on May 26, 2013
Verified Purchase
I was a little hesitant to purchase this grill, and initally thought I'd need to spend +/- $800 for a very good grill. Not so!

Before purchasing, I checked this out on consumer reports. It seemed to have a lower than average rating, but I couldn't figure out why.

Having had this a few months, I'd buy another one. This heats up quickly, has solid cast-iron grates, is fairly easy to clean, and very predictable cooking zones. I've cooked steaks, chicken, corn on the cob and other veggies on this, all to the delight of my family. The side burner is a nice bonus, something we use when we don't want to heat up the whole kitchen or when cooking something with strong smells. I spent 20-30 hours doing research before making this purchase, and it paid off.

Assembly took about an hour. I found the directions easy to understand and follow.

Update - October 30th 2013

OK, I've used this for the whole season now. For a few months, I was grilling 3-4 times per week. It has held up well, gets hot quickly and is easy (for a BBQ, anyway) to clean. I do notice that the left side tends to run a little bit cooler than the right, but that is easily adjusted. Grates have held up well and are for the most part rust free. It does seem to run through gas a little faster than I'm used to, but not so much that I wouldn't buy it again. I bought a cover and have always had it protected when not in use. This has made a difference in how it's held up, I'm sure. Side burner has been great - no need to heat up the kitchen in the summer. I boiled a dozen eggs in a large pot and the side burner worked great for that task.

I'm still pleasantly surprised - I was sure that I'd be spending $600-$800 for a new grill.
on April 23, 2013
Verified Purchase
Assembly was was pretty straight forward. My 11 year old son and I put it together in an evening...not sure total time. Directions were good and it was not complicated.

Looks very nice, very happy with that aspect. Quality of parts seems good. I also like the iron grates vs the thinner metal ones on my Weber Genesis that have started to rust through (again). Yes, I know you can get iron for the Weber as well. I had my 3 burner Weber for over 10 years and it gave excellent service. Probably should've have ponied up the $700 to get another but decided to take a shot. I read too much about other cheaper brands rusting out quickly. Not much info on Dyna-Glo grills but I found good reviews of their propane heaters so thought maybe they make a quality product and bought this grill for 1/2 the price of a new Weber. Inside of the lid of my Weber has been peeling paint for a few years, have to scrape and clean the flakes regularly. I noticed this one has unpainted steel on the underside so no potential for the same issue (can't recall if ss or galvanized...not going outside to look!).

This puppy gets hot!!! Actually almost too hot. Items cook very fast and there is a bit of an issue with flare-ups off what on a Weber grill would be called the "flavorizer bars". The metal that the grease hits after dripping off the meat. I am hoping this diminishes with time and crust build-up.

If you pre-heat on high and then toss your meat on it is way too hot for most things. I scorched my first few attempts. Now I preheat high, toss on the meat, leave on high very briefly to sear, and then turn all the way down to low to cook. There is no such thing as cooking anything slow on this grill even on low.

Amazingly, everything that has come off this grill in the last month or so, even the first few scorched meals, have been tender and juicy on the inside. I guess the high heat really locks in the juices even if you overdo the outside a bit.

This is a 5 star grill if not for the flare-ups and if the "low" setting was a little lower. If will report back if the flare-ups improve with time.

Finally, the Classic Accessories Veranda Cart-Style BBQ Cover in size medium fits this grill perfectly. Quality cover but no idea why it is light tan/almost white. I sprayed it with silicone waterproofing to try to slow down the inevitable dirt staining this will get being the color it is. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HCNEWM/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UPDATE OCT 2014 - See comments for a few new notes. I also updated the cover review that is linked above...it developed a rip at 1 1/2 years...still pretty much usable, but a bummer nonetheless.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 3, 2013
Verified Purchase
The first thing that struck me about this grill is the solid components it is made out of. Very high quality parts. I have used it a couple times so far and it performs very well, gets hot FAST!

One thing to note, this is a higher BTU grill than the variety you would likely get for the same price at Sears or Home Depot. That means that it will pull the propane out of the tank at a higher rate. Propane tanks usually have a safety valve that cuts off the flow if it feels a sudden surge going through. This gave me a bit of a scare at first until I read in the instructions about it. Just turn everything back off. Wait a couple minutes so it resets, then slowly turn everything on little by little and you will be able to get everything out of the tank that the grill is wanting.

This does have the negative side effect of draining propane tanks faster but penalizing the grill for that would be like penalizing an Olympic runner for wearing out his shoes quicker than most people.

I definitely recommend this grill if you are looking for something better than the grills at Sears, but don't feel like shelling out thousands of dollars for a Webber.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 10, 2013
Verified Purchase
I wanted a Weber. Then I saw the $700 price tag. I had no idea how exhausting finding a decent grill would be. Everytime I found one with the features I wanted, I would read reviews about how it either burned everything, never got hot, or turned to a pile of rust within a year. Then I stumbled on this Dyna-Glo, which was the right size, had the features I was looking for, and was at a more reasonable price point.

The quality seems very good for the price. The assembly went well; everything lined up and it was well packaged with no damaged parts. It's solid once assembled and the fit and finish is very good. A couple of nice features are locking casters, a double-lined lid to keep in heat, and a nice, large thermometer.

The first use last night was with cod, chicken, and corn on the cob. During the 15 minute initial cleaning cycle, it got to about 700 degrees with all burners on high. Once cooking, the heating was very even; I didn't notice any areas that were dramatically hotter or colder than others. The cast iron cooking grates worked well, although I wish they were a little thicker and spaced more closely so that fish and items like that had less tendancy to try to fall through. The one thing I did notice is that the thermometer seemed to read a little high. Maybe it was correct, but at 375 or so, the fish took a long time to cook. I turned it up a little (the knobs are very sensitive!) and it cooked much better. I haven't used a grill with a thermometer, so it's probably just a learning curve for me.

After cooking, it heated up enough to burn everything off, so cleaning was just a quick wire brushing and an exterior wipedown. I can't say how well everything will hold up, but even the Weber had rust issues with the heat tents (flavorizers), so I don't expect it to be totally rust free it's whole life. Judging by the quality of the finish, I think it will hold up pretty well. Having spent a few bucks on a cover will also hopefully extend the life some.

All in all, this is a nice grill with a good set of features and seemingly good quality for about half the price of a comparable Weber. Don't get me wrong, if this one craps out and I can swing it in the future, I'll buy the Weber, but for now the Dyna-Glo is a nice alternative.

*UPDATE* 07/22/13 -- I've cooked several items on this grill now and it works very well, but I will say that with all 4 burners on, if the grill isn't loaded with food, it can get too hot even on low. If you're only cooking a few items, lighting just 2 of the burners seems to work much better. It will still heat up well and it will give you the option of cooking directly over the heat or moving things so that they cook with indirect heat.
on October 2, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought this product less than a year ago. At first, I was happy with the build, the look & the design. Then, after use, some things made me not impressed & I could agree with many of the other negative reviews on Amazon.

#1: I do not like the fixed, stationary top grill. It would be nice if it moved up when opening the lid. Being in a fixed position makes 1/3 of the back of the bottom grill hard to use. I found that you can lift the front portion of the top grill to lock into place, but it is not designed to do that. It just bends the frame that holds the grill.
#2: Someone made a comment about a gas leak. Looking back at it, it had the same issue. I went through two propane tanks in less than a month. I'm very particular about closing the main valve of the propane tank after use. I knew that I should have not been burning through propane that fast. There must be something wrong.
#3: Less than a year & propably 20 uses, the two middle burners blew out in the back section. Meaning that the pin holes of the burner failed and somehow enlarged. These two burners now shoot larger flames near the back. This leads me to beleive that the bunners are crap. I remember buying a Charbroil grill & I had to replace the burner every two years or so. Then I got a Weber. Totally impressed with the Weber because the original burner lasted over 12 years before deteriorating. I should have just got a new Weber, but I wanted to test someting different with the Dyna-Glo. Huge $400 mistake.
#4: I looked for support on-line to replace the burners. I only found U-shaped burner, not straight burners that I have. I checked for any warranties on Amazon. I guess it was only for 30-60 days. I told myself, why would I even want to replace the burners if they do not even last for longer than a year. I guess it's best to lick my wounds & chaulk this up to experience.

Very disappointing product. You have been warned.

************
As a follow up, the company did contact me & replaced the entire unit & sent me a $50 gift card to cover building expenses. I re-built the new one and have used it a few times since. So far, so good. I'll have to report back once a few months go by. I'm not sure if the first one I recieved was just a lemon. I'm posting this at the request of a few comments below. Stay tuned....
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 21, 2013
Verified Purchase
This is a very good performing grill
Ok, so first of all, how do you choose a grill... Let me start by saying is has to get very hot, very fast, and char my food without burning it. This grill accomplishes those goals with ease. Essentially, you want a 4 burner grill. The equivalent in a Weber is much more expensive ($300 more). This is my third grill in 3 years. My first was a Charbroil infrared which was frustratingly slow to heat the food (2 burners). I can not imagine it was top rated by consumer reports. My second grill was a Weber (2 burners) which was slow to heat up and did not climb over 450 degrees. I likely would still have it if hurricane Sandy didn't take it. Since I was forced to replace the grill I wanted something which would heat up fast and after reading reviews, I chose Dyna-Glo. I am extremely pleased with my purchase. It is sturdy, performs very well, cooks great, and costs $300 less than the equivalent 4 burner Weber.

Addendum:
At the end of last season, one of the burners was partially rusted out. By the second or third grilling of this season, 3 of the four burners are totally rotted out. I called the company and they are going to replace all 4 burners, but they are currently on back-order. Please save yourself some money and buy a better quality grill. Also, the cast iron grates are about 50% rotted.
on December 4, 2013
Verified Purchase
I spent about 6 months looking for a replacement grill for my 12 year grill. My wife really want me to get something last spring but my old grill was still functioning so I didn't see a rush to get one. She was going to buy a new one for and really didn't care how much one would cost. I do want to say, that I find it amazing that anyone would would spend $800 or more for a grill, unless it came with a built-in beer tapper.

I read countless reviews. I looked at countless grills at Lowes, Menards, Target....then I started looking online, naturally at Amazon. My research on Amazon led me pretty quickly to the Dyna-Glo series of grills. Obviously the pricing was much more in line with want I to spend on a grill. The overall reviews were pretty good though their were some downside comments that I took under consideration. So I'll recap what I have experienced with buying this grill:

1. The packaging was simply amazing. The level of protection and the care in which the parts were safeguarded was about as good as it could be. Took me about an hour to unpack everything and organize the parts for assemble.

2. The assembly process took under 2 hours. Using a cordless driver helps alot and being to work on the assembly at workbench level made alot of the early assembly steps quite easy.

3. Many comments concerning with the "flimsiness of the grill". Well, yes, you can't stand on the darn thing. Its not a step stool but its plenty rigid enough that you can move it all around on the casters without fear. Understand that this is not a $1000 grill.

4. The grill is "painted"....well yes it is but its a "powdered coated" which is as superior of metal finish you can have for exterior exposures. And yes, you must avoid scratching the surface just like you would avoid scratching your car paint. There a a few edges where the powder coating wasn't up to snuff, but it was an edge and it was covered by the grill top. Also, understand this is not a $1000 grill.

5. There is a gap along the backside of the gill top. This does allow alot of the heat to escape but most grills have this gap for exhaust baffle and I admit it seems to be overly large and I do plan on fitting in a piece of sheet metal for a closure strip.

6. Once I installed my gas cylinder and placed the battery in the electric igniter, the grill burners all started up flawlessly. This baby can put out the heat and it took the temp gauge upto 500deg in a few minutes. I gotta say the electric igniter was a welcome accessory of the grill as I always hated the manual pushbutton ones that would last a year, maybe.

7. The cast iron grills appear to be very sufficient. The burner controls operate very well. The upper rack easily flips out of the way if needed and is easily removable.

8. I installed an universal rotisserie which went without hitch. I haven't had one in 25 years or so.

At this point I haven't grilled anything yet but based on all of the above I had to give this thing 5 stars....its not a $1000 grill but I feel that it is.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 2, 2013
Verified Purchase
The is a sturdy grill and I hope it lasts. It is not made in America, but what is now days. I do like the grill, I just hope I can say that next year. Overall more than I expected for the price.
on April 29, 2013
Verified Purchase
Easy to put together, easy to follow directions, heats QUICKLY. cooks evenly for the handful of times I've used it. Sturdy construction, interested to see how it holds up long term
on October 1, 2014
Verified Purchase
Sweet mother! I've had this for over a year now. I cookout year-round, rain or shine, snow or heat.

Pro: Heats up fast and gets incredibly hot!
Cons: Takes sometime to figure out how to work with the extreme heat it generates. Temperature gauge fell off about a month after I purchased it. Gas flow is very hard to regulate - either full afterburner or almost off.

My opinion: If you cook out a lot, then the issues with regulating the gas will not be that big of a deal and you will cook some great meals. However, if you grill-out infrequently, then you might find keeping a good working temp a bit difficult to do.

One other thing: It has yet to rust. I do have a really good cover but, compared to other grills I've owned, this one seems to be the most rust resistant.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations