this movie. I saw it in the theater, but I found it thoroughly engaging and appealing. I especially loved Clive Owen--Julia Roberts is not the strongest actress, in my opinion--but I thought they had good chemistry and that it was a great cat-and-mouse thriller with lots of twists and turns. It's a great escape!