5.0 out of 5 stars Consumer Review XP8500E
I finally decided to 'pull the trigger' and get a generator. Living in Connecticut, having the power go out 5 times over the last two years and having no power for more than two days is no fun. When looking for a generator I researched a lot of them but wanted certain features. I found them all in the XP8500. Here we go:

Shipping:
This item shipped for...
Published on September 10, 2011 by BOGY.

1.0 out of 5 stars Powermax XP8500E/ Maxtools
Published on September 8, 2009 by Jeff425

5.0 out of 5 stars Consumer Review XP8500E, September 10, 2011
BOGY. (Milford, CT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DuroMax XP8500E 8,500 Watt 16 HP OHV 4-Cycle Gas Powered Portable Generator With Wheel Kit And Electric Start (Lawn & Patio)

Shipping:
This item shipped for FREE and thankfully - it weighs in at over 200 lbs. 225 to be exact. The item shipped via FedEx which was another blessing. FedEx freight called and delivered on time with the package in perfect condition. It took about a week to arrive after I placed my order. Perfect. MaxTool was great - communication was solid and they were very helpful with answering my shipping questions.

Here is what I was looking for in a generator:
Volt meter
Gas gauge
at least 8000W
electric start with pull start back up
4 120v outlets
a unit with a muffler
auto idle
Carb compliant engine at least 15HP

Assembly:
As I stated above this thing is heavy. Once the wheel kit is assembled it carts around nicely although the handles are short - I'll get into that later. So, here is what I did which made things easier if you don't have help. First, cut the box with a box cutter knife on the corners so the flaps fold down. Now, get three 2x4's each about three feet long and stack them. This will give you enough clearance to get both the feet attached as well as the wheels. Start with the end which will have the feet. Lift this end up and slide the stacked 2x4's underneath. attach the feet, two nuts each. Now, you have the footing on one side you can use the 2x4's on the other end where the wheels go. Same thing on this end with a twist. Attach the axle - two nuts and bolts each side. Now, lift the side up just a bit so you can slide the wheels on. Once they are slid on you can secure them with a pin. Remove the 2x4's and move on to the handles which were easy to attach. Now fill the case with oil. The unit doesn't come with oil. It takes SAE 10W30. The battery came fully charged. Connect the battery terminals, fill with fresh gas and you are ready to go! The whole process took about a half hour.

Operation/Starting:
The generator started up instantly. Pull the cord or turn the key and BAM! Push the choke in half way then all the way open) and it idles nicely. This generator is quiet! I have a half acre and in the front of the house you could not hear the generator running in the back yard. So I decided to start testing with my pool. Yes, I ran a cord to my pool filter and it went from idle to full throttle. Powered the pool filter no problem. For me this will power three essential things during an outage: Refrigerator, chest freezer and tankless hot water heater. I hooked them all up and this thing ran with ease. Cranking at full throttle it wasn't as loud as I thought it would be - my lawn mower is just as loud.

Storage:
I picked up a cover here on Amazon for $10. It does the trick and will keep dust off the unit until I need it. Everything on this generator is easy to get too, see and adjust. Even without the manual at hand there are stickers everywhere that show you what each item is and what information you should know about that item. For example, the gas shut off valve has a sticker above it with the label and diagram of which position is on or off. Each component has a sticker above it. So, for storage you can drain the gas easily by using a 10MM wrench to loosen the gas filter cup and remove. Take a plastic soda bottle with the top cut off and you can catch the dripping gas. Of course do this after running engine dry. As for gas, every time I fill up my 5 gallon tank I always put at least two ounces of Stabil in it. You should too! Disconnect the positive battery terminal before covering. Put a board down for the wheels - concrete can do bad things to wheels if they sit long.

Unhappy Notes:
Oil:
The unit didn't come with oil. It wasn't a problem as I went to the local car parts store and picked up two Quarts of SAE 10W30 Synthetic motor oil. The generator takes 37 Ounces or 1.1 Liters. A quart has 32 ounces in it so you will need two quarts. Start it up with one quart filled, let the oil move into the engine, shut it down then top off. However, filling with my long nose funnel was a breeze - very easy to get at.
Wheels:
The instructions say to make sure the fill valve is facing out when attaching wheels. Well, this unit came with air filled tires but there is NO valve! This concerns me because if I need to fill air into the wheel, well, how will I do it? Tires loose air with pressure. I just wish they were solid through out - no air - and I hope they stay inflated.
Handles:
Putting the handles on was easy however they are short. I stand 5'8" and when carting the unit you have to walk slow. Anyone taller than me would have an awkward angle when walking so close to the generator. The handles are only 10 inches long so you are very close to the generator when you walk. Also, the muffler faces you when you walk so you have to be careful when grabbing the right handle as it is right in front of the muffler. HOT

Wrap-up:

PROS:
Quick start either by pulling cord or turning electric start key
7000W running power with 8500W surg
7 Gallon gas tank with gas gauge
Volt meter
Muffler on engine
Four 120V AC outlets
Easy to read info stickers placed throughout the machine
Breaker switch
Low Oil auto shut off
Auto idle switch
QUIET - 72 dBA
Four Rubber motor mounts
16HP OHV engine
Engine parts/components are all at easy reach

CONS:
Wheels - no inflation valve - flats/Air loss = new tire??
Handles - short in length
Doesn't come with oil - need to purchase 2 Qts of SAE 10W30

UPDATE: 10/31/2011
Well, in CT we had our first storm of the season and of course the power went out. I was ready this time - broke out the generator connected the battery terminals and it started with one turn of the key. It powered everything in the house that I needed it too.

UPDATE: 12/07/12 (SANDY)
Power went out for days - this generator held up no problem. Gas gauge is working - didn't realize how much gas this thing holds! About 8 gallons. I ran mu fridge, chest freezer, hot water, lamp, microwave, TV and phone - all and the generator didn't even stutter. In the back yard you can't even hear it in the front yard. SO glad I made this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Needed a Good Generator - Fast, January 5, 2011
Michael Pochop (McCook, Nebraska, US) - See all my reviews
I ordered the 10000 watt 16hp generator exactly nine days before Christmas, actually needing it two days before Christmas, and hoping for a miracle. I needed the unit to power a Clark 3DS floor machine which requires 8kw steady to operate. I was scheduled to refinish a school gym floor and couldn't get ahold of a rental piece of equipment.

Speaking to the sales rep - he told me I would probably not see the unit before Christmas - I hesitated and then ordered the unit anyway. The unit was sent from California to Nebraska and was delivered in 3 working days without a rush on shipping. I was ecstatic.

I unpacked the unit and found it simple to get ready to operate. I attached 200 foot of heavy guage 30 amp cord to the generator, hooked up my 3DS and fired up the generator. After about three minutes to allow for warm up, I activated the 3DS. The generator immediately picked up to full throttle, supplying ample power to my floor machine. So the initial test went okay.

Two days later at six o'clock in the morning, at a temperature of 10 degrees F, I cranked up the machine and got ready to start on the gym floor. After a five minute warm-up; I started and ran my 3DS for almost five hours straight. I had absolutely no problems with this unit and it didn't even use a half a tank of gas at full throttle for a good four hours.

Very happy about the solid wheels - no possibility for flats. Very happy about the electric start, individual breakers, idle control, and ease of operation. The noise was about what I expected for a 16hp motor, but was quieter than a lot of Briggs motors of less hp. Overall, a well built, solid unit. I would recommend it.

Update as of January 2012. I used the above generator to refinish 8 gym floors last year. I average about 6-7 hours of running time, with about 4 to 5 hours of full throttle running time. I've had no "quirks" or bad experiences with the unit. I changed the oil after the first 10 hours of operation (old habit from working with small engines) to allow for break-in. Still running great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper Twin, January 17, 2007
A Pohick (near Crystal City) - See all my reviews
The 8500 has identical spec's to the PowerMax XP8500E, but buying this one saves a C-note.

As a test the elderly recipient of this generator feebly pulled the cord to start the motor. At first it looked pointless as the effort failed to build up any momentum. The motor turned about one and a half strokes, but incredibly, the motor fired up on the second tug. The electric start worked fine, but if the battery happens to lose too much charge, starting the motor by hand proves easy enough. It's also possible to jump start it just like a car.

Delivery requires coördinating with a shipping company that only hands over the product to a warm body. For the customer accustomed to finding items dropped off at the stoop, that sucks. It also conflicts with having the item sent to a site other than home. The driver had no qualms, though, about loading the generator onto the back of a pick-up which was nice. Still, instead of waiting for a delivery which I had to transfer to another location,I could have just as easily bought a generator at the hardware store. Amazon used to conveniently leave items for me where ever I needed them delivered (Kansas, Michigan, Virginia). Now, I have to take time off from work to meet a trucker and complete the delivery myself. Gifts don't arrive as a welcome surprise anymore because the recipients have to go through the same rigamarole.

It has ample 120 volt receptacles to plug portable GFCI's into for running heavy duty extension cords through the house. This'll provide some immediate comfort while the electrician installs a transfer switch, a 30 amp inlet and sub-panel. He or she will also piece together a 10-4 SO extension cord to connect between the generator's 220 volt outlet and the sub-panel's inlet.

Don't scrimp on the budget for the set up with the transfer switch. It makes plugging in a generator convenient and safe. You can hook up the generator yourself any time you want to later.

--tick-tock--October 2008, it still runs. It has only a few hours running time, though. A generator mechanic pointed out that these cheap products have short lives without regular attention, so change that oil! $700 genny, good deal, would buy from same again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Powermax XP8500E/ Maxtools, September 8, 2009
Stay away from this particular brand of generator. I purchased the Powermax 8500E generator in April/09 from [...] against my better judgement. The nice looks and good price just suckered me right in. Put it together, added a gallon of gas and it ran fine for the short period I tested it. Well we had a power outtage which required me to fill the tank up. I was finally gonna get a chance to use this brand new generator, that still had the tags on it. After 1 hr. of running I noticed fuel seeping thru the side of the fuel tank and couldn't believe it. No worry though, Maxtools will stand behind it, or so I thought. Called [...] and spoke with a very UN-Helpful customer service represenitive who told me he would send me a new tank for $25.00 bucks for the shipping. What a joke! Way to stand behind your product. Anyway, those who have left positive reviews for these generators have not had them for any length of time. [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good design and components, December 30, 2008
Rocco Froio (Worcester, Mass) - See all my reviews
I am pleased with my new generator, just as I read in another review. Add oil, gas turn the key and rooommm.
I found a car jack very useful in assembling the wheels and legs.
The gas cap has a tight fit a more robust grip would have made it better.
I was dissapointed in that it does not have a low idle switch used to conserve fuel, the salesman told me it did still I like it.
Ciao

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless and never used!, December 23, 2008
I bought this generator a while ago and it ran fine the first time we test fired it. We then drained it of fuel as they directed. Later when we knew we had a storm on it's way we tried to use it for the second time and gas started leaking like crazy out of the fuel valve. Tried to get POWERMAX customer service to help and they informed me my warrenty was up two days before I called, but they could sell me the part.($$$) Really nice way to back up your product POWERMAX! For the amount of money I spent on this crummy generator and the 1/2 a use I got out of it, topped off by snotty, customer sevice I think I'll buy a Honda next time. Even POWERMAX customer service told me Honda generators last so long you can will them to your kids!! If you are wondering do not work for Honda in fact I'm a photographer. POWERMAX you should be ashamed of yourselves and you poor workmanship!! Update: We bought a small honda, it's easy to haul around and has worked well for several short power outages. The size is nice because I'm puny! However because it's small I wouldn't want to rely on it long term but it does the job and the maintenance has been easy. We live on the beach in a 120 mile possible wind zone, so we loose power at leat two or three times a winter. Luckily we have a great PUD that almost always gets it up within a day. It was not lucky for us the one time we needed the powermax to work that we had no power for three days! I was pretty bitter when I wrote the review but still I feel like it is fair now that I'm calm. Thank God for wonderful neighbors who will look out for you when you need it! I gave the powermax to a mechanic friend who fixed it and has used it, so ok for the handy people if your ok with having to fix it.

5.0 out of 5 stars First time generator buyer is IMPRESSED, October 7, 2008
I bought my XP8500E generator from MAXTOOLS on ebay. I also had to have a warm body at the house to direct the driver to unload, but he did have a lift gate ($50.00 extra charge, no problem). I unwrapped the unit, oiled and gassed it up and hit the key ONCE and it started right up. Hey, its probably made in China, but the fit and finish and overall quality was excellent. I connected it to my water pump and fridge and it barely slowed down. Its easy to move with the wheel kit,too. I looked at generators of this rating that cost a LOT more, then bought this one for $799.00 plus the $50.00 for the lift gate. Shipping was INCLUDED in the price! No problems, no hassles. No more losing all my food in the fridge when the power goes out for 24 hours!
MAXTOOL charges $999.00 for this on their website...$799.00 on ebay!

[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars works great, tires are crap, July 16, 2012
wallymann (Metro-Detroit, MI, US) - See all my reviews
had ours almost 4 years now, the generator works great!

i will say that the included wheel-kit and starter-battery are crap.

the tires rot and crack after a couple years -- i have no idea why they have pneumatic tires to begin with! i bought a set of solid rubber wheels at home depot, so they will NEVER wear out or get flat. as a bonus, they're 1" larger diameter so it rolls easier too!

the starter-battery died after a couple years, needed to start it and there was nothing...not so much as a click. neither of these things were enjoyable to discover when we lost our power in the middle of a rain-storm...in the middle of the night! i had to jump-start our generator to get it going, then harvested a replacement from my motorcycle.

back to the generator unit itself, it works as advertised...is reliable and generates power. would i buy it again? yes, in a heart-beat!

1.0 out of 5 stars Repair parts almost impossible to find, November 6, 2012
I've owned this gen for about 3 years and finally, it died from the ethanol/gas problem. The magneto crapped out at the same time, making troubleshooting difficult, as the owner's manual is VERY basic. The electrical schematic does show the components however, it doesn't show where they are located. The gen also has a lot of "Hidden" fuses in the electrical outlet box and poorly construsted fuse holders. You have to remove the fuel tank to get at them.
I called several small motor repair shops in NJ and NONE of them would work on the engine because they can't get parts easily.
If this thing craps out; you're basically own your own.
You don't even have the option of cleaning and rebuilding the carb because you can't get "O" Rings and replacement gaskets locally.
I found a parts supplier in the U.K. (Generator Guru)and ordered a new carb for $118.00 and a new magneto for about $70.00. Very expensive and basically; NOT returnable. Duromax and Powermax are the same thing. The same carb is on the 800-10000 units. If you need to replace the magneto; the correct gap between the mag and the flywheel/magnet assembly is the width of a business card. After you install it, turn the entire flywheel by hand and make sure it doesn't contact the magneto. You might have to readjust it to any high spots on the flywheel. The gen works OK for now but, this is a "High Maintenence" Item.
Use only fresh fuel and don't allow fuel to remain in the tanks for more than a month or so. The ethanol in the fuel will surely clog the carb and fuel filter.
Also: check out "REAL-FUEL" at Lowes or Home Depot. Fuel stabilizers such as "Staybil" should also be used if you want the fuel to last longer.
It's a decent generator when it's running. What makes it a 1 star item is the fact you can't get it serviced unless you can do it yourself.
Of course, after I paid over $130.00 for the carb and shipping from U.K. I was able to find several new ones on EBAY in the $40.00 range so, I ordered a spare.
The correct name and manufacture of the carb is: Jingke Huayi Carburetor with Solenoid for 13HP 14HP 15HP 16HP 188F 190F Engines. I recently added a Propane/Natural Gas/Regular Gas arrangement to this generator and it gives more options on fuel. Check out these types of hook-ups on YouTube. These add on kits are very easy to install if you have some mechanical ability and common sense.

3.0 out of 5 stars Idle control doesn't work, no customer support, January 6, 2012
As usual, you get what you pay for and this generator is middle of the road for price and quality and unfortunately it seems that one of the things you give up with Duromax is customer support.

My generator seems to run pretty well although not completely smoothly, but the idle control (automatic throttle) is pretty much useless as it won't hold rpm or voltage for more than a few minutes under load. It automatically picks up from idle to full rpm when the load comes on, but then after several minutes starts dropping back down to idle for several seconds then picks back up for a few minutes, then repeats. Since the voltage also drops by half it makes the feature pretty useless.

I tried calling their tech support and was told the generator needed to be broken in for 8 hours which I didn't believe but did anyway. After that first call they stopped returning my calls entirely, so far I've left 4 voice mails with no response from them in 3 days. Don't count on getting any support from them if you need it.

I also tried email support and got this response: "If there is going to be any load on the system the idle control needs to be in the off position." That is ridiculous. What's the point to the system if it won't work when there's a load on? I don't know if the design is bad or mine is just broken since I can't get them to reply to my messages, but my guess is it's probably a bad design with the feature there just for advertising.

The manual is very poor, there's no mention of the electric start or hooking up the battery but the big problem is there's no information about anything except routine maintenance. Nothing about the engine, carb, speed control, etc. Since Duromax provides such poor support, I don't know how anything could be fixed if there was a problem.

Incidentally, the choke control is reverse labeled, what it shows as on is actually off and doesn't match the manual.

The power apparently is a bit dirty, my Insteon system won't work with it and my UPS boxes beep because they don't think the power quality is good enough. It does run my TV and microwave without problems though.

Pros:
Reasonable capacity for the price.
Not too noisy, although certainly not quiet (it would be pretty good if the idle worked)
Easy electric starting

Cons:
Idle control useless.
Occasionally rough running.
Very poor customer support.
Parts only warranty. You pay shipping.
Poor manual.