4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Modern Design for the Reasonable Among Us
Here is a magazine that focuses on modern design and clean-line architecture without the trendy vibe that makes a competitor like "Wallpaper" an expensive, hit-or-miss read. What I like most about "Dwell" is its consistency in presenting interesting designs from around the world that look quite livable and fashionable at the same time. Even the advertisements are quite...
Published on December 2, 2005 by Ed Uyeshima

2.0 out of 5 stars Great eye candy, no useful content
This magazine has great photos, and as an aficionado of mid-century modern I am drawn to it like a moth to a flame. But, if you want to actually apply any of these ideas to your own house, don't hold your breath--unless you have $150K to plunk down. The featured houses are all either custom built new homes, or incredibly expensive redesigns. I actually got pretty excited...
Published on April 16, 2009 by S. Siegal

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Dwell - How to live well in our post-apocalyptic future, March 25, 2010
D. Meyer (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dwell (Magazine)
I feel like dwell is showcasing the idea of how to live well in our post-apocalyptic future. This magazine is starting to depress me. Does everything seem grey with stainless steel accents? Modern living is quite warm...what's up dwell? I'm moving past glossiness into some real patina - I'm finding it better for my mood and my pocket book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dwell on this, January 9, 2007
PRIMER (Philly, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dwell (Magazine)
Excellent source for all lovers of design, architecture, pre-fab and modern. All the great images and articles without the pomp and circumstance of other architectural mags.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good looking, poorly written and edited, June 27, 2013
This review is from: Dwell (Magazine)
As many others have noted, Dwell is simply eye candy and an advertising vehicle, usually for insanely expensive products. Photos are often inclined to be artsy and cool-looking but not informative if you're curious about how something really looks (way-below-eye level shots, or too dramatically lit to really explain a detail, for example). My biggest beef, though, as someone in the business, is that in every issue I've seen -- a couple dozen probably -- I've found factual or technical errors in references to construction methods and materials. I love the stuff they cover, but Dwell is not a serious source if you're curious about how buildings are put together and finished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Design at Its Best, May 14, 2010
This review is from: Dwell (Magazine)
I subscribed to a couple furniture/design magazines last year, and this is the only subscription I kept. I had Metropolitan Homes, but while it had nice pictures, etc it did not have the polish of Dwell.

Dwell is a designers magazine, with a heavy focus on typography, great layouts, and an overall joy. I've kept every issue and look back at them for design inspiration (I'm a web designer).

Highly recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars fit for gawking and little else, November 10, 2008
Peri Winkle (Murfreesboro, TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dwell (Magazine)
Subscribe only if you have plenty of time on your hands and little to do with it. It's very slick, nice to look at, but irrelevant. Not worth either the time or the money unless you have LOTS of one or the other or an obsession with ultra modern building.

4.0 out of 5 stars its ok, but unique, March 27, 2013
This review is from: Dwell (Magazine)
I have been reading Dwell for a few years and subscribing for two. I even own some early issues i sourced on Ebay. The quality has been going downhill especially when Dwell went to the smaller more "magazine" size (right about the time i started subscribing)versus the oversize they employed early on. There are more advertisements than ever, and the articles are shorter. Its now more of a picture rag which sometimes is good but other times you want something to read. Overall its heading towards a coffee table approach and less of an architectural one, the actual blueprints and in depth coverage on the homes is dwindling.

I do look forward to a few issues a year, mainly the prefab or small spaces type issues which is my interest. I would cancel and have thought about it many times, but there isn't much else that serves this niche. Atomic Ranch is a little too narrow focused for me, and the other architecture mags to defined as well. The lack of competition keeps me subscribing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept, but . . ., December 5, 2012
This review is from: Dwell (Magazine)
I like the concept of Dwell Magazine as I am very interested in prefab/modular homes. And it is the only magazine of this kind (to my knowledge) out on the book stands. In the northeast, it was more difficult to find but thanks to Amazon.com I was able to get a subscription to this relatively new magazine. However, their pictorial shots and presentation didn't excite me in wanting to find out more about their product(s). Their editorial was at times more technical than it needed to be for the average person. Their editorial team could have done a better job in presenting more useful information pertinent to regional building requirements (pros/cons), etc. in the U.S. In fact, their advertisers were a times more exciting to peruse. I did not renew as I think they need to better understand the needs of their market.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mostly adds, few articles... basically your paying to look at advertisments, June 25, 2013
This review is from: Dwell (Magazine)
Initially I was very excited... until I realized that most of the magazine was advertisments. Even then, I was still mildly interested, until I tried pricing some of the items I was intetested in. Very high priced... Overall, I felt I wasted my money.

4.0 out of 5 stars You are my inspiration, April 30, 2013
This review is from: Dwell (Magazine)
Lets face it, I initially picked up a subscription because of the amazing photos of modern design....plus the fact that my nephew was selling magazine subscriptions for school and I couldn't say no. Many of the rooms and products they feature are drool worthy, yet most of these items are ridiculously expensive and I could never afford. That being said, it is still inspirational and you can get ideas and try to find similar products at a more affordable prices.

4.0 out of 5 stars As far as visuals go, this mag is a work of art!, April 12, 2010
This review is from: Dwell (Magazine)
This magazine is extremely well designed, produced and it's content is intriguing. I would have to admit, this is pretty much GQ for home renovators, meaning, most of us will never ever have enough money to buy even a faucet from any of the designs. As a Graphic Designer I have to say this magazine is one of my favorites to just glance at. Every picture is amazing, every page is well designed and laid out. The content is well written. The materials used wreak polish and quality. It's not the magazines fault I'm poor, but its images of extreme opulence remind me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›