Published on October 10, 2010 by Kenneth J Pauley

2.0 out of 5 stars Looked a lot better than it performed
Published 17 months ago by Grizzhunter59

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice generator - will update more after it's hooked up to the house, October 10, 2010
Kenneth J Pauley (Georgetown, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DuroMax XP10000E-CA 10,000 Watt 16 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start (CARB Compliant) (Lawn & Patio)
Was looking for a generator to help me power some circuits at the house since I work from home. I have a few circuits, including my office computer/network equipment, full size fridge and some misc., house circuits. This is probably more than needed for that, but I also have an electric water heater that runs on 220 @ 4500 watts. I will be replacing it soon with a hybrid electric water heater which should draw much less power on normal operation.

In any case, so far I have unpacked the generator and run it to make sure it works before the electrician comes and hooks up the transfer switch stuff. Assembly was minimal, just add the wheel and support kits, plus the handles. I think added the oil and fuel. The oil fill is under so you'll need a long necked funnel and I would suggest a nice big syringe with a hose in case you overfill.

When I first ran the unit it would not hold it's low idle speed, it would shut down pretty quickly. I decided to run it at the full speed for about 15 minutes to let it get acclimated and now it seems to run just fine.

I was able to buy the reliance power plug and box that my electrician recommended from Amazon as well (Reliance LL550C and PB50), the transfer switch I needed was not available on Amazon. I also ordered the cover, which fits nice. I'd call it more of a dust cover, was thinking it was going to be all weather but it will last for a while.

I struggled initially to find the right way to order this on Amazon. Everywhere I had seen this generator said it was California CARB compliant and I found the $999 version of this generator on Amazon and it was letting me order it, so it seemed like the right thing. However, when it came to shipping that one it said NO! I thought I would have to order outside of Amazon which I was trying to avoid, but the price was a lot higher. I then stumbled across this version, it's a little bit more than the other but the reason is because it is OK to ship to CA. It has tags all over it saying it's CARB inspected. The description on the $999 one is not clear enough I think to state it is not the CARB version and they should point you to this other one more easily.

UPDATE: All wired to the transfer box that I ordered and everything is functioning as planned. One note that I learned, we are powering the transfer panel through the big, main 50A plug on the generator. When you are plugged into this plug, it overrides the low idle circuit, so it will always run and the full speed. This is by design I suppose to make sure you don't miss a surge in power I guess.

I have ordered a hour meter that I am going to plug into the DC connection so I can track the hours of usage over time. I will add my own pictures to this product so you can see the setup.

2.0 out of 5 stars Looked a lot better than it performed, November 4, 2012
Purchased the DuroMax XP10000E after last years Halloween snowstorm and tried it out with minimal load 200w and it ran fine. Hurricane Sandy hit and we lost power, fired up fine and was carrying the load, approximately 3500w for about 8 hours the first day, 16 hours the second day, then on day 3 after running for about 15 hours the engine blew a piston/valve right through the top of the engine. Engine had fresh oil, was not overloaded or carrying unbalanced load, and fuel was fresh yet did not last more than forty hours run time. I have contacted MaxTools / DuroMax through their 24/7 sales line because customer service emails were being returned as undeliverable, they said that a representitive would call me back on Monday 11/5/12. There seems to be a common problem with engines blowing (with little to no run time) by the comments posted here, if that is the case MaxTools should replace these units free of charge. I will follow up with my experience with customer service

5.0 out of 5 stars DuroMax Got Us Through Sandy!, November 1, 2012
I purchased my DuroMax XP10000E Last year after we were hit first by Irene & then Lee. I used it once during a power outage in July 2012, but only needed it to run for about 4-5 hours. Well Monday we were hit by Sandy & once again lost power. Once the storm was over & it was safe to go outside, we started her up. I have a Generlink hook-up to my electrical box outside installed by my electric provider, so only needed to run the special cable from the generator to the electrical box where my meter is & use my circuit breakers to control what is being used. I ran the DuroMax for approximately 48 hours, only stopping to refill when needed. I was able to run everything I needed including my hot air heating system, well pump & hot water heater, just not all the "heavy duty" items at one time. I had a fully functional home the entire time power was out! I love the DuroMax and after trying it out, I bought my daughter one for Christmas last year also. The important thing is to read the manual & follow ALL safety precautions both with the generator & your electric panel so that you stay safe & no power from the generator goes into power lines which is extremely dangerous to utility workers. With proper use & maintainence, I expect my DuroMax to last many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars DuroMax 10k generator, November 13, 2012
I bought my DuroMax 10k generator last year after Hurricane Irene. I use the 50 amp connector to an outside box and wired it into my panel. I use full synthetic oil and stabilize the fuel, using only premium gas. I run the unit once a month for 1/2 hour. When Sandy hit, I lost power the first night and was without for 8 days. I started the generator about 20 minutes after the power went down. I ran the generator for 16 hours straight every day for 8 days with no issues. I did shut it down at night, not out of necessity, but to conserve fuel during low demand time as the gas stations were not pumping fuel. I changed the oil once during the week, again using full synthetic oil. Total run time was 120 hours and it performed flawlesly. I recommend this unit as long as you use synthetic oil and premium gas that has been stabilized. Also-don't short change yourself with one 5 gallon gas can. Prepare for a full week outage with enough fuel to keep the unit running. Good luck.

2.0 out of 5 stars power max 10,000, December 4, 2011
We purchased a 10,000 watt power max approx. 3 years ago. first winter it ran great and powered eveything i needed when we lost power. Midway thru the second season, it started to act up and we discovered it was only giving us 1\2 power, only powering up on one phase it seemmed like. last winter it would only give us the same results of 1\2 a leg of power. My son and i brought his rigid 10,000 over and we hooked into my house with power cord from his gen. and everything was powered up in the house like it should be. so, on 12-02-2011 i put the power max in for service to trouble shoot it. I'm now waiting to hear from the repair shop as to what the problem is. Some people say it might be the stator, i don't know.
I assume my warrenty has run out, but with only approx 35-40 hours on this unit,it shouldn't be acting up. i keep it covered all the time. Maybe powermax would consider splitting the repair costs with me??

4.0 out of 5 stars like it, November 18, 2012
Bought it last year after Irene. sandy hit this year, ran it for 5 days straight, never missed a beat! So far I love it. Converted it to propane today, looks like a winner for the money! Have also seen bad reviews about this unit, but if you look around you will also see just has many bad reviews about name brand units also, costing twice the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product - However fuel consumption / noise?, November 7, 2012
I bought this item after the storms of 2011.
It has served me well in NJ for 2012.
Fuel consumption is not great, circa 0.8 gallon per hour and its not quiet compared to more expensive, say Honda, products.
On the other hand it runs everything I need and accepts unbalanced loads when (somebody) turns on a high draw device.
Transfer switch installation is planned for this weekend.
Note: After gas supply problems in NJ, I'm planning a natural gas conversion, who wants to buy some gas containers :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, November 2, 2012
After last year's Halloween snowstorm, I resolved to make my house ready for the next time. I received the generator and it looked great and ran fine when I tested it. I ran it for a few minutes every month to make sure it was there when I needed it. Guess what? After 5 hours using it after hurricane Sandy took away my home power, it quit on me. Blew an intake valve. Useless piece of iron right now when I need it most.

To add insult to injury, my friend had purchased the exact same unit and I set it up to replace mine. 4 hours later, it quit on me. Tried numerous times to restart it and it quits and doesn't stay on. Not sure what's wrong with it, but in any event, Duro Max is batting 0 for 2 when I needed it most.

I'm writing off this as a lesson learned and buying a Honda.

5.0 out of 5 stars best generator buy for the home, March 6, 2014
Jerre L. Smith (Lakeside, CA, US) - See all my reviews
After putting the assessories on the generator and putting in oil and gas I fired It up. After running 1 hour, I transferred the house Load to the generator. It ran flawlessly. A great generator at a good price. And great delivery service.

3.0 out of 5 stars DuroMax XP10000-CA 10,000 Watt Generator, February 13, 2014
Ed Cary "Ed Cary" (Mechanicsville, Virginia) - See all my reviews
Beware. This generator has a metal gas tank. Tried to start it after sitting in my garage for several month. Found the gas tank and the top to the gas tank had rusted. Rust fowled the carburetor. Had to have the tank and the carburetor replaced by a local small engines repair shop to the tune of $200.00. Has run well since.

ARRAY(0xd9c81bac)