Published on January 13, 2012 by Hyoun Kim

3.0 out of 5 stars Old Batteries
The batteries seem to work well enough but the "use until date" was one month before I even recieved them. That means these batteries are over 7 years old!!!
Published on November 11, 2011 by Saint of Sin

3.0 out of 5 stars Old Batteries, November 11, 2011
This review is from: Duracell Coppertop AAA Alkaline Batteries, 20 Count (Health and Beauty)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Batteries, Fresh w/ Recent Production Date But BUY FROM AMAZON - Reasons Below, January 13, 2012
Amazon.com is the #1 retailer in the world for a reason... Awesome customer satisfaction, excellent business plan, great products, amazing prices, etc... As we all know, Amazon has expanded their business to allow 3rd parties to sell their products on Amazon's website for some time now. With this expansion, they allow 3rd party businesses to either 1) use Amazon as a storefront but the seller keeps/ships their own stock or 2) they use Amazon as a storefront AND Amazon holds the business' product in an AMAZON warehouse.

As a consumer, you have to be cautious when businesses that want to sell on Amazon opt to use option #1 simply because of the fact that how they obtain their product can vary. This especially matters when you deal with products that have expiration dates. Ever been to a flea market? For those of you that have, many of you know that various merchants at flea markets can obtain their stock through closeouts, business closings, clearance, etc. And much of that stock, especially when dealing with consumables, have expiration dates that are either upcoming or already expired. In the case of batteries, we all know they have expiration dates and it's a glaring concern that when you buy things like batteries, you have to be concerned about how fresh they are and if they aren't, how much longer they will last. There are many reviews on Amazon of people complaining about "bad batteries" but because multiple sellers (including Amazon) can sell the same battery... which means all the reviews are all clumped under the same product. So that "bad" review that you read probably came from someone who bought a "bad" product from a "bad" vendor.

Being an Amazon Prime member, I always try & find a product that is eligible for Prime shipping. Sometimes Prime items don't always have the best price, but it guarantees you a fast shipping date and a fulfillment by Amazon that we Amazon customers all love. But a smart consumer will also follow the rule that without sufficient evidence, if a price is too good to be true, then it likely is.

In the case of these batteries Duracell AAA Alkaline Batteries, 20 Count, I ended up paying $5 more than the cheapest advertised price because I chose to buy from Amazon and not a 3rd party seller. Reasons being peace of mind (no flea market stock), excellent returns policy, and the opportunity to take advantage of Prime shipping.

Most Duracell retail battery packaging now states that it's "Guaranteed Fresh" for 7 years. Some Duracell packaging even has a production stamp of when it was manufactured. If it's not, a good way to calculate of when the battery was made was take the year date that's on the battery itself and subtract 7 years. That's what year your battery was made. Obviously the closer the date is to the year expiration date on the battery, the less "fresh" it is. But in my case, these batteries have a timestamp of 2018... which means it was made in 2011. Testing a couple of these puppies in my battery tester at home shows that they have a nice full charge meaning I can be assured that these are good in whatever device I put them in.

1.0 out of 5 stars These appear to be knock-offs, August 6, 2012
Update: After reading multiple amazon reviews of dead,expired, or exploding batteries from these vendors, it seems these are knock-off Duracell batteries. One of the one-star reviewers contacted the manufacturer of Duracell batteries (P&G), and real Duracells do not have Chinese characters or an "EU" marking. Some of the reviewers are saying these were made in the USA, but the ones I got say "made in China." Buyer Beware! Read the one-star reviews before you purchase.

Original Review: I would have more confidence in these batteries if they came in the original packaging. Instead they're in a plastic container labeled with a homemade printed label. The plastic package is not sealed, and it broke open during shipment, meaning all the batteries were loose in the shipment bag. Are they good batteries? I'm not sure, and unfortunately they're going into new devices, so I'm not sure if the battery life I'm getting is normal or not. FYI, the vendor who sent me the batteries was "Best Deal Supply" through Amazon/Amazon Prime.

1.0 out of 5 stars The great exploding batteries..., December 21, 2011
I bought these despite seeing some negative reviews because of the great price... I wish I had listened! I put 4 of these batteries in my TV remote a few weeks ago and was very annoyed to see the "remote battery low" message still on the TV. The remote still worked, though, so I left them in. Tonight as I was flipping through channels I heard and felt a "pop", and opened up my remote to find battery fluid everywhere... one of the batteries had actually exploded open while my the remote was in my hand! Even worse, I was holding my baby daughter!! SO NOT SAFE!! Duracell will be getting a call from me in the morning. DO NOT BUY - there is something wrong with these batteries!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Item not as pictured... beware of seller, May 14, 2012
Batteries came in ziploc baggies, not the original Duracell packaging as shown. Some batteries tested weak, some good, none strong. Buyer beware!

1.0 out of 5 stars The package seal was opened!! :(, December 22, 2011
Just received my shipment (Duracell AAA Alkaline Batteries, 20 Count). When I opened the shipment (the outer brown box was packed fine), I noticed that the manufacturer's package (that is supped to be sealed) was opened from one corner. The slit is big enough for someone to take-out/replace the batteries. I never had issues with Amazon before, this one leaves a bad taste in my mouth. very disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Batteries are old - Beware!, November 14, 2012
These batteries were delivered in a USPS envelope. The plastic container was opened (compromised). Batteries were loose everywhere in the envelope. It was not an original Duracel factory sealed container. Looked like more a make shift container that someone threw old batteries in that were either out of date or nearly out of date. Infact, two of the batteries didn't work at all.

I did contact the merchant about these issues. They blamed it on hurricane Sandy. However, even that being the case - how can hurricane Sandy magically transplant old dated batteries out of the factory sealed container into a generic make shift one? Hmmm?

1 star.

I guess you get what you pay for. This was no deal - Never again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Batteries out of date, October 16, 2012
The batteries have an expiration date of 2008. They were four years out of date by the time I received them. They are not fully charged out of the pack due to their age and some are leaking acid. Not a deal.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaks are becoming more common., July 30, 2012
There was a time when I thought Duracell batteries were among the best. That is no longer the case. I just pulled another AAA dated Mar 2015 that was leaking, out of a devise. The battery case had ruptured. I have seen a number of these ruptured cases over the many years we purchased Duracell (we still have a few left for use only in inexpensive devises) I'm not sure when the problem started and I noticed some time ago that Proctor and Gamble now owns Duracell. We have not patronized Proctor and Gamble for over twenty five years so Duracell is no longer our battery for two reasons.

If you are looking for a good AAA, AA, C, or D battery, may I suggest Kirkland or Panasonic. I do not know who manufactures either.

A note on Energizer and possibly other batteries. About twelve years ago I started noticing that when Energizer batteries failed, for instance, in sets of four, that in a majority of cases, only one battery was actually bad. The others were usually within a few tenths of a volt of new (1.5-1.6 volts). I started mentally keeping track of these failures and I believe I was seeing about one in fifteen to twenty that were failing prematurely. I wish I'd had the time to do a statistically valid experiment, I did not. What a marketing scheme that would be if some number of batteries were produced with less quality control than others or........ . Most people replace four (or all) batteries when (they) go bad, not checking them as I do. I believe the picture becomes clear. If you find what I did, add a comment here.

Check all the batteries when replacing them. It's possible to save a significant amount of personal resources in today's battery powered less than thinking throw-away societies.

Buy tools, etc., that plug in or better yet, are manual. Save the insane cost of some plastic bandwagon gym.

1.0 out of 5 stars Expired Product, June 22, 2012
As a positive I received the batteries in a timely manner but that's about the only positive I could come up with. The batteries I purchased were packaged as if I had bought narcotics. All in little plastic bags or unmarked boxes. I'm not sure where these batteries came from but everything about it seemed so odd. Upon closer inspection I realized that every battery I had purchased had expired. Some nearly 10 years ago! I would never buy from this seller again. Also, don't be fooled by the low price, the shipping charges are outrageous given they were shipped via US Postal Service.

Avoid like the plague!