1,621 Reviews
 (1,312)

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget other spiritual/NDE books, just buy this one
Published on February 16, 2012 by "Mr. T"

3.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting
Published on March 14, 2012 by Sweetcitywoman

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget other spiritual/NDE books, just buy this one, February 16, 2012
Up and coming author Anita Moorjani's debut book Dying To Be Me is undoubtedly one of the most important books of 2012. It is one of the most inspiring memoirs I have ever read. In these pages Anita shares in the most touching and heart felt of ways her personal history, growing up different, the tension cultural expectations created within her and the events leading up to her getting cancer and experiencing the most magnificent of near death experiences at the time her organs began to shut down in the final hours of advanced stage Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
During her NDE Anita awakened to a heightened state of awareness which allowed her to understand why she had cancer (among many other things) and accessed a state of unconditional loving energy that allowed her to gain full recovery of her health.

I need not elaborate on Anita's story any further, as it can be read in her NDE account at the Near Death Experience Research Foundation website, and there are also many different interviews available online for those who are unfamiliar with her story. However, if you are looking for a cliché NDE book with tunnels, white lights, angels and God you will be disappointed. This NDE transcends all cultures and all religions.

I would like to emphasize that despite being a book about a near death experience, it has a much broader appeal than most other NDE books and is in my opinion multi-disciplinary. It is of huge value to anyone interested in the areas of near death experiences, death, dying and bereavement, cancer, spontaneous remission, the mind-body relationship, mind-body and energy medicine, reincarnation, or to anyone who simply wishes to examine how the universe and life works in general. It even makes a compelling case for the skeptics of spiritual phenomena, as her spontaneous remission so close to death is one of a kind and medically documented and verified. In addition to Anita's wonderful message, I would hope that her views on cancer provide food for thought for oncologists around the world, and change the way the world and in particular the medical profession thinks about, views and treats cancer.

What impresses me most about this book and about Anita's message is that her NDE pertains much more to life and living than it does to death and what we can expect in the afterlife (although this topic is also covered in the book). It helps us eliminate the clutter in our lives and to focus more on what makes us happy and brings us joy in life, as well as eliminating any existential phobias we may have stemming from the relatively unknown realm of death.

Often spiritual books can create more existential fears and tensions rather than alleviate them with mention of concepts of sin, karma, pre-life planning of car accidents and illnesses, "soul lessons", soul levels, hell, punishment etc. These books usually have some sort of agenda to push, but luckily this is not the case with Anita Moorjani, she is a breath of fresh air, something I am eternally grateful for.

Anita doesn't claim to be a spiritual guru, she doesn't peddle any sort of agenda as many other spiritual authors do. She has no dogma to force onto the reader. Instead she has an amazing story to tell (which she does with amazing dexterity in the English language), and shares from her NDE the many insights she gained into her own life, her own cancer and life and living in general, insights that anyone can benefit from.

For me Anita's NDE and the insight she gained from it tremendously helped me overcome much cognitive dissonance which came from reading various New Age spiritual, self help type books, and put life into a much clearer and more logical perspective. At the same time Anita offers an outlook on life that is relatively easy to implement-DO WHAT FEELS RIGHT FOR YOU, DON'T DO WHAT DOESN'T FEEL RIGHT FOR YOU, everything else in life is secondary.

If you are embarking on a quest for spiritual knowledge or if you have been on one for many years, don't buy 30 New Age books on soul mates, twin flames, soul lessons, law of attraction, indigo children, soul progression, karma etc, such books have little to do with the greater cosmic reality and in my opinion, for the most part, the concepts discussed in them are misconceptions at best, in other cases just plain lies. Such books can create quite a destructive and toxic belief system and can make living life more difficult and complicated than it needs to be.

Instead, just buy this book. It will help you remove the clutter from your mind, your way of thinking and from your life as well. The biggest myth that Dying To Be Me dismisses is that being spiritual or living life needs to be hard work, that we need to work hard for a favoured position in the afterlife, that we need to suffer and make sacrifices for spiritual advancement, enlightenment and perfection (such beliefs are the foundation of all religions and New Age thought). In the absence of such ideas Anita provides us with a much lighter and fulfilling perspective on life, allowing us to become more effective at being ourselves.

In Anita's own words "If you think you need to work hard at being spiritual then you haven't got it yet."

Dying To Be Me is undoubtedly a ten star book, a book with universal appeal and with a message that will never lose its relevance to spirituality and to living a happy and fulfilled life.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Enchanting and Spectacular Read, February 5, 2012
If Anita Moorjani's book had been written two years ago, or earlier, I probably would have passed it by. But, through my own long struggle with grief and my encounter with "super normal" experiences, I've been launched onto a path of discovery for over two years now. It's been quite a circuitous route, and the very first book I read on NDEs was, thankfully, "Life After Life," written by Dr. Raymond Moody. If I had ventured into the world of the many books written about NDEs, I would have chalked off the entire phenomenon.

Part of my journey also included finding Bob Olsen, who, as a result of his own grief process, began his mission to discover the truth behind psychic mediumship. He is now producing a wonderful on-line series of interviews called, "Afterlife TV, With Bob Olsen." One of his recent interviewees included Anita Moorjani and her interview was broadcast on December 7, 2011. There's a word the British use to describe being dumb-founded -- gobsmacked. I was completely and totally gobsmacked and in a state of awe when I heard her account of her "visit" to the other side. If that were not enough of a miracle, Anita came back into her cancer-wracked body with a new knowledge that put her into total remission. She fought cancer for four long years and was completely wasted physically, only to recover completely in a matter of weeks following her NDE.

In both her writing style and her personal verbal accounting, Anita has a skill and dexterity with the English language that I admire and am grateful for, and even somewhat envious of. That may sound frivolous, but I have respect for people who respect me as a reading audience. Her prose descriptions of her super-real, heightened state of awareness, while she was completely unconscious in a coma, just transfixed me; like good poetry or philosophy. Her vocabulary to explain her experiences is simply the most refined, observant and sentient I have ever read. What was completely new to me was how she described the "other side" as being liminal and not really another place. It is a state of being, a feeling of magnificence, as she called it. I have taken her lessons learned to heart, myself.

The best thing about this book is it's emotional honesty. I loved reading about her family - how supportive they were to the very effective end. I know that I'll probably read this book again many times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful story -- Grateful to author, March 20, 2012
Sharon Lynn (California, USA) - See all my reviews
I've been on a quest to figure out as much as I can about the afterlife ever since I lost my teenage son. I search books, videos, blogs, etc., to read about NDE's in particular, since it gives me a glimpse of what my child might have experienced and continues to experience. Late one night, as I was scanning YouTube for NDE's (yeah, I do that!) I found an interview with Anita Moorjani. I was blown away. The healing she had after the NDE solidified the truth of what she experienced and learned while in a spiritual consciousness state. I couldn't wait for her book and eagerly read it when it came out and pre-ordered several copies for gifts. Everyone I've given it to has had a similar reaction to mine -- simply amazing.

Anita has the medical science test results which prove the miraculous healing after she awoke from her coma. The test reports and results are not photocopied and detailed at length in the book, but if you doubt her sincerity and want to read medical reports prior to believing her story, then you may visit her website and you'll find she offers up as much as possible in the way of medical evidence, (videos and radio interviews with doctors, etc.) Needing this physical proof reminds me of the doubting Thomas in the Bible. Thomas would only believe it was really Jesus if he could see and feel the physical marks.

I've read many, many miraculous healings during my lifetime, as I seek them out whenever I can. It is easy to see that Anita is speaking truthfully from the heart and has written this book to help others. Her motive is pure and she tries to word her experience to stay true to what she experienced instead of slanting it with any particular religious or personal/ego driven view. Even when she is being interviewed, you can hear the hesitation in her voice as she tries to find the correct words to convey the message without tainting it with any personal interpretation. I truly appreciate her efforts to keep her experience true to how she understood the event.

If this is your first time reading about the afterlife or an NDE, get ready to expand your mind beyond what the physical senses are dictating. If you think this limited physical life is all that exists, you may not be able to glean all the lessons in store for you in Ms. Moorjani's writing.

Self-love is a big message in her book. At first glance, it may seem a rather selfish way of living. Do what feels good to you--Anita challenges us to view this message from a DEEPER perspective than just a surface view which will, of course, appear selfish. A deeper view makes you question, how can one truly love another without loving themselves first? And, how will you know what your life's passion is all about, if you don't know what makes you feel good? Question your motives, your intents--the real reason you're doing something. Learn what is shallow, selfish, and material driven. And, learn what is joyous, pure, and love driven. If it's your purpose to be your true self here in this lifetime, as Ms. Moorjani suggests, then we had better get in touch with that "true" self.

I personally thank Anita Moorjani for the courage it takes to write such a personal account. I hope she knows how many people she is helping and comforting. I trust she will be able to deflect the few negative or doubting comments written about her experience, since she knows what happened to her is true. I recently had the pleasure to listen to Anita share her experience at a seminar in California. Her humbleness and sincerity were more than apparent.

We're all heading the same direction --basically no one is getting outta' here 'alive'. Keep an open mind and you'll appreciate the wonderful journey Anita Moorjani experienced and has so lovingly shared in her writings. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Anita, for sharing your story. It has brought a lot of comfort to me personally, as I imagine my dear, sweet son being in such a loving environment as you described. Continue to live fearlessly!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing!, January 28, 2012
I am almost at a loss for words. Reading Dying to Be Me was a beautiful profound experience. This book is SO potent. Absolutely brilliant, moving and inspirational. It is written in a way that is easy to read, it flows well, and it has the power to change lives for the sublimely better. I can not recommend it enough. I agree with Dr Wayne Dyer: If you only read one book this year you should make it [Dying to Be Me]!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an important book!, January 30, 2012
I had the pleasure of reading Anita's book after hearing her speak in Sydney, Australia at the end of January. Her NDE experience is profound. The wisdom she shares is life changing. And the energy with which she communicates her message is the most compelling example of what it means to know - really know - the truth about life. Her presence is her message and everyone would benefit from reading this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, March 14, 2012
Dying to Be Me by Anita Moorjani is an interesting account of a young woman's near death experience and it's significance to the rest of her life. It's a short little book but hardly a "quick read" with some profound insights into the impact of our thinking on our life and health. Ms. Moorjani reveals much about her early life experiences and development of her thinking process from childhood as a prelude to her account of her life changing experience with cancer, dying and returning to living. One of her earliest memories was overhearing an adult conversation expressing the disappointment in having a female child. During her early years as a child in Hong Kong she was the object of rejection and bullying in the private schools she attended because of her Indian looks and Hindu religion and suffered feelings of rejection and fear. She developed a strong character and determination to be as perfect as possible in order to please as many people as she could and excelled in her studies and aspired to go to college. She resisted her cultural path to become a skilled housewife in an arranged marriage and was rejected by her community in spite of the support of her family. She finally met the man of her dreams who embraced her independence and was part of the Indian community in Hong Kong. After a brief period of peace and comfort her best friend and brother-in-law were diagnosed and after lengthy and agonizing chemotherapy, succumbed to cancer. Her fears returned with a vengeance and culminated in her own diagnosis of lymphoma. The next four years were a living hell of fear and anxiety with the exception of a brief respite in India at an Ayurveda retreat. When she returned home she was greatly improved but the benefit was short lived when she encountered the negativity of her friends and family and within a few months she was rushed to the hospital unable to breathe or even lift her own head and soon lapsed into a coma. While unconscious she had her life changing experience which ultimately resulted in her decision to return to her physical form for a total healing of her disease and a completely new perspective on her life and left in the universe as a whole. This book must be read with an open mind and heart in order to receive the message and benefit the author intends for the reader to hear. This is a book capable of changing the reader's life, and the author's epiphany, if embraced by the reader, could result in a more peaceful and healthier existence for all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps the best book about a near-death experience -- ever!, April 2, 2012
A book review should concentrate on the book, not the reviewer, but in this case I think it would be appropriate to say a few things about myself at the outset - things that make me, if not unique, then at least rare among the other reviewers of this book. First of all, I have been researching and writing about near-death experiences (NDEs) since 1977. During that time, I have personally interviewed or talked extensively with hundreds of near-death experiencers and have dozens of autobiographical accounts of such persons in my own library. I have also written a number of books on NDEs and scores of articles on the subject. In addition, I have had the pleasure, and indeed the privilege, of spending several hours with the author, Anita Moorjani, of the book under review here. So I think I know something about the subject of NDEs.

That said, I am prepared to say that Dying to be Me is perhaps the most compelling, insightful and deeply moving rendering of an NDE I have encountered over the past 35 years. It is a book that not only tells an incredibly gripping story of an NDE and the healing from a disease that seemed destined to be fatal, but one that also offers a great deal of spiritual and practical wisdom that the author derived from her experience during her otherworldly sojourn.

I haven't read any of the sixty of so reviews of this book (though I noticed that they are overwhelmingly of the 5-star variety), but I'm sure many of them must already inform the reader of the book's contents. I have no need to be redundant on that score here, but for the record, Moorjani, a woman of Indian heritage, grew up in the multi-cultural setting of Hong Kong, eventually contracted cancer, suffered with it for four years and by February, 2006, was taken to a hospital and given no chance to survive the night. However, when she was on the brink of death, she had an extraordinarily powerful NDE, which she recounts with impressive articulateness, and knew in the moment of her experience that she would be healed. Indeed, that she would be completely cured. As in fact she was, to the stupefaction of her oncologists. (All is this documented in the book.) Her life has not been the same since.

Eventually, her story came to the attention of the well-known author, Wayne Dyer, who was so riveted by Anita's account that he spared no effort to track her down and once he did, he told her that she must write a book about her story and he would see to it that it would get published. He did and it did and within a month of its publication, it had deservedly become a best seller.

What more do I need to say? Anita Moorjani is the real deal. Her book is destined to become not only the best seller it already is but a classic among books on NDEs. It will inspire you, thrill you, bring you comfort and bring you joy. You will be deeply touched in so many ways by this book. What are you waiting for?

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read but could be trouble for some., March 13, 2012
I have read this book with some sense of awe, curiosity and some kind of skepticism. The book is very well written and goes deep in the experience of Anita Moorjani and her struggles to fit in a place where she definitively does not belong. Her experience as an Indian lady living in Hong Kong under strong Chinese and British influence & trying to cope with Hindu religion and customs explain very well the struggles of any foreigner trying to fit in. I can testify that myself.

She attributes her cancer to her inner fears and the fear to the disease. Her NDA experience while kind of traditional (unconditional love, peace, that cannot be explain by words and a sense to belong to a enhanced reality with no time in the way we understand it is kind of typical) what is not traditional at all is her astonishing and complete recovery from cancer.

People having this disease and the readers usually looking for answer to our existential or physical struggles could be kind of disappointed that Anita does not provide a "recipe" for everyone to be cured or saved.
For one simple reason; her experience is unique, her struggles very particular and because her reflections are simple. For some reason we seem to struggle to follow simple ideas even though if they are powerful. The basic "Advice" is to be yourself (How many times our elders have told us that!) enjoy your life, accept yourself, who you are and don't be that hard with yourself. Let go because we live with the illusion that we are in control while we all know that we control almost nothing. Things will happen and all we can do is to accept it and even far beyond enjoyed...

you will find all over the book the idea that you are a unique human being and the fact that you have the spark of life it is a testament of your own divinity. We struggle to look for answers and usually we look for them "outward" in others; experts, gurus, friends, etc while most of those answers reside within ourselves "inwards" we feel inadequate, not good enough, a failure, especially if we live our lives trying to please others a task that nobody has ever done and never will, we compite instead of let go and go with the flow.

Some people will find troubling that according to her experience even criminals, murderers, and rapist will share that "unconditional love" the day they will die. That there is not such a thing as a judgment because that universal unconditional love just want you to be yourself and in the big scheme of things you are a little trace in the tapestry of a reality that expands far beyond our intellectual knowledge, with knowledge we cannot grasp that reality we have to "Feel it".

People with a structure religious belief could feel an aversion to that idea.
We have been told that we should comply with the rules and that breaking the rules have consequences. Those consequences according to catholic or Christian faiths leads to eternal condemnation in hell or purgatory or keep running through an endless cycle of birth and rebirth in the Hindu/Buddhist tradition.

The truth is the sun - every morning - will shine for all of us even for the murderers and the criminals. The book also copes well with an idea that is troubling even to myself - be selfish in your love for yourself-. We have been told that sacrifices, helping others and put others ahead of us is something worthy and noble. In the book almost in every chapter lies the idea of that "Selfish love for yourself" because according to the author that's what you should do, be yourself and provide that divine entity with the essence of what you are. When you stop pretending being somebody else then the universe through "synchronicities" will provide you with all the opportunities that you deserve. You have to live your life fearlessly and authentically. Even though I don't share the particular view of being that "Selfish" - at least not yet - I find the book interesting, refreshing and inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Planet-Quaking Thunderclap: Paradigm Shift for the Near Death Experience, March 7, 2012
This is, in my opinion, the best book ever published in the English language (and I suspect any language) of a single near death experience. It may also be one of the most important books ever published on the way we treat and view ourselves. I have known the author personally for several years, but the above statement (and others like it below) are not a result of this. Rather, the exact reverse is the case: Anita's scintillating honesty, her authenticity on all aspects of her experience, the love and integrity of commitment between Anita and Danny (her husband) who saw her through the entire ordeal of cancer, her compassion and care for the healing of others through the self-realizing of their own Magnificence, her intelligent, playful, wholesomely un-guru-like personality in the wake of such an extraordinary event having happened to a human being, is precisely what generated the friendship. When I had a most difficult and delicate personal issue to deal with a few years ago, I chose Anita to confide in, even though we had not known each other very long. I disclose this fact only to illustrate how highly I rate this person's integrity and authenticity.

Those who know me on the NDE circuit know that I can also be a real stickler for evidence in the claims made for remarkable experiences (on this issue, more below), but with Anita it was just, purely and simply, never an issue. There is something about this kind of sincerity and honesty that just shines straight through, by the shortest path, like rays beaming through a stained glass window. I knew it. I saw it. And like the rays through the window, no one needed to say "we need to do some research to see if that is sunlight."

Anita is not a saint or an Ascended Master. I believe she would be horrified to be regarded as either. She is a real human being, not a Levitating Adept. She can be funny, silly, and just too plain fond of chocolate and ice cream, like the rest of us. In fact, I'm not yet *entirely* convinced that she didn't come back from the other side just for the ice cream...but that's another story.

Okay, so to the book. We've come a long way since Dante's Inferno haven't we? Sinners punished in an obsessive and disturbingly peculiar hierarchy of levels, each described in a kind of manic, fascinated detail (this is the Inferno, of course). Anita's book is like the absolute antipodes of the `Inferno'. Instead of a world in which we are already corrupt, fallen, sinful, begging for salvation, stamped on the foreheads with cosmic wrongness from the moment of our birth, Dying To Be Me inverts this picture and says no, that's all wrong. We are not miserable, "sinful", imperfect fleshly contraptions groveling at the divine chair for admission and redemption, in the hope that some pittance of grace will be tossed our way like pennies showered from the gloved and complacent hand of some passing monarch. Rather we ARE the divine, both occupant and chair, as well as tapestries, draperies, and the entire royal chamber. We don't need to seek grace because we are the grace that we seek. We don't need to hunt down, Sherlock Holmes style, the light of the divine, because the very act of arduous seeking blinds us to noticing ourselves as a powerful source of emission. This is Anita's message. How could we ever have fallen, before, for such a dysfunctional and crippling view of life and the cosmos? As if universal force creates us to pity us? To crush us down? To emphasize our smallness? The central message of this book is that we should simply *allow* the essential nature that nature herself intends for us.

For myself, the section on Anita's younger years in Hong Kong really helped fill in some blanks and bring to life the whole picture for me. Everything from eating at the Bladerunner-esque Dai Pai Dong in the street, to sipping tea from little cups with tigers or dragons on them, to the vivid depiction of the `hungry ghost festival" and leaving empty seats at the dinner table for the famished dead. More importantly, based on what I hear in this section, it now seems a lot more evident to me, from the patterns she discloses of her childhood, that her fear really was a principal causal factor in her illness. You can sense its systemic presence through all the chapters of her childhood; it is there always, like a crouching bear, this sense of inadequacy, of trying constantly to measure up to essentially impossible and unreasonable standards, and of course (at that stage of life) failing.

Turning to the issue of evidence, I don't think it is the most important thing in this case, but it is important enough in the subject at large, I feel, that I would like to mention it. The field of near death research is not without its problems. There are bogus experiences in circulation. Claims of medical events that evaporate when the least investigative pressure is brought to bear on them. These claims subtly (or not so subtly) undermine accounts like Anita's, because the public and the endless ranks of armchair experts, a nontrivial portion of which would still dearly like to dismiss ALL these experiences as not worth the paper they are printed on, are apt to tar all with the one brush. Well, the present account is not one of these. In fact, in terms of medical evidence presented, again even though I don't consider it the most important element of Anita's experience by far, it simply does not get any better than this in a published volume. The places and the doctors involved are named in the text. A full, detailed report written by a cancer specialist is included in the text. This is the only published near death experience I have seen, anywhere, EVER, that has got this right, and I have taken the trouble to make myself familiar with the great majority of them. The only comparison that even approaches was the case of Pam Reynolds, but that did not involve an anomalous healing. The evidential status of Anita Moorjani's case is singular and impeccable.

The cancer reversal is (in our worldly thinking anyway) the most remarkable aspect of Anita's story. The aforementioned cancer specialist had this to say in his report:

**minor spoiler alert**
"Based on my own experience and opinions of several colleagues, I am unable to attribute her dramatic recovery to her chemotherapy. Based on what we have learned about cancer cell behaviors, I speculate that something (non-physical..."information"?) either switched off the mutated genes from expressing, or signaled them to a programmed cell death. The exact mechanism is unknown to us, but not likely to be the result of cytotoxic drugs."

I have some background in biology, and genetics, and it is scarcely possible to overemphasize the significance of what is being said in this statement. But here's the problem: just another "medical fixit" is not going to solve this conundrum. There is *not going to be* an undiscovered protocol, a daring surgical procedure, a new type of scanner, an inrush of nanobots, a new cocktail of drugs worthy of being shaken and stirred by Tom Cruise...that is going to solve this matter. Because Anita was healed, self-healed, by direct unobstructed agency of the same universal life principle acting in her and through her, as gave rise to genes and bodies and doctors in the first place. All attempts to hunt the snark down other rabbit holes will finally lead to frustration. That was the "information" provided to the system. When Anita's consciousness was aligned in the native state with this universal source of life, aligned like Atman-Brahman, she said "I/We want to live", and since it was the universe itself that was saying it, there could scarcely be any dissenters.

Once that happened, what took place in the cells of the body was merely like "handing a clerk some forms to sign." The miracle was not that she was healed. Nothing short of a miracle, either on this earth or off it, could have *stopped* her from being healed.

This is the secret passage that medicine needs to explore, with humility and sincerity, if it really wants to deepen its potency for the ability to heal. Medicine has had its successes, and we should applaud those successes, but the fact is, even in a simple case such as bone-knitting, that nature does the healing, and we simply help to clear its path. That doesn't mean that we can't do anything. It doesn't mean there aren't intriguing possibilities and new directions to explore. But it does mean that just another mechanism, just another medicine, is not going to cut it. If the cause is in a high level (meaning-rich) expression or thwarted expression of the life principle, colloquially what we call the "spiritual", then messing around with pharmaceuticals and high tech instruments will be like trying to get rid of political corruption by deleting names from the telephone book.

Anita's particular cancer seems to have had this kind of cause. Now we live in a complex world of multifactorial causes. No one, and I'm sure Anita would agree with this, should conclude that the same cause holds in every case. BUT, even in those other cases, with different causes, such as ageing, exposure to radiation, or even other diseases altogether, so much unexpected light may in the future be shed even on those cases by open-minded pursuit of this type of case, that a whole-hearted exploration is more than worth the doing. There is more to all this than just some new age fad. In the fifties, a boy was cured, by treatment with hypnosis, of congenital icthyosiform erythroderma of Brocq, a hideous condition capable of causing almost total skin coverage of hard, horned scale (icthyosis). There's a thread here. The consciousness cannot be left out of the picture, not if we really want to get to grips with this. And this is surely the most important direction in which Anita's account should launch us: how others can also be brought to this kind of healing. But it is not just the technique that will have to change; it is the people behind the gloves...and this is not a concept that Western Medics are used to.

I was also glad of the way that Anita placed the emphasis on this life, and not the "afterlife". Although not everyone will agree with me here, I think another signal breakthrough of Anita's case, and her book, is that it begins to wrest the near death experience away from the somewhat clammy hands of the "life after death" brigade, with which it has "too long languished", to coin a phrase. Again, the message of Anita's experience is not some hurried affair in which we frown our way through life as quickly as possible, like so many grim commuters with the brims of our hats pulled down low against the rain, in order to get to some promised land "elsewhere". Life, the universal creative principle, is pouring itself in to *this* world, to this universe, to the now. It is pouring itself IN, with passion, with vigor, not OUT. On this point I agree with Anita absolutely, and it has been my own view for a long time. "The main show" as the author states it, is "here", not "there". This doesn't mean that an extraordinary state or harmony and fulfillment is impossible. It simply means that we have been too hasty (as the Ents would say) in assuming that life was seeking it, building it, elsewhere, and not right here in the universe of action and expression. I think, myself, that this offers a much healthier vision of the near death experience, and Anita's experience may signal a turning point in the way that said experience is glossed and understood in society. Rather than a portal to a realm that is in some sense an idealized continuation of our human life, experiences such as Anita's suggest more that the near death event is a kind of interface between the dynamic, active, expressing realm of being (the "here") and the underlying Fundament or potential which is the high octane source behind it all. But the Fundament isn't satisfied just being potential. It wants to be active, it wants to express, it wants the "here". Thus Anita, the universe as Anita, realized not only that she wanted to come back, but that it was good to come back; it was good and joyous to express again as Anita Moorjani. In a sense, the needy hankering after an afterlife, like all needy hankering, short-circuits this joyousness. We need to trust that the Fundament is simply always there. It's not going anywhere. We will always be it.

I don't agree with absolutely everything that Anita says. For instance, the commentary on rapists and murderers was not particularly convincing to me, for reasons I won't indulge to go into here. But I don't think Anita would mind this. As I say, she is not a guru and I suggest that people don't treat her as such. She does not have the answer to everything, nor should she be expected to. That's a bit too much responsibility for one person! And after all, one of the very reasons we may all be different is precisely because each one of us is capable of bringing unique contributions, and insights, to the structure of existence and this magical (though admittedly sometimes confounding) thing called life.

However, that is a minor matter. I do in fact agree with the great majority of what Anita says, a situation that I can honestly say has occurred only about two or three times in forty years of reading.

Make no mistake. You will count on the fingers of one hand the number of times a book like this, an opportunity like this, presents itself to you in your lifetime. I won't quite go so far as to say that you should drop everything and read this book. No wait: actually, I *will* go that far...you should drop everything and read this book. No, really. I'm not kidding. No...REALLY, I'm not kidding. I am extremely selective in what I choose to endorse, and this is, without qualification, my biggest endorsement ever. I'm even slightly embarrassed because it is so out of character for me. Anita is not in this for the money. But from me to you, for the few dollars you spend on this book, I personally guarantee you that it will repay its value one hundred fold before you even reach the back cover. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I am proud to call Anita Moorjani my friend. And I am profoundly glad she is in the world...first for Danny, and secondly for the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicately articulated with strength, March 5, 2012
As other reviewers have said, this is a life-changing book. Anita uses a delicate articulation to describe her experience in the afterlife which lead to an understanding of the Universe.
I feel complete after reading this book with no desire to continue reading other versions on the same topic. Just beautiful, thought-provoking and path-changing.

Dying to Be Me