5.0 out of 5 stars a lifesaver
For those of us with canes, this is an inexpensive way to get good traction in ice and snow. It attaches to an ordinary cane so that the metal prongs can be flipped up and down as needed.
Published on November 1, 2007 by Judith Guttman

1.0 out of 5 stars dangerous on snow
Published on November 28, 2011 by climber

5.0 out of 5 stars a lifesaver, November 1, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, February 12, 2007
D. Long (, MO United States) - See all my reviews
I have problems walking in snow and ice. This product has saved me more times that I can count. It is good in ice, but also works on grass when it is slippery. If you use a single prong cane this is a must have!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 5-Prong Ice Grip Cane attachment, March 17, 2009
OH, MY GOSH!!! This tiny little "ice pick" has saved me several times this winter from taking a spill. It screws onto your cane quickly. Folds down when you need it and when you are inside, push the two buttons on the side and the prongs flip up out the way. Someone like me with MS just doesn't need to fall anymore than necessary.
People all over ask me where I got "that fine device" from and I tell them AMAZON!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A must-have for crutches+ice, September 29, 2011
LCB (Somerville, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duro-Med 5 Prong Ice Grip Cane/Crutch Attachment (Health and Beauty)
I broke my foot last winter and spent ages on crutches in the frozen tundra that is Boston. Since I'm a student, I kept going to class as much as possible, which includes a pretty major commute. One day, on the bus, an elderly gentleman held up his cane and said menacingly "you gotta get you some of *these!!*" After my initial shock, I realized that he had ice picks on his cane. Oh sweet joy of joys. I ordered them that day. Of course, the tundra started melting the next week, but those seven days were excellent, increasing my speed and decreasing my falls. Plus, I could use them to threaten friends and assailants alike. Seriously, before I had these, this girl pushed me into a snowbank to get past me. Had I already had these babies, her face would've been mincemeat, though I would've probably been arrested).

The only reason they get 4 stars instead of 5 is durability. The frame bent fairly quickly, and the spikes started to bend quickly thereafter. I was able to bend the frame back into working order, but had I been purchasing these for a more permanent solution rather than an injury (cane vs crutches), I'd have been very upset. As it was, I got my $20 worth (each order is only one, so if you need a pair, order two).

I did like that the frame folded up to a non-use position, prolonging the life, but it was during this that the frame caught on something and bent. One note of caution: be sure to keep the spikes on the outside of the crutches/cane for the non-use position. It's slightly harder to engage, but less crappy than tearing your one good ankle up with spikes that you aren't using.

1.0 out of 5 stars dangerous on snow, November 28, 2011
These are more dangerous on snow than the rubber tip of your crutches. The 5 prongs capture the snow, which balls up, creating a snow on snow interface with the ground. I'm writing from Jackson Hole Wyoming, and I've been using forearm crutches for 10 months now. I'm more familiar with crutching on snow and ice than I ever want to be. DO NOT USE THESE. Try "Retractable Ice and Snow Spike Tip for Canes and Crutches - Medium by The Wright Stuff"Retractable Ice and Snow Spike Tip for Canes and Crutches - Medium instead. These work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Safety Aid - Highly Recommneded!, January 14, 2010
The Ice Grip Attachment is a great safety aid for cane users. We live in the North-East and get more than our fair share of snow and ice and, unfortunately, we also occasionally need to use canes to get around. With this handy device attached to our canes, we feel a lot safer when walking on ice covered surfaces. We have bought 4 of these for ourselves and our elderly parents and are very pleased with them. Here are my observations:

Pros -
+ Easy to Install - The bracket has been easy to attach to every cane we have tried
+ Easy to Use - The prongs can be deployed and locked into place with minimal effort

Cons -
- Exposed Prongs - When not deployed for walking, the prongs point up and can get snagged on pant legs

Misc -
* Bulky - A bit of an eyesore on nicer canes

Overall, I am very pleased with these Ice Grips and even find myself using a cane with one of these attached for extra stability in snow and ice when my joints don't hurt.

Highly Recommended!

CFH

2.0 out of 5 stars Crutch tip review, March 25, 2008
Craig D. Warner (Weston, Oh United States) - See all my reviews
This product does work but I experienced it snapping out of place and almost causing me to fall on more than one occasssion.

5.0 out of 5 stars These crampons for crutches are excellent!, January 30, 2011
Broke my tibia and fibula and live in NH...this has been a very snowy & icy winter, I was very nervous about the walk from parking garage to office in downtown Manchester....these crampons for my crutches saved my life and gave me extra confidence for getting around! Very liberating and SAFE!!!!! If you are on crutches, in the winter in a snow/ice area, this is a MUST HAVE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, December 11, 2010
R. Schnell (Cleveland, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This ice grip is just great. It is sturdy, secure and easy to use. I can even operate it with one hand while holding the cane with the other. I recommend it highly to aid in walking on ice, snow and even grass in the summer. Some of my other friends have this also and they feel much safer with it on their cane.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Safety Aid For Canes, Highly Recommneded, January 14, 2010
The Ice Tip Attachment is a great safety aid for cane users. We live in the North-East and get more than our fair share of snow and ice and, unfortunately, we also occasionally need to use canes to get around. With this handy device attached to our canes, we feel a lot safer when walking on ice covered surfaces. We have bought 4 of these for ourselves and our elderly parents and are very pleased with them. Here are my observations:

Pros -