5.0 out of 5 stars Cyberpunk, gritty as you like
Published on December 28, 2010 by C. Patrick Daily

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price
The two short stories were excellent for the price. The problem, and why I gave it only 3 stars, was the last short story was the first part of his other Dwarves book.
Published 8 months ago by John P Andrewski

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Cyberpunk, gritty as you like, December 28, 2010
This review is from: Dead Dwarves, Dirty Deeds (Kindle Edition)
All three of the stories were great reads. "Angel" was good and fast with a twist at the end. "Gift Horse" was an excellent story of double-cross and revenge. "Money is Everything" is a nice introduction to Mr. Canyon's main character in the novel "Dead Dwarves Don't Dance", Noose, the dwarven Cyber-merc. The title of the last story made me laugh after reading "Gift Horse", you'll understand when you read it. All together these three give you an idea of what the world is like in this cyberpunk future. I'd say it feels like Shadowrun without magic, if you get my drift. That's a good thing. I love the genetic engineering aspect and hope to see much more of this world in the near future.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great tease or a solid follow up, December 15, 2010
This review is from: Dead Dwarves, Dirty Deeds (Kindle Edition)
I actually read Dead Dwarves Don't Dance before reading this one, so I found it to be a perfect follow up. The 3 stories here are interesting and also different from each other, all while existing in the same universe and being loosely connected. Quite a feat!

Probably "Angel" was my favorite of the three, but both it and the second one "Gift Horse" kept me burning through the pages.

It's a good appetizer that sets up the main course (Dead Dwarves Don't Dance) very nicely.

I have the same complaint about both books though, they ended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good entry to cyberpunk, April 25, 2011
xsquid "Bob" (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Dwarves, Dirty Deeds (Kindle Edition)
Years ago a was a fan of the Shadowrun series and searching for that brought me to this collection of stories. Overall I'd have to give them a thumbs up with a 4.5 stars but rounding up it has to be 5. Each story led into the next with an introduction of future characters, what was unique to me was the characters selected to carry the storyline. The first, Angel, was very interesting until the end when I have to admit I lost track of what occurred, this story I'd have to place at 3 stars or "ok". The second story, Gift Horse earns 5 star and brought a new meaning to the expression "revenge is a dish best served cold". The third, Money is Everything, was the best, also clocking in at 5 stars. This gave us a lead into the authors future protagonist Noose, a hard nosed dwarf or "gimli" to use the non polite term. Lumped together these stories open the doors to a new future cyberpunk world where neohumans are bred for specific purposes for the benefit of their corporate masters. I've already grabbed the followup novel "Dead Dwarves Don't Dance" of which there was a sample with this short story collection. If you aren't a fan of cyberpunk but do enjoy action in your story this will still work for you I think, overall the cyber augmentation of the characters doesn't seem to be as in your face as the old Shadowrun universe. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, I enjoyed it, December 22, 2010
C. Yu (Newark, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Dwarves, Dirty Deeds (Kindle Edition)
Good stuff. Good writing, good editing. I like the cover art too. A quality piece of writing. The author plunges you into a bright and dark world of the future. The images are still burned in my head. Grisly and vivid.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true Shadowrun adventure, June 11, 2014
Alex Summers (North Pole, Alaska) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dead Dwarves, Dirty Deeds (Kindle Edition)
The first, and hands down best, shadowrunner book I ever read. Great development, interesting charecters, and a rich world to draw upon. I wish the men in black memory eraser existed so I could experience all the plot twists again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read., June 8, 2014
This review is from: Dead Dwarves, Dirty Deeds (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed the new perspective on dwarves in the near future.

I will read more in the series. Worth the time for sure!

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the price, May 10, 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun series, October 10, 2013
This review is from: Dead Dwarves, Dirty Deeds (Kindle Edition)
He is a real man's man. Hero is an odd way, you find yourself really getting involved in his delimma.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read but too short!, September 29, 2013
This review is from: Dead Dwarves, Dirty Deeds (Kindle Edition)
I think this was very well done. I really enjoyed this but it was too short.

We need more shadowrun novels

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good read, May 26, 2013
This review is from: Dead Dwarves, Dirty Deeds (Kindle Edition)
I have read a few other books by Mr Canyon and have enjoyed everyone. Nothing fancy, but a really good read, good story, interesting characters and plots. Definitely recommend this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›