5.0 out of 5 stars Dutch Cooking
It is a great collection of Dutch recipes. Dutch cooking is not a widely known cruisine and this book will introduce it to more people. Being part Dutch I really enjoyed it and used many of the recipes.
Published on August 3, 2007 by Jon E. Brubaker

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Reading - Problematic Recipes
Published on January 5, 2004 by Westley

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Reading - Problematic Recipes, January 5, 2004
Westley (Stuck in my head) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Art of Dutch Cooking (Paperback)
C. Countess van Limburg Stirum has written an interesting cookbook discussing the food of the Netherlands. I'm part Dutch but know nothing about their food other than those cute windmill cookies you can buy at grocery stores. With relatively few Dutch cookbooks available, I was eager to purchase this book. Overall, the cookbook is interesting, and the author admirably describes the food and food-related customs of the country. However, her writing is choppy and difficult to understand at times. Admittedly, the writer's first language is probably not English, but the American publisher should have done more editing. Although no photos are included of the recipes, a number of the author's hand-drawn pictures are included throughout the cookbook. The pictures are fairly odd, portraying a rather old-fashioned Holland. The cover, for instance, depicts people eating raw herring in a scene that could be straight out of a Rembrandt painting.
The recipes are intriguing but often incomplete, expecting the reader to understand Dutch ingredients and techniques without much explanation. For example, a number of recipes call for boiled ham or beef, without any details. A large portion of the recipes also call for eggs or seafood, so non-fans of those foods may not enjoy this book. In sum, you'll probably really enjoy this cookbook if you're interested in learning more about Dutch food and culture. On the other hand, actually making the recipes may be problematic, as the recipes are written somewhat poorly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dutch Cooking, August 3, 2007
Jon E. Brubaker (North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars The Art of Dutch Cooking, January 18, 2011
I had this book for many years in hardback.
It was lost in our moves. So happy to see
it in paperback and still available! Good
recipes, just like my Mother used to
make. I was born in Holland and raised
in the U.S. She tried to make us aware
of our Father's culture & food so when
visiting we knew what we liked to eat.
Teens can be sooo picky! Can't wait to get
my copy

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Dutch cookbook., January 10, 2013
Ryan deHaan (Vancouver, British Columbia, CA) - See all my reviews
This cookbook is full of great recipies from all occasions. It is very hard to find Dutch cookbooks in english.

4.0 out of 5 stars Postal abuse diminishes otherwise worthwhile purchase, November 15, 2013
Had the book not been mis handled in the post I am sure it would have arrived in better shape — severely bent. creased and bumped. Perhaps something more than just a lightweight envelope would have insulated it against abuse.

The Art of Dutch Cooking
The Art of Dutch Cooking by C. Countess Van Limburg Stirum (Paperback - July 1, 2001)
Used & New from: $0.50