5.0 out of 5 stars Terriffic Grill
Was looking to replace my 15yr old Weber, and wanted a 4 or 5 burner, but couldn't afford over a Grand for a new one so... I did a LOT of shopping around and research online. Turns out, just about anything under $500 or so either doesn't get very hot, or turns to rust in a year or two. I checked out models from Sears, Lowes, and Home-Depot

I came across this...
Published 16 months ago by E. Hiney

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not burn hot enough.
Published 10 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Terriffic Grill, April 28, 2013
This review is from: Dyna-Glo DGE Series Propane Grill, 5 Burner, Bronze (Lawn & Patio)

I came across this new model online and decided to take a chance due to the rave reviews of Dyna-Glo's other products. And also really likes what I could see in all the online pictures.

Pros:
- Packaging: I was very impressed with how well this product came packed in the box. Every part individually packed. Not a ding or scratch to be found
- Instructions: Very well written. Easy to follow. Took me & my son about an hour.
- Construction: Appears to be made of quality materials; very will built. Everything fits nicely together; like it should. No flimsy materials.
- The slide-out holder for the propane tank is a REALLY NICE feature. Most grills you have to wrench yourself into a pretzel to take the tank into/out-of the doors. Also makes it easy for opening / closing the valve.
- The Slide-out grease-tray... on some other brands this does not slide-out, forcing you to take apart the Grill just to clean it.
- Burners: They get Very Hot, Very Quickly
- Design: Plenty of depth... what I mean is, some grills have the Warming Rack not far above the grates; this makes it tough to flip burgers. Not a problem here. Some grills also have the grease pan not far below the burner; creating flare-ups. Not a problem here. Just cooked Chicken & Burgers with NO flareups.
- Price: Paid $435 from Amazon (no shipping or sales tax). Would have been another $100 from HomeDepot.com

Cons:
- My only complaint is that the back of the lid has about a 2" opening for the length of the grill. On my old Weber, there was no opening. This was closed, creating a very hot Grill area. On this Grill, you can feel an enormous amount of heat escaping through the back opening. Can't imagine why they did that. Because of this, you will never see the Temp Gauge go over 450 degrees, maybe 500 if all 5 burners on high. Thinking of fabricating some kind of panel (sheetmetal ?) to enclose the back. Will let you know how that works out.

*** UPDATE ***
I fixed the problem of all the heat escaping out the back. I cut a 2" metal strip and screwed it into the back of the grill opening. Turn it on and it goes up to 700 degrees in about 10min. I turn 1 burner Off, put the rest on Low, and it maintains 550. Finally the Front of the grill now is just as hot as the Back. Now I'm satisfied....

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice Grill - But, has several parts that are NOT stainless, August 28, 2013
Like other reviewers I did quite a bit of reading on pros and cons of grills prior to purchasing this DynaGlo grill. Consumer Reports gave it an OK rating overall. For me, it's replacing a grill that is entirely stainless steel including the base/cabinet, etc.

A few things to consider:
1. There is a pretty big hole in the back of the grill where the lid meets the base. Another review mentions this and that owner devised a way to cover it. Prior to addressing this issue, I ran the grill for 15 minutes to determine how hot it would get. About 650 degrees. I then bought an Aluminum Kickplate for a door from Homedepot and cut it down to an an upside down L and installed it on the lid to cover the hole. The grill got to OVER 700 degrees in about 8 minutes. I am sure it's fine without this modification, but I prefer high temps for searing.
2. The pictures make this grill appear to be ALL stainless steel, including the base/cabinet. However, that is not the case. The base/cabinet is silver painted steel. The doors have decorative stainless around the edges, but the face is painted brown (not stainless). This is fairly obvious from the pictures, but you should know that those brown panels are NOT stainless.
3. The inside of the grill is not stainless. The bottom part where the burners are is a dark color painted steel. I imagine it will eventually rust.
4. The decorative Bronze painted panels for the lid and doors will rust. Despite being covered with a grill cover and placed under a covered lanai, my lid began rusting within 4 days. I think this is partially my fault but anyone could do it VERY easily. The handle has two "washers" that separate the handle from the face of the lid. The edges of these washers are sharp. Tightening the screws down on the handle even a little too much will cause these sharp edges to puncture the paint and the lid will then rust very FAST. Be very careful about scratching these surfaces and over-tightening the lid handle.

Customer Service: I contacted customer service regarding the rust. They replaced the grill top. They shipped it within 4 days of my phone call. I called them 3 times to check on their status of sending the lid and asked each time for an email confirmation about shipping. This never happened, but they did provide a tracking number via the phone. Overall, the customer service seems fine, but then again it's very new and I admitted I would send it back to Amazon if the issue wasn't addressed quickly (I was within the 30 days for Amazon returns). In the manual it specifically states the grill is NOT covered by rust. So I would imagine after the initial 30 days, you'd just have to deal with the rust.

Some Pros:
- Solid stainless grill grates. My old grill had these and after 8 years they were rusted, but worked perfectly. These are nice and typically outlast the grill.
- Solid construction. Very sturdy grill once assembled.
- Gas-Tank pull out is a really nice back-saver and prevents you from banging the grill against other surfaces that would cause scratches (rust)
- Leaving off the Tank Exclusion Bar on the right side provides you with a nice spacious area for storing other grill related items.
- Assembling was not too bad. It's time consuming, as it's a big grill. But the instructions are great and items are labeled very well. Instructions for installing the side-burner and side table are poor, but if you look at the holes it's fairly straight-forward on what to do.
- 5 Burners | BTUs | Gets hot fast
- Price : Nice large grill with a good deal of stainless parts for a reasonable price in contrast to Brinkman, Charbroil, and other cheap brands. Also, it's at nearly 1/2 the price of most Weber grills in comparitive classes.
- Nice looking unit
- Customer Service seems pretty good
- Even heating. Great cooking
- Missing Parts on 1st order; AMAZON is amazing as always, taking care of the issue

Some Cons:
- Not all stainless. Painted steel in many places (Cabinet, bottom part of grill, top of lid, and doors). While it looks beautiful, be careful about nicking these areas as they rust fast.

Other Thoughts
Personally, I would keep this grill covered. My last grill was entirely stainless steel, including the cabinet, lower basin of the grill, and burners . But, I learned the hard way and left it out in the rain. The burners rusted away within two years, despite being stainless. Most folks know these things, but new grill owners may think like I did -- it's stainless! it doesn't need covered. But, depending on the grade of stainless that's used, and the fact that many parts are painted steel, this grill is best cared for by being covered. Amazon sells a Classic Accessories Veranda Barbecue Grill Cover (Medium fits this grill). I've owned this cover two times. It's excellent.

Stainless Steel Cleaner: It's a bit hard to find, but reading up on stainless cleaners and polishes over the years has led me to this product (not on Amazon unfortunately): Superior High Shine Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish. Really keeps the grill looking glossy, clean, and beautiful. Oil based too.

UPDATE 5/22/2014

Grill still in outstanding shape and working condition. Kept under a lanai and covered. The large back hole can easily be covered with foil rather than a plate. When I changed the lid I used foil with the same results. Out of curiosity I also covered the smaller horizontal vent holes to test temps. It gets dangerously hot, so be careful (800+ degrees).

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Satisfied, May 2, 2013
Had my heart set on a Weber grill but couldn't get past paying $699.00 so I started researching for the next best thing. Boy I am sure glad I did. Found this beauty online for half the price. Took me about and hour and a half to put together. By far a well built grill indeed. This company sure did take a lot of pride in the building of this grill. Fires right up and cooks like a dream. You can't go wrong on this grill. Even when they send it to you it is well packaged with assembly pieces starting from beginning of instructions til the end. So here's your chance guys and gals to cook like the pros at half the price. Happy grilling!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Grill for the Price, May 23, 2013
Maximus (Medina, Ohio) - See all my reviews
Have had this grill for about a week now and have cooked on it 3 times so far. So far so good. Grilled burgers, hot dogs and steak and fish so far. Everything has come out great. The grill seems to heat up nicely for us. It was not too bad to put together, but did take longer than the 50 minutes the directions estimate. It looks nice and has plenty of grilling space. I would recommend buying the cover that they have matched with this grill. It is a nice cover and has straps that snap around the wheels of the cart to help the cover stay on, which was always a problem with prior grill covers. If anything changes about my opionion of the grill, I will update at as we grill more. As with all things, you have to put things in perspective. Is this the quality of a Weber? No, probably not. But it is half the price of a Weber. I didn't want to shell out $800 plus dollars for a grill, so I was looking for something more in the midpriced range that is still nice. So far this fits the bill for me at this price point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Grill!!, August 21, 2013
I had been doing a lot of research on a stainless steel grill, and I came across this one. The price was right and it seemed to be a good fit for our patio space. I am SO GLAD that I purchased this grill!!! It is everything we hoped for and then some. It's super easy to clean, easy to use, the side burner comes in handy, and best of all, the food we grill tastes delicious!! We have had friends over for dinner, and we've gotten nothing but stellar feedback about the food we've grilled. I hardly ever write reviews, but for this product, it was worth me taking the time to help someone else who may be looking for the perfect grill!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Grill I've Ever Owned, December 3, 2013
Awesome product... been looking for a grill for a long time and didn't want to settle. Pondered a Weber but the price was too steep. This one, on a HUGE discount from Amazon.com totally caught my eye. When shopping, here were my "have-to-have" features:

1. Stainless steel... nothing worse (as far as grilling goes, that is) than living in Florida and having your grill fall apart because the salty air ate away at it.

2. Large enough to cook for several people at once... just pulled off cooking 12 burgers, 8 hotdogs and 6 brats all in one session, at the same time.

3. Durable construction... this grill, based on reviews, has not disappointed at all. Everything down to the screws holding the propane tank are of good quality.

It's tough to buy sight-unseen and online but I'm glad I trusted my instincts with this grill. Will definitely tell others about it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not burn hot enough., October 11, 2013
Amazon Customer (Clinton, NC United States) - See all my reviews
Like the large grilling space. Was expecting a "bigger/hotter burn". I keep thinking my gas tank must be empty but I have put a new one on and it made no difference. Food will take a long time to cook and it is hard to sear the outside of anything. If I open the lid to cook it cools so fast things just sit there getting tougher rather than cooking. It's not been cold outside (in the 90's) so I would have expected better performance. A friend tells me that the more I use the grill the better it will burn...we will see. I will review this again if I find it improves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great bang for the buck -, February 22, 2014
Richard Bennett (Halethorpe, MD United States) - See all my reviews
Ordered this grill to replace a Kenmore that had rusted out prematurely (religious use of cover didn't seem to help much). It sucks when a $300 grill needs $120 worth of parts after just 2 1/2 years. Put that replacement part money into this one instead.

First the good:
- Heavy. Also, large cooking area. Measures same as grill I am replacing. Casters on all 4 feet make moving it a breeze.
- Stylish. The color accent matches the scheme on my deck. Nice look to it. Shiny inside.
- Quality. Looks well built. Uses a lot of built in nuts to make assembly easier than it might otherwise be.
- Easy use. Igniter can light any burner independently. Slide out tank holder. Grease cup has nice long handle.
- Price. The features and pure power you get for what you pay are amazing.

Now the negatives:
- Hood. It is a little shallower than old grill. I make a lot of drunken chickens and may have to find a way to prop hood open a few inches.
- Assembly. While I mentioned assembly was easier than it might otherwise be with the built in nuts, there were some problems. The directions aren't as clear as they could be. For instance, even though everything is labeled properly, I installed front brace upside down because you couldn't tell which way it should go from picture. I assembled alone and it was a good 2 hours.
- Doors. There are brackets that you screw to the front to put the top door hinges into. All four screws stripped the sheet metal. This is one place where those built in nuts would have been great. Will go to Lowes to get either a larger screw or a small nut. As it is the doors are a little lopsided.
- Casters. They include only 1 locking caster. Two would keep it from moving around much better. With only 1 locking it can still pivot. This is minimized by how heavy the thing is, but would love to see a second locking caster.
- Grates. The grates have really wide distances between the wires. I haven't measured, but it looks like a thin hot dog could fall right through. Would like to see them tighter to prevent food from falling through.

My complaints are small compared to what I like about this grill. It's nearly a perfect grill. I saved the grates from my Kenmore because they actually fit this one as well. I might swap them out if my fear of food falling through materializes. Another minor gripe is that the warmer rack is stationary. It doesn't move out of the way when you open the hood like almost every other rack does. Since I rarely use the warmer rack, I just keep it off. If you tend to use warmer racks a lot, this may be annoying.

Overall I feel good about my purchase. The four stars I'm giving it are a STRONG 4 stars. If a few of my gripes were fixed it's definitely a 5-star item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Grill!, June 17, 2013
I like to grill out as much as possible in the summer, but my old bbq was falling apart. My brother noticed that I needed a grill upgrade, so he bought me this Dyna-Glo grill for my birthday. What an awesome present!

The instructions were easy to follow, so it was not difficult to assemble.

This is the best grill I have owned, and it has plenty of btus and heats up great for searing meat. I also like the size, since I like to cook for a lot of people, and I like all of the stainless steel.

Over the last 3 weeks since I got it, I've tried several recipes. I made a cedar plank salmon recipe that my wife loved. I made really good beer can chickens. I also made some bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeños that were so good, even though I burned the first batch (I forgot to turn the left side down to medium and it got too hot). My bad. Fortunately, I had prepped a lot of extras and when I turned the heat down a little, they were great.

But the best was the night that we did huge Porterhouse steaks. I seared them on high perfectly on the outside, and they were a juicy medium rare on the inside, even better than the steakhouse down the street (and so much cheaper). They were so good.

I am very happy with this grill.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great grill...great price!, May 30, 2013
I love our new grill! Look great, cooks great and was easy to assemble. It is the perfect size, not too big, not too small.

Dyna-Glo DGE Series Propane Grill, 5 Burner, Bronze