5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great.
Published on October 5, 2012 by Jeremiah

1.0 out of 5 stars Take caution, make sure it fits!
Published on March 21, 2012 by A. King

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great., October 5, 2012
Jeremiah (OC, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dustless Technologies D1850 DustBuddie with 7-Inch Universal Adapter and 18-Inch Hose (Tools & Home Improvement)
This product works great. I am using it with at DEWALT DW840K 7-Inch Angle Grinder with Bag and Wheels and DEWALT DW4773 7-Inch Grinding Cup Wheel Heavy Material Removal and a Rigid Shop Vac. This product attaches to the grinder very easily and collects almost all of the dust. I am talking 99.9% of the dust is collected. I am grinding down a concrete floor so that I can do hardwood installation. I have to grind about 150 sf up to 5/8".

Here are some tips for making this work even better:
1) get a cleanable hepa filter for your shop vac and clean it very 15-20 minutes.
2) get a bag for your shop vac; this will seriously cut down on the hastle of cleaning up when you are done
3) duct tape your shop vac hose to the hose on this shroud to keep it from coming off
4) you will still need a good dust mask and goggles (never skip your safety equipment)

1.0 out of 5 stars Take caution, make sure it fits!, March 21, 2012
A. King (Ft. Worth, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Took this out of the box and would tend to agree with the other reviews: construction is very good and it looks like it would do the job perfectly. One problem, it won't fit my grinder. Sure, it will go on, but even with screws adjusted all the way down it is still too high in it's profile to allow my grinding wheel to turn. I have a brand new Hitachi 7" grinder. Since I was on a job and needed a solution, I went to home depot, whitecap (an industrial supply in our area) and at least 5 pawn shops looking for something that would fit it. Looks like the only brand (that I could find) is Bosch. Guess what, Bosch makes a dust muzzle specifically for its grinder, so I wouldn't buy this one anyway. The dustbuddy won't fit a Milwaukee, DeWalt, or Makita either. Just beware.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work with DeWalt 7" grinder, December 27, 2012
You need a PROPER dust hood-especially if cutting lead paint. I believe silica-in cement-is a carcinogen too. Do not take a chance as this creates a huge dust storm. I used a 3M NIOSH mask and goggles- both a must, to grind old loose paint off a basement wall for waterproofing and painting. Incredibly difficult job with great results-short of my soreness.

I used a 7"Dewalt grinder and the DustBuddie hood- bad combination, really bad. Diamond wheel recessed in the hood too far and the diamond tool ate the brush on the hood. Huge mess and the hood failed. I contacted Dustless Technologies and they sent a new dust buddie and a shaft-extender- also a bad plan. Shaft extender was eccentric and 3weeks later my shoulders and hands still hurt. No kidding, still have a blister. The hood barely worked, the bearings in the grinder are probably ruined and I nearly choked to death toward the end as the second Dust Buddie rattled to pieces. It was a job I HAD to do by a certain date, so fought through it. Diamond tool and grinder were great-dust Buddie did not.

Do not try this before verifying an un-modified grinder shaft fits your vacuum hood.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great if you have the right vac., March 29, 2011
Not completely dustless but it does a good job when you pair it with their vac and bag. Using any other clogs up quickly or spews dust all over the place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable, January 10, 2011
This is a first rate product. Well designed and made with quality materials. I thought the price was a little steep at first, but it has been worth every cent.
The clear plastic is nice but it quickly fogs from all the dust/chips so that you can't see through it. The removable section is perfect for working close to edges while still maintaining reasonable dust collection. I would highly recommend this product to anyone even considering grinding concrete/mortar etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, April 12, 2014
This will not work on a Rigid grinder without a adapter. I figured this out after working with this thing for a couple hours and trying to adjust it. I am not sure what brand grinder it will work on. The adapter is another 30.00 or so and that makes this thing about double the price of a good grinder. I think it would work OK if you have a grinder it will fit. They should put a list of grinders it will fit in their ad.

1.0 out of 5 stars DustBuddie is a bad deal, September 17, 2014
Bought the 7" DeWalt grinder ($130) and the 7" DeWalt Cup disc ($90) along with the DustBuddie ($100). Bad deal. The 7" DeWalt cup disc was recessed inside the DustBuddie which prevented the disc from touching the floor without a lot of pressure. The DustBuddie brushes kept the disc from touching the floor. Too much pressure and gouging occurs. DustBuddie includes some washers which you can place on the grinder shaft. This will make the disc extend beyond the DustBuddie edges. This concerned me so I spoke to the rental guy at Home Depot to get his opinion on using these washers. He stated that this was a safety issue and not to do it. The disc spins at 8,000+ rpms. If the disc comes off it may cause serious injury, if not death, plus property damage. DustBuddie was a waste of time and money. Beware before you buy the DustBuddie. It looks good but it doesn't work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised!, August 13, 2014
Used this on my Craftsman grinder with the Americut Arrow FPA7T diamond cup wheel in conjunction with my 6 gallon Ridgid shop vac with hi eff. filter to remove thinset from concrete slab. Had about 150 sq ft of tile to remove in stages, and did not want to do store rental multiple times. I had tried chipping away the thinset to keep dust down, but forget that! This was the way to go! Maybe 98% dust free; some puffs get out at times, more as you remove the cover to do edges, but quite acceptable. With above wheel could do about 3 sq ft/minute.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, June 24, 2014
Works fairly well. Would be great for outside but inside and on rough concrete caught about 70% of dust. Good

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep the mess under control, April 20, 2014
Hardcore shopper ""The truth & only the t... (Sunny, crowded & over-taxed CALIFORNIA) - See all my reviews
We use the dust Buddie on a grinder to control the dust when we have to grind down lippage on the concrete floor of our church. Before using a Dust Buddie, grinding the concrete made a mess of the ENTIRE church.
Concrete dust settled EVERYWHERE.
Now we can grind down trip hazards ourselves with minimal mess and fuss.

It is also very useful for polishing and grinding concrete counter tops. where you don't want the room full of dust, or where the dust will settle into the grains of the wooden cabinetry.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›