Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

on October 8, 2008
Since Duracell recently bought out Dorcy they have released 3 versions of their Daylite flashlight. I purchased the 2 AA model because it was slimmer than the 3 AAA model. Both the AAA and the AA models are rated at 80 lumens and I believe that to be true. They advertise a 2 CR 123 model on their website that is supposed to produce twice as many lumens, but I have yet to find it for sale anywhere. Overall the flashlight produces a decent amount of light and seems to have a decent battery life. I would have given this light 5 stars if it wasn't for its plastic lens. I did not even get it out of the package before I put a scratch in the lens. The scratch does not seem to have any affect on the light output, but it is very annoying for a perfectionist like myself. Compared to the new Energizer 3 watt Tactical this flashlight is by far the best choice.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 9, 2008
I'm a N.Y.S. building inspecter and live with a flashlight in my hand, so I'm always looking for that perfect one.... I saw the Duracell Daylite advertized in Popular Science Mag., and thought I'd give it a try...and I wasn't disapointed. I own several 3Watt high intenity LED lights and the Daylite holds it's own with all of them, and the price is right. The light is VERY bright, and knowing it's made by Duracell I know it's dependable. Some of my fellow inspectors carry the old fashion Maglite, "C" battery type.....then they feel stupid when my little Daylite out shines their 5lb. Maglite.... haha
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Recently my neighborhood suffered a 4-day power outage - not fun. But at least it gave me an opportunity to fully utilize my collection of flashlights, including this Duracell Daylite LED Flashlight, and the Maglite Mini LED Flashlight. Here is my comparison between those two:

[Exterior]
Although both flashlights are powered by 2 AA cells, the Duracell is slightly longer and significantly fatter than the Maglite. This makes the Duracell less convenient to carry in my pants pocket. On the other hand, fatter body makes the Duracell easier to hold or to stand on the table.

[ON/OFF Switch]
The Duracell has a push-button switch at the end cap. It is very easy to engage with just one hand. The Maglite mini requires two hands to operate, because you have to twisting its reflector head to turn on/off.

[Adjustable Beam]
Both flashlights advertise adjustable beam from 'spot' to 'flood'. In reality, neither offer a very wide 'flood'. The main difference is that in 'spot' mode, Maglite has a tighter focus, giving it a brighter spot and longer throw. On the other hand, the beam from Duracell appears evenly diffused and less harsh.

(See the beam shot photo I uploaded to 'Customer Images' section for comparison)

[Power Consumption]
Both flashlights advertise '3W LED'. But actual power depends on the battery voltage:
- When using two fresh alkaline cells (3V), the Maglight consumes about 1.6W while the Duracell consumes 2.7W from batteries.
- When using two rechargeable NiMH cells (2.5V), their power consumptions drop to 1W and 1.5W, respectively.

See the "Input Power vs. Battery Voltage" chart I uploaded to 'Customer Images' section. It is worth noting that the Duracell can operate down to much lower battery voltage than the Maglite can.

[Extra Features]
This is where the Maglite really shines. It has different functions selectable by the twist-on/off switch. Namely:
- Full Power mode
- 25% power mode
- Blinking
- S.O.S mode

The last two modes are not that useful except in case of emergency. But the low-power mode is great for indoor use, especially during a blackout when you must extend the battery life.

The Maglite mini can even operate in 'candle mode' by removing its reflector head. Again, this is useful during a blackout for area illumination. The reflector of the Duracell cannot be removed.

[Conclusion]
Both the Duracell Daylite and Maglite mini LED flashlights are quality products. You can't go wrong with either one. But if I can only pick one, I have to choose the Maglite mini for its versatility.
review image review image review image
on March 3, 2009
This flashlight ranks right up there with a Maglite, or any Police tactical flashlight. It is useful as a weapon by just shining it in someones eyes-enough to distract a person, to get the upper hand.

It comes in 3 sizes, it fits in Maglite flashlight holders, and truly beams a circle of pure white bright light. It would also be good for joggers, campers, as it is lightweightand is 5" inches long, also easy to store in a glove compartment, for any car emergency also!!!!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The AA Daylite LED by Duracell is a good quality flashlight that is sure to satisfy most people. It is a good alternative to the two or three AA Maglites, as both are rated at 3 watts and both have the capability of emitting either a spotlight beam or a floodlight beam. However, the Daylite is easier to adjust, and it has a more "perfect" beam without the annoying dark rings.

Here's the good and the bad

PROs:

* 3 watt LED is very bright and offers a good beam which is useful for a variety of tasks such as walking at night, searching dark areas around the house, camping, and good to have for power outages.

* Runs on 2 AA batteries, making it slimmer than the AAA version. This also makes it a tiny bit longer too, but that is a matter of personal preference.

* Half of the body has a knurled grip, which enhances your grasp on this flashlight. The knurled grip on this light is very good, as compared to the grip in the Mini Maglite, which merely adds texture to the body without actually ensuring that the light won't slip out of your hands.

* Claims to be 80 lumens bright. I tried it against another 80 lumen rated light, and the Daylite seems a bit dimmer, but it still offers very bright light.

* The head turns easily and it allows you to select how wide or how tight you want the beam.

* Has a lanyard hole in the tailcap for those who like putting lanyards on their lights.

*Batteries are included.

CONs:

* The tailcap can be a major problem for those with large hands/fingers. The tailcap has the on/off switch, which is a tiny circle about 1/2 an inch in diameter. It is hard to click on it with your thumb, you might have to use your index finger. They should have used a larger tailcap switch. However, having a tailcap switch is an improvement for those who dislike the fact that Maglites do not have a tailcap switch.

* The Daylite does not have a momentary on option. You either click it on or you click it off. So this light is definitely not for tactical use or signaling.

* Although rated at 80 lumens, the light seems dimmer than other 80 lumen lights I compared it to.

* The light is lacking a good "throw." The light travels somewhat far, but for a 3 watt, 80 lumen light, it could be better.

* There are ugly rings around the light beam that are more noticeable in spotlight mode than in floodlight mode. This is not a big deal, but they do make the beam look distorted.

Overall this is a good flashlight, but don't expect it to be much greater than a AA Maglite LED. Both are rated at 3 watts, and both run on AA batteries, but they have several striking differences. So if you absolutely love Maglites, then you won't be too pleased with the tailcap on this light. And if you expect some top-quality light beam out of this Daylite because it is rated at 80 lumens, then you will be disappointed. The whole "True Beam Optics" seems nothing more than advertisement because there's nothing exceptional about the beam.

However, I do recommend it for anyone who needs a good, compact light around the house. It's good for most common household tasks and outdoor activities, but nothing tactical.
on April 17, 2010
Duracell Daylite LED Flashlight with AA Batteries

Excellent LED flashlights for walks and general home use. We have a number of conventional and LED flashlights, this one is always my preferred one due to its combination of size and brightness.

I've been buying LED products for many years and this was the first truly excellent flashlight that I found (bought it when it first came out).

If there is enough ambient light, you can put it in a pocket and keep walking, if there is something you want to see beyond the immediate area, you can pull it out and get a reasonable view.

I prefer battery run appliances that use AA, AAA, C or D batteries and try to avoid those which use specialized sizes which are much more costly and generally aren't purchased in bulk.
on December 29, 2008
I gave my husband this for Christmas. He thought it was so neat. He shined it on his hand, and it nearly blinded me. It's definitely the brightest flashlight we have and I like the white light much better than the yellow from other lights.
on April 7, 2009
just received my daylite aa battery flashlite. compared it to my maglite dd flashlite,no comparison.the little flashlite put out more than the dd.very impressed with it.
on January 17, 2009
Very powerful LED. Would like a little more range between spot and flood, should have included landyard.

It is the best AA flashlight I have ever had.
on December 30, 2008
In my job I use a flashlight all the time... this is almost as bright as my streamlight and costs 10th the price. A fantastic value...