on November 2, 2013
Like the other two reviews (at the time of this posting) I got mine at Costco for $25. $12.50 a piece is pretty amazing for these lights.
The main reason I got them is I am always trying to find focusable high lumen flashlights. There are a ton of very bright led flashlights but almost all of them are fixed focus which is great if you just want a spot light for viewing something in the distance but not if you want to light up an area, such as when you are walking or working on something. MAG started making some but there focus is not smooth, it has a black spot in the middle like their old lights used to. Only LED Lenser and Coast (used to be the same guys) really make focusable, high lumen LED flashlights. I own a types of LED Lenser flashlights (250 lumen and 600 lumen) and are very happy with them except that they were ~$200 each when new (the 600 lumen is still that much). They are fancier than this of course, with recharable lithium ion batteries, and smaller, but I could buy almost 20 of these lights for the price that I paid for the M7RX 600 lumen LED Lenser.
The focus on this is almost as smooth as the LED Lenser throughout the range with the only hiccup being the beam where it extends a little past where it should, going past the tightest beam, and grinds a little. Not fully sure how I feel with the spot beam showing the square shape of the LED, even the lines between the light panels on the chip, but it doesn't bother me and doesn't cause issues with the target.
The only nitpicks I have is with the slight over extension on the spot focus and how it's 'hold for on' takes over a second to come on and it doesn't have any programmability (for example to remove the strobe so you don't have to cycle past it every time to turn it off). I give it 4 stars for a flashlight given the issues, with 5 meaning 'perfect' to me, but if I were to grade it in consideration of its price relative to what others that are better cost, it would be a 5+.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 1, 2013
I, as it seems everyone else did, got mine in a two pack at Costco. When I checked both of them after the initial purchase everything worked fine. Both flashlights hit low, high and strobe.

I went back 20 mins later to check them again (and use them to check something) and I found one of the flashlights now works in low beam only. I try to switch it to high beam and it gets brighter for a second before shutting off. So now it's a one mode flashlight.

While not the end of the world it's a bit odd how a specific set of modes are not longer available.

My recommendation, as annoying as this might be, is to test it right after purchase. You've got the batteries right there, so why not?

Regardless, the low beam itself is better than most flashlights I've owned, so I'm not going to make the trip to return it. I will buy two more on my next trip and check them before I bring them home.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 6, 2013
The light is machined from aluminum, is 8.5 inches long, has a tail push button switch, and takes three C cells that last longer than the AA cells some lights use.

It is a good choice for a car or home but it is too heavy for backpacking. The brightest setting is very bright. It brightly lights objects that are 100 feet away. It is many times brighter than a conventional six-volt lantern battery flashlight.

Unlike other inexpensive led flashlights that claim hundreds of lumens, but are pathetically dim, this light is very bright. It wouldn't surprise me if it really does put out 500 lumens. I gave it four stars because an O-ring, part of the telescoping mechanism, broke and fell in front of the reflector. Fortunately this does not seem to materially lower the brightness of the light. One can accidentally turn on the light by bumping the switch. A stiffer switch that is more recessed would be more secure. For the price, this is the best ultra-bright LED light that I have used, and I have tried at least a dozen.
on December 1, 2013
The focus control is nice, and got them for a good price at Costco.

Both ends of the flashlight are flat, so it will stand on either end. One end has five flat edges so it won't roll away either. There is no wrist strap (or any hole for one to be added).

The large push button on the end normally cycles between low/high/strobe/off, but the button is not "de-bounced" so sometimes it skips a position when pressed. With fingers wrapped around the grip, operating the push button on the end is a two-handed operation.

When focused tightly, the shape of the beam is basically rectangular, which is the shape of the CREE LED chip. When zoomed out, the flashlight projects a large circle of even brightness with no "spot" in the middle, excellent for illuminating a large area.

However, this model flashlight seems to lack a voltage regulator and brightness is therefore VERY dependent on battery voltage.

For example, at the high setting, the brightness decreases quickly (simply turn on the other flashlight to compare). After about 1 minute (using the original Duracell alkaline C cells), the brightness is about half the level it was at when first powered on. The brightness steadily decreases after that.

I also tried 1900maH Sanyo Eneloop NiMH AA batteries (with AA to C spacers), and the brightness decreased much more rapidly (as expected). The AA batteries lasted only 1 hour on "high", but after only about 10 minutes the brightness had dropped below the original "low" output level. I know that C batteries are about 3X more capacity but I don't like having to stock yet another size of rechargeable batteries so I was hoping that I could use NiMH AA's (besides the fact that NiMH cells have lower output voltage which will result in lower brightness from this flashlight, I also read that some rechargeable C batteries are really just AA's with some padding so I need to be careful to find some rechargeable C's with highest mAh capacity).

C batteries fit loosely in the flashlight tube, and rattle around when the flashlight is moved. C batteries are easily swapped out, since they're not in a separate plastic "battery holder" inside the tube. I would suggest putting some plumber's grease on the aluminum threads, since you may be replacing the batteries frequently.

If you don't need longer operating times and want to make your own AA-to-C battery adapter that's the right size for 3 cells, try a 5-7/8" length piece of 1/2" Schedule-40 PVC with a strip of fuzzy velcro taped around each end -- then the AA batteries dump out of the tube easily just like the C cells.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 20, 2014
Both flashlights dies prematurely. Same problem as others have noted, the light will not cycle to high intensity or strobe mode. Good amount of light while they worked. Returned for refund.
on November 9, 2013
You can get these flashlights at Costco for $25. I put one of the two to the test this week on a camping trip. Extremely bright, solid, and affordable. Yes, the batteries rattle a little (if you shake it), but the flashlight feels and performs great in the hand. A little rattle noise is acceptable for the price and overall quality, IMO.
on February 20, 2015
Good emergency lights for your vehicle, small enough to store easily, bright enough to provide light at need. The two pack kept the price down, while the quality construction of the product insures a long life.
on April 15, 2014
After seeing these work at a friend’s house I thought they might be useful in the line of business I'm in but, they proved to be just a burden to carry instead. I work for a demolition contractor and on many an occasion I find myself wandering around in old building with limited light. While these do light up very well, my little Chinese Cree that cost me around $3.00 with shipping and uses ONE AA battery is about 1/4 the size and about 1/5th the weight and works about as well as this more expensive and much heavier beast.

I guess it was just the thought that 500 verses about 100 lumens would make that much difference and it really didn't. Plus the added bulk made it a pain to carry around. My Chinese Cree is a simple on and off while this has three settings - high, medium and strobe. For me, keeping it simple is the best. I have relegated this cumbersome unit to the glove box of my car while my Cree is stuffed in my pants pocket where I can hardly feel it until it's needed.

Only you can know what your needs are but simple, small and light works well for me.
on February 7, 2014
This is probably one of the best flashlights i've ever own; very reliable, durable, and extremely bright; definitely recommend this light to those who work at night.
on March 20, 2015
very nice specs and this Duracell 500 Lumens better than
1- Duracell 1000 Lumen
2- Nitcore SRT7 & SRT5
Pros:
1- Longer life on high mode (7 hours others are less than 3 hours & Nitecore are the worst)
2- Can Focus (Nitecore cant which is suck)
3- easy simple to use (compare to Nitecore)
4- Price way much better and good quality as others
5- Big which fit in hand better
6- can be operate by one hand (switch by your thumb) Nitecore 2 handed cuz of the ring switch
Cons:
1- not rechargeable (i dont like Rechargeable because i always lose them)
2- dose not have lot of modes as Nitecore (Beam, Police lights, etc)
3- Not waterproof (but its rainproof)
4- Heavy for backpack (in car would be No Problem)
review image