5.0 out of 5 stars Tin-can to almost Mercedes feeling, no joke!
Published on September 13, 2007 by Carl Kriesant

2.0 out of 5 stars OK for doors but pure waste of massive cost and labor for floor pan under carpet!!!
I paid a local shop to install a double layer of dynamat in the front and rear doors of my 2007 Toyota Highlander. $500 labor and $300 material. It did "thunk" and blocked a lot of sound from passing cars but did not reduce road noise from my own tires... measured at 83 dB at driver ear at 35mph and 86 dB at driver ear at 65mph. I read a lot of reviews stating that...
Published on July 14, 2012 by Speaker Guy

5.0 out of 5 stars Tin-can to almost Mercedes feeling, no joke!, September 13, 2007
This review is from: Dynamat 10455 18" x 32" x 0.067" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener with Xtreme Bulk Pack, (Set of 9) (Automotive)
I've had the dynamat installed in my '04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport for about a month now and it was well worth the effort. When I say effort, I tore out my entire interior to install this stuff. Inner and outer door skins, entire floor (doubled up in places), trunk (doubled up again), rear hatch, and under my hood. It took a total of about 17 hours to install and trashed my hands, cuts and sore for several days. I used the dynamat heavy-duty roller for most of the installation and the handle of the roller to push the material into tight crevacises. My entire car, exluding the roof, took 2 3/4 bulk packs. I still have some left over and trying to figure out what to do with it...

The results: You could say I was skeptical like other users, mostly because I hadn't known anyone who used it or what dynamat was even made of really. It's basically sheets of tar (butyl rubber) backed with thick aluminum foil. This stuff is heavy, but pretty thin and tucks into tight places pretty easily. While at first I noticed an increase in my cars weight, it seems to be less noticable the more I drive. What's more noticable is the quiet ride and solid-feeling the car now has. The doors really do close with a thud and not that reverberating tin-can sound like before. The entire chassis feels much more rigid and stiff, like a higher priced, luxury car. My roommate, who drives a Benz C-class, said the stiffness was immediately apparent and the road noises was significantly reduced. This girl loves to drive and she was pretty impressed with the results.

The amount of road noise from freeways was almost difficult to carry on conversations or listen to music clearly before. Much more quiet now. If you've ridden in a subaru impreza, you know how loud they are! While it's not Lexus quiet, it's much, MUCH better than a stock subaru. There's still some noise, but I wasn't able to cover the firewall as much as I would have liked and my tires are lousy. When new tires are needed, I'm going back to a quality set and that should help a lot more. (BTW, Bridgestone-made Fuzion HR's suck a$$, but they are cheap.) I'm going with Bridgestone Turanza's next time.

My intention was purely to block out road noise and make a more comfortable environment for myself and passangers. A bonus to killing the road noise was the improvement in my cars audio quality. I had previously installed an Alpine h.u., Alpine speakers and Audiobahn d-class amp w/ a 10" sub and it really brought my system to life. I never knew what mid-bass was till after the dynamat was installed. I'm amazed to get that much thump, out of 6 1/2" door speakers!! I had to go back into the headunit and re-adjust my equalizer because the entire soundstage totally changed. It really allows me to enjoy my music to it's fullest without an amp for the door speakers, which is nice! My music consists mostly of hardcore, metal-core, metal and punk. The dynamat really brought out crisp, clean sound that wasn't distorted at higher volumes like before. It's also allowed me to tune in really precise and crisp bass hits from my single 10", enough to make my rearview mirror droop with each hit. I love hearing and feeling the kick drums in heavy music.

All-in-all, I am extremely pleased with the results. At first I was tired and my hands and back ached from two straight days of installation, all the while thinking "what the hell am I doing!?". But now, I can sit back on a drive, carry on conversations without raising our voices, listen to my music with better definition and clearity, or enjoy a nice peaceful interior alone. It's been well worth the effort.

Would I do it all over again??

In a heartbeat on this car. Hopefully the next car will be more quiet from the factory... if not, I'll probably dyanmat that one too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxury and comfort in a box, April 20, 2008
doc (Nowhere Important) - See all my reviews
I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical at first, but I am now a believer.

To begin with, if you look at the trend of reviews on Dynamat, it tends to show that people are either completely satisfied (5 stars) or unsatisfied (1 star). I suspect that those who are giving one star ratings either don't know how to properly install the product or they just expect miracles.

I have a '07 Camry which I love but roadnoise has been getting to my sensitive hearing lately. *NOTE: I have a leather interior which lends to a louder interior when compared to an upholstered interior. My biggest problem was music listening when driving on long hauls over roads that are rough. I would have to crank up the radio to hear it, and it was not even intelligible at that. With this bulk kit, I was able to line nearly my entire trunk, the rear speaker decklid, and the floorboard beneath the rear seat where the gastank sits. The results are phenomenal!

I am not prepared to tear out my entire interior to do the ceiling and floorboards and firewall, but beware it is a lot of work. With having prior knowledge of how to tear down my car, it took me 8 hours to completion for the rear of my car. Seriously consider taking your time to install it, and do it the right way.

If you do a rush job, you will have a rushed-job results and you won't be happy. You have to prep the surface which is just fine with a can of Denatured Alcohol and a white rag. It is imperative that you roll this substance on real good. The performance of this product depends on how you tack it to the surface. The more contact it has with the surface (ribs and creases and all) the better it will perform. I highly recommend the rubber hand tool as it conforms easier to bends in the metal making it easier to form. I suspect the wooden tool would do just fine, but it may be harder since it doesn't have any "give" to it for forming those tough spots.

I am very happy with my results. Without doing the whole car, I have cut my road noise in half literally. I notice no roadnoise from the rear now, it's all from the doors and front, etc. but I am not prepared to tear out my interior. The stock speakers in the car perform 200% better, although they still suck. Before the application I wasnt able to turn up the volume without losing the bass completely. Now I have decent full-range sound and I no longer have to turn up the radio to hear it. I used to turn up the volume to 26-30 just to hear it (which I still couldn't understand because of the noise). Now, I leave it at around 15 and never have to turn it up to hear it or even understand the music! No joke.

One last note on installation: if you aren't worried about the look of the install (because it is going to be covered with carpet, etc.) don't be afraid to cut it up. You will more than likely use every piece. It is much easier to work with in strips. Large curves are a son-of-a-gun. The product is very thin, but very tough. AVOID AIR POCKETS!

5.0 out of 5 stars My doors go "kfump" now, instead of "klang", May 14, 2008
Dane Shepherd (Gulf Coast, Florida) - See all my reviews
I agree with the others; anyone who doesn't like this product must have installed it wrong.

I have a 2000 Honda CR-V SE. I lined the underside of the hood, the entire roof, all four doors (inside the doors and the surface), much of the floor, the spare tire well, the rear quarters (inside, behind the rear speakers) and lots of the tailgate with two (2x) Bulk Packs (9 sheets each.) I had not planned to line the roof, but after gutting the seats, all trim panels, and all the carpeting it seemed worthwhile. I cannot explain how differently the vehicle sounds now. EVERYONE compliments it (including my wife, who could not understand why I was spending the time and money on the project in the first place, but now wants me to Dynamat her Solara!) The doors go "kfump". Knocking on the hood, roof, or doors sounds like hitting a solid wood desk. There are NO vibrations or rattles in the car whatsoever (I also got some cheap self-adhesive felt sheets from a hobby store and lined the ashtray, glove box, and little change compartments. Now it's like driving around with ear muffs on. There is still some road noise, because I have pretty knobby tires, but the incredible thing is that I can no longer hear my exhaust from the rear of the car, and sometimes I'll look sideways and notice an 18 wheeler beside me that I did not even hear. When I pass vehicles going the opposite direction I am used to the "whee-owwww" as they go by, but now it is a "whiff", or just silent.

Lining the roof made a huge difference when driving in the rain, but since the windshield is so noisy in a downpour the cabin is still pretty loud, but there is no "ratta-tat-tat" from the metal anymore at all.

I bought a heat gun and the rubber Dynamat roller specifically for this project (though I'm sure I'll get plenty more use out of the heat gun). I agree with many of the other reviewers that if you do not press this stuff down in FIRM contact with your vehicle that you will not get the best results. I've done MUCH (much, much, much, much...) research on this and the bottom line is that this product is so effective because of "vibration damping", NOT sound blocking. If you hold a sheet up in midair between you and a speaker it will have no effect. If you glue it to the speaker you will virtually stop the sound.

I can also go on about how AMAZINGLY different that my stereo sounds, but I think everyone else covered that. Yes; more mid-bass. Yes; you will hear things in your music that you never heard before. Something that surprised me though was how much quieter your music is OUTSIDE your car. I am not a loud person, and I always turn the volume down at stop lights, and in residential neighborhoods, but one time I stepped out of my car and left the stereo on at a pretty comfortable level. When I closed the door I could not hear it at all. Nothing. Nada. That was a nice bonus.

This stuff is incredible when installed right. Amazon had the best prices in all my searches. You will ache, you will probably bleed, but a weekend or two of hard work should reward you for years. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but Effective, July 2, 2007
I decided to go with Dynamat to reduce road noise in my Jeep Liberty as the all-terrain tires were unbearably loud at highway speeds after a few hours. Amazon had the best prices on the bulk packs by far so I bought two to cover all four doors and the floor of my Jeep Liberty. I ended up with two sheets (3 sq ft) left over which should be enough to cover the rear gate when I have an afternoon to kill.

The metal backing is incredibly sharp and it conducts electricity, so a co-worker warned me to take great care to ensure that the wires do not come into contact with any of the edges. It's no easier on your finger tips either! I found out the hard way that you should not cover any contact points between the trim panels and doors if you want the panels to fit as snugly as they did before the installation. With the great care and lessons learned, all four doors took approximately 20 hours to install and the floor took close to 30 more. I'm certain an experienced installer could have done the job in half the time.

The results of just the doors were impressive enough, but covering the floorboards made a tremendous difference. At 75 mph, I now listen to the radio at 18 instead of 30, which is an approximate 40% reduction in cabin noise. More impressively is the sudden emergence of midrange and punch from the base that makes me wonder if somebody stuck a subwoofer in my console. With no adjustments to treble or bass, the premium Infinity speakers now sound almost worth what the dealer charges!

Despite the high cost in initial expense, weekend sweat, and finger tip slashing, Dynamat has lived up to the hype. Hearing is believing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive upgrade, June 12, 2010
KazooIDo (Deep In The Heart Of ...) - See all my reviews
Own a Honda CR-V & an Accord. Both notable for the amount of road noise transferred inside vehicle, making conversation & music listening difficult.

Purchased Dynamat when replacing the V's speakers [new ones - Polk DB651's-Polk Audio DB651 6.5-Inch Coaxial Speakers (Pair, Silver). Did not encase entire door. Covered speaker install areas completely, then applied strips & patches to metal areas around door frame. Also placed Dynamat under carpet under rear seats. Placed another type of sound deadening media in trunk & spare tire area. Sound difference is amazing. Will probably redo entire rear area with Dynamat. Took me about 5 hours to change speakers & Dynamat doors & under seat.

On the Accord, also replaced speakers [new ones - Alpine SPS-17c2's] following same procedure as with V. In addition, removed trunk liner & spare. Covered floor pan & side walls. Also covered rear shelf from underneath, along with bracing struts. Sound difference in the Accord is more amazing. The more thorough Dynamat coverage has created a much more quiet car. Took me about 9 hours to do Accord speaker replacement & Dynamat coverage.

Some advice about the install process. 1.] Buy a trim removal kit, such as Actron CP5011 Panel, Trim and Molding Removal Set. Makes removing interior panels & other trim pieces much easier & neater. Can also use curved pieces to roll down Dynamat to insure tight fit. 2.] be sure where you want to place your Dynamat. Once applied & rolled down, you can't move it without making a black, sticky mess. 3.] might think about using gloves when applying Dynamat. Sharp metal edges & bare skin don't go well together. 4.] much safer to cut Dynamat with it lying flat on the ground.

All in all, a great purchase. Can listen to music in both vehicles with volume level between 10-15. Road noise is now muted at much lower levels than before. Highly recommend Dynamat 10455 Xtreme Bulk Pack 9 Sheets to anyone with minimal mechanical skills who want a quieter car

4.0 out of 5 stars 2008 mustang Road Noise, November 12, 2009
RB "RB" (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
Just purchased 2008 Mustang with low miles. I found alot of road noise at highway speeds. I had
Dynamat installed in the trunk and what a difference. The mustang had no insulation in the trunk
except for a thin piece of carpet, if you can call it that. It was not cheap to have this done and I
soon learned I could buy Dynamat for 50% off list price at Amazon.com and install it my self. The best way
to purchase it is the 9 sheet pack. I did one door myself so far and plan to do the second door and the floor
at a fraction of the cost. The noise level is down 50% right now from where I want it. The product is easy to
install, but make sure you buy the roller too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rattles are for babies, December 23, 2007
This has a lot of uses beyond car applications. I used a sheet of it on the drywall behind in-wall speakers to cut the amount of sound radiating through the back wall and tighten the sound. I used a sheet of it inside a computer case, to eliminate a tinny rattle that came from the case vibration while it was on. You can even put pieces of it on the inside of washing machine or dryer panels to make them quieter.

It does have one drawback, and that's the fact that once you stick it on something, you will not be able to get it off without making a big mess. It is essentially tar with a foil outer cover, and trying to get it off just leaves a bunch of sticky tar behind. So, choose the place you want it carefully before sticking it down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don, June 8, 2010
Regarding a roller for dynamat. Check your local hardware store for some great rollers. Lowes has a roller in the tile/floor department. It has three plastic roller heads and works great with Dynamat and other materials. Hope this helps all of you.

Don

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe the difference, July 20, 2008
I own a 2001 Nissan Xterra. These vehicles are very noisy. So, I decided to do a little investigating on the matter and came across Dynamat and am I ever glad I did! I purchased 2 boxes because I wanted to make sure I had enough.

Day 1 - I started with the front doors ... then moved to the passenger doors ... next moved to the rear panels. I still had a lot of sheets left and decided to cover the entire cargo area. It did take me all day (started at about 9 am and finished around 8:30 pm). Once I finished ... I got in the car and took a drive. I immediately could tell a huge difference! Since I had another full box ... I decided to do the floor.

Day 2 - This was another all day job, but near as long as Day 1. The hardest thing for me was getting the bolts removed from the seats. I didn't cover the entire floor ... however, I would say 95% of the floor is covered. I put everything back in it's place and took another test drive (both test drives included the highway). All I can say is WOW! I'm absolutely blown away by this product! I don't have to turn the volume up on my radio to hear it! The stereo sounds 10 times better (which I just installed a new JVC head unit with new Alpine speakers). And I still have 4 sheets left! It's like the never ending product!

If anyone doesn't get results from this stuff ... then they just aren't installing it correctly. You're going to always have some road noise (you need to so you can hear emergency vehicles). But this stuff probably cut about 70% of my road noise. I can't wait to have people in the rear seat so we can actually carry on a conversation!

I recommend the Dynamat roller ... or one equivalent to it. I bought a small one at the hardware store that is used for wallpaper. It was a little too small and was made out of wood.

It does have sharp edges ... but if you take your time and keep this in mind, then you won't have any issues. I have 2 small, paper cut like cuts and that's it. It is also heavy ... so keep in mind you're adding some extra pounds to the car ... The label on the UPS box say one box weighs around 23lbs.

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to take the remaining 4 sheets and do the roof ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy, easier then I expected., May 31, 2008
The 9 sheets included in this kit definitely arent enough to do an entire car if youre going for lots of coverage. I used all 9 sheets on the inside of the trunk of my Cobalt. Cutting them was very easy, I used a razor knife, and put the piece to be cut on top of some cardboard. I was expecting the mastic to gum up the blade quickly, but surprisingly it didnt, even with the dynamat out in the sun as I worked.

Using a roller it stuck well to even strange contours in my trunk.