Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: DMI 5 Prong Ice Grip Attachment for Canes or Crutches
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 29, 2011
I broke my foot last winter and spent ages on crutches in the frozen tundra that is Boston. Since I'm a student, I kept going to class as much as possible, which includes a pretty major commute. One day, on the bus, an elderly gentleman held up his cane and said menacingly "you gotta get you some of *these!!*" After my initial shock, I realized that he had ice picks on his cane. Oh sweet joy of joys. I ordered them that day. Of course, the tundra started melting the next week, but those seven days were excellent, increasing my speed and decreasing my falls. Plus, I could use them to threaten friends and assailants alike. Seriously, before I had these, this girl pushed me into a snowbank to get past me. Had I already had these babies, her face would've been mincemeat, though I would've probably been arrested).

The only reason they get 4 stars instead of 5 is durability. The frame bent fairly quickly, and the spikes started to bend quickly thereafter. I was able to bend the frame back into working order, but had I been purchasing these for a more permanent solution rather than an injury (cane vs crutches), I'd have been very upset. As it was, I got my $20 worth (each order is only one, so if you need a pair, order two).

I did like that the frame folded up to a non-use position, prolonging the life, but it was during this that the frame caught on something and bent. One note of caution: be sure to keep the spikes on the outside of the crutches/cane for the non-use position. It's slightly harder to engage, but less crappy than tearing your one good ankle up with spikes that you aren't using.
on November 1, 2007
For those of us with canes, this is an inexpensive way to get good traction in ice and snow. It attaches to an ordinary cane so that the metal prongs can be flipped up and down as needed.
on February 12, 2007
I have problems walking in snow and ice. This product has saved me more times that I can count. It is good in ice, but also works on grass when it is slippery. If you use a single prong cane this is a must have!!!
on March 17, 2009
OH, MY GOSH!!! This tiny little "ice pick" has saved me several times this winter from taking a spill. It screws onto your cane quickly. Folds down when you need it and when you are inside, push the two buttons on the side and the prongs flip up out the way. Someone like me with MS just doesn't need to fall anymore than necessary.
People all over ask me where I got "that fine device" from and I tell them AMAZON!!!!
on May 19, 2015
A must have for using canes in winter. I use forearm canes and having these on my canes has allowed me to go out in the winter and prevented me from slipping on ice many times. Although it is recommended that they be attached so the clips swing down to the outsides of the canes, the second year my husband suggested trying them so that the clips would swing down on the back of the canes which I found worked better for me. The work wonderfully on ice but you must be sure to flip the ice grips back up when going into a building such as a store as the clips have nothing to grip into and that will likely cause you to slip and fall. I highly recommend these!
The Ice Grip Attachment is a great safety aid for cane users. We live in the North-East and get more than our fair share of snow and ice and, unfortunately, we also occasionally need to use canes to get around. With this handy device attached to our canes, we feel a lot safer when walking on ice covered surfaces. We have bought 4 of these for ourselves and our elderly parents and are very pleased with them. Here are my observations:

Pros -
+ Easy to Install - The bracket has been easy to attach to every cane we have tried
+ Easy to Use - The prongs can be deployed and locked into place with minimal effort

Cons -
- Exposed Prongs - When not deployed for walking, the prongs point up and can get snagged on pant legs

Misc -
* Bulky - A bit of an eyesore on nicer canes

Overall, I am very pleased with these Ice Grips and even find myself using a cane with one of these attached for extra stability in snow and ice when my joints don't hurt.

Highly Recommended!

CFH
on May 1, 2016
After my total knee replacement this little gadget saved me from slipping and falling on the ice and snow this winter. Also provided me with the confidence to go out, without it I would've been to anxious to leave my home. Easy to install.

I would highly recommend this seller. The product was of high quality and just as described. My package came fast, and undamaged. The product was well protected and arrived in perfect condition. I am very satisfied, great transaction.

**** If this review has been helpful, please click YES. If I've left anything out, please feel free to ask questions. I rely heavily on reviews, photos and experiences when I make my decision to buy a product online, and I would like to know if my reviews are meeting your needs in making a purchasing decision. I would also like to know if I need to add anything. Your feedback will help me to continue to provide helpful reviews. Thank you for reading!

Criteria for products I review with Amazon’s Rating Criteria in Parentheses :
• 1 star (I hate it!): Feel it's a waste of money. Will never use it again. Would never recommend. Not safe to use. Either throw away or return it.
• 2 star (I don’t like it): Don't like it and wouldn't use it again, but may still have at least 1 positive thing about it.
• 3 star (It’s ok): Product has both positives and negatives, and I may or may not continue using it. Someone else may like it more and is potentially still worth purchasing.
• 4 star (I like it): Item as described in functionality, purpose and quality. May have 1 or 2 things I don't care for or would change, but not big issues. Would recommend it if asked.
• 5 star (I love it!): Practically perfect. Nothing is lacking in functionality or quality. Love it and would not only recommend, but would purchase for others and continue to purchase for myself.
on January 21, 2015
Living in a bitterly cold Great Lakes region and using a cane can be tricky, but this attachment is doing a good job of keeping me on my feet, in icy driveways, sidewalks, exterior stairs, slushy crosswalks and similar hazards. The IceGrip was easy to attach with 2 screws and easy to use. The feature that I most appreciate is that the ice grip is adjustable if there are changes in the walking surface - ice, no ice, clear sidewalks, light snow or heavily packed plowed snow. The spring adjustment allows the user to flip the ice-grip "out-of-service" position aligned parallel with the cane or back in position with ice-grip firmly seated against to the base of the cane.
on February 27, 2014
This Ice Grip attachment clamps to the lower end of a cane or crutch. It can flip up or down if needed for icy conditions. It should be mounted so that when the sharp prongs are down, they rest against the crutch or cane tip for support.
The screws for the clamp are OK and are supplied in two lengths for use with crutches (long screws) or canes (short screws). Either a flat or Phillips screwdriver will work. Tighten them evenly. They should be quite tight, but not so much that the clamp damages the cane or the screwdriver slots are damaged.
The Ice Grip adds a little weight to the end of the cane, so the balance changes. Be aware of that when first using. In the folded up position, the Ice Grip sticks out from the side of the cane and could catch on things. Position the Ice Grip so that it seems safe to you. The prongs are sharp!
When using on icy surfaces, be careful, especially at first. I use ice grippers on my shoes as well. This all takes some getting used to.
on October 22, 2015
'Twas winter, and I encountered a wiry, deeply tanned woman with long white hair at the bus stop. She held a long, twisted wooden walking stick, worn smooth from years of handling, with a curious device attached to the end of it. I was feeling quite outclassed with my plain metal cane from the Rite Aid, but I ventured to begin a conversation. Of course I began our conversation with "What is that curious device on the end of your walking stick?"

Turns out it keeps you from slipping on the ice ... Sounded like a good idea to me, being a pedestrian in Maine in January in one of the worst winters in living memory ...

She couldn't remember where she got it, but I went "Aha! Amazon!" Lo and behold, the very thing ... a few days later, I too was the proud owner of the curious device.

You flip it up when you come in the house so you don't tear up the floors and carpeting. You leave it on all season and take it off in the spring, just like studded snow tires.

Little known Maine factoid: it's a state law that you have to wear socks in bed between November and March.