5.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT Black Metal
IF you want great epic black metal go take a look at Burzum or Satyricon.
What we have here tho is what to me sounds like extreme gothic music with black metal influences. And my gosh is this a great combination.
Published on March 11, 2000 by R. Schouten

3.0 out of 5 stars Make the bad woman stop
The first couple of moments are fantastic, until the horrid screeching that is. Lords of darkness cringe and pray that that soul never makes it to hell. If it does then just use the screaming to torture others. I would have rated it higher if the vocalist had a true voice. The music in its self is superb.
Published on November 19, 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars This is NOT Black Metal, March 11, 2000
R. Schouten "nephilim1999" (Nijkerk, GLD Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dusk... And Her Embrace (Audio CD)
IF you want great epic black metal go take a look at Burzum or Satyricon.
A friend of mine said that Dani's considered the most talented rock vocalist in the world and I agree. He can do amazing things with his voice. And no, the screeching doesn't bother me at all. It sounds like a true man or demon in agony.
What I like about this CD is that it sounds really epic and romantic. I love the keyboard melodies. They compliment the atmosphere the guitar riffs set. Brutal yet strangely beautiful in a really twisted way.
Visions of castles in the fog and werewolves howling in dark woods come to mind when I play this.
This strange fusion of gothic romance and extreme music takes some getting used to but once the darkness and desolation penetrates your soul it will be etched on your brain forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cd ive bought, August 18, 2005
This review is from: Dusk & Her Embrace (Audio CD)
before i get into my review let me first say that these reviews are suppose to be helpful for potential buyers of this cd and its really annoying to me that some people come on here and dog out the cd just because they dont like metal. if you dont like the music then why waste the time? anyways on to the cd. Dusk and her Embrace is by far my favorite Cradle album and just may be my favorite album of all time. this was the first Cradle of Filth cd released in America but was released here in a different version. in the UK version the track list in almost the same (Malice through the looking glass was not in the UK release) and the order was different. the only thing i would say relatively disapoints me in the cd is that Carmilla'a Masque was not on this version but was on the UK one. anyways the first time or any time you listen to this cd you get this feeling that you are in a graveyard almost and feel spirits around you, this cd just gives off an unbelievably eerie and haunting vibe and i love it. the guitar work in my opinion is amazingly fantastic and the interludes are great, some people skip over the interludes but sometimes i listen to them over and over again. once again Dani comes back at us with lyrics about Vampires and such of that nature and the lyrics pan out to be absolutely wonderful. this is truly the cd that made me a die hard Cradle fan and i then went out and bought the other cds of theres. all in all i would recomend this cd highly to anyone into the metal style of music or fan of eerie sounds and such of that feel. my favorite track on this cd would probably be a tie between "Heaven Torn Asunder" and "Beauty Slept In Sodom" but they really come close to the other tracks so i would say the whole album is my favorite track. once again i just really wish they would put Carmilla's Masque on this version for it sets the mood even more so. i am more than pleased with my purchase, i love the way this is produced and the order of the tracks just seemingly flow nicely. brief review with all the tracks get 5/5 stars from me, start to finish back to front no matter how you look at it this is one of the best pieces of music TODAY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty meets Brutal, June 21, 2004
This review is from: Dusk & Her Embrace (Audio CD)
Over the past 4 years, Cradle Of Filth have become one of my favortie bands. They are always accused of making black metal popular, being sell-outs yeah whatever. I am not here to drown on about close minded fools. So onto the album.

This is a beautiful album, I love every aspect of it. This is probably tied with cruelty and the beast as my favorite cof album. I just find the lyrics beautiful and inspiering in there own way. The music as well is just brutal at times and beautiful another/ If you are new to cof or black metal in general the vocal styles will be difficult to get used to at 1st. Now time for my thoughts on the songs themselves.

Humana inspired to nightmare - 4/5 One of my favorite cof insurmentals truly beautiful.

Heaven torn asunder - 4.5/5 A great full length song opener. Sets the mood well for this album

Funeral in Carpathia - 20/5 My favorite song off of this album and one of my favorite cof songs in general, a beautiful epic.

A gothic romance (red rose for the devils whor*) - 5/5 Probably the best example of beauty meets brutal on this album great lyrics as well.

Malice through the looking glass - 6/5 An incredlbile song, I love the orchestrated intro

Dusk and her embrace - 5/5 Title track for this album and a great song at that a real fan favorite.

The graveyard by moonlight - 4/5 Another great instrumental worth a few listens

Beauty slept in sodom - 15/5 2nd favorite song off of this album has some of cofs best lyrics.

Haunted shores - The best possible closing song for this album I love the violen intro.

So, to put an end to this review. This is a modern masterpiece in my eyes. I would not advice if you are new to cof to start with this album. My opinion is you buy maybe damnation and a day & lovecraft and witch hearts 1st. I hope you found some helpfulness in this review. Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Supreme Vampyric Listening Enjoyment!, February 18, 2000
This review is from: Dusk... And Her Embrace (Audio CD)
To call this "Black metal" would be mislabeling this band. But then again, why does it need to be "Black Metal" to be astonishingly brutal? This album takes alot longer than Cruelty and The Beast to get used to. But it's well worth it in the end. Dani's screeches are better on their latest album (Cruelty), and even the songwriting of Cruelty surpasses "Dusk", but everything else is astonishingly better on this album. Robin's bass is not only audible, but very commanding, and the guitar tones are almost perfect. "Dusk"'s drum sounds are far better on this album. And once you get accustomed to those neck-breaking beat changes, they'll grow on you faster than a necrophile runs for a Victoria's Secret Tour Bus Crash. So if you're new to Cradle of Filth, I reccomend you check out Cruelty And The Beast FIRST. But "Dusk" is still nothing short of an epic album. I guarantee you won't hear anything else like this from another band. This band defies most modern music by making everything as big and epic as possible. Songs like, "Dusk And Her Embrace" reach incredible speeds, but they still never lose their wonderful ambiance. There are heavy Iron Maiden influences, and even a bit of old Slayer influences (Hell Awaits, Show No Mercy). My personal favorites of this album are "Funeral In Carpathia" and "A Gothic Romance". Regardless, there is not one bad song on this masterpiece. So if your looking for something extreme, yet beautiful, check out "Dusk...And Her Embrace" and you sure as hell won't be dissapointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Their best album and the start of the craze., October 18, 2004
Herbert West (The Rabbit Hole) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dusk & Her Embrace (Audio CD)
To begin with, I'm not even a hard-core Filth fan. I'm coming from the aspect of a metal/Industrial/Punk fan. This album is the first COF album I heard b/c it was the first one that was promoted to public America and its got a classic vibe all its own. I Only like 3 Filth albums that are bad-ass and they are this one, Midian, and Cruelty...This album is ten times darker than anything they did. It has an Icy feel to it. Like walking over a grave. Heaven Torn Asunder is so bad-ass and heavy with awesome riffs. The title track is also pummeling especially with the drumming. The real gem is Beauty Slept in Sodom...first song I heard from them and the most brooding. This album has all that Cradle of Filth had to offer. COF now is the N-Sync of their type of music and their albums are bad in a BAD way. I know about 90% of you will disagree but thats my opinion. From 96-2000 COF was bad ass. Now they are not. Either way, I will blister my ears with this awesome album until I croak. Nuff said

5.0 out of 5 stars The beginning of my black metal journey, January 20, 2004
This review is from: Dusk & Her Embrace (Audio CD)
Not only is this album the best Cradle of Filth album to date, it is the record that introduced me to Black Metal. I remember how amazed I was when I heard these songs, the music was fast, brutal and very melodic. Dani's voice ripped my soul and I was immediately hooked to these evil sounds. I didn't know that it was possible to create such music.
This, their third release, is a masterpiece that few of their other works can be compared to. I love this album. One can never get tired of listening to it. A masterpiece in its genre. No wander that Cradle of Filth became the most talked about black metal band ever.
This album starts off with an instrumental (just like most of their other albums). This sets the mood. It creates a dark atmosphere and gets you ready to weep as the beautiful sounds of the next song begin to fill your heart. Indeed, "Heaven Torn Assunder" is a really powerful song that is filled with melody and yet the anger and resentment of the talented musicians can be felt. Together with "Funeral In Carpathia" they are the best songs on this record. This last statement of mine, however, does not do the rest of the songs justice. They are all incredible. "Red Roses For The Devil's Whore", is really amazing. It is a song with many moods. It contains very fast and brutal parts that up to this point in the album we were not made to listen.
I remember seeing the video for "Malice Through The Looking Glass". In fact it was the first single from this band, if I'm not mistaken. An amazing song. Here you feel the sadness of the tune as the meloncholy melodies carry you to a world I had never got in touch with. Then again the guitarist will rip through that relax state of mind with a mighty riff. What an outstanding piece of work.
The title track, "Dusk... And Her Embrace" continues to make this record excel. Here Dani's powerful voice is heard while being contrasted with a beautiful female voice. It seems like the virgin is getting ready to be sacrificed or willingly brutalised as the demonic sounds continue to drown the listener. Amazing, you got to listen to it to actually understand the feeling you go through when listening to these tracks.
"The Graveyard by Moonlight" is an instrumental. Unlike others it is rightly placed here to relax you after your body has been made to go through the first tracks. As soon as the first notes of an harpsichord are played at the beginning of "Beauty Slept In Sodom" you are quickly taken back to that wonderful world that this album creates. The song is slower than the others but just as beautiful. The journey concludes with the track "Haunted Shores", a track that makes you want to start listening to this cd over again.
This album is really amazing. One of the century's greatest works. A must have for any metal fan. You will not regret it. Trust me, you'll probably run to the cd shop to buy all their other releases after you hear this.

5.0 out of 5 stars So awesome in so many aspects - always something new to find, August 12, 2001
William Magill (Melb, Vic, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dusk & Her Embrace (Audio CD)
Dusk and Her Embrace is an absolutely fantastic album. I first heard of CoF with the song Malice Through the Looking Glass. I was really impressed. Before this I had never heard any black metal style bands, and the vocals, varying as they did from clean to extreme, were really something else. The next song I heard I can't recall, except to say it turned me off them for quite some time (to Dimmu Borgir, actually). But when this CD was on sale locally for about 2/3 of the price of most albums, I thought what the hell and went for it. It took a little while to get into it, with the aforementioned Malice and the song A Gothic Romance being my hooks into the album. The more I listened to it, the greater my appreciation for this album has grown. I'm not sure whether a Gothic Romance is the best song any more, because all the songs are so fantastic, from the wild abandon of Heaven Torn Asunder and Haunted Shores to the interlude of the Graveyard by Moonlight. The music is vast and sweeping, powerful and deeply moving. The vocals - exquisite! From the enchanting guest female vocals to Dani's shrill screaming (someone once likened the sound to someone having their [...] cut off with a rusty razorblade), from the deep and gutsy growling to the 'rallying war speech' by Cronos on Haunted Shores, the vocals complement the music superbly. And the lyrics are brilliant, some of the best I've read. I can't believe some people can fail to appreciate the craftsmanship, with cited influences including H.P. Lovecraft (and Clive Barker on later albums). Speaking of other albums, I find this to be their finest. Midian is exceptionally good, and heavier, but the lyrics don't reach the pinnacles of excellence that DahE reaches, nor is it as musically varied. The Principle of Evil Made Flesh is good, but a little raw. And as for Cruelty, I have only heard snippets so I can't comment. But every now and then when I find myself straying to other bands and albums, all it takes is one listen to Dusk to recall how brilliant the entire album is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never Gets Old for Me, October 30, 2005
This review is from: Dusk... And Her Embrace (Audio CD)
I've heard most of COF's stuff, and this by far, is still my favortie album by them. Some people accuse these guys of going too mainstream with this, and not being raw enough, but I think that's what I like about it so much. The fact that they almost invented a new kind of style with this album-something like "Romantic Black Metal." Dani's voice is so sweet on this album, it's unearthly, and the only way I can describe it is like a vampire that's had its manhood removed-but in a good way. In all of the other COF albums, Dani just kinda sounds "ehhh-it's been done before." But Dusk and her Embrace is by far a superior album. My favorite song has got to be Haunted Shores-the beginning with the violin is utter genius, and then how it goes into that frantic, fast-paced chorus, and then finishes off with the "These are the shores where to my soul..." speech. Just utterly awesome. The rest of the album is awesome too, it just kind of melds together, you can actually listen to the whole thing without getting tired of it. Why oh why didn't they make more albums like this one?

5.0 out of 5 stars Beauty in Darkness, January 7, 2001
This review is from: Dusk... And Her Embrace (Audio CD)
I think my ears are bleeding, but for once, that's a good thing. The reason? For the past hour, I've been listening to the British sextet Cradle of Filth's third album, 'Dusk and Her Embrace.' It's frightening, loud, sensual and darkly melodic: ie a masterpiece of the genre. I wanna make one thing clear: if you're looking for easy listening, look elsewhere. If you're a fan of Marilyn Manson or Nine Inch Nails and think you're 'hardcore' enough for this, well, you better tie yourself down. This may be considered pop by the so called 'black metal' genre, but for anyone else, it's anything but. Anyway, enough blathering, time for the meat, and suffice to say there is a lot of it. Vocalist/Lyricist Dani uses words like gangsters use bullets. Each song is quite lyrically intense, but the semantics are gorgeous (when they can be understood: thank heaven..err, hell for a lyric booklet) and contain lots of mythical, biblical, philosophical and historical references. These lyrics are emitted by one of the greatest vocalists in the business. Dani can go from an extremely high-pitched scream down to a low growl in a split second. His demon-like rantings have to be murder on the vocal chords, but they sound delightfully unpleasant. Famale vocals are spattered in here and there, when there's dialouge by female entities. That too adds a dimension to the songs. The instruments are great as well. The rhythm section booms and commands, while the guitarists play freeze-tag at high speed. The keyboards add an operatic quality to the whole thing. The arrangements are interesting, as always. There are lightning-fast rhythm and melody changes, sudden drops in tone, tempo and volume, and swirling masses of seemingly dischordant sound all coming together into one entity. It's tough to pin any track down to a simple tune, which is a good thing here, and these songs come off very sophisticated. It's hard to avoid comparison to the band's follow-up, 'Cruelty and the Beast,' since I heard that first, and I'd have to say that 'Cruelty' is much easier to access and more ornate, but 'Dusk' is definitely more intense and raw, and an excellent listen.....if you're not scared of the dark.

5.0 out of 5 stars To the graveyard!, January 14, 2001
"corsuvax" (Brugge, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dusk... And Her Embrace (Audio CD)
Cradle of Filth is one of those bands who can create a certain atmosphere that makes you forget about the rest off the world for a little while. Well, this album does it again. Put on this record and you travel (in mind) to the darkest corners off the graveyard where vampires hide. EXCELLENT album, very beautiful! A must for every Cradle Of Filth fan.

Dusk & Her Embrace
Dusk & Her Embrace by Cradle Of Filth (Audio CD - 2001)