5.0 out of 5 stars Mansion in Miniature!
Published on February 22, 2009 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a mansion in Minutes
Published on December 15, 2008 by M. M. Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Mansion in Miniature!, February 22, 2009
This review is from: DuraCraft Dollhouse Kit San Franciscan (Toy)
The box says "Mansions in Miniature", not mansion in minutes. Nothing on the box indicates this is a project that can be put together in an afternoon, or even a week or two. Look at the list of recommended tools that you should assemble before even beginning! It is designed to be an heirloom or collectible, and anyone who thinks a child could move a 25 lb. house around is kidding themselves. This is not a toy! It is for the serious miniaturist. I certainly wouldn't be letting my 6-year old play with something this delicate and difficult to assemble.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter's dollhouse, January 26, 2010
This review is from: DuraCraft Dollhouse Kit San Franciscan (Toy)
We have bought this San Franciscan Dollhouse from OrangeOnions - was delivered fast and in intact box. However, upon opening we found a few wood trim details cracked (kit was made about 10 years ago, so no surprises). But since there were enough trim supplied, with help of glue and careful planning we have managed to complete the house with mostly intact pieces of trim. All decorative details and trim pieces made from different quality of wood, but you will have enough pieces to choose from. My leftovers from kit consist of about 10 trim pieces, several steps and decorative details - enough to repair outside decorations in case kids will accidently brake it.
It took me and my husband about 10 days to put construction together (just a couple of hours per day with painting of each detail with primer and main color for most of that time), and another month for all the trim, windows, doors and inside decorations (again only evenings). It was fun project for whole family and will be a fun playtime for my kids - see photos.
I would suggest to use epoxy glue for walls and main roof to ensure stability of the construction if you plan this dollhouse for kids. I've also found that booklet suggestion to paint it after whole construction is done might be difficult, so we painted it detail by detail while constructing.
Overall the house is sturdy with thick walls and floors, so kids can play with it. I am sure that outside decorations will eventually fall off during playtime, but again, there is plenty of spare pieces to fulfill for missing parts. We put our dollhouse on swivel base (two pieces of wood and swivel base in between), so it is on turntable for easy access. I've also covered dollhouse outside with clear lacquer to prolong it's life.
Hopefully it will survive my kids' childhood and will be passed to generations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love, love, love this dollhouse, January 31, 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: DuraCraft Dollhouse Kit San Franciscan (Toy)
I adore this house! I got it when I was 7 (20 years ago) & it made it through unscathed. Clearly, the construction is intense but thats to be expected due to the size of this house. I kept mine on a small table on a swivel. Several years ago it passed on to a family friend's child who was 6). I plan on buying this for my own daughter.

In response to the reviewer saying the tower (turret) isn't a room, I used mine for the bathroom. The roof section wasn't glued down so I could remove it for use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional model kit, not a toy, fun to build!, November 18, 2013
This review is from: DuraCraft Dollhouse Kit San Franciscan (Toy)
This is a professional hobby kit not really suited to beginners. I have built seven Duracraft kits and even the small ones take many days. I built this one (San Franciscan) and it took me nearly six weeks at about 4-5 hours a day, having added things like wallpaper, Wainscoating and professional hardwood floors plus shellacking (the strips are included).

Even the walls take hours to complete, as you have to glue them together in sections, and then let them dry on a flat surface before installing.
You need several tools not included with the kit, including hacksaw blades, a workbench, a place outside or in the garage to paint the walls, several pencils, a tape measure, a mitre box for 45-degree cuts, a screwdriver, hammer, glue (for the bricks), popsicle sticks (to stir the glue and brick mix), all kinds of spray paint, protective coating spray--pretty much a miniature construction setup. After all, these are miniature houses 1:12 scale, sometimes 1:18.

Like I said, this is a professional craft project, not a toy that you "play with" per se. Even the furniture can costs hundreds or thousands $$. I usually wired my houses with chandaliers, wall lamps, porch lights--the works. Everything except plumbing.

Plus you have to know what to do when you lose a part or a short a part, or if a part breaks. You have to have a good craft and construction sense to do these kits, and also to appreciate how well they are made. They last for decades if they are built right, just like real houses.

I may post some pictures I took during construction and finished projects. I used to sell them for $400 to $650 each. Basically, about $1.00 an hour labor. I did it for the fun of it, and the owners are still enjoying them today, some 20 years later.

Hope this helps to understand what you are dealing with.

5.0 out of 5 stars VICTORIAN BEAUTY, October 27, 2009
SCOOBY (FLORIDA,USA) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: DuraCraft Dollhouse Kit San Franciscan (Toy)
MY FRIEND HAS THIS HOUSE AND SHE PUT IT TOGETHER WITH SOME HELP FROM ME AND OTHER FRIENDS, AS A PROJECT. WE HAD LOTS OF FUN WITH IT AND NOW HER 6 YEAR OLD GRANDDAUGHTER PLAYS WITH IT,BUT CAREFULLY, IT IS A WORK OF ART. IF YOU WANT YOUR LITTLE TYKE TO HAVE A DOLL HOUSE TO BEAT AROUND GET FISHER PRICE, BUT FOR QUALITY AND LASTING VALUE, I LOVE THIS HOUSE

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the time - will last for years, July 31, 2011
book lover (Mission Viejo, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DuraCraft Dollhouse Kit San Franciscan (Toy)
My mother-in-law put together this doll house for my daughter when she was six. It is beautiful, sturdy and well-constructed. It has lasted through 4 years of my daughter and her friends playing with it. It is large and heavy, you will need a permanent spot for it. The only thing that has had to be re-glued is one piece of trim and most of the plastic brick. I think I would leave off the brick and paint it solid.

5.0 out of 5 stars This isnt a toy, January 5, 2011
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: DuraCraft Dollhouse Kit San Franciscan (Toy)
This is my first time with dollhouse making. Its fun The pieces are well made. There is a lot of detail work that needs to be done.I bought a mini table saw and a mini cut-off saw to make it easier. The only problem I have is now that I started with one made from 3/8 mdf I wont be satisfied with the plywood ones!

5.0 out of 5 stars Duracraft doll house kit, September 24, 2010
This review is from: DuraCraft Dollhouse Kit San Franciscan (Toy)
Is very easy to asembel, and can be done in a week for a chils use. However it is also very inportand to buy a miner box for trim cutting. Other then that glue and masking tape are all that is needed. Im 44 and have NO wood working skills, yet had a great time assembling this hous. I bought it as a new hobby project. One can construct and decorate a little or alot depending on your desires. I recoument this for childern as well as adults, it sturdy and heavy at about 50 lb.

4.0 out of 5 stars ... haven't put it together yet----But the house itself got good reviews on other sites, August 8, 2014
This review is from: DuraCraft Dollhouse Kit San Franciscan (Toy)
Can't say much as I haven't put it together yet----But the house itself got good reviews on other sites, and the price was good.As this one is no longer MADE---I was THRILLED that my BF got it for me!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a mansion in Minutes, December 15, 2008
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: DuraCraft Dollhouse Kit San Franciscan (Toy)
I'm sure when assembled this dollhouse could be every little girls dream. It appears to be beautiful but there are a few really important things it does not tell us. For starters the box says Mansion in minutes No way this would take many hobbiest a year to put together. If you want a chalenge project it'd be great if you want something to work on for a week or 2 then suprise and delight your 6 year old daughter look elsewhere. I had to sell mine unassembled because none of my friends could get past the instruction manual. One of whom used to build real houses.
As I said as a long term hobbie it could be a dream come true. As a dollhouse to play with well I may never know.

Ps the tower is merely to be decorative it wasn't a room. It does not mention that fact in it's specifics.

DuraCraft Dollhouse Kit San Franciscan